• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which member had the best exit on GAF Or: A Very Happy GAF History Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there really an elephant in the room if nobody knows what is? an elephant in the room means there is something quite noticeable but nobody is comfortable enough to acknowledge it is there.

I despised Dragona and am glad she is gone (despite never having any direct interaction with her). I'm a little disappointed that it was over some behind-the-scenes misconduct, since I think her vain, heavy-handed, personal crusade bullshit shouldn't have been allowed to go on for any length of time. How someone moderates is all that matters when judging if they should be/remain a mod, so seniority or history shouldn't be a factor.

Now while I wouldn't consider any of the current mods assholes, there does seem to a be trend where mods are most concerned with banning people instead of proactively guiding discussion and actually improving things. They can be too reactionary and to some degree, however small, I'm sure it's due to bannings being guilty pleasures, apart from whether the ban is justified or not. The chilling effect of the broad "no backseat modding/public criticism" rule kind of keeps an understanding from being reached on this.

A couple of months ago I saw Stumpokapow display proactive/positive influence, instead of the typical reactionary, silent assassin stuff, and made a point to PM him/her to thank him/her for it.

daffy

Banned
BravesCountry said:
is there really an elephant in the room if nobody knows what is? an elephant in the room means there is something quite noticeable but nobody is comfortable enough to acknowledge it is there.
Koshiba's tits?

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Steve Youngblood said:
Account Approvals? Accounts Approvals 2? I'm betting my money on one of those two. They're awful.
They're the worst.

I mean, look at all the idiots they let in this place.

They let me in though, so they have been indirectly redeemed through my paradigm-shifting posts.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
KaotikMind said:
Thanks for the insight EviLore, if there's a possibility you can shed some light on other members who were mentioned like Mr. AngryFace, Himuro, Wrath, etc. much would be appreciated.
Himuro was a clear account suicide. He was posting much less than before and didn't like the direction the forum was going in. Kob was more just who he decided to do it on.

TheExodu5

Banned
LaserBuddha said:
Now while I wouldn't consider any of the current mods assholes, there does seem to a be trend where mods are most concerned with banning people instead of proactively guiding discussion and actually improving things. They can be too reactionary and to some degree, however small, I'm sure it's due to bannings being guilty pleasures, apart from whether the ban is justified or not. The chilling effect of the broad "no backseat modding/public criticism" rule kind of keeps an understanding from being reached on this.

Stumpokapow has been awesome for this, at least on the gaming side. He's been a very positive mod influence on the board.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Zane said:
What was bad about Lyre, if you don't mind my asking? I only vaguely remember him.
in those lotsa words, he says he and dragona were account sharing alot and banning/admining on each others accounts, so both had to go to get rid of one entirely.

There was another mod I remember vaguely.

Vennt? I think I saw him go on a banning spree in this one thread and he disappeared shortly after that.

Zeliard

TheExodu5 said:
Sumpokapow has been awesome for this, at least on the gaming side. He's been a very positive mod influence on the board.

Stump, Opiate, charlequin and Nirolak were all very strong additions (I like the other peeps too :D)

Zane

Pandaman said:
in those lotsa words, he says he and dragona were account sharing alot and banning/admining on each others accounts, so both had to go to get rid of one entirely.

He said Lyre was "one of the worst mods we ever had." Is that the only reason or was he a poor mod in general? If the latter, I would like some examples. because I'm curious.

xbhaskarx

Jinfash said:
This is amazing. Thanks for sharing EL. So can we discuss with you the other elephant in room?
?

search?
:lol?

Leunam said:
Yeah and that's also really fucking scummy of Costanza. What a prick.

Why would anyone give private information to Costanza of all people?
One of my least missed banned members.

Garjon

Atramental said:

Vennt? I think I saw him go on a banning spree in this one thread and he disappeared shortly after that.
I don't know what happened in the build-up, but he did something to the server that made his posts impossible to delete and other things.

Speaking of which, was this what made you restructure the mod/admin tiers EviLore?

TheExodu5

Banned
Zeliard said:
Stump, Opiate, charlequin and Nirolak were all very strong additions (I like the other peeps too :D)

For sure.

I just wanted to congratulate Stum because of his proactive approach to moderation. Discussion has certainly benefitted in the last little while on the gaming side...I think there have been some major improvements over the last year.

edit: Stumpokapow is also Canadian. Bro-fist.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Amir0x said:
here comes the tears and hand-wringing about imagined wrongs *sits by the fireplace*
yea that hitokage is a jerk.

most offensive and vulgar person I've ever met.

and his t hawk sucks

Leunam

Atramental said:

I don't remember who said it, but someone was talking about one mod who was banning people constantly. Some other mod caught up to him in one thread, said something like "mod forum, now!" and that was seemingly the end of that. The subject of the story was about a secret mod forum and that's where the bit about the mod came from.

I feel kind of silly about it now.

Jinfash said:
I was referring to a certain mod lol.

Heh, I'm gonna guess Amirox rubs him the wrong way. I'm only saying this because the board is littered with the smoking ruins of member/Amirox arguments; I just think he's acceptably opinionated. He doesn't seem particularly ban-crazy from what I can tell, so whatever.

Dennis

Banned
Amir0x said:
here comes the tears and hand-wringing about imagined wrongs *sits by the fireplace*
You unfairly banned me a couple of times and I am sure you are still haunted by those miscarriages of justice.

Zeliard

I remember Vennt at one point threatened to start banning people for making puns in threads. Dunno if he ever followed through with it.

snesfreak

Banned
Jinfash said:
I was referring to a certain mod lol.
GetYoPopcornReady.gif

Amir0x

Banned
DennisK4 said:
You unfairly banned me a couple of times and I am sure you are still haunted by those miscarriages of justice.

Unfairly, hm?

*ban log*

I banned you once for this post: click. Fairly obvious. Insults and lowering discourse.
And once for another post that I don't have the link for in the Alan Wake thread when you went around telling everyone to shut the fuck up about some issue.

Seems fair to me. If you thought they were unfair, though, you could always shoot me a PM. Unlike some from the past I don't abuse my moderation, which is why I think despite my outspoken nature I've stuck around so long. I am actually in my estimation a damn good mod in actual function, if I may say so myself.

I put on 50lb after Amir0x banned me

sometimes I wake up at 3am and have to eat a whole block of Dairy Milk, just to stop my mind turning to sorrow and tears

you owe me £100 in ruined pillows amir0x, ruined by the TEARS :(

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Why are so many of the mods predominantly active in Gaming? I look at the Mod/Admin list and half the names I dont recognise. Take a trip over to Gaming and there's mods all over that bitch.

OT needs more mods, in my opinion...

*waits patiently*

Esch

Banned
DennisK4 said:
AndHereWeGo.gif

CHEEZMO™ said:
Why are so many of the mods predominantly active in Gaming? I look at the Mod/Admin list and half the names I dont recognise. Take a trip over to Gaming and there's mods all over that bitch.

OT needs more mods, in my opinion...

*waits patiently*

OT consists of mostly self regulating communities, which usually coexist very well together without external moderation for the most part barring a few incidents.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Atramental said:

I don't even know what happened to Vennt exactly. He was only around for short periods each year in the modern GAF era, and would come back here and there and be very active and then leave again (because of his work, presumably). That was fine, until he came back one time a while back and started banning anyone who said anything negative about Apple in Apple-related threads. I talked with him about it, he insisted that he was in the right, but I undid the bans. Same thing happened again shortly after. Then, not sure how long after that since no one noticed (we were used to him being away most of the time), he deleted his own account. Don't know if the two things were related or not; they may not have been, but those were my last interactions with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom