• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's next for Blizzard/What would you like to see from Blizzard after Overwatch?

I can't believe no one quoted my fighting game post and replied with

WSjHuci.jpg

spcd

Blizzard has been releasing some patches for Diablo 2 recently. 1.14a was released in march from this year and few days ago with the ladder reset 1.14c was released.

The patches didn't contain any noteworthy changes. Mostly compatibility stuff for newer operating systems.

So yeah, I only want them to keep working on diablo 2 :D

Hari Seldon

Overwatch needs private servers and custom maps if they want it to have legs. FPS is just too competitive a market.

Also I wonder at what blizzards most profitable game is. I'm guessing Hearthstone. It wouldn't surprise me if blizzard tries another PC/mobile streamer friendly competitive game.

TheYanger

An MMO with as much content and polish as WoW would be pretty insane on console, that's for sure.

The problem with console wow, as I've brought up when it comes up before - the console players will be night and day disadvantaged from PC users, both due to controls as well as moddability/UI customization. I can't imagine them making a game that you are an actual shit tier pleb in if you buy the console version on consoles. I think future games will be more friendly to this style of play for sure.

good writing

They already have some of my favorite genre titles with Starcraft 2 and D3 but both these are so heavily tarnished by bad writing it's a pity. These Overwatch animation shorts are also like a 9-10/10 animation quality and 3-5/10 writing.

Everything else Blizz is top tier at, so yeh.

Desperately need a new MMO from anyone, the genre is pretty damned stagnant at the moment. Whether it's WOW2 or something original, I'd be down,

Online multiplayer, arcadey, competitive Rock'n Roll racing with lots of (cosmetic) customization and licensed music.
The Rocket League of the sorely missing "battle-racing" genre.

TheYanger

Desperately need a new MMO from anyone, the genre is pretty damned stagnant at the moment. Whether it's WOW2 or something original, I'd be down,

Yeah, much as I love both wow and overwatch as they are...
it kills me to know that Overwatch COUDLVE been an mmo.

If Overwatch was built from scraps of Titan I want them to give that another go. The characters and world we've only seen a small glimpse of show an amazing amount of potential. I'm not a fan of MMOs-honestly the only ones I've liked have been action focused and "light," such as PSO and Destiny. I would love playing an MMO that retained the action gameplay of Overwatch.

Ramirez

I want a fresh MMO from them. I know it'll likely never happen, but man those early days of WoW were absolutely amazing, I want a game from them to awe me like that again. Something where everyone starts from 0 again, WoW xpacs just don't scratch that particular itch.

The End

Honestly? I want them to take the same risks they put into both Hearthstone and Overwatch and build the next World of Warcraft expansion with that philosophy.

Overwatch was hardly a "risk"

they had millions of dollars of art assets developed for Titan sitting around and a relatively small team (by blizz standards) fashioned an MP shooter out of them.

I think we’re all dying to explore PvE at some point, but not for this game. Not for the initial offering of Overwatch, which is really focused on the team-based hero-action combat. So it’s something we’d like to get to someday in a different game.
From this thread

Give me Overwatch PvE. Titan was scrapped and salvaged for Overwatch, I want to see what they can pull for PvE with it.

Speely

Banned
Overwatch is such a good IP and so ripe with potential that I would like to see Blizzard start "small" and iterate upon it with co-op missions (like strikes ala Destiny) and any other ways to bring players into the setting/narrative fold through iterative content experiences. The entire structure of the game screams modular expansion to me, and they could just handle that at their own pace.

While this is happening, and since Blizzard has basically built an adamantium shield of invulnerability vs failure around themselves at this point, I would like to see them pour resources into a new kind of MMO that takes the genre to a new and better place. No one is gonna kill WoW any time soon, but in a couple years it will make sense (imo) to move on and "kill it themselves before anyone else does." Could be WoW2 for all I care... I just feel like there are very few devs in the MMO game that have both the talent AND the resources to force a paradigm shift, and Blizzard is foremost among those who can do so.

Another Diablo expansion with a new class. Warcraft 4 would be great but I don't think that will happen.

Would love to see them try an action RPG with a similar style to Overwatch.... But where would the money be in that?

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Another fantasy mmo in a new universe. I'd be up for WoW 2 but only if they went about it the right way. Of course it would never happen because they would never want to directly compete with themselves; having multiple mmos to run.

WoW legacy servers. Let me relive the past!

Warcraft 4. For new stories within the Warcraft universe.

They tend to make games as a service so I wonder what other genres or games they could even tackle that could fit within that model.

Apathy

Considering how long this new IP took to be created (I don't mean from 1998, but from when it was started as the Titan codename MMO), it might be a long ass time before we see anything new IP wise. They will most likely go back to one of the other IPs, but here is where it gets tricky.

Starcraft got its last expansion last year, and while it still sells a lot because it is starcraft, a lot of the market for RTS games has shrunk since 1998, let a lone from the time wings of liberty got released. This also kinda suggests that Warcraft 4 might not be their next thing yet. RTS is a dying genre, and yes, it's blizzard and it's warcraft, a name synonymous with RTS so it will still sell, but will it be massive? I don't think so. Blizzard are known to update mechanics of old genres to make them fresh so they could think of something to make RTS great again with War 4, much in the same way they had to update War 3.

Wow expansions will come out every 2 years like clockwork, despite them trying to do it every year.

Diablo 3 has hit its stride, so would they want to shake that up for a new one in the series?

I think for the time being Blizzard will buckle down with the IPs its got going and just pump out updates in terms of items or expansions depending on the games.

War 4 might actually be their next game release that isn't an expansion or update but it might be a while.

Personally I am happy that they were able to make something that seems like it's going to be a success with Overwatch when they found that the MMO they were building around it failed. I am also glad that they ventured out of their comfort zone in genres and did something really good, specially on their first time out.

I would like to see them try to go back to the third person genre that they left behind when they cancelled Nova, take a stab at that or perhaps something stealth related.

Top Bottom