• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White House requests Congress investigate whether Obama administration abused power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
"Oh what a tangled web we weave...."

Hoist by Breitbarts petard.

The amount of unseen facepalming going on in the WH and Washington right now must be immeasurable.

GeeTeeCee

At least wasting time and resources on a wild goose chase for fictional abuses of power will give Congress some practice towards investigating the litany of actual abuses of power to come in the next four years, I suppose...

JB1981

God he is so unprepared for this job. He really has no clue what he's doing with this.

I mean suppose they do find something. Isn't the next step to find out why the FBI was able to get the warrants to begin with? So stupid.

The new spin is that FISA warrants are handed out like candy so being granted the warrant is itself pretty meaningless

chadskin

C6K3kesU4AAcae1.jpg

Nipo

Can anything actually come out of this? or is it just a desperate move to show strength?

I think it is more a message to Obama that if he comes back to politics like he plans, Trump will attack him none stop.

To maintain public support Trump needs and adversary. The 'media' was his first choice but that is too amorphous and protected by the first amendment. An ex president his base already hates? That makes a much better foil to distract the public.

jmood88

Republicans are really just sitting back and letting a crazy old man use government resources to chase whatever conspiracy bullshit he sees.

Can anything actually come out of this? or is it just a desperate move to show strength?

to help trump? not really

most likely scenario: wasting peoples' time and diverting attention off the current republican administration's many fuckups.

possible scenario: a tap existed with a valid warrant based on some concrete evidence and bannon and friends' attempt to run interference pushes up the intelligence community's timeline for making use of whatever info they've got on the possible cases of treason at play.

Breads

Banned
What happened to the inner city war zones and coming in with the national guard?

What happened to Milo's/ hate speech being trampled on?

What happened to the millions of voter fraud?

What happened to the Muslim threat?

What happened to lock her up?

What about her emails?

How about you find out where you misplaced your new healthcare bill you stupid fucks.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
What happened to the Muslim threat?

What is funny is these clowns were going to introduce their new travel ban last Wednesday, but decided to delay it due to the "positive feedback" from his speech. They didn't want to kill the positive vibes. So the threat isn't as important as keeping the good times going.

Breads

Banned
But what about the 5 million illegal votes?

Gotta add more to the list of things they are super serious about until they forget about it.

Like Sweden.

I hope this Obama investigation sticks though. I want them to follow through on it. Please let this be the one thing. The results are going to be hilarious.

What is funny is these clowns were going to introduce their new travel ban last Wednesday, but decided to delay it due to the "positive feedback" from his speech. They didn't want to kill the positive vibes. So the threat isn't as important as keeping the good times going.

It's almost as if their primary motivation is keeping their base happy and distract everyone from things that benefit them personally at everyone else's expense.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
So we can legally wiretap non US citizens, but we can't legally wiretap legal US citizens?

This is a legit question, because that would make no sense.

I'll take "What is the Constitution?" for 5, Alex.

Merkel isn't a US citizen.

Not the right distinction to draw, although I can see why you'd make it.

Outside the U.S., Executive Order 12333 applies.

The issue with the Trump Tower wiretapping (that didn't happen) is that it allegedly involved communications of U.S. persons (not citizens: companies and LPRs count) and occurred domestically, meaning a court order from the FISC was necessary.

See: http://webpolicy.org/2014/12/03/eo-12333-on-american-soil/.

Dude Abides

Banned
Traditionally its bad form to remove a FBI director investigating you

Yes I know. But the point is that Trump could tell the FBI to investigate this if this were actually a real thing instead of bullshit to deflect from his administration's shenanigoats.

He doesn't want an actual investigation. He wants a Benghazi-esque partisan spectacle.

I think it is more a message to Obama that if he comes back to politics like he plans, Trump will attack him none stop.

To maintain public support Trump needs and adversary. The 'media' was his first choice but that is too amorphous and protected by the first amendment. An ex president his base already hates? That makes a much better foil to distract the public.

But will it distract the public at large? His approval rating with the general public is garbage, while his diehard suporters will stick with him no matter what he does or has done. And if Obama does come back on the scene in order to fight against Trump, he's not going to ignore all the shit that could potentially sink Trump. So that's going to be part of his narrative. I mean, Obama has him shook and he hasn't even said much of anything since the election. So how much is Trump going to freak out if he comes back and is as aggressive as many hope he will be?

At the end of the day, people like Obama and they don't like Trump. Having Obama back out there speaking publicly is going to make Trump and his ramblings look even worse.

Socreges

Banned
Is this paranoia? Or is this just tactics?

Isn't Obama coming back into the public eye soon? Correct me if I'm wrong but is he not simply trying to undermine Obama's credibility here? At least this casts a suspicious light on Obama when he's criticizing Trump

This also ties into Trump blaming Obama for the protesters at town halls.

commedieu

Banned
Crazier thing is if they did tap them for Russian ties. Which will be spun into "Obama is worse than Nixon and haxed me!!" Despite the truth.

Maybe it's a angle to stop the Russia investigation?

Let's say they were being tapped for Russian influence..how would this pan out for our country?

Mahonay

Banned
Crazier thing is if they did tap them for Russian ties. Which will be spun into "Obama is worse than Nixon and haxed me!!" Despite the truth.

Although it's an insane tactic since it only shines an even brighter light on the Russian situation.

tbm24

Let's say they were being tapped for Russian influence..how would this pan out for our country?
If he was legally wire tapped, that would pretty much mean he's guilty I'd imagine.

BenjiGAF

Lol, I give Trump another 24 hours before commenting again on Twitter with no evidence and more quotation marks.

He physically just can't help himself.

If education still exists post Trump, there's gonna be case studies on his use of social media.

"This Is How You Don't Use Twitter"

commedieu

Banned

Although it's an insane tactic since it only shines an even brighter light on the Russian situation.

Yes but Trump is insane and is the president. So we are here now. They can spin anything into what they decide is correct, and Republican lapdog politicians will stay silent.

Outside of that. If that's not what is going on. Then once again hes just a moron. If there's no evidence besides breitbart.

Edit @: "if he was legally wire tapped that means hrs guilty"

To whom? Not his base or the Republicans in office. If he was legall wiretappe, they'll claim it's just a conspiracy. Like the recount and voter fraud. Mccain will complain, but won't vote against him. Like all other Republicans.

This is a sticky situation if it turns out to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom