• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with the 3DS?

Derrick01

Banned
I'm not going to be one of those "It's DOOOOMED" people, but the chances of me buying one now after E3 are pretty low. I'm not impressed with any of the games currently out and I was not impressed with any of the nintendo games shown at E3 and it doesn't look like any meaningful third parties are jumping on anytime soon so I don't see a reason to get it. I also don't like the psp-like control scheme, it was a huge problem on psp so it's a huge problem on 3DS.

And yeah, I'm a lot more excited for Vita especially for the same price. It's hard for me to guess if 3ds will be ok in the long run because it does feel like things have changed but I don't have any information to prove that feeling.

ShockingAlberto said:
It has become the battleground for stupidity on GAF.
AbsoluteZero said:
I don't remember people freaking out this much 4 months into the launch of other hardware.
xtrasauce said:
A console has few worthwhile games the first year of its release? Unprecedented!
Tucah said:
Do people not remember how system launches go? The software lineup is pretty normal as far as first years go.
All of these and more.

Being serious, I am genuinely curious as to why people are reacting so irrationally towards the 3DS. This topic shouldn't be about the 3DS's sales numbers, but rather why people are saying so many ridiculous things when the 3DS is brought up.

Does it have to do with the times? Do we expect more, faster? Are people going to spout gloom and doom when the Vita, Wii U, and other future consoles have system launches that fall in line with past precedent?

Does it have to do with Nintendo? Is this just another example of people wanting to predict the end of Nintendo? Is it different when Microsoft or Sony are launching a new console?

Mikey Jr.

The thing is, people are going to have to EVENTUALLY migrate to the 3DS, especially if they want to play the next Zelda or Mario. The DS isn't going to be supported forever.

The question is, do they migrate over to the 3DS, or to the Vita?

popeutlal

Cygnus X-1 said:
It's really 2004 all over again. I think that next months are going to be fun.
In 2004 pricey handheld dedicated gaming devices with pricey games were acceptable....in 2011/2012 this has became an alien concept.

3DS/Vita will be seen as niche gaming.

LoftyTheMetroid said:
All of these and more.

Being serious, I am genuinely curious as to why people are reacting so irrationally towards the 3DS. This topic shouldn't be about the 3DS's sales numbers, but rather why people are saying so many ridiculous things when the 3DS is brought up.

Does it have to do with the times? Do we expect more, faster? Are people going to spout gloom and doom when the Vita, Wii U, and other future consoles have system launches that fall in line with past precedent?

Does it have to do with Nintendo? Is this just another example of people wanting to predict the end of Nintendo? Is it different when Microsoft or Sony are launching a new console?

It's because the most bitter hate is Nintendo hate.

Magic Ovaries said:
In 2004 pricey handheld dedicated gaming devices with pricey games were acceptable....in 2011/2012 this has became an alien concept.

its still pretty necessary for anyone looking for a full gaming experience. youll never get that on an ipod because theres no market for $40+ games there.

Majmun

Why are people talking about a MGS 3D downgrade? What have I missed???

I personally still don't feel like buying a 3DS. Zelda Oot is the only game released that I want to play. Not worth it, yet.

But the 3DS will do fine eventually. But I don't expect the same success as the original DS.

Takao

Banned
Second said:
Why are people talking about a MGS 3D downgrade? What have I missed???

The game is visually worse than the PS2 version now, and worse than what was shown at E3 2010. It's clear Konami have cut the budget on it greatly.

Shiggy

60_gig_PS3 said:
its still pretty necessary for anyone looking for a full gaming experience. youll never get that on an ipod because theres no market for $40+ games there.

I feel games like Broken Sword are a full gaming experience. I would play them on a Nintendo handheld, but not for 40 € when they are available for less than 10 € on other platforms...

Majmun

Takao said:
The game is visually worse than the PS2 version now, and worse than what was shown at E3 2010. It's clear Konami have cut the budget on it greatly.

That sucks. :/
Let's hope this won't become a trend.

I dont think the release pace is any different from previous consoles.
Actually there probably more main franchise games coming in the first year than ever before.

The thing that makes the 3DS much better than DS launch is the opportunity for filler content in the meantime.
just give me more 3D game videos, demos, 3D movies, 3D classics and I will be a happy camper.

its not like were stuck playing Zookeeper for 3 months waiting for the next game to come out.

Duxxy3

Takao said:
3DS will still outsell Vita, even if I don't want that to be the case.

If the Vita gets released in November do you think the 3DS will outsell it in that month and December?

Mpl90 said:
Let's see
September: StarFox64, Bit Trip SAGA, Crush3D, Shinobi
October: Mario Kart 3D, Kid Icarus (I think)
November: MGS: Snake Eater 3D, Mario 3D, Sonic Generations, Tales of the Abyss, Cave Story 3D

Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, Mario 3d has no official release date. I doubt it'll release this year

yurinka

Mikey Jr. said:
The thing is, people are going to have to EVENTUALLY migrate to the 3DS, especially if they want to play the next Zelda or Mario. The DS isn't going to be supported forever.

The question is, do they migrate over to the 3DS, or to the Vita?
In really successful systems, people waits more time to migrate, typically because people is happy with the system and gets more support from developers during more time than normal systems. A lot of people still buys it after its death too because it's way cheaper and has a huge library, unlike the new one that is perceived as too expensive.

See the PS2 as an example (even if in that case PS3 was perceived as TOO MUCH expensive when released).

BurntPork

Banned
Takao said:
Depends on how many Sony can make.
You think that Vita will be totally sold out? Really? It'll sell well, yes, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's still a $250 handheld whose primary target audience is teenage console gamers. Unless you're implying that Sony will have production issues.

Cygnus X-1

Magic Ovaries said:

Regardless of the fact that 3DS is right now not popular, I do think it has the potential to make the difference thanks to the unique ability to product 3D pictures without glasses. Ocarina of Time convinced me that the potential is there and it looks so much better than any "fake" 3D picture. It's much more real and it seems you're really there!

Sure, it is possible that this latent capacity will never be used in the right way and thus you'll right: the handheld will remain something niche. It's up to Nintendo to prove us that 3DS is something different. But let me add that I would really be surprised to not see at least a couple of great games using the effect in an innovative way. I'm basing this statement on history: almost never happened that a Nintendo's system did not bring great games that used the hardware the right way (ok, excluding Virtual Boy, but let's forget it).

The Gameboy was the first mass market handheld. DS introduced touch screen gaming. NES introduced the d-pad; N64 was the first console displaying true 3D gaming and introduced the analog joystick; Wii introduced motion controls. The SNES did not have a single new point. Rather it was a great combination of an amazing controller, top notch graphics and audio and an incredible gaming library. Oh yeah: almost forgot mode 7 displaying the first "3D" games. The only console that did not bring almost anything was the Gamecube. And indeed it failed to attract more than 21 millions purchasers. Maybe it was deserved after all.

For that reason, I'm not saying that 3DS will be successful. I do not have the crystal ball and I don't know. But, again, the potential is huge, because it can do something that no other scheduled system can and this is a latent huge advantage. Point! This is a fact!!
Then, that it is not used properly or that Nintendo fail to make it relevant, that's another story! It would be disappointing though.

yurinka

BurntPork said:
You think that Vita will be totally sold out? Really? It'll sell well, yes, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's still a $250 handheld whose primary target audience is teenage console gamers.
Why teenage gamers?

It has both console games (both AAA PS3 IP and retro PS1 titles), typical handheld games (PSP, NGP) and mobile phone games (Minis, PS Suite).

In addition to this, it has both the most powerful hardware and the cheapest price in a current handheld.

I've had my 3DS since day one, just like I had the DS since day one. I'm finding far more 3DS games worth playing in the last few months than I did for DS in the same period in 2004. However, I, too, would like to see more decent 3rd party 3DS games. But as it stands, I'm not worried about the 3DS at all, nor do I regret my purchase at all.

Takao

Banned
BurntPork said:
You think that Vita will be totally sold out? Really? It'll sell well, yes, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. It's still a $250 handheld whose primary target audience is teenage console gamers. Unless you're implying that Sony will have production issues.

A bit of both. It's launching in the holidays, which will automatically make it one of the must have gifts as it isn't exactly grossly expensive, and Sony won't be pumping out 4 million to dump in North America. They'll sell out of what they ship at that point

commish said:
Handheld gamers are moving towards the iOS world. Not a surprise.

I'm a handheld gamer.

Don't own an iOS device.

The casual handheld gamer is moving to iOS, those who want big budget experiences won't be.

IMO Nintendo rushed out the 3DS, probably to take advantage of the recent 3D craze, to get a head start on Vita, and to take away attention from the flagging Wii software library. I'm guessing Wii U was also in the works already so they may have wanted to spread out the announcements.

If they can get a Mario title (Kart/platformer) out this holiday season, they should be in good shape.

Somnid

No way Sony will ship enough Vitas to meet demand or outsell 3DS. Also, a good portion of the ones they do sell will likely be scalped. They might win the "coveted holiday item" award though which can massively boost future hype and and sales though. If I were Sony I'd bet on that to help me overtake the 3DS, because they aren't going to win it in software, at least early on.

commish said:
No they're not. iOS is not an acceptable alternative for gaming, for me.
People who sit and play farmville on fb? Maybe so, but not for me.

yurinka

commish said:
Part of the ones who want to play cheap shovelware and bit sized games, yes.

But not the ones who want to play Mario, Zelda, Uncharted, Call of Duty or Metal Gear.

Try again when the iOS world gets proper console controls and proper AAA games from the main console IPs.

Somnid said:
No way Sony will ship enough Vitas to meet demand or outsell 3DS. Also, a good portion of the ones they do sell will likely be scalped. They might win the "coveted holiday item" award though which can massively boost future hype and and sales though. If I were Sony I'd bet on that to help me overtake the 3DS, because they aren't going to win it in software, at least early on.
Sony is in a very good place, even if they didn't unveiled all the Vita 3rd party games. They said they won't launch worldwide before christmas because they won't have enough devices manufactured.

About the software, how about if Call of Duty ends being a release title, and it isn't just a MW3 straight port?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Takao said:
I'm a handheld gamer.

Don't own an iOS device.

The casual handheld gamer is moving to iOS, those who want big budget experiences won't be.

Yes, of course I didn't mean every single handheld gamer on the planet. But the writing is on the wall. Most people will not want to spend $35 to $40 on a handheld game. If they want a big budget experience, that's why they have a 360/PS3.

And to those of you who are calling iOS games "shovelware" or think they are nothing more than flash games, you obviously haven't played much lately. But go ahead, dismiss iOS games. We'll see how strong third party support is for these next gen handhelds. I mean, there are already so many amazing 3rd party 3DS games on the horizon...

Despera

Banned
Mpl90 said:
Let's see
September: StarFox64, Bit Trip SAGA, Crush3D, Shinobi
October: Mario Kart 3D, Kid Icarus (I think)
November: MGS: Snake Eater 3D, Mario 3D, Sonic Generations, Tales of the Abyss, Cave Story 3D
So the ones I highlighted are the only new games this year on your list? Saying they're new is a bit of stretch by the way :lol

The 3DS is all about Beyond the Labyrinth, Resident Evil: Revelations and Time Travelers at this point. For me at least.

I'm really getting sick of sequels to age-old franchises and reiterations. I love Nintendo and their games, but isn't it time for them to dazzle us with something new?

Somnid

commish said:
Yes, of course I didn't mean every single handheld gamer on the planet. But the writing is on the wall. Most people will not want to spend $35 to $40 on a handheld game. If they want a big budget experience, that's why they have a 360/PS3.

And to those of you who are calling iOS games "shovelware" or think they are nothing more than flash games, you obviously haven't played much lately. But go ahead, dismiss iOS games. We'll see how strong third party support is for these next gen handhelds. I mean, there are already so many amazing 3rd party 3DS games on the horizon...

The types of support are not the same. How much more or less support volume-wise there is isn't really important in this instance. Capcom isn't making Monster Hunter iOS but they will throw out cheap cash-ins to it.

Meier

Futureman said:
or buy that Sword and Sworcery game on her iPad. Either way.
I have my own and played it some.. meh, didn't do much for me. Haven't touched it since the first time I played it (maybe 30-40 minutes in).

Cygnus X-1

yurinka said:
Why teenage gamers?

It has both console games (both AAA PS3 IP and retro PS1 titles), typical handheld games (PSP, NGP) and mobile phone games (Minis, PS Suite).

In addition to this, it has both the most powerful hardware and the cheapest price in a current handheld.

I've really have a lot of trouble understanding Vita's hype based only on the price. I have the impressions that lot of people got mesmerized because it is almost a miracle coming from Sony. Especially after PS3's price launch joke. And I agree with that! But keeping some objectivity, the single, great thing Vita has is multitouch. Period! This will open lot of doors from a gameplay point of view, but the rest...is like a portable PS3, which I'm sure will excite to death all current PS3 owners (me as well :)), but will not be enough.

People on GAF are forgetting that the original PSP had big software problems in the States and in EU and for that reason the handheld died long ago. Japan is another story tough, but this doesn't change the fact that Sony is aiming to the same audience. 3G inclusion is smart, but Sony will have troubles convincing iPhone and Android-phones owners to buy Vita. Mostly because it will still be understood as handheld gaming machine. So, how is his handheld supposed to reach a different audience outside the core one? I'm not trolling, but I really want people here to put their foots a bit more on earth!

Busaiku

Despera said:
So the ones I highlighted are the only new games this year on your list? Saying they're new is a bit of stretch by the way :lol
Sonic Generations is a new game.
It's more like Dead or Alive Dimensions and Samurai Warriors Chronicles though.

But there's also Rayman Origins.

Sadist

commish said:

Big budget experiences aren't found on handhelds either. Some of them have a "grand" experience, but they managed that with a tight budget. Software pricing should be lower? Sure.

And to be fair, every Nintendo handheld (also PSP) needed time to build up a decent library. Tine the handheld doesn't have according to GAF.

dsmoke1986 said:
Blame 3D, it's just not going to catch on mainstream...And that's the horse they tied their carriage too...They will end up taking a loss on this, quickly regroup and go out there with another handheld.

But the market is changing, Apple will own this space within 2 more years with Iphone/Ipad.

Imagine iPad 3 with glasses free 3D.

Nintendo exit left.

yurinka

commish said:

I'm a casual game developer with 6 years of experience. Top 5 game company in markets like java mobile phones, iOS or Facebook. Including 6 wordwide Top 1 games in the App Store and a lot of award winning or chart topping mobile phone games.

And I say a huge portion of the iOS casual games are shovelware garbage (this includes some of our cheap ass ports of java phones or Facebook games, something that are going to fix.). Even a way bigger portion than in the DS or Wii.

It doesn't mean iOS has some great games.

iOS and Android are mainly getting people who migrates from their old MP3 player or Java / Brew phone. A lot of these people played games in these old phones, a huge gaming market ignored from the console industry. iOS and specially Android will replace them, but won't replace the handheld consoles.

Hardcore handheld gamers still have and will have their handheld consoles, if they get an iOS or Android device is to migrate from their old phone and to complement the handheld console, because iOS devices doesn't and won't have proper console controls nor proper AAA games big console IP like Mario, Uncharted or Call of Duty.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Based entirely on my subjective experience so far, most "handheld gamers" moving towards iOS have been:

1. Casual console gamers mainly play the big western games like GTA and COD, who bought a DS because it was a gadget, hardly ever played it, and thought it "had no games".

2. The same "casual-core" console gamers who never bought a portable at all and are hyping up iOS as the second coming because they already have a smartphone... now it can play games that merit their attention span, like Cut the Rope! And Infinity Blade, which is like "wow a whole deep TRUE CONSOLE RPG in the palm of my hand. Look at those graphics! It's just like Gears of War!" Le snicker.

Generally, I have heard the second type hypocritically shrug off new portables with the logic "why would I buy another portable when my phone has one dollar games?" - but they never owned a portable game console in the first place, because they don't really play deep games outside of AAA "experience" movegames on their Xbox.

IMHO there are shitloads of hipster tech bloggers stuffing the channels with the "everything else is dead, WORSHIP iOS NOW!" message. These guys never f**kin' played games anyway. These are generally the same guys using the argument "millions of phones sell every quarter, how can Nintendo and Sony ever compete again!" Yes, because they're phones, that everyone buys to have a phone.

Wolfe

famousmortimer said:
In a world of iOS games that have games that are better, more fun and have more content at 99 cents than Pilotwings does at $40 --something has to give.

And that is what we call an opinion, I have yet to encounter a mobile game that captures my attention for more than 10 minutes at a time and I love handheld gaming.

Also as someone that bought a PSP on day 1 (I can't even remember what games I bought with it at launch, doesn't help that the only game I played for a few months was Lumines) I don't feel like I overpaid in the slightest.

With just my top 4 games played combined I have over 100 hours played on my 3DS and I didn't buy one till the very end of May. It disappoints me to see some of the third party support dry up at the moment but I'm not going to write it off before it's even gotten a chance to fail.

On a side note to the people complaining about MGS3D not being graphically superior to the PS2 version (cause really that it the ONLY argument I see against that game), what were you really expecting? The game looks arguably just as good, granted there is a noticeable difference when comparing screens side by side but as to if it looks worse it debatable imo. And unless I'm mistaken doesn't the 3DS have to output the game twice to achieve the 3D effect? I can only imagine that puts quite a load on the system.

One of the best looking PS2 games looks almost just as good (and in some ways better) on a handheld and in 3D, what a rip off!

Tobor

Kaijima said:
Based entirely on my subjective experience so far, most "handheld gamers" moving towards iOS have been:

1. Casual console gamers mainly play the big western games like GTA and COD, who bought a DS because it was a gadget, hardly ever played it, and thought it "had no games".

2. The same "casual-core" console gamers who never bought a portable at all and are hyping up iOS as the second coming because they already have a smartphone... now it can play games that merit their attention span, like Cut the Rope! And Infinity Blade, which is like "wow a whole deep TRUE CONSOLE RPG in the palm of my hand. Look at those graphics! It's just like Gears of War!" Le snicker.

Generally, I have heard the second type hypocritically shrug off new portables with the logic "why would I buy another portable when my phone has one dollar games?" - but they never owned a portable game console in the first place, because they don't really play deep games outside of AAA "experience" movegames on their Xbox.

IMHO there are shitloads of hipster tech bloggers stuffing the channels with the "everything else is dead, WORSHIP iOS NOW!" message. These guys never f**kin' played games anyway. These are generally the same guys using the argument "millions of phones sell every quarter, how can Nintendo and Sony ever compete again!" Yes, because they're phones, that everyone buys to have a phone.
You left one out:

3. Used to spend hundreds of dollars every year on dedicated handheld games, has owned Nintendo handhelds since the original GBA, and is now satisfied with iOS gaming. The DS and PSP have been sold.

I'm skipping the 3DS, the first time ever I haven't purchased a Nintendo handheld, ever. The jury is still out on the Vita, I might pick one up for the uncharteds and stuff like that. But the quirky, unique stuff I used to count on Nintendo to provide, as well as deep strategy/RPG experiences I like, iOS more than provides.

Despera said:

The 3DS is all about Beyond the Labyrinth, Resident Evil: Revelations and Time Travelers at this point. For me at least.

I'm really getting sick of sequels to age-old franchises and reiterations. I love Nintendo and their games, but isn't it time for them to dazzle us with something new?

So despite being a multiplatoform title Sonic Generations doesn't count?

yurinka

Magic Ovaries said:

Console developers have too big and expensive teams that can't afford a 0.99 or free price.

So you never won't see them focused in mobile phones, devices that doesn't have proper controls to play console-like games.

But you'll have the best iOS / Android games in Vita.
Duxxy3 said:
If the Vita gets released in November do you think the 3DS will outsell it in that month and December?
If it's releseased only in 1 market (likely) and it's Europe or Japan, yes. It will outsell 3DS in this market.

If it's USA, no unless it has Call of Duty as release game and it's not a crappy game or a straight MW3 port.

I think the big question here is still the Vita 3rd party announcements and specially releases before Christmas.

Top Bottom