• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U's Miiverse - A Guide for Dummies

AzaK

Keeping Friend Codes is only hurting Nintendo's online ambitions. They keep emphasizing that the Miiverse eliminates the need to exchange the codes with strangers but the reality is that a lot of the people you want to add to your friends list are not strangers. With a handheld like the 3DS you might at least have it on you. Nobody wants to walk around with their Wii U FC.

Even if they are strangers like on here for instance, I still would prefer to have a name to enter and not a code.

However, if Nintendo does an advanced version of Mario Kart communities then that could be almost perfect. Someone on NeoGAF creates a GAF community, we all join of our own accord, and can then add each other from there.

Amir0x

Banned
Dont agree completely, theyre getting destroyed by android and apple because they stayed still and did nothing to advance their mobile os now theyre screwed...

That has nothing to do with the other; those are other companies that also would have their finger on the pulse of such things. Just because Microsoft is relatively slower to the bat in terms of their mobile OS versus Apple or Android does not at all represent just how much relatively slower Nintendo must therefore be by comparison to Microsoft. We have endless data to show just how behind the curve Nintendo is. And how, compared to Microsoft, Nintendo might as well be from 1000 years ago.

AntMurda

It looks like Accomplishments are officially being used through first-party Nintendo games and possibly also third party games.

1 Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, and Wii Fit have official "accomplishments"
featured in the game.
2. That third party car racing game that branded accomplishments in the game as well.

It seems that it won't be an official requirement, but an optional feature that will probably built into Miiverse alongside leaderboards. We shall find out soon. But it is promising that Nintendo is almost making it official amongst its first party products, and third parties are likely to port their achievements / trophies into accomplishments.

I'm sure more research can be done on this.

Pharros

It looks like Accomplishments are officially being used through first-party Nintendo games and possibly also third party games.

1 Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, and Wii Fit have official "accomplishments"
featured in the game.
2. That third party car racing game that branded accomplishments in the game as well.

It seems that it won't be an official requirement, but an optional feature that will probably built into Miiverse alongside leaderboards. We shall find out soon. But it is promising that Nintendo is almost making it official amongst its first party products, and third parties are likely to port their achievements / trophies into accomplishments.

I'm sure more research can be done on this.

Where did you find this? This is huge news for me if true.

Where did you find this? This is huge news for me if true.

It's been hinted mentioned many times for New Super Mario Bros. U with the original screen of the World Map.

8SoCs.jpg

Note the yellow banner.

As for Nintendo Land, the following comes from IGN:

IGN said:
I want to tell you about Miiverse, and how it apparently will tie to Nintendo Land with some form of online leaderboards, though Nintendo has yet to truly dive into those details. (That's literally all I know.) There is the game's wide range of in-game achievements (called 'accomplishments') as well, which appear in a variety of ways, such as criteria-specific stamps, high score trophies in the single player games, or 'Master Rank' stars, which signify that you've mastered a particular attraction's challenge.

Project Cars may also features some form of Accomplishments.

ifcyz.jpg

Of course, the important question of how these Accomplishments are integrated into Miiverse (if at all) remains.

AntMurda

New Super Mario Bros. U "accomplishments" was leaked on some box art descriptor or something as well.

-Edit. It was on Nintendo of America's press site. I think they removed that part when a website caught hold. I just googled it.

Pharros

It's been hinted mentioned many times for New Super Mario Bros. U with the original screen of the World Map.

8SoCs.jpg

Note the yellow banner.

As for Nintendo Land, the following comes from IGN:

Project Cars may also features some form of Accomplishments.

ifcyz.jpg

Of course, the important question of how these Accomplishments are integrated into Miiverse (if at all) remains.

Ahh yes I am familiar with the NSMB:U yellow "accomplishment" I just wasn't sure if anything was confirmed to be integrated with Miiverse and such. Everything is lining up to look that way so my fingers are crossed. IGN news is also new to me, exciting.

Edit: I also had no idea about the NOA website leaking that information, interesting as well *

AntMurda

From Nintendo of America's press site

Families and friends can experience Mario together like never before with Miiverse. See other players' comments and accomplishments while you play, and leave your own feedback for others to see when connected to the Nintendo Network

Hmmm.

