• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House requests Congress investigate whether Obama administration abused power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I wish Obama would say something :/

These types of baseless accusations from the POTUS are completely unacceptable.

Jackpot

Banned
So the Trump admin is abusing power to waste resources on a witch hunt investigation into Obama abusing power.

This isn't funny or a last desperate act. This'll have legs. Plenty of people will eat up the premise verbatim and yet another support is removed from the rickety jenga tower of institutions that enable you to live the life you do.

C6K-o6tWcAMQyWo.jpg

From what, though? Because right now, all eyes are on the Russia stuff.

Right, but the focus is now on Obama and his administration trying to prevent Trump getting into the White House.

I'm not at all saying Trump has a case here. Just that he's added a distracting murmur to the national dialog.

RinsFury

Obama needs to come out and destroy this orange trash. Enough with the kid gloves, time to go for the jugular. No mercy for any of these worthless fascist fucks.

DarkKyo

So the Trump admin is abusing power to waste resources on a witch hunt investigation into Obama abusing power.

This isn't funny or a last desperate act. This'll have legs. Plenty of people will eat up the premise verbatim and yet another support is removed from the rickety jenga tower of institutions that enable you to live the life you do.

Incoming is another two-year investigation that goes no where and uncovers nothing.

Roger Stone kind of already did last night in a deleted tweet. Why media hasn't jumped on it yet is beyond me.
Its because Stone has no official link with Trump administration/2016 campaign. But we all know that its not really true. For them, he's hard to nail because technically he's just a guy who's friends with Assange. I remember reading in past that he also admitted comm with Assange. Here's one
QUESTIONER: With regard to the October surprise, what would be your forecast on that given what Julian Assange has intimated he’s going to do?

ROGER STONE: Well, it could be any number of things. I actually have communicated with Assange. I believe the next tranche of his documents pertain to the Clinton Foundation but there’s no telling what the October surprise may be.
https://newrepublic.com/minutes/135...oots-hillary-clinton-prepare-october-surprise

Obama needs to stay where he is right now and just let this play out. There's a plan in place and Trump is desperately trying to change the attention to something else.

The last thing we want is Trump vs Obama and for Trump to look like he's defending himself from political moves instead of committing real treason

akira28

Trump could investigate it himself. But..that would be a blatant abuse of power that would sink him if he ever did go down.

So smokescreen and ask some allies in Congress to run interference by playing this straight, even though he's done exactly #0 things to instill that kind of confidence.

Oersted

The speech he read that didn't line up whatsoever with his policies or actions.

People are fucking stupid.

It did, actually. The speech was chokeful of racist lies to "justify" racist policies like VOICE.

But everyone was just paying to his calm demeanor, which he always displays when reading of a teleprompter.

Obama needs to stay where he is right now and just let this play out. There's a plan in place and Trump is desperately trying to change the attention to something else.

The last thing we want is Trump vs Obama and for Trump to look like he's defending himself from political moves instead of committing real treason

I agree with this sentiment. No need for him to get involved with this. It will just give right wing news a way to change the subject and obfuscate the real issue.

RinsFury

That was Obama's official and typically diplomatic response. Really, though...

Originally Posted by The New Yorker

The official line at the White House was that the hour-and-a-half meeting with Trump went well and that Trump was solicitous. Later, when I asked Obama how things had really gone, he smiled thinly and said, “I think I can’t characterize it without . . . ” Then he stopped himself and said that he would tell me, “at some point over a beer—off the record.”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/11/28/obama-reckons-with-a-trump-presidency

Obama tried to give him a chance, he really did. There is no doubt that he immediately recognized orange fuckface for the racist imbecile that he is, but tried to play nice for the good of the country. Now all that goodwill has gone out the window. Good. No more fun and games, it's time to stop this piece of shit once and for all.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
"Neither the White House nor the President will comment further until such oversight is conducted,"

lol, you can practically hear WH staff pleading with Trump to stop posting unubstantiated accusations on twitter.

WH Staff: "If we ask Congress to investigate Obama, will you stop posting about it on Twitter?
Trump: *pouts* "But I didn't do ANYthing. HE started it."

Trump's twitter account has the kind of diplomatic immunity even Riggs and Murtaugh can't revoke.

Our current sitting president is a conspiracy theorist.

Let hat sink in, a CONSPIRACY THEORIST

That's so fucking embarrassing. I can see the shit heel hosting dinner at the White House for foreign states of power, and discussing stuff when suddenly the baby in chief turns to a world leader and says, "did you know the moon landing was faked?? Obama tried covering it up!!"

Lmao

KoopaTheCasual

THANK YOU!

Was about to make almost the same post, word for word. The media would pounce on a Trump vs Obama narrative, and it would distract from the very serious matters at hand. All these people hoping for Obama to "step in" don't realize how damaging that would be to the current national discussion.
He's trying to change the national discussion. And it's working.
Not if Obama is smart and stays out of the picture, it won't.

Wait, is the argument that wiretapping like this doesn't happen, or that it's hypocritical to only come out against it when it personally impacts you?

Because it would be about 0% shocking if the Obama admin pulled this -- undetectable power is pretty easy to abuse.

Obama just needs to be there to point and laugh with the rest of us when the cuffs are being slapped on Trump and company.

Trump already can't go five minutes without talking about Obama or Clinton. It's about the only thing he can say really, since it always manages a cheer from his supporters.

Let the bitchass ratfuck paint himself into a corner.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Agreed, there is nothing to be gained from responding to the raving lunacy of an unhinged man. If anything Trump is desperately goading Obama to say anything at all which would inherently legitimize the argument regardless of what was said, not to mention act as a smokescreen.

Mahonay

Banned
It did, actually. The speech was chokeful of racist lies to "justify" racist policies like VOICE.

But everyone was just paying to his calm demeanor, which he always displays when reading of a teleprompter.
Yeah no the VOICE stuff was heinous and people just ignored it, which is scary.

But his stuff about black history month and saving the environment were 100 percent bullshit that don't match his actions. Also his thing with the Navy Seal that died in the Yemen raid, very specifically placed to make people forget about him spitting in the face of those other Purple Heart families, and to redirect attention from the fact it was a wreckless raid.

Agreed, there is nothing to be gained from responding to the raving lunacy of an unhinged man. If anything Trump is desperately goading Obama to say anything at all which would inherently legitimize the argument regardless of what was said, not to mention act as a smokescreen.

Exactly right. He pulled this a bunch of times during the campaign against Hillary and even with Hillary telling people he was lying and showing fact checks he still got away with it and people took sides.

The best move is just to let him keep jumping at his shadows.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Jake Tapper @jaketapper

1/WH officials with whom I spoke said POTUS got the info about wiretap from media - Breitbart, Levin - not from govt sources.

2/Obviously FBI/DOJ wiretap of POTUS would be HUGE story. One illegally ordered by previous POTUS even bigger. BUT WH officials have no proof

3/Most reporters I know are digging on this. But every current Intel voice is saying they know of nothing to back up this claim.

4/Moreover we cannot pretend we haven't been here before, w/POTUS putting out wild accusations that are untethered to reality.

5/Obama's birth certificate/ Vaccines/ Ted Cruz's father & Lee Harvey Oswald / crowd sizes/ Vince Foster / Murder rate / 3-5 illegal votes

6/ In any case, will continue to report. WH call for Congress to find evidence of POTUS claim with "no further comment" is not proof.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
This is designed to create a false narrative that Obama created the Russia controversy in order to undermine the Trump campaign and administration.

It doesn't matter if it's real.. they will Benghazi this thing and make a bunch of dimwits think that Russia was totally made up by Obama.

It's about giving a second narrative to his base that they can choose to believe, and it will work.

Still fuming that Levin has that kind of pull now. My disdain for the guy is astronomical after hearing my dad listen to him for the last 6-7 years; if it wasn't GAF and college, I'd still be listening to him too.

That his words are influencing the president makes me sick

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is designed to create a false narrative that Obama created the Russia controversy in order to undermine the Trump campaign and administration.

It doesn't matter if it's real.. they will Benghazi this thing and make a bunch of dimwits think that Russia was totally made up by Obama.

It's about giving a second narrative to his base that they can choose to believe, and it will work.

Congress won't. They'll go through the motions but even they know this is a quagmire.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Congress won't. They'll go through the motions but even they know this is a quagmire.

Like Benghazi and emails? GOP circles the wagons. This is a ploy, and it may work.

Unless the media decides to not go 'DURR both sides'. Which I have no confidence in.

Especially if there was surveillance (legal) they will go nuts.

That base supports their fuhrer regardless of reality. It doesn't strengthen their support, it just gives them more insanity to spit. I consider this part of the nation lost. They're no longer citizens of the US, they're the dangerous followers of a death cult.

Jackpot

Banned

They got through 7 Benghazi investigations just for the bi-monthly reminder in the media of the allegations. Doesn't matter that nothing was found. Any event this complex will contain some negative comment or allegation they can latch onto and present as "the truth" for their base.

hEist

so let me guess: if his claims are false (and I'm sure they are, cause it's trump) he will again get away with it?

Wait, is the argument that wiretapping like this doesn't happen, or that it's hypocritical to only come out against it when it personally impacts you?

Because it would be about 0% shocking if the Obama admin pulled this -- undetectable power is pretty easy to abuse.

Obama would never be stupid enough to do it illegally. He is too cautious (in fact, it seems he is overly cautious) for that. We know from all the leaks and all the turmoil in his administration that there is a lot of credible, corroborated evidence linking the Trump campaign and Russian involvement in the election. The FBI has BEEN investigating him and likely requested a warrant to tap him on their own - assuming he was ever wiretapped in the first place, which hasn't even been established.

In addition, ask yourself what is more likely: Trump talking out of his ass, or Obama committing Watergate 2 Electric Boogaloo? Trump talks out of his ass all the fucking time.

Like Benghazi and emails? GOP circles the wagons. This is a ploy, and it may work.

Unless the media decides to not go 'DURR both sides'. Which I have no confidence in.

Especially if there was surveillance (legal) they will go nuts.

People died at benghazi. It was easy to turn it into a circus. This is literally the delusions of a paranoid person reading Breitbart

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
They got through 7 Benghazi investigations just for the bi-monthly reminder in the media of the allegations. Doesn't matter that nothing was found. Any event this complex will contain some negative comment or allegation they can latch onto and present as "the truth" for their base.

Yes but Benghazi was based on a confusing real life event and could be manipulated endlessly in a fugue state. This one has trap card written all over it. They don't want to be painted into an orange corner. Certainly a few will go with it but they need unity. They won't have it.

silvon

so let me guess: if his claims are false (and I'm sure they are, cause it's trump) he will again get away with it?

Yes. That's what's so infuriating about Trump and GOP, it's like they are holding the Democrats to an impossible standard, yet they themselves put party above country and nobody cares (or some do, but it never gets the same amount of attention as Benghazi or emails).

Zen Aku

It said something about going thru backchannels to Assange. + there were others, calling someone a fat bitch and other despicable things.

C6IYqtgU8AE5TI1.jpg

Jesus man, last night was the first time I've heard of this guy. Why does he sounds like he's 13 instead of 50.

SerTapTap

When did the republican party become so vulnerable to conspiracy theorists? Frankly back when Trutherism, Anti-vaxx etc were at their peak it seemed more like the left was doing a shit job at keeping out conspiracy wackos.

Granted, Fundies are basically conspiracy theorists of their own variety, we just don't like to call religious insanity "conspiracy theories".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom