• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House requests Congress investigate whether Obama administration abused power

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmood88

Is this paranoia? Or is this just tactics?

Isn't Obama coming back into the public eye soon? Correct me if I'm wrong but is he not simply trying to undermine Obama's credibility here? At least this casts a suspicious light on Obama when he's criticizing Trump

This also ties into Trump blaming Obama for the protesters at town halls.
This undermines Obama's credibility with people who already think that he's a secret radical atheist Muslim who's Kenyan, even though his real dad is some random black guy from the US.

It seems daily life in the White House is deflecting from real issues and battling the media which leaves the real question: when is any actual work getting done for our country? For crying out loud, they can't even stick to getting their own stuff done when they say they will. Updated travel regulations? New healthcare bill? Where is this stuff?

Mahonay

Banned
Yes but Trump is insane and is the president. So we are here now. They can spin anything into what they decide is correct, and Republican lapdog politicians will stay silent.

Outside of that. If that's not what is going on. Then once again hes just a moron. If there's no evidence besides breitbart.
The Republicans will keep digging their heels in no matter what since they have all but thrown away any shred of morality and decency, but the IC is just going to keep ramping up their efforts every time Trump takes a bold move like this. There will be blow back in some form. I'm just not knowledgeable enough to know what kind of actions could be taken before a change in House leadership in 2018.

EDIT: 2018, not 2020.

Is this paranoia? Or is this just tactics?

Isn't Obama coming back into the public eye soon? Correct me if I'm wrong but is he not simply trying to undermine Obama's credibility here? At least this casts a suspicious light on Obama when he's criticizing Trump

This also ties into Trump blaming Obama for the protesters at town halls.
My guess?

It's paranoia but Trump's team is trying to turn it into something because fuck it, it's already a clusterfucked situation.

Is the Potus on a holiday again at the moment?

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
So Trump told congress that there is a monster in his closet and now they have to grab a flashlight and pretend to look for it to make him feel better.

cool cool cool

commedieu

Banned
The Republicans will keep digging their heels in no matter what since they have all but thrown away any shred of morality and decency, but the IC is just going to keep ramping up their efforts every time Trump takes a bold move like this. There will be blow back in some form. I'm just not knowledgeable enough to know what kind of actions could be taken before a change in House leadership in 2018.

EDIT: 2018, not 2020.

Yeah I just am finding substantial blowback hard to conceive.

MAHHHOOONNNEEEEYYYYYYYYY!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well on the bright side Trump is getting unhinged again. More chances he and his team to make mistake and give something away.

Roger Stone kind of already did last night in a deleted tweet. Why media hasn't jumped on it yet is beyond me.

This undermines Obama's credibility with people who already think that he's a secret radical atheist Muslim who's Kenyan, even though his real dad is some random black guy from the US.

Uh those people were never on Obamas side anyway this doesn't do much to their view of him they didn't already have.

jiiikoo

Banned
What did it say?

It said something about going thru backchannels to Assange. + there were others, calling someone a fat bitch and other despicable things.

C6IYqtgU8AE5TI1.jpg

Mahonay

Banned
Investigating a previous administration is a dangerous fucking precedent to set.
This has been the story ever since Trump became the Republican front runner, and now with everything he's been doing in office. It's terrifying. Every week is a new horror show and a new set back for the country.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
He's trying to change the national discussion. And it's working.

From what, though? Because right now, all eyes are on the Russia stuff.

RPGCrazied

Watch Republicans actually give this a hearing, whereas they won't really look into Trump/Russia. That is alarming.

This is worst than I lost the popular vote because of these 3 Million fake votes

Obama just wants to go on a long vacation and write a book, now he has to write a whole chapter about Trump

Watch Republicans actually give this a hearing, whereas they won't really look into Trump/Russia. That is alarming.

They dont want to look into this because chances are either Trump is lying (which would make republicans look bad) or there was sufficient evidence to grant a warrant (which would be devastating to Trump/republicans). The chances of Obama going rogue and illegally tapping a political rival.....not likely.

Ponn

Banned
This is what an egomaniac with no ability to apologize or admit they are wrong looks like. They dig themselves deeper or try to offload their mistakes.

Tristam

Remember when Obama had a good feeling about him?

Remember when Donald sounded presidential?

That was Obama's official and typically diplomatic response. Really, though...

The New Yorker said:
The official line at the White House was that the hour-and-a-half meeting with Trump went well and that Trump was solicitous. Later, when I asked Obama how things had really gone, he smiled thinly and said, “I think I can’t characterize it without . . . ” Then he stopped himself and said that he would tell me, “at some point over a beer—off the record.”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/11/28/obama-reckons-with-a-trump-presidency

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Why? Just curious?

In Roman Republican times, there were many public offices of great import. Of those, the greatest was that of the Consul. Two consuls (essentially executive leaders in charge of the military) would be elected annually. These two men enjoyed vast powers and influence, and getting to the rank of consul meant you probably made some enemies along the way. Lawsuits were common among the Senatorial class, for both real and perceived slights, some of which resulted in jail time or possibly execution. As now, these lawsuits were often politically motivated and sometimes were just seen as a way to remove a political rival from the running for the higher offices.

In order to allow the consuls to operate autonomously without fear of getting bogged down by politics (especially in war time), they were granted immunity from lawsuits and general repercussions from individuals.

However, they could always be sued for something they did while consul after they left the office. Thus, consuls under threat of lawsuit by political rivals (most all) would need to find ways to stay in a high office for as long as possible to avoid the threat of lawsuit until they could pay off or eliminate threats to their freedom.

Thus, you had many situations where consuls would feel that, facing probable jail time or execution, they would be better off staying in power for as long as possible, resulting in many military dictatorships being declared over the years, resulting in waves of oppression and made up wars to justify the move rather than necessitate it.

It's possible that setting a precedent of "investigating" your predecessor will teach future presidents that this is a behavior to be expected and they should thus either do everything they can to cover up their misdeeds in office or try to hang on to power as long as possible. Obviously the latter is basically a dictatorship, and while the former might sound good, it might result in a lot of poor governance, especially in times of crucial military/foreign conflict (such as when Russia hacks and influences your elections or owns some of your prominent politicians).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom