• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House requests Congress investigate whether Obama administration abused power

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Full article at the link.

President Donald Trump is asking Congress to look into whether the Obama administration abused its investigative powers during the 2016 election, White House press secretary Sean Spicer said in a statement Sunday.

The request came a day after Trump took to Twitter to accuse former President Barack Obama, without providing any evidence, of wiretapping his phones in Trump Tower in the weeks before the November election.

"Reports concerning potentially politically motivated investigations immediately ahead of the 2016 election are very troubling," Spicer said in the statement, which he also posted on Twitter. "President Donald J. Trump is requesting that as part of their investigation into Russian activity, the congressional intelligence committees exercise their oversight authority to determine whether executive branch investigative powers were abused in 2016."

"Neither the White House nor the President will comment further until such oversight is conducted," Spicer added. He did not provide any further details on the President's request to Congress.

While Spicer said "reports" to that effect prompted the call for a congressional investigation, the White House still has not provided any evidence to back up the President's accusations. There are no publicly known credible reports to back up Trump's claim that Obama ordered Trump's phones be monitored.

Instead, multiple former senior US officials have dismissed Trump's allegations, calling them "nonsense" and "false." Obama, through a spokesman, also rejected the claim that he ordered Trump's phones tapped.

Edit -

2921727-1779467907-Mitsu.jpg

Dynomutt

Changing the goalposts. They're trying to get ahead of it. This is a shame. So many issues and this is what they choose. Hey they better live and die by that sword.

An investigation they might as well call him guilty especially in this political climate. Trump is a magician distract them with nonsense to move away from the serious issues.

If nothing comes of this the fallout may be even worse for the Trump administration.

liquidtmd

Banned
"Neither the White House nor the President will comment further until such oversight is conducted," Spicer added.

Lol, I give Trump another 24 hours before commenting again on Twitter with no evidence and more quotation marks.

He physically just can't help himself.

If education still exists post Trump, there's gonna be case studies on his use of social media.

CHC

Investigate away.

Even if the previous administration did order Trump to be wiretapped, and they found dirt, Trump's team actually uncovering any wrongdoing would just force them into releasing it earlier... At which point no one would care about how it was obtained. Not that I think he actually was wiretapped, I'm just trying to illustrate that this is a no-win.

The only, only, only way this could not backfire on him horribly is if he is (a) able to find conclusive proof that an illegal wiretap was run and (b) he didn't actually say or do anything dirty while it was up. Both (a) and (b) seem incredibly unlikely on their own, let alone in the same reality.

You'll notice they want it added to the ongoing Russian interference investigation, meaning they want it to quietly go away. This is like the minimum they could do to have the story fade off without just coming right out and saying the President was talking out his ass.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
God he is so unprepared for this job. He really has no clue what he's doing with this.

I mean suppose they do find something. Isn't the next step to find out why the FBI was able to get the warrants to begin with? So stupid.

Zophar

Wouldn't it be something if this inadvertently goaded the Republicans into actually taking Russia and Trump investigations seriously. This dude can't help but play himself.

digdug2k

And it will go nowhere. Its so easy to pass the blame because things just won't easily go your way.
Lol. We're still not sure who Benjamin Ghazi really was or why he forced us all to use private email servers wiped with the queens own toothbrush! This will go everywhere for the next decade. Congress will have a thousand hearings on it, and none investigating whether our president actually IS being bought by our enemies. People will lap it up. "It certainly looks suspicious to me!" They'll rush out their doors to vote for whoever has an R next to their name just to stick it to 'em (but don't think they're racist, sexist, assholes. We just don't really understand these people well enough yet).

Culex

Banned
Lol. Just like the 5 million vote investigation. How's that one going? This is an excuse to never talk about it again.

This is gonna backfire on him real bad

The only two logical conclusions are:

1) There was no tap, blatant lying

2) There was an action taken due to IC having probable cause to believe there was foreign collusion within the Trump campaign

It's like this administration is tripping on traps they set themselves.

zashga

So this is definitely just bullshit, then.

"Obama spied on me!"
"Based on what?"
"I dunno, someone should do an investigation."

It's so transparent (and pathetic) that my brain hurts. Hard to believe so many people fall for this idiot's schtick.

The only reason there'd be a tap would be if the FBI were investigating Trump right?

I half want there to have been a tap so that Trump faces questions about why he was being investigated.

SaviourMK2

Well. They investigated falsified evidence, I can't imagine the government of turncoats passing up a chance to investigate Obama on zero evidence.

Burt

The real funny thing is that Obama getting investigated and Trump getting investigated are even money.

By funny, of course, I mean legitimately upsetting.

Xe4

Banned
I wonder what the chances are of them investigating this shit is...

In a half sane world I'd say slim to none, but knowing this congress I'd say it's at least moderately hiigh.

theWB27

So that means congress really isn't getting any information and this way congress can request info to aid in their oh so important claims.

Condom

Pretty much. Even the idiots on trump's subreddit were wondering why nothing is happening if what Trump claims is true.
Check again because the consensus there now is that Obama is a third world dictator and that he has wiretapped even more Trump people.

Pardon my ignorance, but couldn't Obama legally do that anyways? Weren't we wiretapping Merkel back when Snowden whistleblowed the whole thing? I'm not sure what's illegal about it, but I'm pretty ignorant. Is it just unethical?

Ithil

This is PR damage control nonsense, just like their claims that they will totally investigate those "3 million illegal votes" because their manbaby of a president regurgitates dumb half-formed conspiracy theories on twitter and they have to act like they're doing something about the gigantic accusations he's throwing around.

They have to pretend he's taken seriously and viewed as credible, basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom