• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wikileaks releases name and address of every woman voter in Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condom

Euh, what is going on with wikileaks?

Isn't there supposed to be moderation on what is in the publics interest to be released, and the press gets involved to (fact) check everything?
Yeah normally they're pretty good but with their Twitter account going rogue and the recent leaks including personal information it seems like they are desperate for support.

This information contains how people voted?

Party affiliations are in there.

Even if you don't hypothesize Erdogan fuckery, the article points out that it singles out women within the AKP party, who can be targeted for political violence in the wake of the failed civil war. Or just stalked by a jealous ex bf looking to cause trouble.

Again, how is this news?

Jezbollah

Looks like Assange wants that Snowdon tier asylum package, once the FSB smuggle him out of the embassy in a dustbin.

Tiberius

They are trash !

During the terrorist attack in nice they released a video showing the corpses.
People told them it was a really bad move, to think about the families, but they answered that they were educating people about consequencies of terrorism

Yeah normally they're pretty good but with their Twitter account going rogue and the recent leaks including personal information it seems like they are desperate for support.

No, they aren't.

People DIE because they leak these things without redacting names.

Wikileak fighting so we can know what matters. This is a really pointless thing which I hope doesn't lead to any negative backlash against the women. These days, the littles things can lead to an awful outcome.

kamspy

I'm not going to post a link to people's personal information on here. But I went to the "Erdogan Emails" page and searched for .xls attachments. Clicked on a random file and it's an excel sheet with ~70,000 names, addresses, birthdates and cellphone numbers.

Well that is pretty fucked up then.

WTF wikileaks.

Does it show who these women voted for? Or just an info listed of every registered female voter.

LOL no.

They've never moderated anything, they're responsible for literally hundreds of deaths by leaking unchecked emails revealing the names of collaborators and translators in Afghanistan. Which was then used as a hit list.

People need to understand that wikileaks doesn't give a shit about human life, journalistic integrity, government transparency etc etc. Any of that shit.

They care about doing whatever they can to make America or enemies of Russia look bad. Fuck who has to die to do it.

I had no idea. Seriously.

Why does there seem to be such a direct link to Wikileaks and Russia? Is it basically a bunch of Russian hackers or something?

Jenov

I mean, just look at the shit they've been tweeting:

CoF2izAXgAAIFJC.jpg

Clear russian propoganda. fuck them

Cyan

Banned
I don't understand what's happening with Wikileaks. I get why they'd dump the DNC emails regardless of the source being Russian hackers, or this Turkey stuff even though it doesn't have anything juicy. It fits with their whole "fight the powah" thing. And they've showed previously that they weren't all that careful with info that might be harmful to individual, non-powerful people, even when it didn't contain anything of particular public interest.

But some of this shit is just weird. In response to people talking about them accidentally doxxing people by not redacting SSNs and credit card numbers from the DNC data dump, they said on Twitter that it wasn't accidental at all. They've come out with some alt-right vaguely anti-Semitic stuff, also on Twitter. And now this. Is this some kind of bizarre #NeverCensorship thing? Do they just not have the resources to actually look at this stuff, but are pretending that it was on purpose afterwards?

None of this makes any sense.

Party affiliations are in there.

Even if you don't hypothesize Erdogan fuckery, the article points out that it singles out women within the AKP party, who can be targeted for political violence in the wake of the failed civil war. Or just stalked by a jealous ex bf looking to cause trouble.

Well yeah. I just didn't see how you thought it would benefit Erdogan, when he should know (or very easily be able to find out) this stuff already. This is dangerous for female members of his own party.

Though I suppose, writing that out, there's a not-insignificant chance this is a false-flag operation for him to sacrifice these members (odd that there's only women in this list), let them face god knows what kind of reprisals, then play the victim and use it to justify something terrible.

Morat

Banned
I don't understand what's happening with Wikileaks. I get why they'd dump the DNC emails regardless of the source being Russian hackers, or this Turkey stuff even though it doesn't have anything juicy. It fits with their whole "fight the powah" thing. And they've showed previously that they weren't all that careful with info that might be harmful to individual, non-powerful people, even when it didn't contain anything of particular public interest.

But some of this shit is just weird. In response to people talking about them accidentally doxxing people by not redacting SSNs and credit card numbers from the DNC data dump, they said on Twitter that it wasn't accidental at all. They've come out with some alt-right vaguely anti-Semitic stuff, also on Twitter. And now this. Is this some kind of bizarre #NeverCensorship thing? Do they just not have the resources to actually look at this stuff, but are pretending that it was on purpose afterwards?

Agreed. Regardless fo what people may think of wikileaks, this behaviour appears to out of character.

They've never been about fighting the power. They're just another branch of a different power. That's the thing. Just because some other leaks recently may be innocuous, it doesn't absolve them of guilt for what they did with the Afghanistan emails or anything after that.

collige

Banned
They've never been about fighting the power. They're just another branch of a different power. That's the thing. Just because some other leaks recently may be innocuous, it doesn't absolve them of guilt for what they did with the Afghanistan emails or anything after that.

Several of their leaks after the Afghan ones were good, but they also weren't particularly high profile (NSA spying on Germany and Brazil, for example). The real issue is that every large dump has do journalism or due diligence done with regards to ethically disclosing this information.

This is disgusting.
WikiLeaks has always been disgusting, but at least now more people on both sides politically are starting to wake up to it.

whats the end-game here?

why do this?

Support political crackdowns in Turkey in lieu of the failed "coup" against a president who is more hostile to the West and more friendly to Russia, Syria, and Iran.
It's also indication that WikiLeaks is a puppet for Russian strong-arming.

Sianos

I mean, just look at the shit they've been tweeting:

CoF2izAXgAAIFJC.jpg

Clear russian propoganda. fuck them

Julian: "But if you dare insinuate that I'm just a puppet for the Russian government, I'll sue you"

He sure doth protest too much, huh?

AlphaDump

Gold Member

Modern owned media conglomerates, intentional or not, and the birth of the internet has led to an all new kind of information warfare. I don't think people really understand the level of fucks Russia, or its players, have towards the rules. They simply do not give a shit. Social engineering and the internet is like infinite respawn where you can pretend to be anyone from anywhere. It is an untapped threat that is currently having tangible results.

It make's sense, it is just so bat to the face in its sheer audacity that we don't want it to be.

They're basically literally a propaganda arm of the Russian government.

Tamanon

Banned
History tells us Assange has little concern for protection when it comes to women.

Also, Wikileaks has always been terrible about responsible leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom