• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U System Update Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogogow

So did you guys turn on the background download function? It asked me when the console restarted after installing the patch. I turned it off, because some people said it bricked their Wii or something. Seems like a nice feature though.

So did you guys turn on the background download function? It asked me when the console restarted after installing the patch. I turned it off, because some people said it bricked their Wii or something. Seems like a nice feature though.

I turned it off as well. Just don't like the idea of keeping the console *awake* to some degree. Hearing people say they heard the fans running lightly while the console was "off" was all the confirmation I needed.

Somnid

One of the worst gaming myths in the existence. Also Wii U's doesn't work quite the same way anyway. As far as I can tell it can finish doing something but doesn't stay actively polling.

Yagharek

Took me about half an hour to download, plus another 20 to install. It failed to update the gamepad first time, rebooted itself, tried again and succeeded.

System load times now feel pretty spiffy indeed.

Downloaded it last night. Took about an hour for download and install. Went through the system settings to play with that TV screen size option. Took a little while to load when entering and exiting the system settings. Went to Miiverse next. Entering was slow as well as moving through communities at some points. Never happened before so it surprised me. Exiting Miiverse is when I saw the speed. Almost instantaneous getting to the Wii U menu. Shut if off after that. Gonna play around with it more today.

StayDead

Downloaded the update in 15 minutes this morning before I went out. Got back, turned console on and it's auto installing. Coming up to 3-4 minutes and at 70% so not bad.

andthebeatgoeson

Downloaded the update in 15 minutes this morning before I went out. Got back, turned console on and it's auto installing. Coming up to 3-4 minutes and at 70% so not bad.

What does it do when it auto installs? In the background and you can do other things? Or does it autoinstall and take up the whole screen?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Does the update affect in game loading times, e. g. in Lego City ?

Everything went fine, but I did lock up at one point last night. Can't remember what I was doing (I think navagating to Miiverse). Other than that one lock, all good.

big_erk

One of the worst gaming myths in the existence. Also Wii U's doesn't work quite the same way anyway. As far as I can tell it can finish doing something but doesn't stay actively polling.

I turned it on and let the Rayman Legends Challenges download. After starting the download I was able to turn the console off and it completed the download in this state. The power light turns amber while doing a download and turns the console completely off when finished.

optimiss

Everything went fine, but I did lock up at one point last night. Can't remember what I was doing (I think navagating to Miiverse). Other than that one lock, all good.

I thought mine had locked up at one point. I let it go and after about a minute and a half Waru Waru Plaza finally loaded. Very weird.

Murrah

Banned
Started the download before I went to work last night. So jacked that the disc doesn't spin while using Netflix anymore, I can actually use it at night without it sounding like an engine's running in my room

Shift, corner cutting is fixed too? This is awesome

beje

Banned
About the 60Hz stuff in Europe, these are all games that were never translated into other European languages so they're fine using the NTSC versions. We'll see what happens when stuff like Super Metroid kicks in... anyway, I think Super Metroid was perfectly optimized so it wouldn't be really bad but still... Mega Drive and Master System games in the Wii VC were a nightmare of slow speed and top-bottom black bars, so I didn't buy any of them.

I turned it off as well. Just don't like the idea of keeping the console *awake* to some degree. Hearing people say they heard the fans running lightly while the console was "off" was all the confirmation I needed.

Unlike the Wii, the Wii U will not have it's wi-fi adapter near constantly connecting to the internet. It only goes into that standby mode if you have something downloading, and switches 'off' to normal standby when it's finished. Totally different situation.

cacildo

I turned it on and let the Rayman Legends Challenges download. After starting the download I was able to turn the console off and it completed the download in this state. The power light turns amber while doing a download and turns the console completely off when finished.

But lets say you turn off the system
The system keeps downloading stuff. You go to sleep
Suddenly, the power goes out in your house, while you sleep and the wiiu is downloading stuff
Is there risk of bricking the system?

JimboJones

But lets say you turn off the system
The system keeps downloading stuff. You go to sleep
Suddenly, the power goes out in your house, while you sleep and the wiiu is downloading stuff
Is there risk of bricking the system?

If it's simply downloading then absolutely no chance of a brick. Not sure about if it's installing but I think at worse you will just have to restart the download.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom