• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Spiderman's QTEs/button prompts get a free pass while other games got crucified?

VLiberty

there's a lot people saying somehitng like "game's on autoplay" "it's like the order" and that's already embarassing enough, op.

This seems incredibly silly.

The QTEs seem to only be in cinematic scenes where you really wouldn't be able to control what was happening either way. Why cancel a pre-order over that?

Pretty much.

As long as the gameplay isn't JUST button prompts to do everything.

I am baffled by the criticism. It's an open world game, it won't be riddled with QTE's.

Some of you need to use your common sense.

Papacheeks

Banned
EDIT:OK IT SEEMS MY IMPRESSION WAS WRONG.MODS PLEASE CLOSE THIS.

I remember games like Ryse and The Order got quite a bit of a backlash due to how many QTEs and button prompts they showed in their trailers however i find it strange how no one seems to be bothered now with Spiderman's trailer being besically a QTE/button prompt fest.

Is it because Spiderman is a popular and beloved IP?

Be nice if op actually knew what they were talking about. Insomniac even said that was a special key story event. Rest of the game is not like that. And it also was not final. There was going to be more of u saving people in that whole section which is a story best not the entire game.

thill1985

Banned
There is a difference between the whole gameplay revolve around QTE like ryse and using QTE for cinematic set piece only which is what happening in Spiderman. I think u missed the first part of the trailer.

RYSE had entirely optional QTE's as finishing moves.

mas8705

In fairness, Spiderman has given us some hilarious QTE fails.

616.gif

That said though, it is a bit of a shame that we are finding ourselves here once again with not just games, but with Spiderman again.

kadotsu

Banned
Because just make it a cut scene then. All you're doing is hitting a button to make the cut scene play more. That's never been fun.

You directly go out of a cutscene into swinging in the demo footage. There is no cut. The QTE is needed to keep the hands of the player on the controller.

thill1985

Banned
Nah not really. Especially when in a 9 minute gameplay trailer, less than one whole minute is QTE

Errrr, that's a lot...If the intention is to show off something that is essentially non-interactive then just make it a cutscene. QTE's cheapen action set pieces in my view. Modern games should strive to let players play the action out themselves.

eizarus

Banned
I haven't watched the trailer yet myself but this thread has definitely killed most of my hype for it. Seems like it's shaping up to be a fancier version of the Amazing Spider-Man games that came out with the Garfield movies.
Web slinging, based on what was in that thread about it, looks lame too. But screw it, I'll watch the E3 video and make up my mind then.

Oh and
imadeitwh0.gif

Mr-Joker

Banned
Weird thread. There's no free pass. There are many more thread and discussion and developer acknowledgement on it.

And the game isn't even out yet. And QTE has always been part of Spiderman games.

This thread is a missed QTE.

o8POsac.gif

False, I have played the PS1 Spider-Man, PS1 Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 1 Movie, the GBA version of Spider-Man 1 movie Spider-Man 2 Movie, Amazing Spider-Man, a bit of Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man.

Not a single one of them had quick time event.

Nothing wrong with few seconds of QTEs when the majority is pure gameplay and the vast majority are ok with that

Bosses designed around QTEs will be lame tho.

I don't agree, I just find Quick Time event to be a lazy way of showing spectacles game play by turning them into a scripted cinematic, thus lowering the skill requirement from the players.

I want to play as Spider-Man doing those fancy cool moves not watch them.

This seems incredibly silly.

The QTEs seem to only be in cinematic scenes where you really wouldn't be able to control what was happening either way. Why cancel a pre-order over that?

Because;

1, I don't like games that are heavy with cinematic cut scenes trying to disguise themselves as game play.

2, I am not a fan of how they decided to use the Arkham combat system nor do I like the regenerating web meter,

3, I don't want to play as Peter Parker,

4, I pre-ordered the game too early as I thought it was releasing in 2017 not 2018, meaning there is parts of the game that I don't know,

5, I will probably get it when it gets a price drop or I might skip it depending on the final product.

I haven't watched the trailer yet myself but this thread has definitely killed most of my hype for it. Seems like it's shaping up to be a fancier version of the Amazing Spider-Man games that came out with the Garfield movies.
Web slinging, based on what was in that thread about it, looks lame too. But screw it, I'll watch the E3 video and make up my mind then.

Oh and
imadeitwh0.gif

You... haven't watched the trailer yet? And you were making both positive and now negative assumptions about it?

"I'll watch the E3 video and make up my mind then," is what you should have done before making this comment, man.

LionPride

Banned
Errrr, that's a lot...If the intention is to show off something that is essentially non-interactive then just make it a cutscene. QTE's cheapen action set pieces in my view. Modern games should strive to let players play the action out themselves.
How...how is less than a minute in a straight 9 minute gameplay playthrough a lot?

The amount of bitching about the QTEs in an E3 stage demo of a spectacular, linear mission clearly meant to show off spectacle is so disproportionate.

eizarus

Banned
You... haven't watched the trailer yet? And you were making both positive and now negative assumptions about it?

"I'll watch the E3 video and make up my mind then," is what you should have done before making this comment, man.
I don't like quick time events. I've seen the web swinging and it looks rubbish. That's enough for me to bail out on a Spidey game. Hence the "assumptions" culminating with me saying it's killed a lot of the hype I had, but not entirely.

thill1985

Banned
How...how is less than a minute in a straight 9 minute gameplay playthrough a lot?

What do you mean 'how'? 1 minute out of 9 is a lot of time to be spent on QTE's in an action set piece scenario. Especially if it's mandatory QTE's. Plus, you aren't counting the actual cutscenes in the demo which trim things down by several more minutes. Given the really cool acrobatics done in the genuine gameplay portions it seems odd to have some actions that you have already performed in the moments prior suddenly be QTE's. They already have high octane scripted/animated sequences play out on autopilot in several other segments of the demonstration. Why not have the QTE segments do the same?

For instance, the first QTE was something the player *just* did to other enemies moments prior. Why does it need to be a QTE this time around? The crane scene literally just has the player doing timed jumps. There are lots of better ways to design that which result in the same thing without QTE's. Shooting the crane hook does not need to be a QTE either...just have it swing back and make players dodge or get knocked off to force them to realize they should stick it to the building. The demo was already hyper scripted and non-interactive as is. Either hide that stuff behind other mechanics or make it all non-interactive imo.

kogasu

I was seeing plenty of complaints and it was like not even that big a deal since there was also actual interesting looking gameplay shown. I gave the QTES a "meh" and moved on. It was just a giant scripted event anyway. They wanna make sure Spiderman does the cool thing and looks flashy that's all.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's mass confusion for an Insomiac Spider-Man IP. I'm sure there were people defending Ryse because it was an Xbox One title.

I see it goes both ways. There's a lot of scrutiny about video games. You can have your cake and eat it too, but you won't have to look far to find the opposite opinion.

I remember when I first heard about Project Berkley and how amazing the game was gonna be. Babbages even had a printed out piece of paper with information about it. Long before it was known as ShenMue. If I hadn't heard people complain so much about the QTE's then I wouldn't have developed this feeling about it being such a problem. God of War was fun, but some people rather discuss its QTE problems. That's like the only thing they can relate to the game.

Press X to pay respect was like a 20-30 second scene in CoD and that crap was all over the Internet like no tomorrow.

Insomniac is a great developer. Hell, Resistence and Rachet and Clank were big 1-2 gens ago. Now, they're making this huge open world Spider-Man game. God only knows when we'll ever get something like this. IMO it could get a sequel.

I think it's because it's a big AAA game and they've got talent and money behind it. No one wants to be a huge critic because it could be a very good game.

I don't like to always point out stuff cause I enjoy things that some people can't stand or always love to point out.

I don't want it to be a "push button to play the movie **cough** I mean... video game" either.

Murder

It's mass confusion for an Insomiac Spider-Man IP. I'm sure there were people defending Ryse because it was an Xbox One title.

I see it goes both ways. There's a lot of scrutiny about video games. You can have your cake and eat it too, but you won't have to look far to find the opposite opinion.

I remember when I first heard about Project Berkley and how amazing the game was gonna be. Babbages even had a printed out piece of paper with information about it. Long before it was known as ShenMue. If I hadn't heard people complain so much about the QTE's then I wouldn't have developed this feeling about it being such a problem. God of War was fun, but some people rather discuss its QTE problems. That's like the only thing they can relate to the game.

Press X to pay respect was like a 20-30 second scene in CoD and that crap was all over the Internet like no tomorrow.

Insomniac is a great developer. Hell, Resistence and Rachet and Clank were big 1-2 gens ago. Now, they're making this huge open world Spider-Man game. God only knows when we'll ever get something like this. IMO it could get a sequel.

I think it's because it's a big AAA game and they've got talent and money behind it. No one wants to be a huge critic because it could be a very good game.

I don't like to always point out stuff cause I enjoy things that some people can't stand or always love to point out.

I don't want it to be a "push button to play the movie **cough** I mean... video game" either.

Or....people didn't like the QTEs in Spider-Man, they aren't getting a pass, and OP is living on another planet.

