• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Direct Nintendo Games 2013.1.23 - Jan. 23rd, 9 AM EST, 2 PM GMT, 11 PM JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box

Imagine a Super Smash Bros. Melee HD with online. Imagine.

I'm not ruling this out, but I'd expect SSB4 to come out first.

Especially if SSB4 is criticized for being too casual, I might expect Sakurai to feel guilty and throw us a bone. He's already acknowledged and apologized about Brawl.

Really, this is the HD port. With a solid online system, this game could go on for a very, very long time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You won't be saying that if it's a port of a game this gen - Bayonetta: Climax Edition. Believe!

My weakness.

Well, I didn't mean it like that. I kind of meant like as if it were to release in-between now and until SSB4 releases, to kill time. I'll edit my post and make it clear.

I'm just teasing.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
It's a alarmingly sad state of affairs if the most promising titles for a new system desperately in need of unique software end up being HD ports of games from two generations ago :p.

At least that would be better then 3D ports of games from three generations ago.

Tough Keeping up with all the news today. Tomorrow's going to be a busy one as well. With the ND, THQ, etc.... I'll be watching (It's great to work from home :p).

I saw the info on the Virtual Console. I hope we get new games, but since I'm going to keep my expectations low an announcement that we will eventually get a VC with GameCube and older title's would be nice. Trying to keep my expectations lowered. :)

Real Talk: If Nintendo gives us a Wii U VC tomorrow, with beautiful, correctly scaled games, and the ability to play on the Gamepad, what are the chances we'll be able to transfer Wii VC libraries to the new format? I've already transferred my Wii's VC guts to my Wii U for playing in Wii Mode (ick), but if I have to re-purchase my entire library just to be able to access them from the Wii U menu and take advantage of Wii U VC features, I'll be so cry.

Syrinx

Personally, I wouldn't get hyped for anything...but at the same time I wouldn't rule out anything either. These NDs are Nintendo's best chance to have people talking about them and their games this year. I have to figure that most of what they do at E3 will be overlooked in favor of Durango and Orbis.

Real Talk: If Nintendo gives us a Wii U VC tomorrow, with beautiful, correctly scaled games, and the ability to play on the Gamepad, what are the chances we'll be able to transfer Wii VC libraries to the new format? I've already transferred my Wii's VC guts to my Wii U for playing in Wii Mode (ick), but if I have to re-purchase my entire library just to be able to access them from the Wii U menu and take advantage of Wii U VC features, I'll be so cry.

There is almost a 100% chance you will have to repurchase them. It's really sad, but that is most likely the case.

noffles

Banned
I have one of these and it is indeed awesome! BUT if you're incredibly picky, the surface texture is somewhat different to an original pad, at least compared to a new in plastic original Super Famicom one i have. I was ever so slightly disappointed!

I haven't seen or held one of the original controllers since about 1997, so I'm not terribly picky about it. I just wants it.

They should just replace the Pro with a retooled GC controller. Replace the C-stick with a proper analog, make both sticks clickable, add a second shoulder button on the left and a traditional ABXY layout. Done.

Get rid of the traditional ABXY layout and you have my money.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
There is almost a 100% chance you will have to repurchase them. It's really sad, but that is most likely the case.

Not necessarily so. If Nintendo has these games tied to your Club Nintendo account they have a clear record that you have already purchased them. They could easily allow you to redownload the same games onto the Wii U.

It's Nintendo, so I have no faith that will happen, but it's easily possible.

Not necessarily so. If Nintendo has these games tied to your Club Nintendo account they have a clear record that you have already purchased them. They could easily allow you to redownload the same games onto the Wii U.

Oh, yeah I wasn't saying it's not possible. It just won't happen.

Jacobbles

So what are the chances that IF we get a VC service for the Wii U announced, they're going to trickle out their entire catalogue again over the course of years, instead of just giving it to us all at once?

They could at least give us 5 or so new titles a week instead of ONE. Or maybe rollout new formats (NES, SNES, N64, etc) over time?

I care a lot about the VC, okay.

jrDev

Well it is going to be first-party content (services and software).
And it supposedly has new games.
Someone from Monolith Soft tweeted about this ND.
Wii U VC has been a recent addition to NOE's site in the source code.
With that being said, Mother (Earthbound) could be announced due to what Itoi said recently regarding the Mother series.
Wow! Makes sense, hopefully some of this appears.

Box

Speaking of Club Nintendo, did they reset all of the accounts or something around 2007 or so? I had an account back from 2005 when the forums were still up, but now there's nothing.

I registered a lot of games for that account too.

Kokonoe

Banned
I expect a thread where tons of people board a hype locomotive that falls off the track and explodes due to the usual Nintendo Direct disappointment.

So what are the chances that IF we get a VC service for the Wii U announced, they're going to trickle out their entire catalogue again over the course of years, instead of just giving it to us all at once?

They could at least give us 5 or so new titles a week instead of ONE. Or maybe rollout new formats (NES, SNES, N64, etc) over time?

As much as I hate to say it, it's almost a certainty they'll trickle the games out over months and years, just as they've done in the Wii and 3DS.

They should just replace the Pro with a retooled GC controller. Replace the C-stick with a proper analog, make both sticks clickable, add a second shoulder button on the left and a traditional ABXY layout. Done.

Do you mean this? Slightly different to look more like a Gamecube controller, of course.

450px-360_controller.svg.png

Anth0ny

The re-purchasing of 40 VC games is not something I'm prepared to do. I guess I'll just have to limit myself to the ones I truly want on Wii U VC.

Basically.

I plan on repurchasing maybe 5 games tops to play on the gamepad. It's not a huge deal for me.

100% trickle

one game a week

for a while

then they'll forget about it for months at a time

What about in my case, and this is all just hypothetical of course, we're theorizing here. But say that they allowed for us to download the games that are already tied to our CN accounts. I got a Wii U at launch, wasn't satisfied with it, and sold it to a friend. I had tied my CN account to my console-- would I be able to reactivate my CN account on another Wii U? Anyone know anything about this?

Such a clusterfuck lol

Codeblue

You mean the inferior button layout?

Just give me a Wavebird, Nintendo.

big youth

If they are working on a new Donkey Kong then I think an announcement could happen. A new IP though would most likely be saved for E3 considering that is aimed at the western audience.

based on who they've hired lately it's not Donkey Kong. I think we're looking at a sci fi FPS with online play. and just my speculation, but I think it'll be very Western focused, along the lines of Halo.

evanmisha

I could see something like an upgrade fee. Sort of like when Rock Band DLC you already have gets Pro charts.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
based on who they've hired lately it's not Donkey Kong. I think we're looking at a sci fi FPS with online play. and just my speculation, but I think it'll be very Western focused, along the lines of Halo.

Huh?

The last report I saw regarding Retro's new game mentioned colorful, artistic background iirc. Doesn't seem like a FPS.

big youth

Huh?

The last report I saw regarding Retro's new game mentioned colorful, artistic background iirc. Doesn't seem like a FPS.

this doesn't really contradict what I've read. It could be a very colorful game. I know they also hired someone with experience making MMOs, so...who knows.

Donkey Kong would surprise me though, unless they are creating multiple games right now.

Tmdean

Banned
this doesn't really contradict what I've read. It could be a very colorful game. I know they also hired someone with experience making MMOs, so...who knows.

Donkey Kong would surprise me though, unless they are creating multiple games right now.

MMO, really? That's a lot different than a peer-to-peer FPS.

kunonabi

It will undoubtedly be that way just like the 3DS. Which not only means waiting a stupidly long time to pay for games a third time but also slows down releases of any VC titles for new platforms like GC. It sucks but that's just how it is. I'm just leaving my VC stuff on my Wii and using it as my Wii/Retro platform. I'm just bummed we aren't getting Castlevania Bloodlines at any point in the near future.

kamicowzi

Banned
If they tell me I can use my Wii U Pro Controller for New Super Mario Bros. U, I'll be happy enough. I figure I should aim low...either I'll be pleasantly surprised or comfortably meh.

Huh?

Yeah.

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/201...hat-do-you-think-retro-studios-is-working-on/

Retro Studios's game is probably:

- Stylized instead of "realistic" ...not like Naughty Dog's games

- Has "high quality, hand painted 2D texture maps and 3D geometry for game environments"

- A game with "bosses"

- Has ambient effects / environmental effects / weather effects / cinematic cutscenes

big youth

MMO, really? That's a lot different than a peer-to-peer FPS.

I just take it to mean, when considering their other recent hirings, that online play is a given, and might be emphasized. I certainly don't expect an MMO.

but maybe we should change the subject. I don't think anyone should be expecting a Retro game to be shown in this Nintendo Direct. E3 seems the most likely place to showcase it.

Monolith on the other hand? I'd say there's a decent chance we see their next RPG in just a few hours time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom