• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's up with the 3DS?

alphaNoid

Banned
2012, YEAR OF THE 3DS!
KuGsj.gif

I feel it's been on a downhill spiral since late last year:

- poor battery life
- paltry online features
- delayed eShop
- crap launch
- screen scratching hardware flaw
- price; compounded by Vita for $250
- Metal Gear Solid 3D downgrade
- minimal information surrounding early 2012 titles
- Resident Evil Mercenaries save data scandal
- delays
- cancellation of Mega Man Legends 3

I'm actively getting rid of mine as we speak.

snesfreak

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:

- poor battery life
- paltry online features
- delayed eShop
- crap launch
- delays

LOL

I still think the 3DS will be fine. It just has no games right now.

However, I do think that the 3DS won't be as successful as the DS or GBA was. There are just so many other factors that will give Nintendo and the 3DS a uphill battle they never faced before.

I love the system though.

theBishop said:
Vita = 5"
PSP = 4.3"
DS XL = 4.2"
PSP Go = 3.8"
3DS = 3.5"
DSi = 3.3"
GBA = 2.9"

PSP's 4.3" screen was considered huge on a handheld in 2004. 3DS is a little on the small side, but it's one of the biggest screens Nintendo has ever used.
Worth noting that considering the two screens put together rather than solely looking at the top, 3DS's screen area is closer to Vita than it is to PSP. DSiXL is still waaaay above any of them, though.

BurntPork

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:

- poor battery life
- paltry online features
- delayed eShop
- crap launch
- delays

Your fault, not Nintendo's.

Blame 3D, it's just not going to catch on mainstream...And that's the horse they tied their carriage too...They will end up taking a loss on this, quickly regroup and go out there with another handheld.

But the market is changing, Apple will own this space within 2 more years with Iphone/Ipad.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
sales numbers seem fine to me

personally, i'm waiting for that damn Animal Crossing to drop

fuckin love animal crossing

[Nintex]

Shiggy said:
His fault for buying one in the first place?
Shiggy you know about this more than I do, but from what I gather a whole bunch of 3DS projects have been cut behind the scenes. Take N-Space they said to be working on 3 3DS projects, but only one was announced.

BurntPork said:
Your fault, not Nintendo's.

No, it's not my fault at all. In fact if anything I contributed more to the platform than the millions of people who didn't buy one and are actively killing it. I bought it on the potential that it was going to be good. It was Nintendo as well as third parties which failed to live up to that.

Shiggy

jon bones said:
sales numbers seem fine to me

personally, i'm waiting for that damn Animal Crossing to drop

fuckin love animal crossing

Just play AC DS. Based on AC DS and AC Wii not much will change. I'd only go back to AC when they finally implement a real online world.

BurntPork

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
No, it's not my fault at all. In fact if anything I contributed more to the platform than the millions of people who didn't buy one and are actively killing it. I bought it on the potential that it was going to be good. It was Nintendo as well as third parties which failed to live up to that.
After four months. It sounds more like you're just impatient and an impulse buyer. Again, your fault. You choose what you you buy and when you buy it. If you need a constant stream of games to consider a system worth owning, then you shouldn't be buying systems at launch.

theBishop

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Worth noting that considering the two screens put together rather than solely looking at the top, 3DS's screen area is closer to Vita than it is to PSP. DSiXL is still waaaay above any of them, though.

Yep. I duct-taped my two CRT TV's together and got one awesome widescreen HDTV!

I definitely made the right choice to wait it out and not be an early adapter. It should have a better price and a much better library in about a year though.

Shiggy

BurntPork said:
After four months. It sounds more like you're just impatient and an impulse buyer.

Or he hoped for some new software announcements at E3 and didn't expect several promising titles to be cancelled or downgraded (MGS3).

It's no surprise that the price already went down from 249 € to 179 €...

upJTboogie said:
I definitely made the right choice to wait it out and not be an early adapter. It should have a better price and a much better library in about a year though.

Waiting 3 years paid off for the PS3 as well. Reasonable price, decent library etc etc. Some consoles simply need some time to get going and the 3DS certainly has the post release blues right now for many owners.
Shiggy said:
Or he hoped for some new software announcements at E3 and didn't expect several promising titles to be cancelled or downgraded (MGS3).

It's no surprise that the price already went down from 249 € to 179 €...

You sure that's 179 Euros and not 179 Pound?

BurntPork said:
After four months. It sounds more like you're just impatient and an impulse buyer.

You under-estimate what four months can do to a system. E3 fell within these four months and failed to spark more interest - something is wrong if there is barely even any potential for a 2012 turnaround. Hardware sales have been abysmal within these four months and have started to scare off third parties like SEGA and Capcom. It sounds more like the system is bombing to me.

hamchan

I own 4 games for the thing but I'm not too happy with the level of support Nintendo or third parties are giving it. The region locking and high price of the console are a slap in the face from Nintendo too. So yeah, confidence levels are low. To all those that say we'll all be eating crow and will be drowning in software soon enough: I hope you're right.

Jokeropia

Mr. B Natural said:
Other new system's biggest game is a remake over a ten+ year old title?
No.
Actually, DS' biggest game was Mario 64 DS for a long time, but I guess it doesn't count since it was only 8+ years at that point.
eyes.gif

SmokyDave said:
I don't understand why those titles are enough to sustain people. They're all very polished, very competent franchises but there's just nothing new to see there. I'd expect people to be salivating over new and exciting third party IP's, not marginal iterations on existing franchises.
The reason you do not understand is that you're projecting your own personal opinion on other people.
I NEED SCISSORS said:
something is wrong if there is barely even any potential for a 2012 turnaround.
But that's not the case.

BuzzJive

[Nintex] said:
Shiggy you know about this more than I do, but from what I gather a whole bunch of 3DS projects have been cut behind the scenes. Take N-Space they said to be working on 3 3DS projects, but only one was announced.

Heroes of Ruin and Jaws were both announced. Third isn't due til 2012.

gunstarhero

Busaiku said:
Besides the price, it's nowhere near as bad as the DS was in its first year.

The DS game line up was HORRIBLE it's first year. That said, it doesn't make it right :)

I go back and forth with Steel Diver occasionally - but lately been playing Cave Story and Shantae.

As long as the online store is regularly updated with games, I'm content with waiting for the bigger releases.

Now not being able to get online with my WEP network is another story...

Reuenthal

Banned
The 3DS is not bombing, not at all. You can try to bring up comparisons with other recent system launches and their sales if you wish however. Note that I don't see it selling as well as the DS.

It's actual problems seem to be more hardware related and price and added competition than in game library. Either way it is well on its way to be a big success. Waiting for a revision version might be the best value for money decision though. And early adoption of systems is not often wise whatever the system might be.

Shiggy

boris feinbrand said:
You sure that's 179 Euros and not 179 Pound?

That was a deal yesterday. Still, 189.99 € is also a huge drop.

Rather early adopter risks. If you jump in during the launch window/first year you know about the risks.

I know I do.

True. I'm happy that I waited. And I'm currently rather thinking about buying the DSi XL than the 3DS if it finally dropped in price...it's only 10 € less than the 3DS...

The DS game line up was HORRIBLE it's first year.

Ouendan, Jam with the Band, Kirby Power Paintbrush, Another Code ... no, it was quite good. (I won't count ports from other consoles as those are cheap cash-ins...Super Mario 64)

popeutlal

When it was originally announced I was excited, then as more info started to release it became not worth buying.

First its an ugly ugly looking machine, they didn't even try to make it look slick...its a direct copy of their previous system with ugliness slapped on.

Then the battery life, price, lack of software, releasing N64 games at full price, still having friend codes makes the whole package very unattractive.

And then there's Android/iOS, the competition...which looks to be getting stronger and stronger.

Lazy effort at premium price cannot survive anymore.

I think in a couple months when some of the bigger games come out (Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, and even Starfox) 3rd party developers will step up. Games like those will obviously make the system sell and developers will see that.

Mikey Jr.

MLH said:
( I understand you are upset about Megaman legends but it was never greenlit in the first place)

MegaMan Legends was CANCELLED!?!?

WHAT THE FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

When did this happen!?!?

Shiggy

Magic Ovaries said:
When it was originally announced I was excited, then as more info started to release it became not worth buying.

First its an ugly ugly looking machine, they didn't even try to make it look slick...its a direct copy of their previous system with ugliness slapped on.

Then the battery life, price, lack of software, releasing N64 games at full price, still having friend codes makes the whole package very unattractive.

And then there's Android/iOS, the competition...which looks to be getting stronger and stronger.

Those services are even developer-friendly, thus we see releases of Broken Sword and other high-profile titles there.

Shiggy said:
That was a deal yesterday. Still, 189.99 € is also a huge drop.

True. I'm happy that I waited. And I'm currently rather thinking about buying the DSi XL than the 3DS if it finally dropped in price...it's only 10 € less than the 3DS...

Ouendan, Jam with the Band, Kirby Power Paintbrush, Another Code ... no, it was quite good. (I won't count ports from other consoles as those are cheap cash-ins...Super Mario 64)

You are kinda cheating there by listing imports, in which case, you should include Layton 5 and Fantasy Life (assuming that doesn't get delayed)

Shiggy

Nuclear Muffin said:
You are kinda cheating there by listing imports, in which case, you should include Layton 5 and Fantasy Life (assuming that doesn't get delayed)

That's a whole new issue...region-locking. On DS you could play and buy them at a normal price (40 EUR) - on 3DS you need a whole new unit.

Shiggy said:
That's a whole new issue...region-locking. On DS you could play and buy them at a normal price (40 EUR) - on 3DS you need a whole new unit.

Fair enough. Even so, I think it's safe to say that the 3DS' 1st year lineup is much better than the original DS.

Shiggy

Nuclear Muffin said:
Fair enough. Even so, I think it's safe to say that the 3DS' 1st year lineup is much better than the original DS.

I'm not a huge fan of ports of games I already own, which is a specialty of the 3DS. The only games I'm currently interested are Super Mario and Mario Kart 3DS, both will be great but don't bring anything new. Therefore I won't buy a 3DS this year and probably not before next E3, where they hopefully announce some new games.

Proc

Magic Ovaries said:

Ugly machine: I disagree. It could be slimmer but it looks pretty nice in my hand and in its dock on my desk.

Price: Its going on sale lately for $199 here in Canada. I got mine at Zelda launch for $179 during a Shoppers special. I didn't want to spend $250 at launch but sub $200 it was impossible to resist. Especially with Zelda.

Battery Life: I guess I'm just not handheld obsessive. I usually just play a bit before bed and throw it back on the dock in the morning. I've never been out of juice. Granted, I play consoles, pc, and tabletop more than handhelds.

Lack of software / Full price N64 games: I bought it with Zelda. I still haven't completed it. It is more than just an emulation. They've cleaned up the interface and graphics considerably. It's a joy to play that game again in a remastered form. Starfox is adding multiplayer with neat camera support functionality. Resident Evil is a nice diversion but I'll probably give it to a friend when I'm done. More Nintendo titles are coming. Not to mention the DS backlog I have (DQ9, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, etc.) and 3D NES emulation (not full price).

Friend Codes: Yeah the friend code system sucks but I typically play with my friends, who I see on a regular basis. Its easy to be-friend and share Miis in person.

This gadget isn't for someone on a budget, but what gadget is during launch window? Its a neat device that plays Nintendo games. I own an iPhone and I don't like playing many games on it. The 3DS is fun and I'm glad I have it.

BurntPork said:
After four months. It sounds more like you're just impatient and an impulse buyer. Again, your fault.

Yup.

4 months and people are calling it a failure. 100% verifiable knee-jerk doom and gloom.

For my part, there are already some nice 3rd party fighters and other titles on the system that never would have seen the light of day on DS. The internet functionality - browser and netflix - is also keeping me addicted to the thing on a daily basis. And I've already bought some eshop stuff I never would have considered otherwise.

I bought into the "OMG ITS DOOMED" hype and thought about selling mine for a few weeks, but during those weeks I was still playing Ghost Recon. And I still am. By the end of the year there are about 6 games Im genuinely interested in, more than enough to have me hold on to it.

There are things that Nintendo needs to figure out though and almost all of them are related to price. In a world of iOS games that have games that are better, more fun and have more content at 99 cents than Pilotwings does at $40 --something has to give. I don't think the 3DS will fail, per se, if Nintendo doesn't adapt... but I do think they are on the start of a slippery slope where the DS brand loses its dominance.

Also, $250 when an ipod touch is cheaper and vita is the same price is kinda weird. I know I feel like i overpaid. A price drop soon would help.

olimpia84

I bought a 3DS not long ago because of Zelda OOT and so far I love it. The only two 3DS games I have are Zelda and Pilotwings and to me that's enough to hold me until the next interesting title comes along (plus I get to enjoy the full library of DS games).

The two main things that the 3DS has against it are the price and the fact that people don't seem to differentiate it from the DS.

Top Bottom