• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U launch attach ratio=1.2, Wii launch attach ratio=2

beril

More variety, yes. But who are the early adopters? Gamers. Gamers already have platforms to play pretty much the whole Wii lineup on. Gamers didn't have a platform to play Twilight Princess on six years ago, and the Wii U simply doesn't have a launch exclusive of that caliber.

Yes we did. It was called the gamecube and had the superior version. NSMBU is a much bigger seller anyway

happy the awful launch lineup was met with awful sales

hopefully sony and ms step their shit up next year
Relative to the Wii lineup, it's a lot better. You might not personally like the 3rd party games but you can't argue that they're not massively better than Red Steel.

Bsigg12

349.99+Tax equals 1 Wii with 2 games.

That said I bought way more Wii U titles than the Wii.

Zombie U
NSMB
Trine 2
Nano

Only picked Twilight Princess for the Wii

The Wii was profitable from the very start. The Wii U has to have one game sold with it to become profitable for Nintendo. The fact that retailers sold 2 games to every Wii at launch is astounding because it was all profit.

That being said, after playing with one for a few hours, I cancelled my pre-order/pay off because ZombiU was not enough to pull me into the system and I have not been a fan of NSMB. Do I hate fun? Maybe when it comes to Nintendo, but there just isn't enough at launch.

wsippel

Banned
Harder for anyone but Nintendo, sure.

Although I can't see many people signing on to the most user-unfriendly console DD service ever.
Except it isn't unfriendly at all, actually. You don't really notice the shortcomings early on.

NeoRausch

lies...

01menu.jpg

lol, i love how you put the disc channel in the lower corner.
"never gonna use this anyway!"

i got six games now. but i guess you cant count GAF as anything standart.

WE'RE THE .2! *revolution*

DrNeroCF

Don't expect digital number to create a significant difference

You don't think that people may have bought less retail games in the first month if there's good arcade games available? Especially with the Wii U's higher price tag.

I wonder if a good amount of sales are coming from parents stocking up for Christmas, who will mostly be getting games after they actually open it. Would be interesting to see sales figures vs connecting and updating figures.

wsippel

Banned
Yes we did. It was called the gamecube and had the superior version. NSMBU is a much bigger seller anyway
The Gamecube version came weeks later, Zelda is one of the series people want day one. Which also means it's a lot more front loaded than NSMB.

Bsigg12

I was just about to point this out. I know a few people who only purchased digitally.

Will you tell them I'm sorry? Nintendo doesn't have the greatest track record with that kinda stuff along with not being able to move your NinID to another Wii U.

Bizubani

Neo Member
Lower than I would have expected. Me, my brother and his brother in law brought a premium each.
Did my part : Black ops II, Zombi U, NSMB U and NG3:RE.

EDarkness

Will you tell them I'm sorry? Nintendo doesn't have the greatest track record with that kinda stuff along with not being able to move your NinID to another Wii U.

<shrug> I don't see the negatives as being all that bad, and unless games start getting an install option, I may be going digital myself. Playing the FIFA demo off of the HDD was nice and I'd like to do that more often even if I buy the game on disc.

Ty4on

Did the 360 had a bunch of bundle sales?

Pretty sure it just had good games and an audience that bought a lot of games. In Europe at least the PlayStations have always been big with casuals that only buy Fifa, NFS, Sing Star or Gran Turismo. Fifa was one of the first games to sell best on the PS3.

over time the percentage buying digitally will be little more than statistical noise but at launch the percentage of owners that are hardcore tech geeks and thus more likely to buy digitally is almost certainly much higher so in the US at least i expect digital sales to be pretty significant right now

the only game to buy really was NSMBU.

i was going to get ZombiU as well, but the crazy fluctuating reviews put me off on it.

ended up getting black ops 2 for $36 in the TRU buy 1 get 1 40% off wii/wiiu titles when i bought my launch system.

crazy thing is that i'm going to trade in black ops 2 to best buy so i can buy it again on 360 cuz there's not enough people online and i wanna play with friends who only have 360s

Alec

I got a Deluxe and sold my physical copy of NintendoLand so I could re-buy it on the eShop. I also got NSMBU and ZombiU. I'm incredibly happy with all three games. I'll probably pick up Sonic Racing here soon and then Rayman in Feb.

