• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why it's totally wrong to expect Nintendo's next handheld to have an high res screen.

LeleSocho

Banned
The bolded isn't quite true. The vita is only bigger than the 3ds only if you count certain dimensions only. The original 3ds is basically a small square whereas the Vita is a large rectangle. The Vita was wider, sure, but it was also more comfortable to hold and smaller overall.

No the VIta is bigger, period.

3DS is 13,4*2,1*7,4= 208 cubic centimeters
Vita is 8,5*18,3*1,5= ~272 cubic centimeters

Rolf NB

540p to 720p or Nintendo should just go software only. Anything less in 2016/17 would make them the laughing stock of the electronics world and worse still, they'd be finding it harder to find people still producing lower res screens in bulk to get those production savings.
They already are. Every piece of hardware Nintendo released after the Gamecube / GBA was "laughable" in exactly that way. Of course nobody actually laughs when the price is good and the margins are better. Nintendo's engineering work is respectable. What they are doing is not some bumbling incompetence you'd scoff your nose at. They are just penny pinching to unparalleled extremes.

finalflame

Gold Member
Cheaply manufactured Chinese phones? Like all phone parts (even up to the high end iPhones) aren't produced in the same Chinese factories lol.

You're trying to defend the indefensible, even if you managed to prove that a 1080p / quad core / 4 hour battery mobile device couldn't be manufactured at a reasonable price point in 2015. Theres absolutely no way it wouldn't be cheap to manufacture in 2016/2017. Mobile tech is currently the fastest paced technology sector. 1440p screens will be old news soon.

Cheap to manufacture? Sure, especially with companies that have really low quality standards. For every regularly priced device, there is a shitty cheap chinese knockoff. Mobile device are no exception.

Phone produced by manufacturers with decent quality control and a footprint the size of Nintendo retail for $600+ in the performance category that people in this thread want. Why should Nintendo strategy and pricing be compared to chinese knockoff companies as opposed to other industry leaders?

I think a 540p screen would be ok, if that would allow for easier scaling to and from 1080p.

Is that how it works?

If it was native res, then yeah, it is. 540p is fine. The lowest they can possibly acceptably go. 720p'd great but no one expect them to actually put decent hardware in anything anymore. 1080p is a pipedream and probably overkill.

No the VIta is bigger, period.

3DS is 13,4*2,1*7,4= 208 cubic centimeters
Vita is 8,5*18,3*1,5= ~272 cubic centimeters

Hmmm. So it is. Huh. I must have been using an XL for too long. The XL is surely bigger, right?

ozfunghi

None of these are strictly true depending on context. A 1080p screen must cost more than a 720p one right now...but both would be likely cheaper than a 240 screen in 2017 because Nintendo would essentially be ordering an archival legacy screen that isn't used in god damn anything else.

Depending on context? Like how? You want a 1080p screen when the GPU isn't powerful enough to output games in 1080p? Then what's the point? Even if a higher resolution screen doesn't cost more. In order to really take advantage of it, the rest of the hardware has to follow suit.

Vena

You can buy a $200 phone thats quad core, 1080p, ultra thin and can play games at max load for 3-4hours plus...

No, you can't.

Right now the LG G2 is probably the highest quality "cheap" high-end phone you can buy if you get a factory dump (other comparable hardware is either stuck with Windows 8.1 or more expensive). You can buy it for <200$ (in fact I bought one not long ago for its OIS on the camera) but what you speak of is pure fantasy. Max load for 3-4 hours? Phones aren't optimized for gaming or such crazy loads.

Average every day use puts it under 7 hours. You try loading that up to play heavy games and you'll have one hot-ass phone and dead battery.

Newline

He doesn't have to prove that. You made that ridiculous claim and still haven't been able to back it up.
GameBench_Asphalt_rankingtable.png
I have the SM-N900 (Galaxy Note 3), it has a 1080p screen, quad core processor and the results while playing Asphalt speak for themselves.
Oh and it has the ever present 3200mAh battery which on average gets 3-4 hours of juice across devices.

None of the tech present in the note 3 is currently expensive to produce.

ZeroX03

Banned
I think a 540p screen would be ok, if that would allow for easier scaling to and from 1080p.

Is that how it works?

Yes if you wanted a handheld that would directly output to TV sure it would upscale well.

If they're just using a similar architecture between console and handheld so they can run the same games but use different internal tech, the rendering resolutions wouldn't matter because the console could just drive more natively anyway.

I have the SM-N900 (Galaxy Note 3), it has a 1080p screen, quad core processor and the results while playing Asphalt speak for themselves.
Oh and it has the ever present 3200mAh battery which on average gets 3-4 hours of juice across devices.

lmfao

Depending on context? Like how? You want a 1080p screen when the GPU isn't powerful enough to output games in 1080p? Then what's the point? Even if a higher resolution screen doesn't cost more. In order to really take advantage of it, the rest of the hardware has to follow suit.

I was referring to your statement on cost. Why are you rebutting with something completely different about power? The same concepts apply though. Parts costs go down as the parts themselves rise in popularity and manufacturing costs decrease, but if you're using old enough technology, their relative scarcity of use actually makes costs go up because of production scaling. There's a point where putting out old tech is actually more expensive than putting out new tech, and Nintendo likely passed that line last year and thus we have a New 3ds.

finalflame

Gold Member

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F5PGBEE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yes the MSRP of a Note 3 at launch was $799, and is now still at $564.

finalflame

Gold Member
Yes and thats produced by Samsung. There are other much cheaper manufacturers.

Nintendo is not a cheap Chinese knock-off company, so people need to stop trying to compare their prices to said companies. Comparing to prices by the likes of Samsung, LG, and Apple are all perfectly reasonable.

Freeman

Banned
3DS screen is pure shit.

540p or 720p it the minimum for me to take them serious, no 3D.

If they are incapable of producing a decent hardware they better just stop being a platform holder.

sörine

Banned
I'm pretty sure the engine was used for Unit 13 and another game that I'm forgetting. It was only used once by sony bend.
No, you're right! Same engine.

I'm guessing Bend's inFamous pitch would've used it too.

They created a Vita engine using ND's code and assistance as a base.
Naughty Dog gave them assets and supevised the game itself. But Bend wasn't downporting PS3 code, they developed their own engine.

If you want more examples of subnative original games there's Unit 13, Resistance Burning Skies, Wipeout 2048 (dynamic res), Soul Sacrifice, Hot Shots Golf 6. And that's just from Sony, they have more subnative original games than they do ports (just LBP, GOW Collection and Resogun). Again, it's not just subnative ports here.

People who keep comparing this situation to smart phones are forgetting Nintendo has to sell this at 200 or less and still make a profit, IMO.

ZeroX03

Banned
Nintendo is not a cheap Chinese knock-off company, so people need to stop trying to compare their prices to said companies. Comparing to prices by the likes of Samsung, LG, and Apple are all perfectly reasonable.

Even Xiaomi doesn't go anywhere near that cheap.

People who keep comparing this situation to smart phones are forgetting Nintendo has to sell this at 200 or less and still make a profit, IMO.

Vita costs about 200 now right? For a machine that came out 3 years ago? It'd be embarassing if the new Nintendo handheld doesn't even match it.

beril

I haven't read the thread and I'm way too drunk right now, but I agree with the thread title. As a developer I'd be disappointed if the next Nintendo handheld screen is any higher res than 480p or so. It'd be a massive waste of GPU power IMO

If they keep the 3D, it'll obviously affect the resolution as well and anything higher would be crazy

Newline

And it's not like Samsung have particularly good profit margins either.

Samsung devices cost around $250 to manufacture, most of which is down to the ridiculous tech they pump tonnes of R&D into. Like for instance their AMOLED displays. Now have you seen the LCD displays present on the 3DS/WiiU Controller?

It's much fairer to compare the nintendo manufacturing process to a cheap knockoff brand than Samsung/Apple.

LeleSocho

Banned

1) Asphalt 7 is a mobile game that sincerely looks like crap and runs like crap and nowhere near as complicated as a handheld game
2) The note 3 does not cost like you cheapo chinese 200$ smartphone nor you will find an equivalent at that much (and no the fact that is "quad core" doesn't mean they are as powerful if you knew something of technology)
3) 4 Hours of battery life isn't great at all

StevieP

Banned
ITT, so many people care only about the Ps and fail hard at realizing you need an expensive battery sucking Gpu to drive the higher Ps at native rez. See: Vita and it's messy non native titles, so so many mobile games on "retina" resolutions. Yuck.

Newline

1) Asphalt 7 is a mobile game that sincerely looks like crap and runs like crap and nowhere near as complicated as a handheld game
2) The note 3 does not cost like you cheapo chinese 200$ smartphone nor you will find an equivalent at that much (and no the fact that is "quad core" doesn't mean they are as powerful if you knew something of technology)
3) 4 Hours of battery life isn't great at all
The 3DS was estimated to cost $100 to manufacture while it retailed at what? $250? Nintendo is in the cheapo Chinese manufacturing business lmfao. Oh and it's battery life was always abysmal... just like the Vita.

StevieP

Banned
The 3DS was estimated to cost $100 to manufacture while it retailed at what? $250? Nintendo is in the cheapo Chinese manufacturing business lmfao.

The estimates you see on the net are all wrong. All of them. Stop paying attention to them. Nintendo lost a ton of money on the 3ds when they dropped it to less than 200 bucks.

Vena

The 3DS was estimated to cost $100 to manufacture while it retailed at what? $250? Nintendo is in the cheapo Chinese manufacturing business lmfao. Oh and it's battery life was always abysmal... just like the Vita.

...?

You're grossly misinformed or not looking at the whole picture of how production of a good works.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Vita costs about 200 now right? For a machine that came out 3 years ago? It'd be embarassing if the new Nintendo handheld doesn't even match it.

The Vita was sold at a loss.

There is a reason why Sony dumped it after a year or so.

Vena

They're trying to recoup losses, the Vita was a loss-leader and marketed that way to try and curtail the market away from the weaker 3DS... which was also a loss-leader. Just imagine how much of a loss the Vita was being sold at.

StevieP

Banned
Swap the library of the Vita and the 3DS and the Vita would be doing great and 3DS would be struggling.

Swap the ps4 and wii u library and... Oh wait, that's a useless argument. There's a reason why the 3ds has the library it does. Development costs on the platform are also lower.

LeleSocho

Banned

All i see is you talking about abstract facts trying to avoiding all the points.
Find me a single phone that manages to run a game like Half Life 2 well at native 1080p for 4 hours or more that costs 200$ to the consumers or less.
Then if you manage to do so we can nuke this thread and put me in worst shame possible.

I guess i'll see you in 2017-2018.

Id guess they would almost have to go out of their way to find a supplier for a new, low resolution screen.

I dont see how it would be acceptible for them at this point.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What about the iPod touch? Not subsidized, not on a phone contract, I think the performance isn't too bad, battery life is OK, and the screen res is nice. Nintendo should be targeting 720p capacitive.

I think they probably are. Honestly I can't imagine it's cheap to even get a screen these days with that low DPI.

This is some "I'm an expert" level shit lol, well played.

Isn't Killzone Mercenary like...one of maybe 3 games that aren't 2D that run at Native res on Vita?

Edit: Ok it's more than 3, but it's maybe like 20-25 at most.

The majority of Vita games run at native res. "20-25 at most" lol. Maybe that's most Vita games!

All i see is you talking about abstract facts trying to avoiding all the points.
Find me a single phone that manages to run a game like Half Life 2 well at native 1080p for 4 hours or more that costs 200$ to the consumers or less.
Then if you manage to do so we can nuke this thread and put me in worst shame possible.

