• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U launch attach ratio=1.2, Wii launch attach ratio=2

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Launch day insanity. We all get it but the Wii U's is especially bad

Not really. I bought NSMBU, Scriblenauts, Black Ops 2, Sonic Racing, AC3, and ZombiU. All of those are 80+ caliber games (IMO). Yeah I could have gotten half of them elsewhere, but a good game is still a good game.

Not really. I bought NSMBU, Scriblenauts, Black Ops 2, Sonic Racing, AC3, and ZombiU. All of those are 80+ caliber games (IMO). Yeah I could have gotten half of them elsewhere, but a good game is still a good game.

Could've got some of them cheaper for another console and had them perform better. Not that I wish to cast aspersions on your ability to be a conscientious consumer though.

Edit: Some, as opposed to many.

Edit 2: Is Scribblenauts Unlimited even coming out on other consoles?

If you actually had read the article then you would have seen that the analyst(s) did point out the exact item you claim they overlooked.

Yeah, actually having games to play at launch. How awful. Can't tell if you're being sarcastic so I'm going to assume not.

PGR3.

Geometry wars was digital.

What else?

Ok I'm part of the problem, the only game I've bought so far is Trine 2 from the eShop.

That and Nintendo Land are keeping me busy for now, I'll grab ZombiU once the price drops a little.

Don't the Mario games always sell significantly more than Zelda?

Nothing has attached at a higher percentage than Zelda on the Wii (88%)

Is this including NintendoLand? As customers are technically paying more to get that game...

Also, digital is usually not included in these numbers, right?

It includes NintendoLand copies that were not included in a hardware bundle. Digital not included at all.

Lower than I would have expected.

Lower than anyone expected. Also some theory of early buyers doing so to try to sell on eBay/secondary market. Of course, that hasn't worked out too well.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Could've got many of them cheaper for another console and had them perform better. Not that I wish to cast aspersions on your ability to be a conscientious consumer though.

I bought all three on WiiU because of off-TV play and no split screen local play for BO2/SRT. I'm not big on online gaming.

But I think you are missing the point. There is plenty of good launch software for WiiU, it just so happens that a lot of them are also available elsewhere.

pestul

Yeah, I guess my Nano Assault Neo doesn't count. Geez, Nintendo is going to suffer some bad software NPDs if a lot of us go digital-only.

Only picked up NSMBU here. But that's on account of money being tight more than anything else. I'd like to pick up ZombiU at some point.

Eric C

lies...

01menu.jpg

I know I didn't buy any retail game at launch on the 18th.

The cashier asked me if I wanted a game I said "No, I'm buying Mario digitally."

I know I didn't buy any retail game at launch on the 18th.

The cashier asked me if I wanted a game I said "No, I'm buying Mario digitally."

my disc purchases are my only regrets right now... enjoying the hell out of my Wii U but I have yet to put much time into the disc games I have. I think I AM that lazy lol.

With 23 or 24 titles splitting less than 250K and BLOPS being further down the list, It would be pretty hard (Taking out Mario's 'half')
Well, we do know 17 of those games are under 10k and ZombiU likely did near 50k. Blops 2 was 4th overall, it's actually not much of a stretch for it have done 24k+.

Blops 2 had the advantage of not being offered digitially, which likely helped push it up the charts a little vs other games, so the "real" numbers might bring it down the list.

NPD really is going to become less and less relevant and informative with digital distrubtion growing. 3DS, Wii-U, and Vita all have a pretty capable DD system in place. I can only imagine the next Xbox and PS console will as well.

Wish there were better tracking systems in place, NPD really is awful even at just trying to glean info about the retail market. a US equivalent of at least famitsu/media crate would be awesome.

Xbox and PS3 have a pretty damn capable DD system in place right now as well.

Alex

I went in for two, NSMBU and ZombiU

Also, I sincerely doubt digital will make up any significant numbers on this platform.

stolin

I really hope that over this next generation, starting with the Wii U, that we're gonna be able to accept that our numbers and estimation are going to be very unreliable considering direct digital purchases. Any of these post, including NPD, should be auto-appended with Retail-Only.

Personally I do hope that there's some type of numbers from digital sales from the publishers or platform holders to stop this negative trend of Bomba this or Bomba that... I know all 5 of my full Wii U launch games were digital and then 4 of the indie eShop titles. So none of my purchases were counted anywhere with these legacy reports.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I hope digital sales don't become a big excuse like they have become for a lot of Vita games.

I'm pretty sure Zombi U did 200k just on day one with digital sales. Just watch!

Joking ._.

I really hope that over this next generation, starting with the Wii U, that we're gonna be able to accept that our numbers and estimation are going to be very unreliable considering direct digital purchases. Any of these post, including NPD, should be auto-appended with Retail-Only.

Personally I do hope that there's some type of numbers from digital sales from the publishers or platform holders to stop this negative trend of Bomba this or Bomba that... I know all 5 of my full Wii U launch games were digital and then 4 of the indie eShop titles. So none of my purchases were counted anywhere with these legacy reports.

Even if we assume a 25% boost from digital ( a very high estimate) it would still not be good.

Nothing says the two situations are similar.

Nothing suggests a really high digital presence either unless you want to take gaf anecdotes.

BD1

Banned
It's not an apples to apples, so I think it's a silly comparison.

That being said, Wii launched with game that shifted the paradigm radically and altered the entire consumer electronics industry (Wii Sports) and a Zelda game people literally cried for; and Wii was not yet a "console for casuals".

Wii U launched with none of that.

Mrbob

I'm not saying digital would make a huge difference on Wii U, but NPD and any other retail only tracking service is becoming more and more worthless every month. If you don't have digital data, you don't have the whole picture.

I bought 4 games at launch , all physical , dem buy 1 get 1 half off sales :D

New super Mario bros wii u
Scribblenauts unlimited
ZombiU
Black ops 2

I tried to do my part B^)

ASIS

this news isnt that surprising. not only is the system no where near as compelling as the Wii, but its also more expensive. add that to the fact that the digital store is far more prominent this time around.

I was not compelled by much of the launch software. I do have 3 games total now, though.

ZombiU
NSMBU
Nano Assault

I've played all of them for a total of 0 minutes

And yes this does make sense with Wii U being more expensive. I doubt many people were willing to spend 420-470 on this holiday with the current lineup, so one game makes sense.

urfe

As a 28 year old, following video games (i.e. reading EGM) since about 94 when I was 12, I can only remember one launch that could be considered "good": Dreamcast's.

Others may look good in hindsight, but at the time, people were complaining like madmen. I think Gamecube's looks amazing now, but at the time people were annoyed that Luigi's Mansion wasn't a "true Mario game".

(note: I completely missed the Xbox360 launch, if that was seen as a success at the time, then perhaps I have less of a point)

Alcibiades

Don't know if there is a more recent article, but in March 2011 Wii wasn't too behind the other systems:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...les_Keeping_Up_With_Hardware.php#.UMJ6SoAs-wg

tie-ratios-march-2011.png

The idea that Wii software didn't sell because of the casual audience was overblown by some gaming websites but never really held true. The narrow lens of gaming media and forums would lead one to believe that people put their Wiis in the closet after Wii Sports or Wii Fit, but the data doesn't back that up at all.

EDIT:

The December 2011 U.S. Tie Ratio from Gamasutra artcile -

ltd-tie-ratios-dec-2011.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not immediately comparable. The Deluxe is by far the more popular SKU and comes with Nintendoland which isn't quite the same sort of throwaway Wii Sports was, you can actually sink some time into it. Day 1 DD is a difference and I'd imagine early adopters are more likely to buy digital and so it might be skewed higher than with other systems. I'd also point out that the VOD options are also a very large part of Wii U. Some people might not even own it for games. It's hard to say how people are using the system yet but box retail games are not the whole story.

Wii Sports was not a throwaway. It was a system seller.

A more relevant explanation would be the absence of something comparable to Zelda TP which accounted for 0.6-0.7 of the Wii attach rate.

kinggroin

Banned
Quick question that has nothing to do with the topic.

Any word on whether Nintendo is planning to allow debit transactions through the nfc reader on the gamepad? It'd be soooo convenient to swipe my phone on it to buy shop games.

JaxJag

Banned
I would imagine digital purchases being tied to just the console has stopped people from buying very many things from the eShop. I know it has me so far.

Top Bottom