• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U's Miiverse - A Guide for Dummies

TriGen

Just different opinions i guess then :p.

I agree about this ND, it's perhaps my most anticipated ND so far, i have my fingers crossed for every one of the people who are making the WiiU their main next gen system that they get the online right.

Im expecting an announcement tomorrow for it to be shown on Thursday, they surely can't wait until 10 or even 2 days before launch... can they ?.

Those are my guesses, the 8th or the 15th. That seems like Nintendo's style. In any regard, we know there will be an ND before launch, that's the good thing. I'm with you in that I would like one this Thursday, though. And when you look at the fact that Nintendo put up info on their digital promotion for deluxe buyers, plus the fact that sites have been allowed to show more NSMBU footage, that suggests that Nintendo might be getting ready to talk. I think the 8th is the sweet spot with the 1st and the 15th being a bit extreme in both directions.

Pharros

Those are my guesses, the 8th or the 15th. That seems like Nintendo's style. In any regard, we know there will be an ND before launch, that's the good thing. I'm with you in that I would like one this Thursday, though. And when you look at the fact that Nintendo put up info on their digital promotion for deluxe buyers, plus the fact that sites have been allowed to show more NSMBU footage, that suggests that Nintendo might be getting ready to talk. I think the 8th is the sweet spot with the 1st and the 15th being a bit extreme in both directions.

You know Nintendo is tight lipped when its fans consider a little amount over two weeks before launch an extreme.

I find it amusing that having the most important Direct to date air on the 8th is possible. That's not even two weeks from the NA launch. Nintendo really likes to troll us.

Pharros

we're all like abused spouses, just keep coming back :(

Perfect analogy...

And once again I have a strong feeling that it needs to be this week if they want to avoid bad press/further questioning. I mean, review copies should be going out soon... Shouldn't they? Oh Nintendo, you so silly.

TriGen

You know Nintendo is tight lipped when its fans consider a little amount over two weeks before launch an extreme.

As I said, that's Nintendo's style. Though I was factoring in the fact that we just had a 3DS ND. If we hadn't I would assume we would be getting one this week. Someone in the Nintendo downloads thread is teasing a possible announcement for something this Thursday, so maybe we will get one on the 1st. As I said, I do think the fact that Nintendo posted about their digital promo is a bit telling, because downloading games would tie into an online focused ND.

And once again I have a strong feeling that it needs to be this week if they want to avoid bad press/further questioning.

The negativity around the lack of news has been happening for weeks now. And the worst press that they're getting is that there's almost a dead silence about the Wii U from the press (outside of IGN). That's pretty bad for a console that's launching in around 3 weeks. There's simply no reason why people should be having to guess/speculate about console features at this point in time.

Pharros

The negativity around the lack of news has been happening for weeks now. And the worst press that they're getting is that there's almost a dead silence about the Wii U from the press (outside of IGN). That's pretty bad for a console that's launching in around 3 weeks. There's simply no reason why people should be having to guess/speculate about console features at this point in time.

Exactly, and it's only going to get worse if they don't speak up. I feel like if they had changed up their announcing schedule and simply gave us a Nintendo Direct date say... two weeks in advance it would've built some hype and we wouldn't feel this left in the dark.

I really expect the next Nintendo Direct to be on Thursday but if we get more news everyday until the 18th even better.

Where are those damn TV Ads?

TriGen

I really expect the next Nintendo Direct to be on Thursday but if we get more news everyday until the 18th even better.

Where are those damn TV Ads?

Yeah, the lack of any TV ads, in NA especially is a little surprising. We are getting close to launch and there isn't really any marketing being done. I guess because they know a new console will sell at launch no matter what so they don't feel the need to spend too much money, but it's still weird. I keep up with all Wii U news and I'm excited, but even with that being the case, it doesn't "feel" like a new console is almost out.

don't know how accurate the info was, but I remember someone saying the Wii ads didn't start until a week before launch.

Wow, if true. It seems like the Wii was on TV all the time. Maybe it feels different because even non-gaming related shows were talking about it. I do seem to remember the regular news being a bit Wii crazy.

Pharros

I have a question that was only touched upon earlier. Do journalists review consoles have all the features of retail consoles? For example, would they have full access to Miiverse and the OS? In my opinion, if you are reviewing a system you should have the biggest features accessible to actually review. And how far in advance do reviewers receive review pieces? Would give an interesting look into when we can expect some information at least.

TriGen

I have a question that was only touched upon earlier. Do journalists review consoles have all the features of retail consoles? For example, would they have full access to Miiverse and the OS? In my opinion, if you are reviewing a system you should have the biggest features accessible to actually review. And how far in advance do reviewers receive review pieces? Would give an interesting look into when we can expect some information at least.

