• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Wii U" section of Wal-Mart Changed to "Nintendo"?

BY2K

Membero Americo
The site I got it from says its for Mario's anniversary which wouldn't make too much sense since both Link and Pikachu are included
Better resolution pic
retailers_classic_red_nintendo_logo_banners_1.jpg

That's a brand new render. WHY!?

Thats not twilight princess link though! We must dig deeper!

About that new Link render... I think Nintendo based that on the model of Link for Mario Kart 8...

...which was based on Skyward Sword Link but has different color scheme and belt position...

...and made it look more like Smash 4 Link, adding higher amount of detail (most noticeably, hair)...

...but keeping bright color scheme to distance him more from Twilight Princess/Smash Brawl Link:

Maybe they wanted New Render Link to look more like Link from Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4, two biggest and most recent games which feature him, or maybe they just want people to forget about "gritty Link". I don't know.
I'm pretty sure, though, that this is not a Twilight Princess Link in HD.

Of course Link looks like Link. But that is a brand new renders. And renders are for certain games even the amiibo line uses the same old renders for the silouhettes and stuff.

Of course Link looks like Link. But that is a brand new renders. And renders are for certain games even the amiibo line uses the same old renders for the silouhettes and stuff.
Well, WWHD had a new render.
Also, it could mean nothing seeing as Fox got a new render that's not the Smash nor the Zero one

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, that looks like a brand new Link render heavily inspired by his Smash 4 / Mario Kart 8 representation. Especially Smash 4.

Iacobellis

Going back to the red logo (assuming they are) is quite a big deal. They had big reasons for changing it to grey in the first place, that being doubling down hard on the broad, lifestyle-y image they'd started to cultivate during the DS Lite/Wii era. Going back to the impactful and iconic red after spending 7 years flirting with the style-conscious, Apple-esque grey is a potentially significant indicator as to where they're going as a company.

Also it can't be stressed enough how effective it is having a company mascot the same colour as your logo.

Is this why Master Chief is green?

Am I insane for looking for differences between Master Sword sheath from the render and from Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors? There's something... odd in it. Looks more curved than usual.

th4tguy

The site I got it from says its for Mario's anniversary which wouldn't make too much sense since both Link and Pikachu are included
Better resolution pic
retailers_classic_red_nintendo_logo_banners_1.jpg

All in prep for nx (now simply named Nintendo) launch with the new Zelda game. Spring 2016...

Joqu

That new Link render is getting me excited for no particular reason. I know it shouldn't, it's probably their new "generic Link" render. But what if it isn't man

KingJ2002

The re-branding is definitely a decision from NoA's marketing team.. if they're downplaying the Wii and DS brands to focus more on the company name... then not only are we are starting to see the early stages of the hardware change but any other services (such as mobile offerings) they may put under their banner will be available in that section next year.

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's definitely not Zelda Wii U Link though.

And Nintendo never really bothers making new arts if it's not part of the promo art of a new gamw.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Isn't that Skyward Sword link?

AGoodODST

Link looks really nice there. A good mix of TP/SS.

Obviousy looks different from Zelda U Link though. I wonder if they are changing the style of that game.

Or it's just promo art.

Joqu

It's definitely not Zelda Wii U Link though.

And Nintendo never really bothers making new arts if it's not part of the promo art of a new gamw.

Don't they? I'm pretty sure most of the Mario renders they use aren't game specific. Or are those from Mario Party games or something?

From what I remember they've never done it with Zelda though

AdanVC

There's no way to see the new render of Link somewhere else, right? In Nintendo's website or something? Mario get new renders for advertising all the time but it's rare when Link get new renders as well so this is intriguing

Don't they? I'm pretty sure most of the Mario renders they use aren't game specific. Or are those from Mario Party games or something?

From what I remember they've never done it with Zelda though
Usually mario is from another game or promotional material but mario can literally be for anything since he is Nintendo's mascot. There is so many marios from club nintendo to hardware manuals.

Joqu

It's definitely not for Zelda U, it really just looks like Skyward Sword Link for the most part. I thought it was from the cgi trailer but the hair is too detailed, like Twlight Princess's. Definitely new.

Zalman

It's definitely not for Zelda U, it really just looks like Skyward Sword Link for the most part. I thought it was from the cgi trailer but the hair is too detailed, like Twlight Princess's. Definitely new.
It could easily be for Zelda U. The Skyward Sword artwork looked pretty different from the in-game models.

I'm straying a bit here...but as a designer this is kind of interesting. So, you guys prefer the white text on red, or the opposite; red on white?

I think the white on red works well for advertisement purposes (signage, even potentially billboards and stuff), but for actual merchandise (Amiibo, games, toys, etc) the white on red would likely get more use.

Of course the logo with the red on white could also change colors for a variety of products (The World of Nintendo figures for instance have different color boxes)

EDIT: Oh, could new Link be for Zelda U?

Zalman

I'm straying a bit here...but as a designer this is kind of interesting. So, you guys prefer the white text on red, or the opposite; red on white?

I think the white on red works well for advertisement purposes (signage, even potentially billboards and stuff), but for actual merchandise (Amiibo, games, toys, etc) the white on red would likely get more use.

Of course the logo with the red on white could also change colors for a variety of products (The World of Nintendo figures for instance have different color boxes)
White logo on red background. It stands out more.

Nightbird

white on red is definetly more flashy if you put them side by side like this

I like the current color scheme. White logo on red. I love how red everything with their new marketing is. It really "pops"

Found a new one
CPr9wXPWcAAUYn1.jpg:large

That's a new Link render, right?

That really looks like TP Link.... Is it possible? A HD remake of TP in tech demo style? Oh my god, this would be.... no I can't even...

Hah, it's Nintendo we're talking about! As if they want to please their fans. That's of course just a promo render, nothing more!

Joqu

It could easily be for Zelda U. The Skyward Sword artwork looked pretty different from the in-game models.

I guess? Maybe if they changed the design drastically? I don't see why you'd assume so though. The Zelda U Link they've shown off didn't look that similar to Skyward Sword's. This one does.

Or they can use red logo on white backgrounds...

and keep using white logo on bright or dark backgrounds:

Zalman

I guess? Maybe if they changed the design drastically? I don't see why you'd assume so though. The Zelda U Link they've shown off didn't look that similar the Skyward Sword's. This one does.
I honestly think it's just generic promo art like the old Fox render turned out to be, but I wouldn't rule out anything. It's definitely new though.

Top Bottom