Pharros

It will be on an OS level I imagine but don't expect it to be mandated....which I think is a good thing BTW.

Yeah I expect it to be more like Steam in the way it is mandated. However, most third parties will likely port the gamerscore/trophies anyway which would be nice.

netBuff

You know that with that kind of response people will just read the first part and miss/ignore the more important latter part. Considering how old that statement already is exactly that already happened. =P

If they want us to not be worried about the continued existence of friend codes (which were always a terrible idea implemented in the worst possible way) Nintendo should just come out and finally fucking tell us about the consoles online functionality. This thing is supposedly being released in three weeks and we still know barely a thing about the software running the device.

It's hard to get excited about internet functionality (which could be very cool, an OS-level screenshot function alone would be a huge boon for posting in online-communities like NeoGAF) when we know basically nothing about it.

And let's hope Nintendo isn't still measuring available space in their very own fantasy unit "blocks".

It will be on an OS level I imagine but don't expect it to be mandated....which I think is a good thing BTW.

Rich @ IGN's response to this:

"in game to the best of my knowledge. Miiverse is more online leader boards."

Edit: Also...

"I have some equally interesting things to say about New Super Mario Bros. U, by the way. So stay tuned for that. =)"

Pharros

Rich @ IGN's response to this:

"in game to the best of my knowledge. Miiverse is more online leader boards."

Edit: Also...

"I have some equally interesting things to say about New Super Mario Bros. U, by the way. So stay tuned for that. =)"

Hahaha that was me who tweeted him regarding the first quote. I'm not sure if they would really know though due to no one actually having full OS/Miiverse access. The "Accomplishment" title being used across games seems to be leaning towards OS access more so than just in-game though. Once again we are left in the dark until Nintendo finally does the next Nintendo Direct.

steveovig

As long as I can look at my Accomplishments and my friend's too, outside of the game itself, I'll be happy. I'm not really a competitive achievements guy but I still like to look at people's progress.

Amir0x

Banned
As long as I can turn off anyone else viewing my accomplishments like I do on 360 i won't care. I don't like the dick measuring it elicits online on the other platforms.

AndTAR

And let's hope Nintendo isn't still measuring available space in their very own fantasy unit "blocks".

Fully agree with you, but I fear the 3DS' use of blocks points Wii U in the same direction.

They could of course make an introduction of proper data size units correlate with their revamp of eshop digital distribution, and then later update the 3DS to also reflect this. (As it's going to get updated in the future anyway, to support Miiverse.)

AzaK

Fully agree with you, but I fear the 3DS' use of blocks points Wii U in the same direction.

They could of course make an introduction of proper data size units correlate with their revamp of eshop digital distribution, and then later update the 3DS to also reflect this. (As it's going to get updated in the future anyway, to support Miiverse.)

They won't use blocks. Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U is 16 Gigs. I don't think there is enough space on the screen to display the number in blocks :)

imjust1n

Banned
I just wanted to point this out. I didn't really like the idea of name wii u well still don't but it's kinda clever. So it's a updated wii so the letter U looks like 2 soo wii 2 and the icon looks like a half game pad and the whole wii now U thing pretty clever.

jonno394

I just wanted to point this out. I didn't really like the idea of name wii u well still don't but it's kinda clever. So it's a updated wii so the letter U looks like 2 soo wii 2 and the icon looks like a half game pad and the whole wii now U thing pretty clever.

U looks like 2....? Since when?

imjust1n

Banned
Really are they seriously keeping friend codes. Cmon I just want a unique Nintendo network name. No one wants a friend code. Way too long people get lazy. This might reallllly hurt Nintendo if it's just like the wii.

Terrell

Really are they seriously keeping friend codes. Cmon I just want a unique Nintendo network name. No one wants a friend code. Way too long people get lazy. This might reallllly hurt Nintendo if it's just like the wii.

It's almost like people pick up on those 2 words and everything after that is just drowned out.

AzaK

It's almost like people pick up on those 2 words and everything after that is just drowned out.
Yeah. It's not like MS and Sony don't actually have codes in the back of their systems (UUID's, or whatever) but it doesn't hinder them.

netBuff

Yeah. It's not like MS and Sony don't actually have codes in the back of their systems (UUID's, or whatever) but it doesn't hinder them.

