• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Wii U" section of Wal-Mart Changed to "Nintendo"?

Microsoft Direct X -> Microsoft Xbox -> Microsoft Xbox Direct -> Nintendo Xbox Direct incoming

Mario3DWorldXboxOne_111913-Thumb.jpg

I'm straying a bit here...but as a designer this is kind of interesting. So, you guys prefer the white text on red, or the opposite; red on white?

I think the white on red works well for advertisement purposes (signage, even potentially billboards and stuff), but for actual merchandise (Amiibo, games, toys, etc) the white on red would likely get more use.

Of course the logo with the red on white could also change colors for a variety of products (The World of Nintendo figures for instance have different color boxes)

EDIT: Oh, could new Link be for Zelda U?
They could easily do one variant for console and the other for handheld

The Master Sword looks really like the one from Skyward Sword but the overall character design of him doesn't. Somehow he looks more asian than before. It must be his eyes in that render.
What if they changed his design after last years E3 to stop the confusion if Link is a girl in the game or not?

Like I said before, he really looks great. Maybe we see the full picture in the near future.

-Horizon-

Next console to simply be called the Nintendo?

Brilliant plan to take advantage of the 20 million grandparents who call everything a Nitendo
They honestly should go that route. Simplify everything. Once the next next home console after NX arrives, just call it the Nintendo 2. Nintendo 3 after etc. Make sure people understand when its a new iteration.

I'm straying a bit here...but as a designer this is kind of interesting. So, you guys prefer the white text on red, or the opposite; red on white?

I think the white on red works well for advertisement purposes (signage, even potentially billboards and stuff), but for actual merchandise (Amiibo, games, toys, etc) the white on red would likely get more use.

Of course the logo with the red on white could also change colors for a variety of products (The World of Nintendo figures for instance have different color boxes)

EDIT: Oh, could new Link be for Zelda U?

I think I prefer the one on the right.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oh. We are both concerned about the same thing then. I thought scabbard = guard, and English being my second language definitely didn't help me.

Nah, scabbard is also known as the sheath. The gold part of Link's sword in that image is likely the rain guard also known as the chappe. The arms that extend outward to protect your hands in combat is the cross-guard.

The anatomy of a sword is:

pommel > grip > cross-guard > rain guard (chappe) > strong (forte) > fuller > edge > central ridge > point

Pommel to cross guard is called the hilt.

EDIT: wait, I'm still tired, that's the locket part of the scabbard.

Likely a new Twilight Princess render

Master_Sword_Scabbard.png

Zalman

I'm actually for this. Maybe add something before or after it but keep it simple like Super Nintendo or Nintendo 64.
Yeah, "Nintendo" alone probably isn't enough. They need to make sure people understand it's a new thing. I hope they do bring the Nintendo name back though.

The Master Sword looks really like the one from Skyward Sword but the overall character design of him doesn't. Somehow he looks more asian than before. It must be his eyes in that render.
What if they changed his design after last years E3 to stop the confusion if Link is a girl in the game or not?

Like I said before, he really looks great. Maybe we see the full picture in the near future.
Which would bad I really love the new design

Haines

Banned
I like it. Hopefully the future is a more simple one branding wise. Would be a wise direction to take. Done wonders for Sony.

That's certainly Twilight Princess Link, pretty big that he has a whole new render from the ground up, wonder what this leads too (probably just for advertising but lets keep an open mind).

L Thammy

The cross-guard looks like it's nearly parallel to the blade to me, it's usually supposed to look like spread wings. Actually, it kind of reminds me of the next-to-final form of the Master Sword in Skyward Sword. Where it's de-energized or something.

No idea which Link it is. I can't tell Links apart.

The anatomy of a sword is:

pommel > grip > cross-guard > rain guard (chappe) > strong (forte) > fuller > edge > central ridge > point

Man, I have to look this up now, I didn't know any of the words between the cross-guard and the edge. Are you a blacksmith or something?

Silkworm

Same here. I was a sad guy when they announced the grey was official.

I'm glad the red is coming back. Will they keep the same font? With the way companies keep updating the font of their logos, I worry that Nintendo might change their font to some sort of sans-serif typeface. *barf*

Nanashrew

Banned
The cross-guard looks like it's nearly parallel to the blade to me, it's usually supposed to look like spread wings. Actually, it kind of reminds me of the next-to-final form of the Master Sword in Skyward Sword. Where it's de-energized or something.

No idea which Link it is. I can't tell Links apart.

Man, I have to look this up now, I didn't know any of the words between the cross-guard and the edge. Are you a blacksmith or something?

Nah, just really into swords and think they're really, really cool. I don't even own one though. but I'd like to.

