• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U's Miiverse - A Guide for Dummies

Hoo-doo

Banned
Having kids hidden on the miiverse could be a masterstroke, just think of an xbox live without all the little shits spouting shite down the mic, or playing music down the mic etc. I really hope ninty have an xbox live like service with this miiverse i could really go all in for a few years with them if they do.

Attempting to "hide" kids that way would be likely as effective as those age-gates in front of violent videogame trailers. You honestly think that's ever going to work?

wsippel

Banned
The point I was making was clear and without any ulterior motives. There is no magical secret social networking innovation that is causing Nintendo to be mute about the features, and this is demonstrated time and time again by every attempt Nintendo has made to enter these realms (and it is demonstrated by what we do know about Miiverse - there's just not much new there at all.. unless you're counting integrating it with a controller screen as "new"). They have always, without exception, been behind the curve on this. Even the 3DS, which has only come out a year ago, it was laughably outdated in this regard. In one more year they're going to have improved so much that they set the standard and then invent something Microsoft or Sony haven't already thought of before (to such an extent they would require secrecy)? Come on. Be serious.
I guess you don't remember Randnet and SatellaView. Nintendo did "online" before Sony and MS even entered the field. Also, what we've seen of Miiverse so far is quite a bit different from PSN and XBL.

Attempting to "hide" kids that way would be likely as effective as those age-gates in front of violent videogame trailers. You honestly think that's ever going to work?

I don't see how it wouldn't be effective. The parents set an option to not have their child's Mii show up to others or whatever, and changing that option is protected by a password only the parent knows.

@wsippel it is kinda strange that Nintendo experimented so heavily on so many network things at the beginning. These must have been too expensive for long term?

many people forget that stuff but you really have to be a tech geek to even know it

Amir0x

Banned
I don't see how it wouldn't be effective. The parents set an option to not have their child's Mii show up to others or whatever, and changing that option is protected by a password only the parent knows.

he is basically saying that parental options exist on other consoles too, but they don't work. because any kid that is behaving as you described probably has a relatively low level of parental supervision to begin with, and therefore won't have a parent setting any passwords or protection in the first place.

At best it can only diminish the problem

I have such little hopes for Nintendo's online that I was disappointed when that rumor came out about Nintendo turning down EA's offer to just use Origin.

Pharros

I have such little hopes for Nintendo's online that I was disappointed when that rumor came out about Nintendo turning down EA's offer to just use Origin.

I just pretend it doesn't exist and that anything announced about features is simply a positive. That way it won't hurt as much if there are no achievements as well.

Amir0x

Banned
i definitely think Nintendo is starting to genuinely learn from their slow adoption of common sense online functionality, because each new system gradually starts to adopt more features that should be standard everywhere.

if Wii U drops friend codes completely, that's already basically a quantum leap for them. I'll start there with my expectations. Can't possibly go down from there, right?

The way EA works the WiiU would have become an Origin Box locking out everyone else but Nintendo has many other partners to think of.

I am only disappointed about the backlash the WiiU is getting from EA because of it, seems so damn childish yet they have good devs and games I need to play. :(

he is basically saying that parental options exist on other consoles too, but they don't work. because any kid that is behaving as you described probably has a relatively low level of parental supervision to begin with, and therefore won't have a parent setting any passwords or protection in the first place.

At best it can only diminish the problem

Ah ok I was thinking about it from more of a technical standpoint.

I agree with that. Bad parental supervision isn't going to change with the release of a new console.

Amir0x

Banned

I agree with that. Bad parental supervision isn't going to change with the release of a new console.

i'm always a little shocked at the straight up murder games parents don't even blink about buying for their 9 year olds these days

but who am I to judge...

i definitely think Nintendo is starting to genuinely learn from their slow adoption of common sense online functionality, because each new system gradually starts to adopt more features that should be standard everywhere.

if Wii U drops friend codes completely, that's already basically a quantum leap for them. I'll start there with my expectations. Can't possibly go down from there, right?

It is a wait and see type of thing. I believe when they say they dropped friend codes and have achievements through Miiverse but how it is done determines if they learned anything.

I like the fact that I already want an HDD because you have a 17GB DD game at launch on your eShop that is just very cool for me to think I can be lazy and DD games all day if my ISP allows.

these are things other companies have been doing for years sure. But for a Nintendo fan who had been making due with subpar online networks it is nice to see changes even when it takes time.

Tmdean

Banned

A lot of people are using friend codes as a barometer in this way, but they're really a minor issue compared to all the other problems Nintendo has with online. It's hard to come up with a single all encompassing issue, but if I had to pick one, I'd say the ability to see when friends are online and message them (whether they're playing an online game or not) would be the one thing I'll be looking for to see if Nintendo is serious about online this time around.

CuboidFX

Banned
I'd say the ability to see when friends are online and message them (whether they're playing an online game or not) would be the one thing I'll be looking for to see if Nintendo is serious about online this time around.

You can already see whether they're online on 3DS and the little light flashes oranges when one of them signs on. Not much on the message front aside from Swapnote though.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Yes. In a perfect world, the thing you mentioned would work perfectly.

Sadly though, parental restrictions are widely ignored by everyone everywhere.

Amir0x

Banned
A lot of people are using friend codes as a barometer in this way, but they're really a minor issue compared to all the other problems Nintendo has with online. It's hard to come up with a single all encompassing issue, but if I had to pick one, I'd say the ability to see when friends are online and message them (whether they're playing an online game or not) would be the one thing I'll be looking for to see if Nintendo is serious about online this time around.

I just mean that's the lowest bar I can reasonably set for myself so I can not be disappointed. I agree there are even more significant problems than friend codes, but it would be a big first step.

I think some of the issues you're talking about were starting to be resolved in recent 3DS updates, so I'm sure Wii U will certainly include some of those basic things. I'm sure we'll be able to see when friends are online, what they're playing and then message them or whatever.

It is a wait and see type of thing. I believe when they say they dropped friend codes and have achievements through Miiverse but how it is done determines if they learned anything.

I like the fact that I already want an HDD because you have a 17GB DD game at launch on your eShop that is just very cool for me to think I can be lazy and DD games all day if my ISP allows.

these are things other companies have been doing for years sure. But for a Nintendo fan who had been making due with subpar online networks it is nice to see changes even when it takes time.

i have an HDD ready to go... just standard these days, really.

Tmdean

Banned
You can already see whether they're online on 3DS and the little light flashes oranges when one of them signs on. Not much on the message front aside from Swapnote though.

Yeah, it's the messaging part that they fall short on. Lots of times I'll see that someone's online and I'll text them to start a game, but it's ridiculous to have to text or IM them through a seperate channel when they are definitely currently using a perfectly capable internet connected device.

And I've noticed the being visible online feature is kind of buggy and doesn't work some of the time.

TriGen

do we know what type of HDD this will allow? Or are they all able to be formatted?

I think I am going to spend some bucks on a nice sized one if I can find some reviews of quality

I'm still waiting, just like you. What I've heard is any external HDD will work, but I want to hear Nintendo tell me exactly how their accounts will be setup. If my Wii U breaks and I buy another one before my first is repaired can I log-in to this new console with my NNID and re-download eveything? Can I log-in on my friends Wii U under my account like with the 360? Are saves tied to your account, your system, or your storage device? Before I commit to downloading Nintendo games I want to be sure Nintendo isn't gonna have anymore of that "we need a police report garbage."

Just because you have an account sytem it doesn't mean everything is set in stone. There are a few differences between the PS3 and 360 in this regard (minor differences, but still differences).

AzaK

Oh, I agree. I wasn't trying to downplay their talent for these sorts of refinements and innovations. I was simply saying that there is nothing that Nintendo would have been thinking of with regards to social networking on Wii U that Microsoft - who is hugely enmeshed in such stuff - wouldn't have already seen and either rejected, implemented differently or simply are waiting for their next console to include. And same goes for Sony, which has to date been just football fields ahead of Nintendo for this stuff. Thus, I'm saying there is no logical reason for Nintendo of all people to try to be secretive for that reason. Much less when there are only three weeks left to launch. There has been no indication from any of their hardware, or any of the info we have about Miiverse and Wii U, to suggest there is some innovation that requires launch day secrecy.

I'm confused. What about the social networking revolution has MS done well in. They are a slow moving, sloth-like company that digests itself at ever turn. Sure they pushed online in console gaming (Something that was around for years before on PC's remember, and hence nothing really new) but in totality I consider MS to be almost the poster-child for a company that follows and never leads.

Maxrunner

Yes. In a perfect world, the thing you mentioned would work perfectly.

Sadly though, parental restrictions are widely ignored by everyone everywhere.

This, just went to see Looper at a theatre, and the amount of stupid kids screaming and doing stupid things......i remember the times where if i put a leg in some unocupied siet, there would someone telling me not to do this, now it's freaking chaos....kids do what they want....

Amir0x

Banned
I'm confused. What about the social networking revolution has MS done well in. They are a slow moving, sloth-like company that digests itself at ever turn. Sure they pushed online in console gaming (Something that was around for years before on PC's remember, and hence nothing really new) but in totality I consider MS to be almost the poster-child for a company that follows and never leads.

Microsoft is a software company that deals in operating systems that directly have to compensate for all manner of social programming and the like. They are probably quite without exaggeration light years more ahead of Nintendo when it comes to having their finger on the pulse of new developments and implementing structures that are relevant to streamlining the front end console experience. I'm not even sure how that'd be a debate. If Nintendo had some 'idea', Microsoft would have heard about it five years prior and would have already made a decision regarding it for their platforms. Nintendo has not listed a single new thing at all, and as far as I can tell has just put some awkward in between for the sake of cuteness and called it innovation. Microsoft hasn't been particularly innovative either, but at least their goal is simply the most functionality so it has utility. They wouldn't make the front page a gaggle of avatars busily and hideously making the front end process more convoluted then it had to be.

In any event, my comment is not about Microsoft also innovating. It's simply about how far behind Nintendo is in the curve in every single instance we have ever examined them enter the online/social space, and how by default Microsoft would by just incalculably more informed about what is going on in this particular part of the software world. How, logically, it makes no sense at all that this is suddenly going to be the exception, and that they have some magical innovative surprise in store for this aspect of Wii U.

I am sure Wii U's online will be much better than 3DS, DS and Wii (how the hell could it not be?), but this idea that Nintendo is coyly waiting on some INNOVATORS bombshell so that the meanies at Microsoft and Sony won't copy is so hilarious to me that I can't help but disagree strongly.

I'm still waiting, just like you. What I've heard is any external HDD will work, but I want to hear Nintendo tell me exactly how their accounts will be setup. If my Wii U breaks and I buy another one before my first is repaired can I log-in to this new console with my NNID and re-download eveything? Can I log-in on my friends Wii U under my account like with the 360? Are saves tied to your account, your system, or your storage device? Before I commit to downloading Nintendo games I want to be sure Nintendo isn't gonna have anymore of that "we need a police report garbage."

Just because you have an account sytem it doesn't mean everything is set in stone. There are a few differences between the PS3 and 360 in this regard (minor differences, but still differences).

I'm really more interested in an HDD buyers guide for WiiU than worrying about broken hardware at this point. I don't want to spend $100 on something that works slow or has the wrong drivers or something

If Microsoft sees an idea like that of Miiverse first and passes on it in exchange for nothing, it really means dick. Just like when Sony dabbled in motion control before Nintendo but didn't give it a real push. It didn't matter.

On the flip side, Nintendo giving the GC online capability just so that one whole game could use it didn't really mean squat either. MS and Sony had show them it was important first.

RedSwirl

I actually think Microsoft and Sony will go in similar directions next gen, at least with the social network angle. Steam is already trying it out with a facebook-style feed. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Miiverse incorporated the same thing for your friendslist - a feed of your friends' comments on games, screenshots, and accomplishments. In fact the closest thing to what I imagine Miiverse being like is the new Steam Community. The question is where Sony and Microsoft will take this next gen. The advances that they will undoubtedly make to PSN and XBL are actually the main reason I'm even interested in next gen consoles.

I can't wait to see the new controllers from MS/Sony. Copying Miiverse seems like a pretty good idea for them. But it's not really practical without an on-hand keyboard (like the touch screen gives you). I'd be more surprised if they didn't use a lot of these ideas.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I can't wait to see the new controllers from MS/Sony. Copying Miiverse seems like a pretty good idea for them. But it's not really practical without an on-hand keyboard (like the touch screen gives you). I'd be more surprised if they didn't use a lot of these ideas.

If this sort of thing gets copied, I suspect the tradeoff will be they'd try to make it an optional peripheral. Due to the cost of including such a device in the default package. It seems a given that they're going to push for powerful base hardware as the most important criteria. Thus limiting their options for packing in stuff not related to core performance.

The classic problem of course, is that if the device isn't 100% stock standard and sold with every kit, developers will be discouraged from paying attention to it.

Who knows, maybe Microsoft will just try to leverage smartglass in its current form, relying on a separate tablet device, as its sole nod to Wii U.

If this sort of thing gets copied, I suspect the tradeoff will be they'd try to make it an optional peripheral. Due to the cost of including such a device in the default package. It seems a given that they're going to push for powerful base hardware as the most important criteria. Thus limiting their options for packing in stuff not related to core performance.

The classic problem of course, is that if the device isn't 100% stock standard and sold with every kit, developers will be discouraged from paying attention to it.

Who knows, maybe Microsoft will just try to leverage smartglass in its current form, relying on a separate tablet device, as its sole nod to Wii U.

There's always the chance that Sony can continue to push the delusional thought that people will buy a Vita to do the same thing. But like you said, it won't be in the PS4 box and developers won't support the idea. It's all talk on Sony's end. I could definitely see Sony just going for it and coming out with a controller with a screen in the middle.

I think Microsoft might be using this year to gauge the success of Smartglass (but they've gotta show the controller at E3, right?). I personally don't think most people will give a shit about it. It's far from convenient from a gameplay perspective. Perhaps they feel like Kinect 2.0 will be enough for them though.

Either way, I think they'd both be stupid not to copy the Miiverse in some form or another.

Tmdean

Banned
I think Microsoft might be using this year to gauge the success of Smartglass (but they've gotta show the controller at E3, right?). I personally don't think most people will give a shit about it. It's far from convenient from a gameplay perspective. Perhaps they feel like Kinect 2.0 will be enough for them though.

I haven't been paying much attention, but when it was first announced, I could only imagine that Smartglass would be implemented by the Xbox serving up HTML/JS pages from the system to your tablet. If that was the case, there would be seconds of latency, with no 3D graphics and very limited animation support. Not to mention it couldn't possibly substitute for a controller, because of the no buttons issue, so you'd have to be handling the tablet and controller at the same time. It kind of boggles my mind that anyone could consider that to be competing with the GamePad.

Has there been any indication to the alternative so far? Will SmartGlass stream video from the console over WiFi like the Wii U?

edit: watched some YouTube videos. SmartGlass looks pretty lag-free actually. It must be streaming drawing commands from the console and input back instead of using HTTP like I assumed. Theoretically I think they could support limited 3D animation like this, but they don't seem to currently.

Yes and no. Mostly no. There was a miscommunication that Nintendo would be going over every single Miiverse message before they would appear in the Miiverse, like an approval process. This is not true. Miiverse messages will be set to automatically appear. However, Nintendo will be using various filters to detect inappropriate language and content. If tagged, a message will require approval before appearing publicly on the Miiverse.

That's what I figured. I still don't care much about social gaming either way but if it helps the system get more games than that's fine by me.

AzaK

edit: watched some YouTube videos. SmartGlass looks pretty lag-free actually. It must be streaming drawing commands from the console and input back instead of using HTTP like I assumed. Theoretically I think they could support limited 3D animation like this, but they don't seem to currently.

Yeah, I watched the Forza demo of it and it looks quite cool. I noticed that it looks like the game sends a bunch of data to the other device as a preload and then uses that with drawing/layout stuff so it doesn't have to stream lots of data in realtime. It's a really nice ad on.

While I think that for a number of games SmartGlass would very well emulate the Wii U GamePad functionality, however apart from the higher resolution afforded by tablets and phones it really didn't seem to come close to what Wii U is capable of. That is, realtime, fully realised 3d scenes on the pad. That may change of course if they start adding VRML (Or whatever is the thing these days) type rendering.

All this aside, the 3 biggest things that I see Wii U having a big advantage over SmartGlass are:

1) Price - it comes included in the console for a good price.
2) Ubiquity - EVERY single Wii U will have it
3) Singular part - GamePad has the controls and touch screen in one unit. With SmartGlass you have your controller in your hand to play and you have the touchscreen separate. You'd have to sit it somewhere to see it and it's be cumbersome to interact with in a lot of games.

EVH

Is there any hint about the 3DS network being unified with all the MiiVerse / account system? I remember reading about an update for 3DS when WiiU launches, or something like that.

Is there any hint about the 3DS network being unified with all the MiiVerse / account system? I remember reading about an update for 3DS when WiiU launches, or something like that.

I don't think we've heard anything since E3. I'm guessing we won't see it until early next year.

Amir0x

Banned
Smartglass is going to be a total bomb

as everyone knows, developers simply do not develop much for peripherals or features that are not included with every console sold

Smartglass is going to be a total bomb

as everyone knows, developers simply do not develop much for peripherals or features that are not included with every console sold

MS somehow got more Kinect support than Move a ton more.

I would hope they do as much with SmartGlass but the whole thing seems very kneejerk

November 1st Nintendo Direct please bring some news

Amir0x

Banned
MS somehow got more Kinect support than Move a ton more.

I would hope they do as much with SmartGlass but the whole thing seems very kneejerk

November 1st Nintendo Direct please bring some news

even Kinect suggests my point is true. The number of truly original games on Kinect continue to dwindle, and even the number of Kinect modified games continue to dwindle.

And the only reason Kinect even did half as well as it did was because Microsoft spent $500,000,000 advertising the garbage. I highly doubt SmartGlass is going to get that.

even Kinect suggests my point is true. The number of truly original games on Kinect continue to dwindle, and even the number of Kinect modified games continue to dwindle.

And the only reason Kinect even did half as well as it did was because Microsoft spent $500,000,000 advertising the garbage. I highly doubt SmartGlass is going to get that.

With Surface and other MS touchscreens Win 8 ads SmartGlass may get more than a mention in ads. I would predict we see more SmartGlass in ads than we do Miiverse

The investors meeting Q&A is now available in English.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/121025qa/index.html

The Miiverse question is Q7 here.

Or, for the lazy, with emphasis added:

Satoru Iwata said:
"Miiverse" is a new network service which connects those who play games, and we plan to start it at the same time as the launch of the Wii U system. As it would take me a long time to elaborate on "Miiverse" here, we are currently preparing a Nintendo Direct video to explain about it in detail before the launch of Wii U. Please let me tell you why Nintendo is making a strong effort for "Miiverse," how it will change our platforms and how it will relate to smart devices.

The fun of a game derives from not just enjoying playing it but communicating with others about topics relating to it and empathizing with one another. You might remember that you exchanged information on secret tricks for Mario games in your youth or that you were excited to talk about your progress in "Dragon Quest" with friends in school. "Miiverse" is a new network service where you can communicate and share your gaming experiences with others, and we will provide it integrated into the Wii U system at the launch of the console. After booting up Wii U, the screen we introduced as "Mii Wara Wara*" will be automatically displayed with comments from other consumers enjoying Wii U. Also, without any specific development work, all Wii U games are supposed to be able to invoke "Miiverse" without being shut down and utilize basic functions of "Miiverse." Further development work in a game could create more opportunities for communication and empathy among users. In addition, for our past platforms, users had to exchange a number called a "Friend Code" with each other to build a Friend relationship, where data could be transferred between two specific devices. This process was set up to prevent users from being harassed by the few people who like to behave in an inappropriate manner when playing games. For Wii U, as those who have empathized with each other can create a Friend relationship, the important mission of "Miiverse" is to increase the number of friends to play games with. Here’s an example. Who has more opportunities to go drinking, a person with three drinking pals or one with 20? The same can be said for golf pals or traveling pals. Anyway, as you have more friends to enjoy something together with, you have more topics and experiences related to it and as a result, you will have more opportunities to invite them or be invited to enjoy it. That is to say, more friends to play games with mean more opportunities to enjoy them. As "Miiverse" is not confined to dedicated gaming platforms and will be available on smart devices in the near future, we hope that, even on a train where many people are using smart devices, you will know how your gaming friends are enjoying their games. Our consumers are not confined to the people who actively search for information on video games to find the next game to enjoy and typically never fail to see Nintendo Direct once they become aware of it. After the expansion of the gaming population, due to Nintendo DS and Wii, I referred to our challenge of helping consumers find the next game to play in our Financial Results Briefings. We had tried various actions and were able to show some results, but unfortunately we could not come up with the perfect answer. Then the use rate of the hardware gradually decreased and people were starting to stop playing games during the gap period between releases of highly-anticipated game titles. This is the problem all gaming platforms faced, not only Nintendo DS and Wii. However, if you have more friends to play games with, you will inevitably have more chances to encounter new games. What is more, this will be caused not by publishers’ advertisements, but visualization of the feelings of those you have empathized with. As there are many excellent but buried games in the world, and you must be impressed by some of them, the important mission of "Miiverse" is to create opportunities to let you know about such games without spending our finite advertising budget on it. To sum up, we hope that "Miiverse," where you can emphasize with others about video games, will work to increase the fun of each game and keep the high use rate of the hardware even while new big titles are unavailable. For this to happen, we need to involve smart devices as well as dedicated gaming platforms. "Miiverse" will increase the number of opportunities the user will experience of finding the next game to play and therefore create a business environment with potentially more game sales. Various people pointed out that playing Wii games alone was not as fun as playing them in a group. For Wii U, even when you are not with your family or friends, you can play games connected to various people around the world through "Miiverse." We are aiming to have consumers enjoy Wii U with people even when they are physically alone. We believe that this is what we should do in this period when smartphones and tablet devices have spread. We are not considering selling the software we released in the past for smartphones and tablet devices.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
The investors meeting Q&A is now available in English.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/121025qa/index.html

The Miiverse question is Q7 here.

Or, for the lazy, with emphasis added:

Ok so it's the more likely scenario that will happen:

Also, without any specific development work, all Wii U games are supposed to be able to invoke "Miiverse" without being shut down and utilize basic functions of "Miiverse." Further development work in a game could create more opportunities for communication and empathy among users.

Basic functions of Miiverse available from launch without requiring any work from studio to integrate those in their game. But, as i said it's not available to third-parties, all the "further development work in a game..." won't be there at launch for their titles.

Steph_E.

Actually...

... I wonder if adding friends through Miiverse will tie into parental controls. Because it sounds like a REALLY easy way to make everyone happy, is to make it so parents can set their kids' Miis as minors - and then their Miis will NEVER show up anywhere in Miiverse to adults.

Hell, making kids invisible in the network to adults would make both sides happen. Parents get told "nobody can even see your children online" and adult players would never even see restricted minor accounts, or messages from them, or in online games.

You would have to make kids invisible online full stop. Your solution stops kids getting on the "adult network" but doesn't stop adults getting on the "kids network" if they are so inclined - and there are loads of sicko adults out there.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You would have to make kids invisible online full stop. Your solution stops kids getting on the "adult network" but doesn't stop adults getting on the "kids network" if they are so inclined - and there are loads of sicko adults out there.

That's the obvious workaround.

However, I'm mainly thinking about it from a marketing perspective. Seems like the way Nintendo would pitch it to parents: "activate Miiverse parental controls, preventing strangers from seeing your children's activities in Miiverse".

To be fair they could restrict it even further so that with parental control on, a child account can see OTHER people in Miiverse, read their messages and so forth, but nobody else could see that child account's Mii. Unless they had previously registered as a friend through a more controlled system.

Heh, maybe that's how friends codes might survive - as a "secure parental code" that must be exchanged for two minor accounts to add one another as friends.

adroit

99.9% of the kids will be on the adult network, screaming their heads off while playing M-rated games. 100% of the pedos will be on the kids network. Problem solved for 99.9% of the kids. :)

Maxrunner

Microsoft is a software company that deals in operating systems that directly have to compensate for all manner of social programming and the like. They are probably quite without exaggeration light years more ahead of Nintendo when it comes to having their finger on the pulse of new developments and implementing structures that are relevant to streamlining the front end console experience. I'm not even sure how that'd be a debate. If Nintendo had some 'idea', Microsoft would have heard about it five years prior and would have already made a decision regarding it for their platforms. Nintendo has not listed a single new thing at all, and as far as I can tell has just put some awkward in between for the sake of cuteness and called it innovation. Microsoft hasn't been particularly innovative either, but at least their goal is simply the most functionality so it has utility. They wouldn't make the front page a gaggle of avatars busily and hideously making the front end process more convoluted then it had to be.

In any event, my comment is not about Microsoft also innovating. It's simply about how far behind Nintendo is in the curve in every single instance we have ever examined them enter the online/social space, and how by default Microsoft would by just incalculably more informed about what is going on in this particular part of the software world. How, logically, it makes no sense at all that this is suddenly going to be the exception, and that they have some magical innovative surprise in store for this aspect of Wii U.

I am sure Wii U's online will be much better than 3DS, DS and Wii (how the hell could it not be?), but this idea that Nintendo is coyly waiting on some INNOVATORS bombshell so that the meanies at Microsoft and Sony won't copy is so hilarious to me that I can't help but disagree strongly.
Dont agree completely, theyre getting destroyed by android and apple because they stayed still and did nothing to advance their mobile os now theyre screwed...

Datschge

At the investors meeting on 6/6, we had this important exchange:

You know that with that kind of response people will just read the first part and miss/ignore the more important latter part. Considering how old that statement already is exactly that already happened. =P

At the investors meeting on 6/6, we had this important exchange:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120606qa/02.html

Keeping Friend Codes is only hurting Nintendo's online ambitions. They keep emphasizing that the Miiverse eliminates the need to exchange the codes with strangers but the reality is that a lot of the people you want to add to your friends list are not strangers. With a handheld like the 3DS you might at least have it on you. Nobody wants to walk around with their Wii U FC.

Top Bottom