• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Wii U" section of Wal-Mart Changed to "Nintendo"?

WillyFive

The Wii didn't only last on the market for about two years.

This stopgap pattern is something that Nintendo has done for every handheld except the GBA, which was replaced prematurely due to competition from the PSP.

And the GBC was replaced by the GBA due to competition from the Wonderswan. Time is not a good reason, I think, for judging a game system as being a successor or a 'stopgap'.

Pokemaniac

And the GBC was replaced by the GBA due to competition from the Wonderswan. Time is not a good reason, I think, for judging a game system as being a successor or a 'stopgap'.

I call the GBC a stopgap system not for any single reason, but for a lot of little reasons that all add up. The GBC is a system that only lasted a couple years on the market, had hardware basically identical to it's predecessor aside from a specific bump, had a basically identical form factor to it's predecessor, and generally used exactly the same peripherals as it's predecesssor. It didn't even add any new controls, as is typical for a new generation of a Nintendo handheld. There's also the fact that a not insignificant portion of Game Boy Color games were backwards compatible with older Game Boys. That is highly atypical for a new platform of that time.

Even the Wii, the Nintendo system most similar to it's predecessor, still had much more differentiation than that. Even if the main chips were largely the same, The Wii introduced the "Starlet" CPU core, which has no analog in the GameCube and significantly changed the way a bunch of things worked. It looks very different from a GameCube, and the GameCube slots are clearly there largely for backwards compatibility.

The GBC really has far more in common with the DSi and New 3DS than with the Wii.

I think this conversation may deserve it's own thread. Give me a few minutes, and I'll make one.
EDIT: New Thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1117295

WiiU0706

Ok so i live in small town and decided to see if my Walmart got with the program and updated their Nintendo banners

YX3tC1X.jpg

Since i had some business to do in the next town over it looks like they are pretty behind with the times lol and also very lazy

6B2j4pY.jpg

Calamari41

41 > 38
Wow, I actually thought companies would like that their names become synonymous with a product like that. Does the Coca Cola company feel that way too? Because practically everyone asks for a Coke instead of a cola even if its not Coca Cola.

The problem with this is that if a court decides that "Coke," for example, is synonymous with soda, any company can put the word "Coke" on their cans.

They actually send agents out to sue restaurants that give you a Pepsi when you ask for a Coke for this reason. It's why most places will say "is Pepsi OK?"

sinxtanx

I gotta wonder if they fuck up their other displays like that too

like stocking toasters under "The New iPad" or something

EDIT: just noticed the "AS ADVERTISED" sign in the background :lol
WiiU0706 this walmart may be a comedy goldmine. Go back ASAP and mine that imgur karma

WiiU0706

EDIT: just noticed the "AS ADVERTISED" sign in the background :lol
WiiU0706 this walmart may be a comedy goldmine. Go back ASAP and mine that imgur karma

is there a way to downscale the images lol

Gsnap

It's actually kind of amazing to go into a wal-mart's electronics section in 2015 to see just how much the average person still doesn't know anything about video games. It's like the entire place is run by my parents circa 1996.

Since i had some business to do in the next town over it looks like they are pretty behind with the times lol and also very lazy

6B2j4pY.jpg
You should have asked the clerk if you could get a Gameboy Advance on layaway.

Now that I think about it, you should have asked the clerk if they've ever even heard of a GBA.

sonto340

Every one I've been to has been a mess, they just have the games wherever on the shelves. I mean I don't really care I was just surprised to see it.
I think there's like. Two or three XB1/PS4 games in the last gen case. But they have them labeled properly.
Weird I'll have to keep an eye out at other ealmarts apparently there's all levels of weird shit like a GBA display posted above holy shit

WiiU0706

so it wasn't weird of me to be pondering asking them can i have the Nintendo DS/GBA banner if they were to get rid of it lol

Thoraxes

Kinda a side note, but I noticed the electronics section of my local Target was gutted today. Looks like they cleared out the old Disney Infinity stuff, relocated the Amiibo section, and cleared the old PC clearance section too.

Same with each PS XB and Nintendo rows. It's ll gutted, probably for new holiday signage.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, bringing this up because of the recent Zelda: Triforce Heroes' commercial
Quoting myself from the other thread

Good commercial, that hides something important.
Remember the recent thread about Nintendo re-focusing marketing on-the-shelves, by using just "Nintendo" and distancing themselves from 3DS and Wii U?
Well, just look at the beginning of the commercial, it's the white Nintendo logo with Link's face behind, not 3DS's one.

So, it looks like it's not just on-shelves marketing.

HUELEN10

Nintendo would be a great name for a console, there has never been a console named Nintendo and just Nintendo before.

Top Bottom