I'm glad the red is coming back. Will they keep the same font? With the way companies keep updating the font of their logos, I worry that Nintendo might change their font to some sort of sans-serif typeface. *barf*

They could always change the oval to a diamond shape instead like during the late 60's
latest

They had lots of neat logos http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo

Gsnap

White text on a red background is great for big things. Signs, banners, etc. Red text on white background would be great for smaller products. Amiibos, etc.

Nanashrew

Banned
Yup. Even my friends at my local GameStop told me their just waiting on the new banners from Nintendo and they too are making the switch.

Nintendo are clearly the ones spearheading this marketing change. Going back to the Red logo probably means a more "red theme" for their next hardware. Beyond that, this could mark a naming convention shift as well. NX itself could have arguably marked that in code speak (Nintendo X), but reality is I think they are going back to the Nintendo branding. No more Wii, or other names like that - we'll go back to owning Nintendo's.

Honestly, it's a pretty smart move. Nintendo as a company is still really well known. Making that company a true "brand" again is going to do well for them. It works in so many other markets too (do you own the new Nikes?). Etc.

Good on them.

Re-reading through the thread and saw this post. This is likely the case and it means they could have a new vision which will affect their naming conventions to marketing and business. The grey/silver Nintendo logo under Iwata had meaning in its design in that it was a shift for the company. The change in logo happened in 2006 the year the Wii was released and their primary focus was to go blue ocean and a minimalist design approach to appeal to a group that was ignored by everyone, even their competitors. Grey was perfectly neutral and minimal to match their business and advertisement strategy.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That shit is backwards. Whoever the rep is that set that up will be getting an email to put Pikachu on the left and Mario on the right. Being 100% serious.

The Gamestop pic on the previous page is exactly the same.

L95

Saw the new signs today, my Walmart has a fairly small Nintendo section, so I only saw the New Mario render thingy. (and the red logo)

"....I wonder who was in my room last night
Who the "BEEP* was in my BED?!

BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
"

I remember around summer of 1995 seeing this commercial on MTV/TNT late at night thinking wow Nintendo really has finally come back and won this generation (SNES/Genesis), the games were just better and they had a commercial and slogan that was working just enough........then a few years later they started putting adults in big Mario suits that looked like Nintendo's version of Sesame Street and it was a downward spiral to terrible commercials until "Wii would like to play" lol.

Nanashrew

Banned
I remember around summer of 1995 seeing this commercial on MTV/TNT late at night thinking wow Nintendo really has finally come back and won this generation (SNES/Genesis), the games were just better and they had a commercial and slogan that was working just enough........then a few years later they started putting adults in big Mario suits that looked like Nintendo's version of Sesame Street and it was a downward spiral to terrible commercials until "Wii would like to play" lol.

Those have worked a few time though! The original Smash Bros. commercial is still great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K783SDTBKmg

starmud

This is the new retail layout at large. We've been rolling out this reset at target for a few weeks now. All 3DS/wiiu signing is being changed to "Nintendo" with similar character images. Red and white. We're also cutting our shelf space of wiiu/3ds in half to one aisle. No handheld/console separation.

NFC toys and rockband will now occupy the previous wii/wiiu wall.

Amiibo is considered an independent initiative in our reset, separate of Nintendo consoles. Only reason I find the change interesting, at launch Amiibo was to be displayed as a wiiu add on.

KingBroly

Banned
This is the new retail layout at large. We've been rolling out this reset at target for a few weeks now. All 3DS/wiiu signing is being changed to "Nintendo" with similar character images. Red and white. We're also cutting our shelf space of wiiu/3ds in half to one aisle. No handheld/console separation.

NFC toys and rockband will now occupy the previous wii/wiiu wall.

Amiibo is considered an independent initiative in our reset, separate of Nintendo consoles. Only reason I find the change interesting, at launch Amiibo was to be displayed as a wiiu add on.

well...amiibo outsold Wii U already, so it'd make sense to give it more of a spotlight. Plus, everyone seemingly calls toys-to-life stuff amiibo now.

Here I walked into a GameStop and took a picture for you guys since no one wanted to. This is what Nintendos new branding looks like

Wk6b.jpg
this looks so much better, that classic red nintendo

never liked the wii u's blue branding

That shit is backwards. Whoever the rep is that set that up will be getting an email to put Pikachu on the left and Mario on the right. Being 100% serious.
wth

lets ignore the fact that pikachu over 3ds which is the home of pokemon games, but to pick this apart is stupid, it makes absolutely no difference whether they're on the left or right

Vena

this looks so much better, that classic red nintendo

never liked the wii u's blue branding

WiiU's blue is too light and passive, red or a darker shade of blue would be needed. As it stands, though, blue would be a bad color to continue for a number of reasons.

I would have actually preferred they make one big Nintendo logo in the middle with the surrounding characters, but I guess they wanted to be extra clear where the section began and ended.

edit: Well, in some pics it does appear scattered in between, so I guess it's fine the way it is......

Top Bottom