Nev

Banned
It went from day one to bargain bin to me because of QTEs and automated scripted cinematic garbage.

Who's giving them a pass?

Should've given it to Sucker Punch as everyone with an ounce of common sense would've done.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What do you mean 'how'? 1 minute out of 9 is a lot of time to be spent on QTE's in an action set piece scenario. Especially if it's mandatory QTE's.

sequences like that might happen once every handful of hours, and even that depends on how much time you spend goofing off engaging in open world shenanigans

I've seen the web swinging and it looks rubbish.

i don't even know how one could come to this conclusion unless you just think it isn't fast enough or something

After the amazing 2016 trailer I was hugely disappointed by the E3 gameplay. Looks like the Beenox games with higher production values. Not an original thing in there. Crib notes from other games.

Hope I'm wrong.

eizarus

Banned
Having just watched the E3 video, visually it looks amazing, but I'm still worried that it's going to feel like a sequel to ASM 2. I do love that the environment can be used against enemies so easily. Hopefully it's something that pops up in the game a lot. The QTEs themselves don't seem too bad but yeah, I'd still prefer if they weren't there.
i don't even know how one could come to this conclusion unless you just think it isn't fast enough or something'
A lot of forward-"zipping". Speed and control seem like they're nowhere close to Spiderman 2

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Honestly looks too much like press A for awesome. How is the level of skill and technique displayed between different players when the game seems to automate so much. Arkham style is fine for arkham since it's more of a detective game anyway but if I'm spiderman I'd like to feel like I'm personally pulling off cool shit not scripted cool shit in the form of take downs with minimal inputs and the occassion brawl.

Exodust

Banned
I am baffled by the criticism. It's an open world game, it won't be riddled with QTE's.

Some of you need to use your common sense.

When the majority of the game's showing is QTE's then expect a lot of them. The common sense is that what you see is probably what you're going to get, the reaction isn't surprising.

The game'll probably be decent to pretty good since it's Insomniac, but I was also disappointed in what I saw. I didn't expect Arkham plus QTE's from the developers behind Sunset Overdrive. It doesn't look that much different from Beenox games aside from graphics.

thill1985

Banned
Spiderman's were no different than God of War's. Regular gameplay while seamlessly shifting to prompts and whatnot for more complex or over-the-top moments
https://youtu.be/nLv8Wj_M10g?t=499

GoW doesn't seem to add QTE's frivolously. That is a pretty stark difference compared to Spider-Man's QTE's in this demo. Finishing moves or context-specific actions that are trying to emphasize continued effort (like Spider-Man pulling the panel off the helicopter or most of the stuff Kratos does in GoW game) is better since it the context makes sense. Most of the stuff in this Spider-Man demo does not fit that description. See my edit for some specifics.

What is this mess of a post lmao

When the majority of the game's showing is QTE's then expect a lot of them. The common sense is that what you see is probably what you're going to get, the reaction isn't surprising.

The game'll probably be decent to pretty good since it's Insomniac, but I was also disappointed in what I saw. I didn't expect Arkham plus QTE's from the developers behind Sunset Overdrive. It doesn't look that much different from Beenox games aside from graphics.
Majority? oh my God hahahaha

QTEs in gameplay vs QTEs in a huge setpiece.

Spiderman did not have QTEs in the gameplay.

And loads of people are complaining about them anyway so

This.

Yup, I think it was one of the most talked about things from the demo so it definitely didn't go ignored lol.

I was seeing plenty of complaints and it was like not even that big a deal since there was also actual interesting looking gameplay shown. I gave the QTES a "meh" and moved on. It was just a giant scripted event anyway. They wanna make sure Spiderman does the cool thing and looks flashy that's all.

This.

That stuff looked impressive as hell with him webbing around the crane to wrap it up, which would be completely uncontrollable with traditional controls like that, and the gameplay during the rest outside of the crane seemed pretty great.

thill1985

Banned
sequences like that might happen once every handful of hours, and even that depends on how much time you spend goofing off engaging in open world shenanigans

See my edit. I get much more specific in my criticisms. Also, I do not think what you are expressing is a good excuse. If the focus of the game is on complex open world mechanics/systems they should focus on that for their demo. If this is not indicative of what to expect that is their problem. If it *is* indicative specifically of the more linear segments, then I am still disappointed on the QTE front because doing QTE's without reason is not exciting or engaging to me and the devs should know better.

I am much more sympathetic to the point raised earlier by someone about them wanting to have an excuse to get player's holding onto the controller as the scene transformed into actual gameplay. That at least could account for one of the QTE's but not most of the others.

silva1991

You're doing match wrong

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240677646&postcount=1546

Top Bottom