• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Cannot Display Images Correctly on 4:3 SDTVs

Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe there are more than a few people out there who still play their old, and in some cases, vintage video game consoles and who dont want to put up with the blurry, pixel-stretched mess that an HDTV would afford them?

Your lack of understanding disappoints me, GAF.

So you hook all your consoles up to the SD one?

rjc571

Banned
I'll buy an HDTV once somebody comes out with one which can match the image quality of my tube tv on non-native resolution content and which doesn't have input lag. I'll just stick with playing my older consoles if that never happens. I refuse to "upgrade" to inferior screen tech.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe there are more than a few people out there who still play their old, and in some cases, vintage video game consoles and who dont want to put up with the blurry, pixel-stretched mess that an HDTV would afford them?

Your lack of understanding disappoints me, GAF.

whats got do with the brand new console released last week? I still have massive CRT for ps2/dreamcast games but i wouldnt expect a new console to look good on it.

Foxix Von

People keep saying how Nintendo doesn't "get it", is behind on technical stuff.

Well like... no shit. They're a toy company.

Sony and Microsoft are consumer electronics and software giants, respectively.

If Sega were still around today they'd be getting the same criticism (or they would partner with others to do this stuff for them).

Should Nintendo be better about the technical aspects? Yeah better is better. But personally, my expectations are adjusted. When I buy Nintendo consoles I am buying a gaming toy. I don't really expect it to be the be-all end-all gaming computer that many people wish it to be.

(this wasn't really the best thread for this sentiment.. but I wanted to air it somewhere. I feel it would, at least, help people to understand why Nintendo chronically doesn't "get it right" on technical aspects in the way that Sony/MS consistently aim for).

UHhhh. How about not even freaking close? The Dreamcast had not only the standard composite/s-video cables, but at the time supported VGA as well. Nearly every game on that system output in 480p. Games still look gorgeous on the system with the right setup. Not only that but the Sega Genesis was also compatible with a SCART connection of all things, which you can pretty easily convert to component for a gorgeous image.

Sega was very much so ahead of the curve at the time in regards to A/V output. There is no way in HELL they'd be making these kind of bone headed A/V maneuvers.

gatti-man

I'll buy an HDTV once somebody comes out with one which can match the image quality of my tube tv on non-native resolution content and which doesn't have input lag. I'll just stick with playing my older consoles if that never happens. I refuse to "upgrade" to inferior screen tech.

That's silly.

IrishNinja

finally, someone's talking about the real issues

hopefully next we can address the lack of proper RF cables as well

make friends with someone owning a panny plasma

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Untitled-1.png

Gimping new games with an old tv just so old games look better doesn't seem like it's worth it. Having an old tv off to the side to play old games would be the ideal solution, but playing EVERYTHING through an old tv just seems silly.

Best solution is to get an older HD CRT with super fine pitch or equivalent tubes. Then you get perfect 480i/480p, and under, resolution with no lag. You also get 1080i60 or 1080p30 for your newer games that will look better than just about any other display out there.

Agreed. These younger kids just have no idea that the tech they are paying thousand of dollars for doesn't equal stuff that was made 5-15 years ago.

Only the OLED or SED sets will rival a Particle Accelerator (CRT) that does 2304x1440@80hertz with no lag.

FyreWulff

Reminds me of how both of my brothers bought 4:3 SDTVs some years back. Component inputs. 480i only.

Nobody ever believes this can exist.

jbueno

Reminds me of how both of my brothers bought 4:3 SDTVs some years back. Component inputs. 480i only.

I believe you, I have a 2007 Sony Wega CRT 4:3 SDTV with Component, S-Video and Composite inputs, and being a 15 khz display it indeed only works in 480i and 240p modes, no progresive. Old games look great, though no match for a proper RGB setup on a Sony PVM or BVM monitor of course.

Oh yeah, when used with SD, component is basically S-Video with sharper colors - it's the best possible connection for SD material. Generally only high-end SDTV's offered component inputs.

Foxix Von

I don't see why not? I have an old TV in my room for all my old consoles. My Dreamcast is hooked up through s-video, and my PS2 is hooked up through component cables and the set is 480i only. Everything else is composite, but it looks fine. Heck it even does a decent job of fighting of the Genesis' rainbow banding.

BD1

Banned
Wii U does not cure cancer, end world hunger or toast bread, either.

Should threads be started about that?

Jedi2016

It's called overscan and it's the TV's fault, not the console's. Older consoles didn't compensate for overscan, they took advantage of it, to reduce the rendering resolution and improve performance.

I have to agree with the others, though. Who cares? Play SD content on SDTVs.. WiiU is a HD system, play it on a HDTV and be done with it.

there is gonna be a shitstgorm when the 720 and ps4 dont even have component inputs.
Why would they have component inputs? That doesn't make any sense.

generally no one is going to be using an old tuber on a new game console so it's mostly a non-issue.
I'm playing the Wii U on a CRT TV. There's some minor cutoff but it's not ridiculous like the OP's.
It's also an HDTV though...

Fun fact: There's enough of a delay between what happens on my TV and what happens on my gamepad that you can see it. It's just a minor difference but it's enough to annoy the hell out of me. I should grab my camera and do a 60FPS comparison video.

Why can't they do a letterbox option? They did SD for the past 6 freaking years.
Nintendo claims they did SD last gen for the benefit of consumers, now they're doing HD because it's what consumers want. That's all bullshit; Nintendo does what's convenient for Nintendo.

FyreWulff

Oh yeah, when used with SD, component is basically S-Video with sharper colors - it's the best possible connection for SD material. Generally only high-end SDTV's offered component inputs.

Yeah, you can immediately tell when someone has reconnected the 360 with the regular composite cables. The improved color and clarity in component mode is like night and day even in SD.

Alfredo

I thought the 360 and PS3 support 4:3 SDTVs. I think it's pretty upsetting that the Wii U does not have feature parity with the other HD consoles in this regard.

Didn't a bunch of people playing Minecraft on SDTVs complain about the lack of local multiplayer? I'd imagine that many Wii U owners could probably still be using SDTVs, or just happen to be in a situation in which they have to use one.

I know I've hooked up my 360 to an SDTV a couple of times because I didn't feel like bringing my TV to a game gathering. It looked like crap, text was almost impossible to read, but the entire picture was visible on screen.

Wii U needs more resolution options. 1440*900, 1366*768, 1600*900 should be some options. If they have a scaler like the 360 does it should be no problem.

Nintendo claims they did SD last gen for the benefit of consumers, now they're doing HD because it's what consumers want. That's all bullshit; Nintendo does what's convenient for Nintendo.

Pretty much. The defense for nintendo is the best part. They defended the SD last console, and now they defend lack of SD this console. Smh.

Foxix Von

Wii U needs more resolution options. 1440*900, 1366*768, 1600*900 should be some options. If they have a scaler like the 360 does it should be no problem.

One of the best features of the 360. When it sent the right resolution to my older tv my set treated it as though it was a PC signal and eliminated any overscan despite having pretty severe overscan for nearly every other input.

This is how old computers dealt with overscan:

The blue frame around everything? Games and apps couldn't put any pictures there, the most they could do was set the color. If you want the system itself to handle overscan, that's one of only two ways they could do it - the other way would be to scale the image of every game in realtime, which would lower performance (and make games look worse when it has to be done).

The better solution, the solution all game consoles from NES on up do, is for the games to be developed in such a way that either they just don't put any critical data at the edge of the screen like that, or they have in-game options for moving them or scaling the entire image.

Oppo

I kind of wish they had the balls to just have shipped the thing with only an HDTV jack, AppleTV style. No messing about, just the fact of it pre-supposes a lot of assumptions in the buyer's mind about compatibility. I mean this combined with the optical analog stuff really just tells me that this is a pure HDMI product but the other AV port is an ineffectual hedge that really just serves to annoy as much as it helps.

I mean this combined with the optical analog stuff really just tells me that this is a pure HDMI product but the other AV port is an ineffectual hedge that really just serves to annoy as much as it helps.
Optical is a digital connection and it's not included on the Wii U because 5.1 over optical requires the use of Dolby Digital and that requires licensing it. Nintendo doesn't want to pay for any sort of license (CD audio, DVD or Blu-ray video, etc). Nintendo does what's convenient for Nintendo.

