• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why DmC's Dante is a Bad Character (Video)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I thought the creative backtracking/changes were pretty obvious. It's true NT didn't make an official statement about it, but they didn't really have to.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
are you talking substantial changes, or just tweaks.

I think they re-examined their initial design in a pretty major way after the reactions. They modified almost every physical aspect of the character in ways to address the internet criticism. They anticipated backlash. It's something to be expected. I also think that they weren't prepared for the level of backlash, nor did their investors. He still looks like a hobo, but that's about as far as it goes.

The initial teaser also leads me to believe that DmC Dante's initial personality was supposed to be substantially different. Sure, you can argue that the teaser is just a teaser, but teasers generally aren't scrapped together willy nilly. There were clear and obvious design choices made in the teaser that are not present in the current incarnation in personality, actions, and appearance.

ezekial45

Banned
I should've been more specific. As in to the cosmetics of the character, or something far more drastic. But it looks you were to the former.

And I'll agree, they made him more presentable, less like a bum, and played up his young, punkish look. It's for the best.

It's not the same continuity, so no, it isn't a prequel. Original Dante and DmC Dante are literally two completely different characters (the former is half-demon, half-human, while the latter isn't even human at all, instead being half-demon, half-angel).

With Capcom claiming that it's possible for them to potentially continue DmC if successful, yet also bring back the main series, the question remains if there's any truth to what they say.

Wow, I never realized they were taking that big of a leap. I assume the means Virgil has the same treatment as well or did the mess with his relation as well?

I know right? Like, it's great he tries to make some valid attempt at explaining to the masses why some hardcore DMC fans have issues with the new Dante. But then he'll just go off the deep end and say something stupid like this.

I actually have no problem people having a issue with a character they have seen a combined total of l15 minutes of in various gameplay videos released over months... they want to do that they can. Saying this statement about how the developers don't care, think its a stupid action game with stupid characters, etc... that just a asinine thing to say.

I thought the creative backtracking/changes were pretty obvious. It's true NT didn't make an official statement about it, but they didn't really have to.
The design changes are obvious .. this isn't just some tweaks something much more bigger went on ..
I mean when they released the "new , current updated version" , they all went with "we listened to you , see look and the changes we've made " and so on .
The teaser clearly show a smoker you enjoy torturing his ennemies. So NOt only his attitude , but in the design .. it's obvious many things changed . If the NT defenders can't see that , then kudos to them .

Wow, I never realized they were taking that big of a leap. I assume the means Virgil has the same treatment as well or did the mess with his relation as well?
They are still brothers and that's all. Virgil attitude about humanity clearly isn't the same and who know what they changed after that.

.GqueB.

Banned
Instead of being clever with wordplay, new Dante just saying and writing "fuck you" in those scenes. Swearing alone doesn't make your cool, but it can be cool and intense when used correctly. New Dante just throws it around without any charisma behind it.

Don't talk, just die.
King? Here's your crown.
I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with LEIIIIAIIIIIGHHHHHHHTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!
Flock off feathered face. Or you want to stay around and find it the hard way.
No.Talking.
This party's getting CRAZY... let's ROCK
Hey look its got wings!

Yea I miss the old Dante. Such a wordsmith.

Honestly, this seems like a case where people are not remembering any specifics about what was there before and are just assuming it was all generally better. The writing has never been good. Dantes old design was way better and more stylish but lets not pretend he was some great character that we shouldn't be tampering with.

Conan-san

We all know Dante is a dork, that is what made him great. Dood wonders into an apocalypse in progress (SMT: Nocturne) and is completely oblivious to the fact that the end of the world is happening all the while.

So Capcom made a really safe, by the numbers HD version of DmC in 4 and people complained that it was getting stale.

So they hire a new studio that has an interesting track record, known for their quality story and characters, who try and change things up. And I'll admit that Ninja Theory is not known for their quality marketing, but I will at least give them the benefit of the doubt before screaming betrayal.
There's a difference, just a slight one, between refreshing the status quo and changing the main character to be an unlikeable twat who uses the word "fuck" as punctuation.

And Capcom really don't give half a fuck towards betraying anyone, they'd slit their own grandma's throats for another 100 yen these days.

Top Bottom