• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Cannot Display Images Correctly on 4:3 SDTVs

Raistlin

While I lol at the idea of using a 4:3 TV in this era, this does underscore the more general problem with Nintendo.

They have zero fucking clue what they are doing with A/V
amongst other issues

hachi

Banned
Stick with your Wii, it'll look perfect on there. Go through the Virtual Console backlog or something until you feel like upgrading your TV. Buying the WiiHD for a tube set is kind of a weird decision.

Or, just play on the gamepad.

tumblr_m0nu6aIOFH1qeifgdo1_500.jpg

?
I was waiting for someone to post that.

While I lol at the idea of using a 4:3 TV in this era, this does underscore the more general problem with Nintendo.

They have zero fucking clue what they are doing with A/V
amongst other issues

No, this has nothing to do with Nintendo at all (except for any specific games released by Nintendo that don't have their HUD elements in overscan-safe zones), nor does it have anything to do with 4:3 TV sets.

terrisus

I don't get how I'm supposed to screw in the HDMI cable. Do I need to unplug the antenna first?

You have to get one of these first:

$T2eC16FHJHIE9nysd9hEBQS5L3e-hQ~~60_35.JPG

(Actually had to get one of those to hook up my NES when I first got it, since the television I had at the time only had those connectors, it didn't even have a Coax input).

Eusis

They do need to address it, but I guess it's too late for a good, universal solution short of mandating the option be there in every game. Still, you can adjust the browser and the shop as noted (browser's actually funny in that the default has overscan in mind), so I imagine the OS and affected games can be updated to have the option too.

It's not just annoying for CRTs though, some LCDs assume overscan by default with no way to turn off (far as I know), so this needs to be adjustable for them too.

You have to get one of these first:

$T2eC16FHJHIE9nysd9hEBQS5L3e-hQ~~60_35.JPG

(Actually had to get one of those to hook up my NES when I first got it, since the television I had at the time only had those connectors, it didn't even have a Coax input).

Still have one of those bad boys with my Atari 2600. So fucking annoying.

I have an edtv plasma here. Not my television or my call to make in regards to a new television but there's no hdmi plug as it can only do 480p resolution. Anyway 16:9 is optimal for my television with Wii u and it cuts off the menu/home screen as well as hdu stuff in games. It also does it to the gamepad. 4:3 distorts the image too badly and also cuts it off.

Are you saying the most inexpensive decent surround sound system you can get is 800 dollars?

I'm saying that Nintendo sucks at providing options.

They didn't support ANY hd last console, and they can hardly support SD (tv's with overscan issues) now. Hopefully they'll patch it, but the problem is just silly in the first place.

Valnen

The only reason to have a CRT is for PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era games and older.

Come on, even PC monitors have HDMI now. You can play on that until you get a proper TV. That's what I'm doing.

gatti-man

I can afford a 800 dollar HDMI receiver with 5.1 surround sound.

That doesn't mean I should buy an 800 dollar surround sound kit just to get 5.1 because options suck.

EDIT: fixed my brain fart wording.

Hdmi receivers of good quality are like $200. My high quality 1400w Yamaha receiver cost me less than 800 and it has 5 hdmi inputs.

They didn't support ANY hd last console, and they can hardly support SD (tv's with overscan issues) now. Hopefully they'll patch it, but the problem is just silly in the first place.
It's not silly its overscan. Don't like it play on the included tablet controller. The wii came out 6 years ago. It is perfectly acceptable to give legacy/semi decent SD support when 60" HDTVs can be had for $700. This whole thread is silly imo.

There is nothing for Nintendo to patch, this is not a problem with the Wii U. This is a problem with games, in all game consoles throughout history games have had to deal with overscan. The problem is in games putting important HUD elements outside the overscan-safe-zone without an option to move them, there is no real way a game console can deal with it except by making all games worse for everybody.

As someone who still uses an SDTV, this is pretty lame. Granted, it will probably be at least a year until I buy a WiiU, but I still think it's lame of Nintendo not to handle this better. Not all of us own HDTVs.

Valnen

Those PlayStation 3D TVs were $99 just a couple of days ago. Should have been followiong Wario64 on Twitter!

Those PS3 TV's have pretty bad input lag (like 2 frames or so), you're better off with a good PC monitor.

They probably have better IQ for console games than a PC monitor does though.

I don't think they have composite or component. IIRC it's just HDMI... though I could be 100% wrong.

Eh, that's all you need anymore anyway. HDMI is king.

It's not a huge issue if it's just the Wii U software. You shouldn't be using an SDTV for that content.

However, we need to know about Wii Mode (mostly Wii Virtual Console).
That of course won't look great on most HDTV's. So hooking up the Wii U with Wii component cables to a quality SDTV for VC was my idea.

But if there's image issues on SDTV in Wii Mode (VC) due to the Wii U...
There would be problems. You can't even re-buy certain VC games if Wii U turns out not to be the best quality and you want to play VC on Wii. Nintendo delisted the SNES DKC games. No idea what else. I know LostWinds doesn't transfer or play on Wii U.

