• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why DmC's Dante is a Bad Character (Video)

ezekial45

Banned
if you were practically immortal, would you be high strung or would you be pissed off and annoyed all the time.

personally if I couldnt get hurt (and I wasnt a power hungry asshole) life would be one big relaxing ride... nothing could hurt me so whats there to be stressed over. Especially if hunting demons is my profession. Bring em on and "Lets Dance!"

If I didn't have a proper outlet for to take advantage of these powers and coming from a rough past, I sure would be high strung.

Which is what this game is about. Seeing this incarnation of Dante come into his own and accepting his legacy.

Akainu

DMC4 is the best-selling game in the series, though I guess Capcom thought it could sell more. They tend to have impossible-to-reach sales goals for their titles which are clearly not as appealing globally as something that is realistically going to sell 10+ million copies.
By how much?

Dahbomb

DmC Dante was raised in the human world. Even though he's not a mortal, he's a child and product of the human world nonetheless. Sorta like Superman, in a way. He was raised as a normal person with these extraordinary powers that shaped his world view and dictated how he used his powers.
Nitpick but Dante is still mortal in that he can be killed.

I get what you are saying but I was making a contrast between the two. Dante's upbringing even in DmC is not normal so the comparison to Superman is not apt. Having being traumatized by demons even as a child would result him in going crazy, angry or just desensitized. Both the Dantes are mad and out for vengeance but the og Dante is just more comfortable with the situation because he realizes that his powers are superior.

I get what you are saying but I was making a contrast between the two. Dante's upbringing even in DmC is not normal so the comparison to Superman is not apt. Having being traumatized by demons even as a child would result him in going crazy, angry or just desensitized. Both the Dantes are mad and out for vengeance but the og Dante is just more comfortable with the situation because he realizes that his powers are superior.

And he identifies with and believes in the human world/human soul.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

TBF Considering this Dante is likely younger than Dante from 3, it's not really that illogical if you were hated for the most part by the world at large and had demons chasing you all the time. Really it would actually be more logical DMC Dante was more of cartoony caricature in that sense. Regardless if you were stronger than your enemy having people come out you to kill you all the time would leave anyone mentally unstable, you because not being unkillable there is a chance one of these days you will mess up and die... The majority of regualr people wouldn't act like he did and if they did it would be a defense mechanism for against the issue rather than a normal response.

If I didn't have a proper outlet for to take advantage of these powers and coming from a rough past, I sure would be high strung.

Which is what this game is about. Seeing this incarnation of Dante come into his own and accepting his legacy.

right... both versions of Dante's personality are both valid

I was kinda of using your post to point out that just because OG Dante is laid back doesnt mean his personality cant be considered natural to his circumstances or realistic in context

KTallguy

Banned
He met his nephew and he stopped another human from abusing Sparda's powers.

Did he change or grow as a character? Learn anything?
Character growth through conflict is the bread and butter of storytelling.

I was kinda of using your post to point out that just because OG Dante is laid back doesnt mean his personality cant be considered natural to his circumstances or realistic in context

I think in the context of a cheesy action game, old Dante fits fine. I just think that many people can't relate to him.

Mista Koo

I only played the first game but I like this Dante. Just like others said he's immature and trying too hard to be cool, which I find cute :p
It's like the original Dante is his cool older brother/dad that he wants to be like but fails miserably, even in his Devil Trigger you see him trying to copy him. For me it would be interesting if this reboot based Sparda on the original Dante.

The only thing your video showed me is how bad the writing is, well I don't remember any line from the first game aside from the one that became a meme so eh.

It's so weird because I don't remember anyone particularly loving the character in 2001. He was just a pseudo-badass avatar to deliver some crazy action. A decade later and he's the sacred cow we need to protect from a re-imagining? I'm honestly shocked.
You'd be surprised by how popular Dante is. I play SCV online and as a created character he's probably as popular as Cloud there.

sleepykyo

Hmm, then it doesn't make sense to me why they would reboot the character, unless they just didn't see anywhere else they could take him.

You're probably right. Capcom mentioned that 2.5 or so seems great for DMC but action games sell 5 mil or so. So DMC4 staff starts a fantasy open world game to get those AC/Skyrim sales while NT changes DMC into something that could get those God of War (doubled to reflect that DMC is on 2 platforms) or Batman like numbers.

A long term shift away from a couple of mil to getting more Resident Evil tier franchises. And old school school Dante was never going to break that ceiling.

Dahbomb

Hmm, then it doesn't make sense to me why they would reboot the character, unless they just didn't see anywhere else they could take him.
Don't worry the reboot still doesn't make sense for a lot of people.

But you are right in that Capcom sort of wrote themselves into a corner with Dante's character. He is the most powerful character in his universe and his original goal to kill the one responsible for his tragedy was completed in DMC1. They had no where to go forward with that, they tried with Dmc2 it was a disaster so they went back to making a prequel to Dmc1 which was really good. Then they tried to follow up after Dmc1 but this time with a new charterer.... story wise that didn't work out well either. They are also dead set on keeping Vergil dead despite his popularity. When you take these elements into account then it sort of makes sense why they went the reboot route.

ezekial45

Banned

He learned he had a nephew and that people still want Sparda's powers. That's pretty much it.

He seemed pretty indifferent about the whole thing.

I made the comparison in the sense that Dante and Superman are both 'foreigners' raised in a outside world.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If you really go back and look at the old games, the story and characters are impossible to relate to. They're just fantastical hero legends.

I guess the question I would pose to you is, why do we need to relate to these characters on a personal level?

Do I need to relate to Mario? Or Gordon Freeman? Do I need to relate to Cloud Strife? Does relating to them make you like them more?

I dunno, I can only speak from personal taste, but if I'm a dirtbag teenager, the last thing I want to play as in a video game is a dirtbag teenager.

We can only assume that DMC4 was meant as a sort of transition to Nero. Nero learned about his past and came to terms with his background. To Dante, DMC4 was just "tuesday." It reinforced the notion that Dante has become something of a legend.

DMC3 is where Dante really developed.

I think in the context of a cheesy action game, old Dante fits fine. I just think that many people can't relate to him.

They made OG Dante as relatable as Solid Snake

They gave the player an avatar to do some cool actions that said some dude-bro shit while you went thru levels to rake up a high score.

But by doing that they made a character that people were attracted to and drawn to who then became somewhat of an icon

He may not have connected with us on an emotional level but he sure did in a visceral one

Curufinwe

By how much?

By about 500,000 copies.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

You're probably right. Capcom mentioned that 2.5 or so seems great for DMC but action games sell 5 mil or so. So DMC4 staff starts a fantasy open world game to get those AC/Skyrim sales while NT changes DMC into something that could get those God of War (doubled to reflect that DMC is on 2 platforms) or Batman like numbers.

A long term shift away from a couple of mil to getting more Resident Evil tier franchises. And old school school Dante was never going to break that ceiling.

Well Dragon's Dogma got nowhere near Skyrim, and DmC is not going to get close to God of War or Batman.

DMC4 Dante mentored and protected Nero, and entrusting Vergil's powerful weapon (gateway to the demon world) to him. In a way the story was about the Sparda family's lineage. He looked over Nero the whole time.

Remember the first cutscenes with Nero being late and fighting his way to the church? At the end Dante was shown watching Nero the whole time

And you guys don't seem to remember in DMC3 he empathized with Lady about "dysfunctional family" and it tore him apart losing Vergil. And even as a young adult he has no patience for greedy humans. There's plenty of depth there

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I guess the question I would pose to you is, why do we need to relate to these characters on a personal level?

Do I need to relate to Mario? Or Gordon Freeman? Do I need to relate to Cloud Strife? Does relating to them make you like them more?

I dunno, I can only speak from personal taste, but if I'm a dirtbag teenager, the last thing I want to play as in a video game is a dirtbag teenager.

Depends if you want the game to have a good story or not. Regardless of whether you can relate to them or not the character has to actually have depth, logical character progression reasons for actions and reactions, and an actual purpose as to why that particular character is important or important in telling a story. Those characters don't really have that much depth they have some back story etc, but you aren't likely to come away with something from those characters life lesson's.

A character doesn't have to be relatable if the story is designed in such a around that purpose but in a way that's very real. Video games character haven't really reached that for the most and not all of them need to be, the same with all media. But if your going for a good story somethings gotta give.

KTallguy

Banned
Dude, I was obsessed with FF7 as a highschooler, because I was an emo-reject kid who felt alone in the world. Cloud was basically ME. Now I go back and play FF7 and I realize that it's mostly shlock, although there are some pretty good moments.

You don't need to relate to Mario because Mario doesn't have cutscenes and story elements. And when it does, people press the fucking skip button faster than lightning. See Mario Galaxy... did anyone really care about the story?

In Paper Mario and all those Mario RPGs, the Mario Brothers are mostly silent and the drama is more in the villains and side characters, and the little story vignettes that come out of those encounters. Mario is just a tool for the player to make things right.

Gordan Freeman is similar to Mario, he's the everyman that has no voice and is thrust into situations. He never talks. The story is in the characters that surround him, Alyx and the rest all have decent characters, and it's a typical man versus other style plot. So Freeman is just a tool for the player.

Dante has lines, a persona, he talks in cutscenes, in the past he's had personal goals that aren't just thrust upon him by other characters. He acts for himself, and the player inhabits that body as him. If the player thinks that Dante's goals are silly or unrelatable, he might stop playing.

Oh, and if you're posting on NeoGaf, you are definitely not the target audience for this character... that's a very different kind of teenage dirtbag.

Curufinwe

And the original at 2.1 one platform. Maybe that's why Capcom wasn't impressed with it.

You have to look at the combined install base of the PS3 and 360 in 2008 when DMC 4 came out.

If Dragon's Dogma and DmC combined only sell 2.6 million, maybe Capcom will look back and realize DMC 4 didn't do so badly.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Depends if you want the game to have a good story or not. Regardless of whether you can relate to them or not the character has to actually have depth, logical character progression reasons for actions and reactions, and an actual purpose as to why that particular character is important or important in telling a story. Those characters don't really have that much depth they have some back story etc, but you aren't likely to come away with something from those characters life lesson's.

A character doesn't have to be relatable if the story is designed in such a around that purpose but in a way that's very real. Video games character haven't really reached that for the most and not all of them need to be, the same with all media. But if your going for a good story somethings gotta give.

I dunno. I disagree. You can understand the heartbreak and trauma of a character without them being relatable to your current standing. I don't need a character to look and act like me to be able to appreciate him, what he does, or how he feels.

Dude, I was obsessed with FF7 as a highschooler, because I was an emo-reject kid who felt alone in the world. Cloud was basically ME. Now I go back and play FF7 and I realize that it's mostly shlock, although there are some pretty good moments.
Dante has lines, a persona, he talks in cutscenes, in the past he's had personal goals that aren't just thrust upon him by other characters. He acts for himself, and the player inhabits that body as him. If the player thinks that Dante's goals are silly or unrelatable, he might stop playing.

Oh, and if you're posting on NeoGaf, you are definitely not the target audience for this character... that's a very different kind of teenage dirtbag.

You related to Cloud? Cloud wasn't an emo-reject kid until the last three hours of a 40-60 hour game. And even then, he was emo as a kid, not as his current character. He only truly became emo in the current Square-Enix bastardization of him. I guess I just perceived the character differently. I don't need a character to be like me to identify with their troubles.

The reason why I picked Mario specifically is because he's an icon. Much like Dante is.

lol, why the personal attack? It was a hypothetical. I am not, nor ever was, a teenage dirtbag.

sleepykyo

Well Dragon's Dogma got nowhere near Skyrim, and DmC is not going to get close to God of War or Batman.

Well I did add long term shift. ;p

And I mentioned that in a past post that Capcom doesn't expect that from DmC [1]. That'll be DmC 2's job and yeah Dragon's Dogma is a bust. It'll be interesting see what franchise that team is going to launch next gen.

KTallguy

Banned
They made OG Dante as relatable as Solid Snake

They gave the player an avatar to do some cool actions that said some dude-bro shit while you went thru levels to rake up a high score.

If that's the case, then why have cutscenes really? Why have a story? They obviously invested time and money into it, so I think they want the character to be more than that.

The core MGS characters have somewhat ok character growth, that's the only thing that salvages the story. which really isn't all that great. I love MGS despite this, because I like the characters.

But by doing that they made a character that people were attracted to and drawn to who then became somewhat of an icon

That's a good argument for him being a "sub character", like he was in Nero's game, and like Snake became in MGS2. There's nowhere left for his character to go, so he becomes a trusted advisor that gives a new player character direction. Unfortunately everyone will just bitch and moan if you do that.

I dunno. I disagree. You can understand the heartbreak and trauma of a character without them being relatable to your current standing. I don't need a character to look and act like me to be able to appreciate him, what he does, or how he feels.

Heartbreak and trauma, depending on how they're presented, are somewhat universal human concepts. Dante had some of that in DMC1, I think? DMC3 also had a kind of "coming of age" vibe (that was pretty much not there most of the time). It's not about looking and acting like you, it's about the character being put in different contexts and reacting and changing as they move through time.

Dahbomb

Personally I don't relate to og Dante or new Dante at all. I don't wear leather jackets, I don't play pool, rock music is not my preferred genre of music, don't like strawberry sundae, don't like the color red, don't have fair skin, over 6 feet in height (close though), white hair, I don't go to strip clubs, I don't have a traumatic childhood, both of my parents are aliveetc.

Hell I have never even used live firearms nor do I have any interest in using or collecting weapons of any sort. To put it bluntly.... both DmC Dante and og Dante are exactly what I am not. I can't ever "relate" to them and I personally don't see how many people can. Best I have seen is people relate to Dante and Vergils sibling rivalry and the ending of Dmc3 impacted some more than others because of it.. That I can respect.

Korigama

And the original at 2.1 one platform. Maybe that's why Capcom wasn't impressed with it.
They seemed rather satisfied with 2.1 million for Operation Raccoon City, which was multiplatform by comparison and was another case of outsourcing to an unpopular Western developer.

Out of curiosity, are you really expecting DmC to do better than 2.6 million, particularly given Ninja Theory's track record for sales? Attachment of the Devil May Cry name or no, attempting to sell a game that deviates so far from what people liked about the franchise doesn't exactly help.

Granted, it's not to say that it has no chance of selling well at all in spite of the widespread criticism, given how many people actually bought ORC anyway (showing just how much pull the Resident Evil name has, even if it doesn't translate into sales for handheld titles of much better quality like Revelations). Even in the likely event that it fails to do as well as DMC4, Capcom will likely say that it was worth it anyway, just like they did with ORC and Slant Six.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Did you even read what I said? I said nothing about about that or even implied that, i was talking about character depth which has nothing to do with relateable to current standing.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Heartbreak and trauma, depending on how they're presented, are somewhat universal human concepts. Dante had some of that in DMC1, I think? DMC3 also had a kind of "coming of age" vibe (that was pretty much not there most of the time). It's not about looking and acting like you, it's about the character being put in different contexts and reacting and changing as they move through time.

Well, if we're talking about universal human concepts, then I still disagree. DMC3 was exactly the kind of coming of age story that I appreciate. It's just that most people were dismissive of it (some of those elements were overshadowed by the over the top cutscenes, which I also love).

I sound like a broken record here, but there are obviously themes of familial obligation and inherited responsibility throughout the story. The dichotomy of Vergil and Dante, and the loss of their mother that tore them apart - each brother forced into different extremes to cope with their anger. Vergil decides to understand and research the part of himself that destroyed his mother while Dante rejects it. Lady, a human who recognizes the need to clean out the skeletons in her closet. She accepts her responsibility to put things right, and her example inspires Dante to do the same. Sure, it's not "Oscar worthy" or whatever, but it's unique and not mucked up with superfluous social commentary or convoluted conspiracy theories. And the fact that Dante, Vergil, and Lady are performing acrobatics with melee weapons and firearms did not take that away from me.

In a "universal human concept"-way, I can relate to OG Dante despite the fact that he seems invincible.

Did you even read what I said? I said nothing about about that or even implied that, i was talking about character depth which has nothing to do with relateable to current standing.

Sorry about that. I think that my response to the other post got mixed up in my response to you. I agree with you to an extent, but I also feel that developers often sabotage their characters in an attempt to add depth in a contrived or contradictory way (Metroid: Other M)... and ultimately the story that you end up with isn't worth the sacrifice of the character.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Damn dude your videos are on point! Except the "best voice acted scenes," I disagreed with a majority of those. But your character breakdowns are insightful and well executed. I especially love your Talbot video. Bravo.

Edit: But I disagree with most of your RE5 video. :)

KTallguy

Banned
The stuff you describe is very metaphorical, like a fable or legend, particularly the two brothers representing different ideals. Growing up and accepting responsibility is a decent theme (that is used in 75% of all Japanese games... ugh), but in DMC4 he's already a legend and really has nowhere to go. It looks like the reboot is supposed to fix this, bringing him back to that brash kid he was in DMC3, and giving him someone/something to care about that's bigger than he is.

Lady's main arc was "revenge against all demons for killing my family! Demons are all bad! --> not all demons are bad, look at Dante, I was prejudiced!" I mean, I guess that's an arc, just a really simple one.

When it comes down to it, the story is an excuse to bring powerful characters together for "epic battle party time", which is OK, but I guess Capcom wants to do more with the series.

Again, the new story could be utter shit, who knows? Hard to say until it comes out.

Lady's arc was coming to terms she had been living a lie and that her father actually killed her mother, and in turn, she had to overcome her denial/love for the father, the possibility of killing her father

This isn't some great writing, but it's decent and has depth to it

but I guess Capcom wants to do more with the series.

Again, the new story could be utter shit, who knows? Hard to say until it comes out.

problem with all the big wigs at Jpn companies is they treated their talent like shit so they left to form their own [low budget]companies.

Here's a thought big wigs at Capcom... how about you let the person who created the IP do a sequel (at the very least have some involvement in its development). That way you wont have to "try" and figure out where to take it. Leave the thinking to the creative types.

[looks at DMC2 and cries at what could have been then looks at Bayonetta]

Endo Punk

Lady in DMC3 was cute as a button :3

181436-lady1.jpg

I really didn't like how they sleazed her up for DMC4 and her addition was completely pointless fan pandering.

gunbo13

This is a more realistic Dante given the circumstances....the thing I never particularly liked about Japanese characters is that all of this crazy shit happens to them and it doesnt get to them at all or rarely does...like the original Dante...
Play Shadow of the Colossus.
I always wonder the same thing. I don't think I identify with video game characters and I'm not some soulless robot. I more enjoy the protagonist's plight as an observer.

If this game actually turns out to be any good, while I'm playing it I will intermittently chuckle to myself as I think back on this thread.

The video isn't even about the game being bad. In terms of gameplay, I think it will be a bit better than Heavenly Sword, and much better than Enslaved.

Dante was always a cheeseball character, and the scripts have always been bad. It was never meant to be high art, it's been a schlocky series from the beginning.

I can see why people "like" the party-time Dante from DMC4 with the confetti blowing around and all that weird gesturing, but I think people need to get their head out of the sand. This image just doesn't appeal to a lot of people:

If you really go back and look at the old games, the story and characters are impossible to relate to. They're just fantastical hero legends.

The new game isn't out yet, so no one can really say if the new Dante is a good character or not. But a lot of people can relate to the "fight the power" angle, and they're already hinting that he starts as an asshole and slowly finds something to care about as he goes through the game. There's plenty of potential for a simple character arc.

I doubt that the story will be Oscar worthy, but it'll definitely be a bit more thought provoking and relatable for a general audience. And really, there's not much worth saving from the old "party time" character... how much growth has Dante had throughout the entire series up to this point?

Last point: if DMC4 had sold like gangbusters, they probably wouldn't have rebooted the character.

You know, I disagreed with you before when I read this, but after this last page, I agree if only for popcorn purposes.

Tis glorious, it is.

DanielJr82

Good rant, man. Too late now to make any changes, but perhaps on sequels they'll actualize his appearance to match his attitude.

My thinking is that this game is a prequel. So him NOT having the attitude and collected demeanor of the dante we know makes sense. He is a young punk for now. Also his devil trigger being the dante we know (evolution of power) also makes sense. Meaning the dante we know is at a certain level of power "all the time", which obviously is beyond human.

But I agree with others in the view that, your idea of where the story is going or why things pare presented is premature. If the person had their hands on the final product I could understand but taking tidbits of the promotional material and creating your own narrative to stitch it together isn't helping anyone.

oh god

Old Dante was a douche with white hair, a red trench coat, who was half-demon. It's just as emo-fantasy as this new version.

As a fan of Devil May Cry, I completely agree. I remember playing DMC3 and thinking that man he was a Ass when he was young, not really caring about anything right from the intro scene... Purposefully getting fucked up, being more concerned with starting a jukebox! What about missile surfing!? He didn't really learn anything until after his fight with Virgil. In DMC4 he was older and more mature (suave to be sure) but still a jerk, albeit a calmer jerk. My fav Dante is DMC4's but only beacuse he seems more balanced. Crap talking Dante from part 1 mixed with high risk reward Fromm part 3 + Age equaled charming rouge flower in mouth playful Dante of part 4.

Since NuDante is young, I expect him to be an Ass.

Top Bottom