Pimpbaa

Agreed. These younger kids just have no idea that the tech they are paying thousand of dollars for doesn't equal stuff that was made 5-15 years ago.

I'm 36 and I spit on the CRTs grave. Last CRT I had was a HDTV, it was so heavy it had it's own gravitational pull, horribly geometry issues, contrast going out of whack (which happened to every CRT I've had after few years) and of course terrible overscan. Good riddance.

If you have the option, you could always tweak the geometry via service menu. Life is going to be tough in a post safe-area world, you're either going to have to find a happy medium or redo your CRTs geometry every time you switch up consoles. That or you could buy a cheap LCD monitor for HD games and keep your CRT for low-res scanline goodness.

The blue frame around everything? Games and apps couldn't put any pictures there, the most they could do was set the color. If you want the system itself to handle overscan, that's one of only two ways they could do it - the other way would be to scale the image of every game in realtime, which would lower performance (and make games look worse when it has to be done).

The better solution, the solution all game consoles from NES on up do, is for the games to be developed in such a way that either they just don't put any critical data at the edge of the screen like that, or they have in-game options for moving them or scaling the entire image.

Include an OS level of overscan adjustment option?

sakipon

I realize HDTVs have became cheap and a standard but I do dislike the waste and spending mindset. I don't really get the people who are always replacing their TVs when the old one works just fine. I bought my first HDTV last year and I'm perfectly fine about using CRT for that long. Let's see how far behind I'll be on the next TV tech.

Don't use old tvs to play new systems.

Nintendo consoles barely supported new TVs until about a week ago. Nintendo certainly didn't say anything about an HDTV being a requirement.

And if it is an overscan problem (which I don't think it is), then why has Nintendo spontaneously forgotten how to design around that, since that's been an issue with consoles for forever?

DonMigs85

I realize HDTVs have became cheap and a standard but I do dislike the waste and spending mindset. I don't really get the people who are always replacing their TVs when the old one works just fine. I bought my first HDTV last year and I'm perfectly fine about using CRT for that long. Let's see how far behind I'll be on the next TV tech.

It'll be a looong time before 4K takes off and 3D is just a bonus, so I think we're set even if the display you have now is only 768p, not full 1080p.
I can only see myself replacing my current TV if it breaks out of warranty and can't be easily/cheaply repaired.

Pimpbaa

When you are playing a HD console on a SD tv, then you old tv is NOT working fine. There is a world of difference from not wanting to buy the lastest advancements in tech every year and being a complete luddite not wanting to upgrade to what has been the TV standard for many years now.

DonMigs85

Back in the 90's I knew a couple kids who played their Super NES on a black and white TV.
Parents were too cheap to buy them even a tiny color set.

Tobor

I'm going to side with Nintendo on this one.

In fact, they should take it further and disable the system entirely unless hooked up to an HDTV.

Gimping new games with an old tv just so old games look better doesn't seem like it's worth it. Having an old tv off to the side to play old games would be the ideal solution, but playing EVERYTHING through an old tv just seems silly.

I don't have the patience to quote all the responses I received (as I am typing this on my phone), but basically you all missed the point by a mile. What I keep hearing in this thread is "who still owns/games on an SDTV?". Thats what I was responding to. So look back at my first post and show me where I said anything close to what I am being accused of saying.

And please, someone explain to me how "who still games on a 4:3 SDTV" isn't an absurd question. I keep a CRT around just for the sake of games whose blocky old resolution my TV can't even interpret. So do millions of other people. Non-HD gaming, imagine that!

Eusis

Well, at least the PS4 will probably come with RCA cables only. Sony is insane like that.
Fixed because, honestly, at this point including only composite given the price of HDMI cables is absurd, especially given how these games aren't really made to be played on composite (or be legible). What Nintendo's doing is unfriendly to the LCD, but makes a lot more sense for an HD system, though I guess Nintendo's got something of an out through the streaming screen.

What's actually really frustrating to me is how Microsoft's method not only wasn't widely adopted, but was dropped by Microsoft themselves: including a special composite/component cable so you could still play even on an old crappy TV, yet get HD if you have it.

Top Bottom