And by "pick up" I mean "download".

JoeFu

Banned
I only have 2 physical games, ZombiU and Blops2. Everything else is digital, NSMBU, Sonic Racing, and NG3RE. I think digital messes with things. Especially the deluxe with the 10 percent rebate.

Huff

Banned
over time the percentage buying digitally will be little more than statistical noise but at launch the percentage of owners that are hardcore tech geeks and thus more likely to buy digitally is almost certainly much higher so in the US at least i expect digital sales to be pretty significant right now

didn't happen with the vita, i don't imagine why that would change with the wiiu

Eusis

Even beyond Twilight Princess I think the launch games on the Wii were more INTERESTING, whether or not they are actively better. Rabbids hit before mini game collections got too tired AND showed off what the Wii Remote could do, Trauma Center was a very good conversion of the DS game, and both Red Steel and Call of Duty 3 took advantage of the pointer for a different style of FPS (and CoD3 came out remarkably well given it was handed off to a small team). The Wii U lineup might be objectively better, but that's mainly owing to having a bunch of late ports on the system at launch that if we REALLY cared about would've gotten on another platform already, and as such they likely didn't make good use of the Game Pad, though it COULD be useful for displaying a map (especially true for AC3 from what I've heard). That, and NSMB's getting pretty tired, while everyone was chomping for a semi-realistic Zelda more akin to OoT than WW, or at least it came out more distinct for it.

On a similar note: I think if they continue the NSMB line they're going to need to go back and look at how things got shaken up between 1, 3, and World and try to recapture that again, so far the series is more like SMB2j on and on if they didn't go super hardcore and spiced things up a BIT more.

Did my part

Day1:

NSMBWU
Nintendoland (Bundled)

Thanksgiving Day:

Ninja Gaiden 3 RE
Mass Effect 3: SE

Day n/a:

Tekken Tag Tourny 2
Zombi-U

VICI0US

i was going to get ZombiU as well, but the crazy fluctuating reviews put me off on it.

if you're a fan of old school RE1 type survival horror zombiu is totally worth it. if you're going in expecting left 4 dead/CoD zombies mode, yeah you'll likely be disappointed, but if you appreciate survival horror it's a really solid game. methodical, tense, atmospheric goodness.

best launch title available IMO, I initially started playing NSMB but took a small break to play ZombiU and 25~ hours of gaming later still haven't gone back to NSMB. With any luck I'll finally be completing survival mode in ZombiU tonight, which basically like hardcore mode in diablo. 1 death = game over.

Aw jeeze, you gotta disable the overscan on your friggin TV!

I don't even know what that means, even if I could find it in the menu to turn it off.
My vision is not that great as is so whatever this Overscan fuss I have been hearing about I would need to be educated on the issue... So unless it is an easy fix, shrug?

Did you buy those on eShop? If so, I really hope your Wii U don't go boom lol.

u r evil :(

NPD really is going to become less and less relevant and informative with digital distrubtion growing. 3DS, Wii-U, and Vita all have a pretty capable DD system in place. I can only imagine the next Xbox and PS console will as well.

Wish there were better tracking systems in place, NPD really is awful even at just trying to glean info about the retail market. a US equivalent of at least famitsu/media crate would be awesome.

yet reported as facts for now Nintendo is doomed Wii U has no games.

lol, i love how you put the disc channel in the lower corner.
"never gonna use this anyway!"

i got six games now. but i guess you cant count GAF as anything standart.

WE'RE THE .2! *revolution*

.2 yes my disc is moving to the second page very soon... Tekken now downloading paid $4.99 thanks to DDP points. Warriors next.

What's your NinID, gamer?

who's a gamer? I spend all my time on NEOGAF :p
NinID: nazaire

Somnid

Not immediately comparable. The Deluxe is by far the more popular SKU and comes with Nintendoland which isn't quite the same sort of throwaway Wii Sports was, you can actually sink some time into it. Day 1 DD is a difference and I'd imagine early adopters are more likely to buy digital and so it might be skewed higher than with other systems. I'd also point out that the VOD options are also a very large part of Wii U. Some people might not even own it for games. It's hard to say how people are using the system yet but box retail games are not the whole story.

Top Bottom