I guess i'll see you in 2017-2018.

I bet the current gen iPod touch could do it. Well, not sure on the 4 hours part. But considering the Xbox ran HL2, I'm sure they could port it to the modern mobile architecture. That's, what, $199?

Newline

To manufacture. When you include other costs and not just internet estimations of manufacturing costs, at $170 the 3DS was selling at below cost.
Yes a product has to hit a price that covers advertising, research, development and marketing along with the manufacturing. Hence why overall costs end up being higher. That doesn't change anything though. A galaxy smartphone still costs 2.5x more to manufacture than the 3DS does. Why? Because it uses rather cheap parts. If instead of the outdated tech Nintendo choses to use for reasons unbeknownst to the public, they used current mobile technology. They could easily manufacture a HD device with a decent battery life. The 3DS is yet to produce a game yet that would be technically challenging to run at HD on a current smart phone...

What about the iPod touch? Not subsidized, not on a phone contract, I think the performance isn't too bad, battery life is OK, and the screen res is nice. Nintendo should be targeting 720p capacitive.

I think they probably are. Honestly I can't imagine it's cheap to even get a screen these days with that low DPI.

The majority of Vita games run at native res. "20-25 at most" lol. Maybe that's most Vita games!

I bet the current gen iPod touch could do it. Well, not sure on the 4 hours part. But considering the Xbox ran HL2, I'm sure they could port it to the modern mobile architecture. That's, what, $199?

How about the nexus 7, has everything you just said, plus it's sub $200.

StevieP

Banned
Yes a product has to hit a price that covers advertising, research, development and marketing along with the manufacturing. Hence why overall costs end up being higher. That doesn't change anything though. A galaxy smartphone still costs 2.5x more to manufacture than the 3DS does. Why? Because it uses rather cheap parts. If instead of the outdated tech Nintendo choses to use for reasons unbeknownst to the public, they used current mobile technology. They could easily manufacture a HD device with a decent battery life. The 3DS is yet to produce a game yet that would be technically challenging to run at HD on a current smart phone...

No. The loss was per unit. It did not include research development advertising etc. Educate yourself

This is such a stupid thread as it ignores that the latest Vita model already gets acceptable battery life in the 2013 model while outputting a resolution more than twice that of the 3DS. By 2016 I'm pretty sure Nintendo should be able to pull something off that's more power that has at least it's battery life. Even the games which miss full resolution are still running at twice the resolution of the 3DS, so I'm not sure why you bring it up as a negative in the OP. If they can't manage 1080P and a large screen fine, but we've already seen that there are better alternative routes Nintendo can take but probably won't, and it's time people stop making excuses for them as they never pass their savings on to the consumer anyway.

TheChaos0

100% guaranteed to be at least 720. There's zero doubt and zero possibility it will be below that. There's a bigger chance that they'll start making xbox exclusive games than it being sub 720. Zero.

In my opinion there's close to 0% of getting 720p or better. You must also remember that higher resolution will simply mean higher production costs. It would be the final nail in dedicated handheld gaming.

ZeroX03

Banned

Not going to waste any more time on you. You don't know what you're talking about and you can't prove your initial absurd claim.

They're trying to recoup losses, the Vita was a loss-leader and marketed that way to try and curtail the market away from the weaker 3DS... which was also a loss-leader. Just imagine how much of a loss the Vita was being sold at.

My point is do you honestly think the parts that went into the Vita will cost the same 5 years later? Of course not. If Nintendo can't make a profit in 2016 with 4-5 year old hardware then they're more incompetent than I can imagine.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

http://www.examiner.com/article/sony-to-sell-playstation-vita-for-a-loss-profitable-3yrs

Sony stated before Vita launch, that they hopes to be profitable in 3 years with the Vita. That was when they forecast the Vita will sell 10 million within 3Q of Vita's initial fiscal year.

Obviously things didn't go according to that plan, since Vita only reached that milestone probably recently. There's a high chance they have not recoup everything yet.

Top Bottom