• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with the 3DS?

StevieP said:
You mean like how PS3 software was kept next to the PS2 software at launch? And the how the "Xbox" section at your average Gamestop held both the 360 launch titles and OG Xbox titles for the longest time? Dear lord you guys are bonkers. Most of GAF has the memory of a goldfish.
That analogy doesn't work for a myriad of reasons -- one of which being the Xbox and PS2 didn't have a million revisions... DS Lite, DSi, DSiXL, whatever they were. People clearly knew PS3 > PS2 > PS1, for example. Pretty straight-forward.

StevieP

Banned
aggro crag said:
I'm pretty much done with my 3DS. I know Nintendo has a couple original titles coming, but it's frustrating that they think it's a great idea to basically port N64 games. I think the cancellation of Mega Man Legends is the final straw for me.

Anyone looking to buy a used 3DS?

I'll take it off your hands for $150.
Do people really do this little research? Or have memories that really forgot how the PSP and DS' first years went? How many SNES and N64 ports ended up on the DS? How many PS1 and PS2 ports ended up on the PSP?

That analogy doesn't work for a myriad of reasons -- one of which being the Xbox and PS2 didn't have a million revisions... DS Lite, DSi, DSiXL, whatever they were. People clearly knew PS3 > PS2 > PS1, for example. Pretty straight-forward.

You want to talk about product revisions, now? Man this is too easy. You can't be serious.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
StevieP said:
You mean like how PS3 software was kept next to the PS2 software at launch? And the how the "Xbox" section at your average Gamestop held both the 360 launch titles and OG Xbox titles for the longest time? Dear lord you guys are bonkers. Most of GAF has the memory of a goldfish.
It's more fun to have selective memory when making up arguments though. Arguing whether the 3DS is gonna take off or not isn't going to lead anywhere. Just play your damn games people, more fun for everyone!

Edit: To the gentleman above
basically port N64 games
You are a class act! Can I get you for my birthday party?

BurntPork

Banned
aggro crag said:
I'm pretty much done with my 3DS. I know Nintendo has a couple original titles coming, but it's frustrating that they think it's a great idea to basically port N64 games. I think the cancellation of Mega Man Legends is the final straw for me.

Anyone looking to buy a used 3DS?
Two. There are two N64 ports. And that's using the word "port" extremely loosely. You guys act as if that's all that they're making. And every system launches with a ton of ports and remakes in it's first year. Do you guys have amnesia of something?

Az987

all good things
I don't regret my purchase at all but then again I kind of knew there wouldn't be many games for a while. I've bought quite a few systems at launch and it's pretty much always like this.

However, publishers cancelling or holding back games does make me a little worried but I'm pretty sure it'll be fine once the big Nintendo games come out simply for the fact that it will get more people to buy the system.

When the system first launched I really enjoyed Pilotwings and now I'm having a lot of fun with Mercenaries and Zelda.

I never played OoT on N64 so it's cool to finally be able to experience it.

I think a big reason it's not selling very well is that people are confused. Nintendo released so many different version of the DS that now casual gamers/parents probably think that this is just another version of the old DS and don't understand that it is a different generation system. Not to mention the fact that it looks exactly the same.

I think they should have dropped the DS from the name but I can see why they didn't.

StevieP

Banned
Heavy said:
Go ahead. List all of these Xbox and PS2 variants...

You don't even have to look that far. How many variants of the PSP were there? Both on western shelves and Japanese shelves.

There are two N64 ports.

The virtual console versions - THOSE are ports. They had to be remade for the 3DS.

Vinci

Danish
Tucah said:
Do people not remember how system launches go? The software lineup is pretty normal as far as first years go. Nintendo's first party output for the system is fine - we're getting a new Mario Kart and Mario platformer in the first year!

I often wonder how many people are new to a generational transition and how poorly they tend to start out. It's rare when a system explodes almost immediately like the Wii did.

snesfreak

Banned
This thread keeps getting better, I bet next we'll get into how Nintendo failed cause they don't have every GB game ever made on the 3DS VC already.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Vinci said:
I often wonder how many people are new to a generational transition and how poorly they tend to start out. It's rare when a system explodes almost immediately like the Wii did.
Sometimes it feels as if over half of GAF is comprised of 17 year olds whose first game was Modern Warfare on the 360.

BurntPork

Banned
StevieP said:
You don't even have to look that far. How many variants of the PSP were there? Both on western shelves and Japanese shelves.

The virtual console versions - THOSE are ports. They had to be remade for the 3DS.
Yeah, I corrected myself. It's funny how people here define "port."

krumble said:
Had the 3DS since launch - absolutely LOVE it

Got a load of games I play all the time, I use the machine daily, love the fact that as time passes I get more and more spot passes as I go round town, and the online strategy may be slowly implemented... so was PSN back when that first launched.... the barebones shop from launch was terrible compared to whats in place now.

Picked up some of the lesser games as they have become budget as they are fun...
I think 3DS is my most played system in years
The only system that has given me this level of enjoyment early on was Dreamcast

I agree. I think the 3Ds is probably the best handheld out right now. Really hard to argue otherwise.
I mostly use mine for DS and DSi at the moment. There are some 3DS games I want like Dead or Alive and Pirates of the Carribean
im just not ready to drop $40 on a game just yet.

gwarm01

The 3DS seems to be going along the same path that the original DS did at this point in it's life. Let's see how she does once they get a price cut, a new revision that cuts out the obvious deficiencies, and some games that kids want to play.

Before anyone starts with the argument about smartphone competition in the mobile arena, I firmly believe the success of the DS and the GBA before it was largely due to the toy-like quality of the devices. These are systems that parents bought their young children, and every little kid wanted one. You buy a five year old a DS and your ten year old an iPhone.

delta25

Banned
I said it before and I'll say it again, give it time people, the thing hasn't even been out for half a year. This is Nintendo we're talking about, I have no doubts all you pessimist will be eating a shit ton of crow in the coming months.

delta25 said:
I said it before and I'll say it again, give it time people, the thing hasn't even been out for half a year. This is Nintendo we're talking about, I have no doubts all you pessimist will be eating a shit ton of crow in the coming months.
In months? I don't think so.

Takao

Banned
StevieP said:

Are you serious? He mentioned the PS2, and Xbox... Besides, the PSP's revisions replaced the unit before it, and they weren't marketed as a new holy grail to handheld gaming. In fact, outside of the Go, the PSP revisions were barely marketed and outside of the Go, none were on the market at the same time. Compare this to the DS, where the DSlite, DSi, and DSiXL are all still being made by Nintendo and sold to stores.

60_gig_PS3 said:
I agree. I think the 3Ds is probably the best handheld out right now. Really hard to argue otherwise.
I mostly use mine for DS and DSi at the moment. There are some 3DS games I want like Dead or Alive and Pirates of the Carribean

Is this the real life, or is this fantasy, caught in a landslide no escape from reality...

ampere

Remember the original DS? That thing launched with Mario 64DS and almost nothing else. Feel the Magic was interesting, but I don't think I purchased another game until I imported Jump Super Stars the August after (system launched in November).

I learned my lesson this time and I'm waiting for the price drop

delta25 said:
Once Mario Kart finally hits... shit gets real.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
People were excited when it was announced. The tech was impressive. and it looked lime it would have tons of 3rd party support right out the gate, and up until the Sept. 2010 announcement, people thought it'd make a Nov. launch, be reasonably priced, and have tons of great games at launch.

None of the above happened.

sfog

Takao said:
Compare this to the DS, where the DSlite, DSi, and DSiXL are all still being made by Nintendo and sold to stores.

I believe the DS Lite has actually stopped production, around when they dropped it to $99. I'm not positive on that though.

French

Banned
Mpl90 said:
Let's see
September: StarFox64, Bit Trip SAGA, Crush3D, Shinobi
October: Mario Kart 3D, Kid Icarus (I think)
November: MGS: Snake Eater 3D, Mario 3D, Sonic Generations, Tales of the Abyss, Cave Story 3D

Next year

RE: Revelations
Kingdom Hearts:DDD (for those who says "SE,looool..." ...FFXIII-2 is coming just one month after the Japanese release,and DDD is at 40-50%,from the Osaka team,not the Versus one,so...)
Rayman Origins (in 3D,oh God)
Beyond the Labyrinth
Rune Factory 4
Layton (we'll get the fifth next year)
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Luigi's Mansion
Animal Crossing
Paper Mario

And in Japan announcements are continuing, and we know N will shock us (not only with lacks of localisations :lol ).

So,stop with bothering. We'll enjoy the next months greatly.