A hidden primary key in a database is different from "Friend Codes", which are faced to the user and they have to deal with.

Nintendo hasn't exactly instilled confidence with their failed past attempts at online functionality (who the hell builds an online store for digital goods that doesn't bind your purchases to an account?). Scepticism is warranted, we are only a few weeks from launch of the Wii U.

If Nintendo wants to scatter the growing skepticism, they'll have to show us their Miiverse sooner rather than later.

"We're keeping friend codes, but sometimes you won't have to enter them!"

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Keeping Friend Codes is only hurting Nintendo's online ambitions. They keep emphasizing that the Miiverse eliminates the need to exchange the codes with strangers but the reality is that a lot of the people you want to add to your friends list are not strangers. With a handheld like the 3DS you might at least have it on you. Nobody wants to walk around with their Wii U FC.

it feels a bit backwards. Using the Miiverse, and assuming it gets partly populated by people you play against (who you can then add as friends), then its *easier* to add complete strangers you just get matched against, than to add people you know via established communities like GAF or even just your friends.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
If the 3DS and WiiU accounts can be synced via the Nintendo Network they should allow you to generate a friendcode QR code that you can just scan to add. It's not better than a name, but it would be quicker than entering numbers.

XenodudeX

wait i'm confused

so they're KEEPING friend codes?

"We’re not completely getting rid of Friend Codes, but a function of the “Miiverse” will simplify the process of making friends with another user in the platform by eliminating the need to input Friend Codes."

Sounds like they're keeping them in some form.

Amir0x

Banned
oh jesus christ.

*long deep, torturous sigh*

edit: wait, that still doesn't make sense

they will have friend codes but you don't need to enter them? so what do we enter to make friends?

edit 2: I think I parsed it out... the standard practice of adding friends still requires friend codes, but if you use this Miiverse shit you can add strangers without friend codes? is that right?

This sounds like the most convoluted, backward facing solution of all time. Truly bizarre. Only 3 weeks left to find out.

I imagine they'd be an extra (OPTIONAL) layer of protection for those friend codes were intended to protect in the first place, i.e. small children.

AndTAR

I imagine Iwata is simply talking about adding people you can already see; i.e. their Mii on the "Wara Wara" screen, posters on the public message boards, a "recently met"-list, and such. Click-to-add, like on most other services.

For friending "strangers", I'm still betting on a nickname + short code (2-3 digits) format. Works for Battle.net, and seems to be in line with these statements. (Keeping codes, but in a simplified form.)

XenodudeX

I imagine they'd be an extra (OPTIONAL) layer of protection for those friend codes were intended to protect in the first place, i.e. small children.

I hope so. This wouldn't be a problem for a lot of people if they'd simply make this friend code shit optional. Let people choose! Stop forcing people to use this when they clearly KNOW their customers don't like it..

even Kinect suggests my point is true. The number of truly original games on Kinect continue to dwindle, and even the number of Kinect modified games continue to dwindle.

And the only reason Kinect even did half as well as it did was because Microsoft spent $500,000,000 advertising the garbage. I highly doubt SmartGlass is going to get that.

my lights have been off so just getting back but here is SMARTGLASS getting some press

SmartGlass Delivers Wii U Like Experience To Forza Horizon

that battle begins

sinxtanx

oh jesus christ.

*long deep, torturous sigh*

edit: wait, that still doesn't make sense

they will have friend codes but you don't need to enter them? so what do we enter to make friends?

edit 2: I think I parsed it out... the standard practice of adding friends still requires friend codes, but if you use this Miiverse shit you can add strangers without friend codes? is that right?

This sounds like the most convoluted, backward facing solution of all time. Truly bizarre. Only 3 weeks left to find out.

Actually, it makes perfect sense. Friend codes are kept in the background, players never see them. This allows players to choose their screen names without worrying about them being taken already. Friend requests will naturally be accompanied by that player's Mii, so you can easier recognize who it is.

