• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Wii U" section of Wal-Mart Changed to "Nintendo"?

tengiants

I'm glad the red is coming back. Will they keep the same font? With the way companies keep updating the font of their logos, I worry that Nintendo might change their font to some sort of sans-serif typeface. *barf*

Nintendo's logo has been sans serif from the 60's onwards from what I'm seeing with google image search.

balgajo

Link render looks like TP artwork. Even more than TP actual render.
Maybe they got rid of Zelda Wii U horrible Link and made a new good looking one. :p

Zalman

Here's what my walmart looks like now
11326005_1003796403004916_1734991604_n.jpg
Different sizes than the other one we saw before, but the idea is the same.

They picked the right color and the perfect two characters. It's too good. Almost suspiciously so.

AdanVC

The NX being named the "Nintendo" would be so godlike.

That would be amazing. I just hope the word Nintendo appears somewhere on the official name of NX just like the GameCube and previous consoles.

Or you know what? Even the name NX sounds really cool and I wouldn't mind if they leave it like that. Nintendo NX. Oh my.

They're not going to name it The Nintendo.

Every time there is a new console, since before the Gamecube, people go "They should call it the Nintendo because people just call it that anyway!!"

It's neither clever nor good branding, especially with ventures outside their own hardware.

Audette

Working in retail I found that people are frequently surprised but the fact that the Wii is a Nintendo. But most of that come from people who are out of the scene or were never involved ever.

Could be related, recouping some brand recognition?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Theres+no+such+thing+are+they+bitching+or+just+putting_7395a8_5346863.jpg

This comes to mind. I would rather see the "Nintendo" logo than a console logo. They do well with having the console be a separate entity on the show floor. Maybe an electronic sign or something, but at the core of Nintendo is their name IMO. The consoles will come and go if you ask me.

This comes to mind. I would rather see the "Nintendo" logo than a console logo. They do well with having the console be a separate entity on the show floor. Maybe an electronic sign or something, but at the core of Nintendo is their name IMO. The consoles will come and go if you ask me.

I actually agree and this is one of the reasons I like the new advertising. The brand Nintendo is like Disney to me. It carries its own weight when used properly. Honestly one of the things that hurt Wii U at launch so much was the fact it had "Wii" in its name.

Seems clear Nintendo agrees and hence them rebranding completely away from that era. Total color change away from the white / blue / grey to vivid red and labeling everything as Nintendo and not Wii U and 3DS

NX is coming boys and gals

That row of Just Dance.

Employees are probably super confused why people are taking pictures of ad banners.

Maybe not. Some companies are crowd-sourcing their display checks for stores. It's cheaper to pay a pittance to some random person with a cell phone camera than someone to drive around an area to make sure it's set up to spec.

I hope Nintendo ditches eco-cases for their games for NX, especially if theyre disc-based again.

If cartridge, then I dont mind as much (3DS).

JoeM86

Maybe we can Beetlejuice Serebii in here. That's actually pretty fascinating if it's an all new render. We haven't got one since Smash, and Pokemon has kind of been the black sheep recently, especially with amiibo.

I'd go tinfoil had mode and say its for a new game, but it could just be that they wanted a new one for promo stuff. And it's definitely not the Pokken one which would ideally be the best one to use. (although that Pikachu has the Kirby angry face so)

You raaaang?

Yeah that's a new render.

I wouldn't say Pokémon is a black sheep lately.

Javier

Is the Mario render a new one as well? I'm looking at all the commonly used Mario promotional images and it doesn't seem to match with anyone.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Is the Mario render a new one as well? I'm looking at all the commonly used Mario promotional images and it doesn't seem to match with anyone.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. At this point, I wonder if there are other characters' brand new renders.

Zalman

I don't remember what game it's from, but it's definitely not new. I actually think it's pretty old.

Super-Mario-2.jpg

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't remember what game it's from, but it's definitely not new. I actually think it's pretty old.

Super-Mario-2.jpg

Uh, yeah, you're right. Strangely enough, it's not out of place compared to the others.
Also, probably an irrelevant detail, but the ads posted by Kolma have the heads of the characters "coming out" of the banner.

Wonder if we'll see some of the "b-tier" aka best tier Nintendo characters like Samus, Fox, Inklings, Pikmin, Kid Icarus, etc. on these new brandings.

I'll deal with the fact that Rusty, Waveracer and Randolph Carter won't show up.

Super old, like Super Mario 64 DS old. I have no idea why they continue to use decade old art from the late GCN early DS era for Mario merchandise and advertisements.

Rocky

Banned
Theres+no+such+thing+are+they+bitching+or+just+putting_7395a8_5346863.jpg

Wow! Did Nintendo really yell at people like that for that classified all video game stuff as a "Nintendo"? Unreal.

Super-Mario-2.jpg

I believe it's from Mario Party DS.

I hope not.
Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario Maker look hideous in red cases.
Red is simply too abrasive and would clash with 90% of the game's covers/artwork.

Guess I can't speak for everyone, but I think red game cases would look nice next to my blue PlayStation games and green Xbox games on my shelf.

Brofield

I think the only reason the red cases clash (I can't stand it myself) is only because of the blue Wii U crescent at the top. The reason Xbone gets away with green cases is because the console logo is baked right into the case and made clearly visible, same with PS4. If Nintendo changed the blue crescent to red to match the Mario cases, there wouldn't be a problem.

As is, they can make all their cases red if the NX logo has a hard presence on there that isn't needed on the coverslip, but I'm getting OT here.

I believe it's from Mario Party DS.

Older. They had been using that image since at least since the early days of the DS, as I remember it on the old Club Nintendo site, way back when it didn't even have coins.

I think it was one of the later Mario Partys on the GCN.

Either way, it's far too old of art for them to be using in modern branding. Especially when NSMBU, 3D World or Land or even Galaxy has far newer art with Mario's updated appearance.

I think the only reason the red cases clash (I can't stand it myself) is only because of the blue Wii U crescent at the top. The reason Xbone gets away with green cases is because the console logo is baked right into the case and made clearly visible, same with PS4. If Nintendo changed the blue crescent to red to match the Mario cases, there wouldn't be a problem.

Agreed. In fact, it made me curious how the three would line up and I think it works nicely.

This is super-fast and we obviously have no idea what the real branding would be, but just to give an idea...

boxes_zpsyedbvma9.jpg

Super old, like Super Mario 64 DS old. I have no idea why they continue to use decade old art from the late GCN early DS era for Mario merchandise and advertisements.

You haven't seen http://ap.nintendo.com, which occasionally uses Super Mario 64 renders:

and NoE's press download portal looks totally out of time and space, as far as featuring Rabbids and Sonic:

But, yeah, I don't understand that too. Some of old renders are pretty damn ugly due to excessively dark shadows, the lack of detail, solid color instead of textures and contrast problems. New Mario renders are way, WAY better.

Agreed. In fact, it made me curious how the three would line up and I think it works nicely.

This is super-fast and we obviously have no idea what the real branding would be, but just to give an idea...

boxes_zpsyedbvma9.jpg

On the one hand, super sweet. On the other hand, I can see bright red color feeling out of place for most box arts.
But, again, they can use golden spine for Zelda games, black spine for some occasional "mature" titles (and for mature games in Japan) etc.

Scum

They're not going to name it The Nintendo.

Every time there is a new console, since before the Gamecube, people go "They should call it the Nintendo because people just call it that anyway!!"

It's neither clever nor good branding, especially with ventures outside their own hardware.

I want Nintendo NeXus/NintendOS for the OS platform, Nintendo Go for the handheld and Nintendo Home for the console.

Joqu

Older. They had been using that image since at least since the early days of the DS, as I remember it on the old Club Nintendo site, way back when it didn't even have coins.

I think it was one of the later Mario Partys on the GCN.

Either way, it's far too old of art for them to be using in modern branding. Especially when NSMBU, 3D World or Land or even Galaxy has far newer art with Mario's updated appearance.

The new Mario renders have been really pretty. I especially love the Super Mario Maker stuff but they've all been great since Galaxy I'd say.

Shame they're still using those old ones for Mario, they look really "flat" nowadays? Way less detailed.

You haven't seen http://ap.nintendo.com, which occasionally uses Super Mario 64 renders:

and NoE's press download portal looks totally out of time and space, as far as featuring Rabbids and Sonic:

But, yeah, I don't understand that too. Some of old renders are pretty damn ugly due to excessively dark shadows, the lack of detail, solid color instead of textures and contrast problems. New Mario renders are way, WAY better.

Yeah, this. There's no reason why the New Super Mario Bros one should still be used when they've got theupdated Mario Party 10 one but I bet you they still do somewhere

Blues1990

boxes_zpsyedbvma9.jpg

I would be fine if they use a more unified colour scheme for their game boxes. As someone who lives in North America, it's incredibly annoying how the blue Wii U logo clashes with the red plastic container that they use. Especially with Mario Kart 8 & Super Mario Maker, which one had a regular blue box and the latter had a yellow logo and box in other territories.

Top Bottom