P.S. It's time to do a DS / 3DS first nine months comparison.
Maybe, I'll do it later.
I'm sick of people saying DS was better XD

That's a pretty terrible list, actually.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
60_gig_PS3 said:
What the....?
60_gig_PS3 said:
Oh, hehe.

Takao said:
Is this the real life, or is this fantasy, caught in a landslide no escape from reality...
It can play DS games, VC games and 3DS games so technically he's right. Although if he's talking about 3DS library vs. PSP library vs. DS library, Idk what to say.

I actually *really* want a 3DS. I just can't justify the expense right now. I'm really not that into portable gaming and I really am not interested in lugging yet another electronic device with me to and from work.

But man....it'd be fun as hell to play some DOA or Zelda while I sit on the train for an hour and a half each way....

Maybe after a price drop.

Yazus

When the 3DS was firt announced I was so hyped.

Then it got relased and I was basically no "system seller" games (for me.. every gamer has his own opinion about a game, and no game for me was out at that time).

And there is yet no game that makes me wanna buy a 3DS.

But I just look at Fall 2011 and it makes me wanna cry of joy.
Tales of Vesperia is actually my 2nd favourite Tales ever.
Mario Kart.. I'm a fucking HUGE Mario Kart fan.
HOLY SHIT SUPER MARIO 3D. SUPER MOTHERFUCKING MARIO IN THREE MOTHERFUCKING DIMENSIONS.
Then there is 2012 wich brings us KH wich is cool and fucking Paper Mario old style bitches with battle mode and holy shits.
So pumped... I have to wait, yes. But I wont be disappointed.

Bumhead

Banned
LevityNYC said:
Played 5 hours of Excitebike? Seriously, you paid 250 dollars to play a 25 year old game?

I love this sort of comment.

Obviously Excitebike is the only game he will EVER play on the 3DS.

Takao

Banned
Yazus said:
When the 3DS was firt announced I was so hyped.

Then it got relased and I was basically no "system seller" games (for me.. every gamer has his own opinion about a game, and no game for me was out at that time).

And there is yet no game that makes me wanna buy a 3DS.

But I just look at Fall 2011 and it makes me wanna cry of joy.
Tales of Vesperia is actually my 2nd favourite Tales ever.
Mario Kart.. I'm a fucking HUGE Mario Kart fan.
HOLY SHIT SUPER MARIO 3D. SUPER MOTHERFUCKING MARIO IN THREE MOTHERFUCKING DIMENSIONS.
Then there is 2012 wich brings us KH wich is cool and fucking Paper Mario old style bitches with battle mode and holy shits.
So pumped... I have to wait, yes. But I wont be disappointed.

Let's be honest here, KH is probably 2013. It'll probably be fall 2012 in Japan.

Also, I'm sorry to break it to you, but Vesperia isn't coming to 3DS.

Lord_Byron28 said:
It can play DS games, VC games and 3DS games so technically he's right. Although if he's talking about 3DS library vs. PSP library vs. DS library, Idk what to say.

This is like me declaring Vita as best handheld ever because it can play PSP, NeoGeo, PSone, TurboGrafx, and potentially more on day 1. Just because it has a huge library via BC doesn't mean that suddenly corrects it lack of any platform specific software.

evangd007

60_gig_PS3 said:

I'd say 90% on my gaming in the past few months has been split 50/50 between PC and 3DS. On the contrary, I've found this year to be terrible for console releases and can't really figure out what new release is pushing so many 360s out the door.

Easy_D said:
Sometimes it feels as if over half of GAF is comprised of 17 year olds whose first game was Modern Warfare on the 360.

Every new wave of juniors makes this place more western-centric.

I'm reasonably pleased with my 3DS purchase. The Virtual Console + my DS backlog is keeping me pretty busy, so I can stand to wait a few months before the big Nintendo titles begin hitting the system.

Phenomic

In short Price.

I think Nintendo is really going to move into a place where they are going to have a lack of a cost based incentive for people to go out and buy the thing. 249.99 for a handheld. I think about that and wonder why would anyone care enough to do this. I found my friend an old generation Wii for 75 dollars. On the other hand my brother got his PS3 for around 199.99.

In the case for that PS3 I'm looking at that going... Hey I can get a huge powerful console with tons of great content for 50 dollars less. Or I can turn around and buy a handheld that doesn't have very appealing software for the most part among other personal reasons someone has.