Pharros

Challenge Mode: Challenge Mode tasks players with completing specific objectives, such as clearing a course without touching a single coin or touching the ground. There are four single-player Challenge categories: Time Attack, Coin Collection, 1-Up Rally and Special (miscellaneous challenges). Boost Mode Challenges require two players, with one player using the Wii U GamePad controller and the other using a Wii Remote controller. Once players complete a Challenge, the game saves a replay of the action so players can show off their accomplishments.

Accomplishments once again mentioned, but again it is quite vague in regards to just how they link to Miiverse/OS. Accomplishments is also not capitalized which could indicate it's not an overall name given, but again, no one really knows at this point. Just thought I'd point it out for those interested.

AzaK

it feels a bit backwards. Using the Miiverse, and assuming it gets partly populated by people you play against (who you can then add as friends), then its *easier* to add complete strangers you just get matched against, than to add people you know via established communities like GAF or even just your friends.
Precisely why I wonder if the will do communities to more easily find people.

Amir0x

Banned
Actually, it makes perfect sense. Friend codes are kept in the background, players never see them. This allows players to choose their screen names without worrying about them being taken already. Friend requests will naturally be accompanied by that player's Mii, so you can easier recognize who it is.

again I have to say your explanation doesn't make sense either.

When we add friends, what are we adding? If I went on neoGAF on launch day and tried to find fellow GAFers I want to add, will we be listing our usernames or some friend code? What part does Miiverse have to play in that at all, actually?

Similarly, how would I recognize that a person using a certain name is a person I want to add by their Mii? Mii's hardly look like the individual they're representing anyway, but many of the friend requests will be from people I've never even seen before. I certainly wouldn't know what type of Mii they made.

again I have to say your explanation doesn't make sense either.

When we add friends, what are we adding? If I went on neoGAF on launch day and tried to find fellow GAFers I want to add, will we be listing our usernames or some friend code? What part does Miiverse have to play in that at all, actually?

Similarly, how would I recognize that a person using a certain name is a person I want to add by their Mii? Mii's hardly look like the individual they're representing anyway, but many of the friend requests will be from people I've never even seen before. I certainly wouldn't know what type of Mii they made.

I don't get the hate for the shortened friends codes tbh, i would much rather add someone by typing in a six - eight digit numeric code than having to type in 'XxxN00bPWNER2012xxX'.

I imagine the main difference from the Wii will be that it will be a Universal code for every game on WiiU and you won't have to keep adding people per game.

I think it will be very similar to the 360 / PS3 in that once you have added someone they will appear on a list and you can check out their profile, what they have been playing and like Twitter you will see their activities and 'Accomplishments' on some sort of 'timeline' type page.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't get the hate for the shortened friends codes tbh, i would much rather add someone by typing in a six - eight digit numeric code than having to type in 'XxxN00bPWNER2012xxX'.

I imagine the main difference from the Wii will be that it will be a Universal code for every game on WiiU and you won't have to keep adding people per game.

I think it will be very similar to the 360 / PS3 in that once you have added someone they will appear on a list and you can check out their profile, what they have been playing and like Twitter you will see their activities and 'Accomplishments' on some sort of 'timeline' type page.

Now the friend codes are shortened? Short or not, though, it's counter intuitive nonsense. I can remember a name; I can't remember a numerical code even half as easy. Nintendo simply needs to join the modern era and toss off the veil of obtuse protectionism because it keeps holding back their online services over and over.

But as I can see from this topic, part of the problem is Nintendo is being mum about the most important details. We're getting a Nintendo Direct on this subject soon so I hope they clarify some things.

Now the friend codes are shortened? Short or not, though, it's counter intuitive nonsense. I can remember a name; I can't remember a numerical code even half as easy. Nintendo simply needs to join the modern era and toss off the veil of obtuse protectionism because it keeps holding back their online services over and over.

But as I can see from this topic, part of the problem is Nintendo is being mum about the most important details. We're getting a Nintendo Direct on this subject soon so I hope they clarify some things.

Just different opinions i guess then :p.

I agree about this ND, it's perhaps my most anticipated ND so far, i have my fingers crossed for every one of the people who are making the WiiU their main next gen system that they get the online right.

Im expecting an announcement tomorrow for it to be shown on Thursday, they surely can't wait until 10 or even 2 days before launch... can they ?.

Top Bottom