Giant Bomb said that they should be getting their Wii U's soon, so I bet next week. As far as the OS/Miiverse are concerned I think the media should have access to the OS and should be able to see how everything is laid out, but Nintendo may very well not have their online stuff live. It wouldn't surprise me if people couldn't actually access Miiverse until closer to launch.

Here is the info from the Nintendo downloads thread.

There is a big announcement coming soon for this, smth smth crossover smth. Look out on November 1st.

I heard some rumblings... I'm pretty sure what I heard about will be revealed VERY soon, aka by Thursday.

It might concern both 3DS and Wii U, or just 3DS.

I'm sorry I'm so vague, but I can't say more.

So potentially we could hear something this Thursday, we'll see.

steveovig

Accomplishments once again mentioned, but again it is quite vague in regards to just how they link to Miiverse/OS. Accomplishments is also not capitalized which could indicate it's not an overall name given, but again, no one really knows at this point. Just thought I'd point it out for those interested.

I think that Project CARS thingy that came out weeks ago listing Trophies, Achievements, and Accomplishments next to each other almost solidifies. I'd still love to have confirmation from Nintendo on this. There will be several games releasing in the launch window that I'd like to buy on the U but I won't without a good Accomplishments/achievements system of some kind (ie: Aliens, Sonic Racing).

did anyone make the TV ads start tomorrow thread?

just waking up

wii_u_advert_teaser.jpg

Yuripaw

Banned
Yeah, the lack of news really is frustrating. If it wasn't for the demo unit in the store I work at, I don't think a lot of the people shopping there would know it exist. However the lack of information is still not helping them, because with the system there, everyone still thinks it's a handheld system. Especially since Rayman Legends is the only playable demo, and the game image is mirror on the TV and gamepad. So it just looks like they're outputting the image to the TV. No one gets that this is a home console.

AntMurda

Accomplishments confirmed across first party games like New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, and Sing Party. Someone mentioned Wii Fit U as well.

More importantly, the Sing Party press release says "which will be visible to all of your friends in the Miiverse" . Seems like universal through Miiverse.

zroid

Banned
Bumping this because that other Miiverse thread is getting ridiculously derailed.

Anyway.

Now that we know a bit more about this thing, I'm pretty cautiously optimistic about it. Definitely has tons of potential. The Twitter/Pictochat/message board fusion seems like it could be a great way to connect with people about specific games.

TriGen

Bumping this because that other Miiverse thread is getting ridiculously derailed.

Yeah.

So, anybody think NoA will do a pre-launch ND? I still say yes, sometime between the 13-15. I think they'll want to explain everything to the audience that might not watch the JPN vid, plus I think they'll go over stuff like the eShop and external storage, just to clear up any extra bit of info.

Can we update what we know about Miiverse in this Miiverse OT or have a new OT?

Tempted to start a thread about following Iwata on MiiVerse

Yuzawa
Yeah. What people get out of timelines varies by person. It's pretty hard, so we're experimenting. The main point is making sure that people all over the world can look at it smoothly without feeling any stress.

Kurisu
And this time, if you find someone you like on a timeline, you can follow that person. For example, suppose one million people are following me. If I post a simple greeting, the problem arises of having to deliver that to all one million people.

Iwata
Even if popular users appear with lots of followers, you have to manage the system so it doesn't crash.

Kurisu
Yeah. I think that when it comes to Miiverse, you will be such a person! (laughs)

Iwata
I don't know about that. Let's just make sure we handle it well. (laughs)

( source )

maybe they will limit the number of followers at first but this is a good sign... and if Iwata and Reggie are on MiiVerse for you to find o_O

If we see the Wii U take off and get really popular I wonder if we'll see companies get on there and start spamming ads around the Miiverse, and if Nintendo has a TOS I place that'll allow them to delete those accounts.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Some more information for miiverse (crude google translation): http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/hardware/features/miiverse/index.html

"Community" is a place to share in a common topic seems freewheeling. Software for all the Wii U has a "community" of their own, you will be able to check the reputation of the software or to exchange information of your favorite software, anxious.

"Miiverse", you can call at any time from the "HOME button menu" GamePad. Of course, when you're not playing the game, so you can access the "Miiverse" without having to exit the game, even while you play, you can share your thoughts whenever you Omoitatsu.

If you follow the user, their posts will appear in the "activity of all."
Check the latest information that person is simpler, you can more deeply, leading to more familiar.