I also look at the base Vita model for 249.99. It looks better at least in my opinion and has more games that look appealing to me for launch. It's the same price and I'd much rather have the latter.

ampere

French said:
That's a pretty terrible list, actually.
?

StarFox64
Mario Kart
Kid Icarus
Mario 3D
Luigi's Mansion
Animal Crossing
Paper Mario
Were we reading the same list?

If Nintendo franchises don't interest you, then wow it isn't a very good list! :O

I'm not quite sure why someone who doesn't enjoy Nintendo franchises would purchase a Nintendo system.

SmokyDave said:
Let's retitle this topic "List Famous Nintendo Franchises From The Past 20 Years" because that's pretty much all that's gonna happen in here.

Haha! So true. I was excited about Zelda and such but now that I have it ... well, yeah. But, like every DAY ONE system purchase it's a slow trickle. I just wish there was a new Mario at launch for something play. I've put more time in Pokemon White than anything on my 3DS.

caligula13 said:
the question is: what is up with all the people on gaf asking what is up with 3DS or Wii U?

I think that should be obvious. GAF knows more about the internal workings of these companies and industry projection than the companies themselves!

RIP 3DS................nah

it's off to a shitty start yes but i hope it'll pick up. I'm still pissed they are waiting til September to release Star Fox 64 3DS, its ready now :/

Takao said:
This is like me declaring Vita as best handheld ever because it can play PSP, NeoGeo, PSone, TurboGrafx, and potentially more on day 1. Just because it has a huge library via BC doesn't mean that suddenly corrects it lack of any platform specific software.
You technically wouldn't be wrong either to say Vita is better. I also specifically mentioned if he was talking about platform exclusive content(which he wasn't) then he'd be wrong. There's no right or wrong way to compare two different handhelds. Backwards compatability definetly can be a huge factor to a consumer because of all of the additional games one could get with the system. Sure when people get into list wars they shouldn't include back catalog but I don't see why a consumer should disregard backwards compatability as that would be a huge plus for me as a consumer.

Sadist

caligula13 said:
the question is: what is up with all the people on gaf asking what is up with 3DS or Wii U?
Well I'd almost quote ShockingAlberto but that would be too easy.

In short, people on NeoGAF of all freaking places (you know, the board with a pretty good amount of people willing to spend time on discussing videogames and its trends) are complaining about a handheld (this applies for newly released consoles as well) which isn't setting the world on fire because it's like four months old, has a limited library of games and is quite pricey.

Take the above in consideration. Now, let's just assume these people who are complaining about the current 3DS situation experienced other console launches. The launches and first year software. What happened back then?

Yup. Not everyone is paying attention.

Most people here on these types of forums and in the media have no idea (ignoring on purpose?) that the 3DS is actually selling in line with the original DS when it first launched.

They also seem to be forgetting that the DS' first 6-9 months was a ghost town (it wasn't until the second wave of games around September/October when the DS finally hit its stride), in comparison, the 3DS has a much stronger 1st year lineup than the original DS did.

Also, the GBA constantly outsold the DS during it's first year and a half of so of it's life, but the media don't seem to want to acknowledge that...

Furthermore, this whole concern about consumers/retailers getting confused about the 3DS simply being another model of the DS (ALA DSi/Lite). You do realise that people had the exact same concerns with the GBA, where consumers supposedly thought that the GBA was another model of the original Game Boy ("A GBC with a bigger screen"). That didn't stop it from being a huge success...

In short, kneejerk reactions from those who either want to jump to conclusions or spread FUD. Chill out and be patient!

If we see a large lack of support at TGS, then you can start to worry.

ViolentP

ciaossu said:
Were we reading the same list?

If Nintendo franchises don't interest you, then wow it isn't a very good list! :O

I'm not quite sure why someone who doesn't enjoy Nintendo franchises would purchase a Nintendo system.

I'm not a fan of Nintendo franchises but I'm a fan of good games. Of that list, Mario 3D, Paper Mario, and the unmentioned MGS game are the only things in the horizon that remotely interest me. Mario Kart is a possibility.

While they are sure to be quality games, the library still seems a bit barren getting close to that year mark. A killer-app would have likely made most of this a non-issue though.

ViolentP

Count Dookkake said:
Can't wait for the all-you-can-eat crow feast for the gloom-and-doom crowd.

3DS will do fine.

You realize they can say the exact same thing about those touting success prematurely, right?

Top Bottom