• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wikileaks releases name and address of every woman voter in Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhelm

contribute something
Holy shit

Journalists and anti-censorship activists who I am in touch with in Turkey have been combing through the leaked documents, and I am not aware of anything “newsworthy” being uncovered. According to the collective searching capacity of long-term activists and journalists in Turkey, none of the “Erdogan emails” appear to be emails actually from Erdogan or his inner circle. Nobody seems to be able to find a smoking gun exposing people in positions of power and responsibility. This doesn’t rule out something eventually emerging, but there have been several days of extensive searching.

However, this dump does include massive databases containing sensitive and private information of millions of ordinary people, including a special database of almost all adult women in Turkey.

Yes — this “leak” actually contains spreadsheets of private, sensitive information of what appears to be every female voter in 79 out of 81 provinces in Turkey, including their home addresses and other private information, sometimes including their cellphone numbers. If these women are members of Erdogan’s ruling Justice and Development Party (known as the AKP), the dumped files also contain their Turkish citizenship ID, which increases the risk to them as the ID is used in practicing a range of basic rights and accessing services. I’ve gone through the files myself. The Istanbul file alone contains more than a million women’s private information, and there are 79 files, with most including information of many hundreds of thousands of women.

I have no idea what Assange hopes to gain from this.

Sulik2

Wikileaks lived long enough to become the villain. This accomplishes nothing and neither did leaving social security numbers in the DNC hack. I like the idea of releasing info that the public should be aware that Wikileaks is in theory, but without a reasonable hand guiding the info dumps you sabotage your own cause.

Jeels

So with stuff like this, is there ever going to be a point where the international community really goes after Wikileaks? I mean, how do you even stop an organization like this? Do they have physical offices?

Jenov

Never trusted wikileaks. They've always been a politicized tool, there was never anything noble in their intentions.

Wtf? Why? Why even leak this? There's nothing journalistic about this. This is 4chan anonymous hacker kind of bullshit on an even worse scale.

Velcro Fly

But they care about transparency and accountability

They threatened some radio or talk show host with legal action after she said she was going to go over the ties between wikileaks and Russia on her show. "our lawyers will be watching"

They are a shit show plain and simple.

I'm glad most folk are finally coming around to the fact Wikileaks are a pretty awful outfit. Got fed up arguing with my friends over them, was nice today to finally see folk coming around to my viewpoint.

But outside of journalists nobody has access to the data. How is that a leak?

Dumping this sort of information in the press' lap is in and of itself a morally questionable act. You are not absolved from responsibility just because you don't know how people will use the information.

The question is, how is this information newsworthy? And better yet, how is it not potentially harmful to a demographic (female voters) that are about to subjected to a patriarchal religious autocracy sometime in the next few years? Remember, Erdogan controls the largest media outlet in Turkey. And now he may have the names and addresses of every woman who voted against him.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm not sure if this benefits Russia. The most likely horrible outcome is that opposition voters are targeted by pro-Erdogan mobs.

Which benefits Putin. An isolated Turkey run by a right wing dictatorship with poor western relations is precisely what he wants. Separate the weak from the herd.

The question is, how is this information newsworthy? And better yet, how is it not potentially harmful to a demographic (female voters) that are about to subjected to a patriarchal religious autocracy sometime in the next few years? Remember, Erdogan controls the largest media outlet in Turkey. And now he may have the names and addresses of every woman who voted against him.

This information contains how people voted?

Wikileaks is now a black market subterfuge business for evil regimes.

They dig up data, advertise it to various unscrupulous regime leaders and if the money is right, they'll release it publicly.

That's the only way I can look at them now. They are shit and very dangerous.

I can't find this information on the wikileaks site.

Where is HuffPo getting this from? Is this an effort to discredit wikileaks because of what they're doing to the DNC?

I think you might have pasted the wrong link.

I'm fairly sure I didn't. It's all part of the same mass email and database dump.

asagami_

Banned
Can someone declare Wikileaks as a hate group, please? This is utterly bad and potentially can damage the life of those women.

Euh, what is going on with wikileaks?

Isn't there supposed to be moderation on what is in the publics interest to be released, and the press gets involved to (fact) check everything?

Has anyone found the actual link to the wikileaks page with this information on it?

I'm not going to post a link to people's personal information on here. But I went to the "Erdogan Emails" page and searched for .xls attachments. Clicked on a random file and it's an excel sheet with ~70,000 names, addresses, birthdates and cellphone numbers.

johnny956

I'm not going to post a link to people's personal information on here. But I went to the "Erdogan Emails" page and searched for .xls attachments. Clicked on a random file and it's an attachment with ~70,000 names, addresses, birthdates and cellphone numbers.

sheesh

Euh, what is going on with wikileaks?

Isn't there supposed to be moderation on what is in the publics interest to be released, and the press gets involved to (fact) check everything?

LOL no.

They've never moderated anything, they're responsible for literally hundreds of deaths by leaking unchecked emails revealing the names of collaborators and translators in Afghanistan. Which was then used as a hit list.

People need to understand that wikileaks doesn't give a shit about human life, journalistic integrity, government transparency etc etc. Any of that shit.

They care about doing whatever they can to make America or enemies of Russia look bad. Fuck who has to die to do it.

VariantX

What is even the point of doing that, to potentially make people's lives miserable? This shit should be nuked off the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom