• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Spiderman's QTEs/button prompts get a free pass while other games got crucified?

vivekTO

Yeah i have seen a few people complaining but i think it's nowhere even near to the backlash games like The Order and Ryse got.I don't know maybe i had the wrong impression.

There is a difference between the whole gameplay revolve around QTE like ryse and using QTE for cinematic set piece only which is what happening in Spiderman. I think u missed the first part of the trailer.

Also it seems like you really never bothered to venture into the Spiderman E3 thread, only complain people had in the thread is about QTE.

You kidding me op? The thread about the trailer is unbearable to read because QTE kicked their dogs and act like it's the only way the game is play when in fact it's just for big set pieces.

Outside of the QTEs, this is the Spider-Man game I've always dreamed of. I'm not fond of them but they hardly ruin the experience.

bunkitz

What the heck are you talking about? It's the biggest criticism about the game and I haven't seen an entire page not mention it yet.

Not only did people not give it a pass but they were losing their fucking minds over it

Here's a better OP that I suggest you start over with: "Why uncharted/God of war qtes get a free pass but Spider-Man gets crucified?"

That's at least slightly closer to being accurate

QTEs in gameplay vs QTEs in a huge setpiece.

Spiderman did not have QTEs in the gameplay.

And loads of people are complaining about them anyway so

This is a good way of putting it. I haven't played Ryse, but in The Order they're absolutely rife throughout the game. In the Spider-Man gameplay they're clearly only there for contextual actions as part of a set-piece.

Did you read the alternative NeoGAF version?

Search for "qte fest" and then redo your thread premise.

Yeah, it seems like a bit of research was necessary before doing this topic.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If you click the theme link in the top bar three times the QTE complaints disappear -- true story.

Most of what I saw during the Spiderman part of the Sony conference was people calling out and bashing the QTEs...

OP, trust me, it's not getting a free pass, it was called out extensively...

Until someone can create a cinematic setpiece without QTE's, they don't bother me for those.

However if it's in the regular combat, then I don't like it.

As much as I am waiting for this game to be released. The QTEs felt like really trash and I'm not alone on this one, so no, it does not get a free pass

Frostman

Yeah, I'm sure I don't need to say it but if you've been following this game at all before making this thread you would know that people have been criticising the QTE's.

I'm not sure why though, because how else are they going to carry out these big set pieces, in-game and on the stick? You can't.

sublimit

Banned
lol OP you tried but you failed. Every thread involving the game has many comments about it. I don't know under what rock you're living or what agenda you're trying to push. It is egregious, but everyone has already called it out.

*me trying to push an agenda*
lol

Sorry it's just that i didn't think there was the same outrage as other games had.
If i was mistaken then i'm sorry,my bad.I'm sure the mods will close this thread.

Also for me personally QTEs are equally terrible regardless if they belong in a setpiece sequence or during normal gameplay.

Ehker

Certainly not smart decision by Insomniac to show off QTEs like that.

They're not even very good to play, but to on top of that make us watch a QTE in a presentation is even more removed and pointless to viewers.

eso76

A) it has been crucified
B) they were used as part of a setpiece
C) a setpiece meant to be shown during a conference when devs try to make the game look as spectacular as possible.

A lot of people can still discern that 90% of the game won't be like that, a lot of people can still understand that trying to show unadulterated regular gameplay at conferences inevitably ends up boring the audience, a lot of people saw that the demo still had plenty of sandbox gameplay to offer before the scripted sequence. It's not like pushing a button initiates a QTE, here it is merely a way to inject a little interactivity into a cutscene, which is absolutely fine.

Why is it so hard for you people to understand that the QTE's used for cinematic set pieces are not representative of the moment to moment open world gameplay? You're chasing a chopper while stopping falling debris from crushing citizens, how else do you pull that off without a completely passive cutscene?

Gurish

I seriously don't know what you are talking about, for the past week most of the debate around Spiderman was around the QTEs, obviously just like in any debate some think they are fine but lots of others think they are not, but how can anyone think it got a free pass is beyond me considering the noise around it.

Gradly

OXq24kP.png

And I'm very OK with that. I trust Insomniac with anything they do

I can't say I like QTEs in big cinematic moment setpieces but I can't say they bother me. As long as they stay out of the actual gameplay, I'm fine with it.

I have a high tolerance for QTE in games, I think some people are always going to complain about it and it never truly gets a pass.

Vinc

I have literally never seen a stronger negative response to such a short and seemingly optional use of QTEs before, so I'm not sure I get your point.