Good thing I don't have a WiiU. Haven't really tried looking for a new HDTV since my dad accidently dropped mine on its face a few months ago.

As someone who still uses an SDTV, this is pretty lame. Granted, it will probably be at least a year until I buy a WiiU, but I still think it's lame of Nintendo not to handle this better. Not all of us own HDTVs.

This isn't up to Nintendo.

Good thing I don't have a WiiU. Haven't really tried looking for a new HDTV since my dad accidently dropped mine on its face a few months ago.

There are good 32 inch tvs for 200 dollars now.

I'm not telling anyone what to do with their money, but if you're into gaming and you don't have an HDTV by now- you're doing it wrong. They are super cheap for even low income housing.

gatti-man

Its a software and tv issue. What do you expect? SD hasn't been sold for 8 years now minimum. I've owned 3 HDTVs since my last SD TV. And if it bothers you so much use the tablet.

Seriously, who is gaming today on an SDTV? The amount of frustration caused by trying to read menus in 360 games immediately forced me to upgrade. The only reason I kept one around was for the Wii, but it took up to much space.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
People keep saying how Nintendo doesn't "get it", is behind on technical stuff.

Well like... no shit. They're a toy company.

Sony and Microsoft are consumer electronics and software giants, respectively.

If Sega were still around today they'd be getting the same criticism (or they would partner with others to do this stuff for them).

Should Nintendo be better about the technical aspects? Yeah better is better. But personally, my expectations are adjusted. When I buy Nintendo consoles I am buying a gaming toy. I don't really expect it to be the be-all end-all gaming computer that many people wish it to be.

(this wasn't really the best thread for this sentiment.. but I wanted to air it somewhere. I feel it would, at least, help people to understand why Nintendo chronically doesn't "get it right" on technical aspects in the way that Sony/MS consistently aim for).

I use a 4:3 CRT TV in my room. I haven't upgraded it by choice because I play a lot of classic games and really want a CRT to play them properly on. I sometimes use my PS3 on it (in fact, I'm playing Just Cause 2 right now) and some PS3 games are close to unplayable on it. It makes me very happy to see a game on PS3 that supports the SD television.

I was hoping that Nintendo, coming from the Wii, would better support the SD TV, it really sucks that it doesn't.

Oddly enough, most of the issues people have been posting about the Wii U (like the weaker cpu) I don't care about, but the one that affects me the most few here seem to care about. lol.

jbueno

Has it been confirmed if the Wii U does 240p through component on SDTV for Virtual Console titles? That´s the only thing that would keep me from transferring my VC collection from my old Wii.

People keep saying how Nintendo doesn't "get it", is behind on technical stuff.

Well like... no shit. They're a toy company.

Sony and Microsoft are consumer electronics and software giants, respectively.

If Sega were still around today they'd be getting the same criticism (or they would partner with others to do this stuff for them).

Should Nintendo be better about the technical aspects? Yeah better is better. But personally, my expectations are adjusted. When I buy Nintendo consoles I am buying a gaming toy. I don't really expect it to be the be-all end-all gaming computer that many people wish it to be.

Wrong topic?

donny2112

While most of us have HDTVs now I know there are still some GAFers out there who use an SDTV primarily, and if I were one of them I would not buy a Wii U at this point, as you'll see below.

Much thanks for the heads up! Yet another reason to wait on a Wii U. Have an HDTV, but it's not the main TV in use in the house. :)

Seriously, who is gaming today on an SDTV? The amount of frustration caused by trying to read menus in 360 games immediately forced me to upgrade.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe there are more than a few people out there who still play their old, and in some cases, vintage video game consoles and who dont want to put up with the blurry, pixel-stretched mess that an HDTV would afford them?

Your lack of understanding disappoints me, GAF.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe there are more than a few people out there who still play their old, and in some cases, vintage video game consoles and who dont want to put up with the blurry, pixel-stretched mess that an HDTV would afford them?

So why can't you have both? You don't have to have just one TV, you know.

Pimpbaa

Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe there are more than a few people out there who still play their old, and in some cases, vintage video game consoles and who dont want to put up the blurry, pixel-stretched mess that an HDTV would afford them?

Gimping new games with an old tv just so old games look better doesn't seem like it's worth it. Having an old tv off to the side to play old games would be the ideal solution, but playing EVERYTHING through an old tv just seems silly.

There is nothing for Nintendo to patch, this is not a problem with the Wii U. This is a problem with games, in all game consoles throughout history games have had to deal with overscan. The problem is in games putting important HUD elements outside the overscan-safe-zone without an option to move them, there is no real way a game console can deal with it except by making all games worse for everybody.

Why can't they do a letterbox option? They did SD for the past 6 freaking years.

EDIT: Also, black and white upon boot? Yes, it's the Wii U's problem.

Top Bottom