Friends will be further, "as well as the activities of everyone," I will also be able to exchange messages directly. I invited you to play the game, such as in play, you can take a more intimate communication.

It can be set in three stages of "private" public "and my profile, to" Friends "public" open range of writing that post. You will be able to control the information you want to publish to your liking.

You can restrict the use of itself, "Miiverse" such as when a child is going to use, such as posting or limited only, you can also limit the functionality of "Miiverse" who is the guardian.

in comments to spoilers of the game, when you want to read the comments that can be so that you do not tend to watch carelessly that others, post hiding the contents, spoilers are hidden, each button You will be able to check the contents with the push of a. In addition, when the spoilers are included in what has been posted, you can also be reported to the Nintendo.

I think the most notable of my concerns was whether we'd be able to make "threads" without the need for a specific topic like a game. it seems that's possible, so my only other concern is whether we can use PM's without having to actually boot up miiverse. also I hope there are notifications.

AzaK

Some more information for miiverse (crude google translation): http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/hardware/features/miiverse/index.html

I think the most notable of my concerns was whether we'd be able to make "threads" without the need for a specific topic like a game. it seems that's possible, so my only other concern is whether we can use PM's without having to actually boot up miiverse. also I hope there are notifications.

Yeah the ability to make our own communities, a-la 3DS would be great. As far as notifications go, we know that we will at least get a notification when someone "likes" your post by clicking "YEAH". I can only assume they take that further to notify when a friend comes online or someone wants to video chat etc.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
So we should be able to make specific miiverse communities correct? Hopefully there will be a GAF specific one so we can all add each other easily there.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
So third-parties finally received recently the OS with Miiverse available. They are trying it, connected with Nintendo employees.

So far, all are very impressed, and clearly find that Nintendo went a step further than their competitors in terms of online services, thanks in great part to Miiverse.

roddur

So third-parties finally received recently the OS with Miiverse available. They are trying it, connected with Nintendo employees.

So far, all are very impressed, and clearly find that Nintendo went a step further than their competitors in terms of online services, thanks in great part to Miiverse.

very good news indeed.

Zero148

but GAF told me Nintendo has shitty online service

Very good news, too bad I have to wait another 17 days until I can try it by my self.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So third parties are just now getting access to this? So obviously the launch titles won't have Miiverse stuff. That's too bad :(

They won't have game specific features but if Nintendo is to be believed they will still support the basic features.

So third parties are just now getting access to this? So obviously the launch titles won't have Miiverse stuff. That's too bad :(

I thought it meant there Wii U's now have the firmware update that the press is waiting for. Am I wrong ideaman? I hope not lol.

Edit: Ahhh I see.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

They don't have Miiverse full integration yes, as their projects went gold a few weeks ago, they didn't have the tools to implement this feature inside those in time. But you'll have the Miiverse functions handled by the system/server, like communities, boards, that you can access by switching from the game to the OS.

Zero148

Miiverse is a system feature, every launch game will have posts and screenshots in Miiverse at least

edit: beaten so many times

Violet_0

Banned
hm, the Miis still look exactly the same as on the Wii? It's an odd thing to complain about, but I rather enjoy the wide range of 360 avatar customization options.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
hm, the Miis still look exactly the same as on the Wii? It's an odd thing to complain about, but I rather enjoy the wide range of 360 avatar customization options.

I don't have a 360 so I've never used the Avatar maker but to me they all seem to have the same face. On the other hand I can make a wide variety of faces with Miis.

Seeing as the 3DS added new facial features I will not be surprised to see a few more added to the WiiU's maker.

Hoping it's easy to transfer Miis from my 3DS to the WiiU. They should link right?

Pharros

Okay, so launch titles don't have full Miiverse integration, but have the functions that are available to any game. So... Someone fill me in on what Miiverse functions that they couldn't use, or some that they can now implement. Perhaps I am not fully educated with regards to all Miiverse bells and whistles.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)

Do you have a link to any sort of comments about this, or is this more "off the record" stuff?

What are you talking about? Miiverse is OS level. 3rd parties don't have to do anything for every game to support the basic functionality.

I think what I'm glad about most is that Nintendo finally realized they don't have to cripple the entire system to protect kids. They can just make a TON of different settings/privacy options instead

I believe this considering Broken Rules just downloaded their game from the eShop and installed it.

Pharros

I believe this considering Broken Rules just downloaded their game from the eShop and installed it.

I still do not understand how they had no access to main functions but we've had Jackson speaking of the OS and Miiverse as if he was well informed of all functions. Perhaps he was informed on the final product?

Top Bottom