Kinda Funny said the behind closed doors demo person specifically called out that the QTE prompts are suggestions and very much contained to select areas of the game. I don't expect them to be as intrusive as some people make them out to be. E3 demos tend to go for high spectacle segments.

kobu

The reaction to the QTEs in the spider-man demo just prove to me how irrational some gamers can be.

Yeah i have seen a few people complaining but i think it's nowhere even near to the backlash games like The Order and Ryse got.I don't know maybe i had the wrong impression.

It definitely seems like you haven't been paying attention to discussion here about it. Also, Ryse and the Order have been out for years, obviously you've heard more criticism about those two than of a game that was first shown a couple days ago during E3.

What were you expecting, multiple threads dedicated to the topic?

sublimit

Banned
It definitely seems like you haven't been paying attention to discussion here about it. Also, Ryse and the Order have been out for years, obviously you've heard more criticism about those two than of a game that was first shown a couple days ago during E3.

What were you expecting, multiple threads dedicated to the topic?

I was refering and comparing to the early discussions about those games before their releases.

silva1991

Because people want to play the game not watch a glorified cinematic trying to pretend that it's part of the gameplay.

I want to play as Spider-Man climbing up the falling crane and trying to stop the get away helicopter not watch it and mindlessly press a button when the prompt pops up reminding me "Oh yeah this is suppose to be a £40 video game and not a £40 movie."

Nothing wrong with few seconds of QTEs when the majority is pure gameplay and the vast majority are ok with that

Bosses designed around QTEs will be lame tho.

Skeeter49

Spiderman looks like fun gameplay wise, with cool setpieces every few story missions. The Order and Ryse didn't look fun to play.

gamerMan

On GAF, I think it's mainly because the graphics, story, and character development look so good so people are willing to look the other way and make every excuse in the book as to why they should be in the game.

I don't think it is getting a pass on the show floor. The reliance on QTEs was a heavily asked question in the behind the scenes demo. At first, Insomniac didn't know how to respond and they didn't even know if there were fail states in the QTEs. They are still working it out.

However, because the question was asked so much, they became well rehearsed and began saying that it is not reflective of the whole game. They understand that people are "very concerned." They were on the defensive. See this discussion on QTE discussion of Spiderman on the GI Show.

It's hard to take a vertical slice of your game and show people what to expect of the whole game. Most of the time for E3, you want to take the best part of your game and show it off. You wouldn't show off the worst part. Spiderman videogame fans wanted to see the open world, not a scene filled with over 20 scripted QTEs. Of course, maybe Insomniac decided to cut this video for casual gamers who are fans of the comic books and movies to show off the amazing visuals and cool camera angles. We can only hope this is the case.

In the end, I hope something will come out of this discussion and make the game the best Spiderman game, because if anybody can do it, it is Insomniac.

Shock32

Ryse and the order got crucified because the linear gameplay was based around QTEs. Spiderman could probably swing around the city with minimal or no QTEs. Youll only see them in boss battles/set pieces. Which is pretty common now a days.

eso76

Why is it so hard for you people to understand that the QTE's used for cinematic set pieces are not representative of the moment to moment open world gameplay? You're chasing a chopper while stopping falling debris from crushing citizens, how else do you pull that off without a completely passive cutscene?

Well, tbh you absolutely can pull that off. As long as you don't get a 'mission failed' and instadeath the moment the debris you failed to stop crush the civilians below.

The point is, games, fast paced ones especially, wouldn't work if they had gameplay mechanics changing on you all the time.
Turning sequences where the main character is required to perform completely different actions from those that constitute the majority of the gameplay, into playable ones would mean making the title some sort of minigames collection and would break the flow.
Everything the main character can't do using the game's core mechanics (swinging and beating up goons) should stay passive or QTE spiced up cutscene. I don't know about you but I'd rather have this than a series of Uncharted 4 final boss fights.

HardRojo

The QTEs were part of a setpiece, not sure why people are getting up in arms about it
Yeah, it seems like whether they are implemented nicely or not, there will be people who will hate them anyway. Kind of when you hate someone and despise every little thing they do, no matter how insignificant or actually interesting it is.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Urm it didn't quite a few poster including myself, a die hard Spider-Man fan, were critical of the Quick time event.

I even ended up canceling my pre-order as that wasn't what I wanted.

This seems incredibly silly.

The QTEs seem to only be in cinematic scenes where you really wouldn't be able to control what was happening either way. Why cancel a pre-order over that?

Top Bottom