• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Will I be able to play Titanfall on Switch?" "No. hahaha" says Sr Designer @ Respawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

poodaddy

You (and many others in this thread) might be taking this a little too personally.
Yeah the shits embarrassing and cringey. Some of yall need to stop wishing financial hardship on others over their opinions on goddamn video games. Seriously, grow up folks.

Why couldn't Nintendo make a machine that's powerful.

I really don't give a damn about portability and I really doubt most people will be taking their Switches out to play Breath of the Wild for the amazing maximum of 3 hours battery time.

You ever tried playing a simple game like Tetris when walking? Aint no picnic, and they expect us to play Zelda like this?

Sure it'll be fun to use the Switch off screen at home sometimes, but is it really worth it at the expense of losing so many third party games and having an underpowered machine yet again?

Fuck home consoles

I'd rather play on a portable at home. And no,walking while playing isn't too hard,even thought you'd rarely actually do so.

Consoles are just such a hassle compared to the ease portables give you

JP

I really wish that more developers would speak with such candour, it's far more useful than carefully manoeuvring around answers without wanting to confirm anything when they already have a defined answer.

lenovox1

Well, he's not wrong. Its underpowered. Its not gonna get PS4/Xbox One ports. Its not a mentality. Its facts. There's a reason the FIFA port is the PS3 version.

Holy shit Nintendo fans are salty as fuck. Yeah he might have said it in a dickish way but he ain't wrong.

Isn't it getting Steep? (Yes.)

Steep is also a game that is under 16GB on PS4. I would expect most developers in the Switch's first year to utilize the smallest version they have and go from there when it comes to Switch ports.

I'm guessing Nvidia, of all companies, have made it fairly straightforward to port games made on a flexible engines.

sjay1994

I'm pretty sure nobody disagrees with what he says. I think people take issue with game devs who act needlessly douchey (example, Cliffy B).

Like, come on.

The guy is drinking watching the event with his friends, and gives them an answer. Some how he is douchey for echoing what hundreds of other people probably felt?

Like fuck, not every game developer needs to carry themselves like they are Mark Cerny.

Oh no, how can Nintendo ever recover from this scathing criticism?

As much of douche this guy sounds like, he's right. Nintendo has destroyed alot of relationships with third parties. For eff sakes Ubisoft is releasing Just Dance and those type of games, not its big hitters. Same with EA.

Nintendo REALLY needs reestablish it's glory. DO NOT SCREW THIS UP!

mandiller

Well he's right. I do actually appreciate that he's not talking in PR speak, more like he's talking amongst friends. Nintendo fan and am not mad.

Some of you all must have felt a disturbance in the force with the outlandish responses.

Maybe we can chat with the dev to get a follow up.

Anyone have an app on their phone for this?

LordKano

It's not even like he has anything to brag about : his game is bombing.

Yea that's not a salty reaction at all.

Is this wrong ? He's answering "like it is", so I edited my post to answer that way, since it was the subject of the thread. Couldn't care less about Titanfall.

If you actually watched the video you'd realize he's not being malicious at all?

I didn't watch the video, since there was supposedly a transcript in the OP. It's part of OP's fault if it's missing context.

Sounds like he really got to you.

Yeah, very mature.

It probably can. it's a source game and the first one could run on a toaster. Even this second doesn't seem that demanding. They just can't be bothered. (which I can understand).

How wrong can you be? The first Titanfall was pretty compromised on 360. Where do you get this "it can run on a toaster" stuff? Or is your logic that the engine is old so it must be able to run on anything?

Guess this thread is gonna be a cycle of

"Man screw this guy." and
"lol Nintendo fans are upset at the TRUTH"

Personally I find the quote dumb and unnecessary. It's clear to anyone that the Switch is an underpowered machine that won't run most major Western developed games without extra time and effort put in to downgrade it. That said, there's no need to be an ass about it.

The people trying to throw shade at TF2 are ridiculous though. I only played the Beta for it and I can recognize that the game is pretty damn good.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Okay, now it's starting to sound familiar.

Read McDougles' transcript from that part of the video, and watch it to get the context: we're not even in the same league as Dark Souls developers or Tim Rein publically laughing at the Wii U in formal, official interviews, far from it.

That was pretty immature. I'm pretty sure zelda will be a more fun and more immersive game than Titanfall could ever hope to be. It's not like Titanfall is even all that technically impressive anyways.

Lmao. Comparing Zelda to Titanfall. This thread keeps on delivering.

I can't believe some people act so unhinged under the influence of a few alcoholic beverages. I just can't fathom it. And now because of what he said, he's made a lot of enemies for life. I hope it was worth the slanderous talk for a few free drinks, you jackass. This video will haunt you for years.
I almost fell for this.

That was pretty immature. I'm pretty sure zelda will be a more fun and more immersive game than Titanfall could ever hope to be. It's not like Titanfall is even all that technically impressive anyways.
RSGMNcq.gif

cool

Plum

Except we aren't really talking about Titanfall 1 here now are we? Titanfall 1 which was originally meant to be PS360 game is different from Titanfall 2 which is a PS4Bone game ground up. Also you see more difference there in that Titanfall 1 comparison that we have with Zelda (atleast so far)

Of course, but like I said my post was more a take on using cross-gen ports as an indicator of a console's power; if you're gonna look at the Switch's power look at something like Mario Odyssey or Splatoon 2.

Kouriozan

I was wondering that it wouldn't fit the cartridge as well, a lot of Western AAA games wouldn't anyway.

EDIT : good job derailing the thread.

Schnozberry

What you said isn't a transcript tho...?

Mohammad Alavi: ...I was excited about it. Nintendo's been in such a niche market recently, catering to the handheld and the kids, they've been so underpowered that they don't have the support of the third parties because they're all making for the PC, Xbox One and PS4, and it's no different.
Micha: I am going to drink to it mainly because, I understand. It will be underpowered. I'm not going to be play Titanfall on it. Like, can you tell me?
Mohammad: Fuck no! No, you're not going to be able to fit Titanfall 2 on the Nintendo Switch. That's the same Zelda from the Wii U?

After plenty of drinking, mind you. The designer is joking about the idea that you can fit the Titanfall 2 in a Nintendo Switch game card, one that can fit up to 25 GB of data. Titanfall 2 is 42 GB on the Xbox One, at least.

Can't wait to see how many people didn't watch the clip and just believe the OP because he twisted the words around to make him look even worse!

His last line is a complete non-sequitur. He's probably just drunk and giving a gut reaction based on it being a cart based portable.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You ever tried playing a simple game like Tetris when walking? Aint no picnic, and they expect us to play Zelda like this?

Basically no one plays portable games while walking, that's an accident waiting to happen. The GameBoy came out in 1989; you've had quite a few year to wrap your head around the concept of portable gaming and how it works.

ghibli99

I mean, power aside, what would be the point of it even being on Switch? To play the worst version a year after its original release?

I tend not to pay attention to the opinions of those without technical skills when concerning the power of games consoles.

In other words: All the programmers I've spoken to are impressed by the output of this portable gaming system. Those complaining about it being underpowered don't seem to actually understand the limitations of current technology.

Reckheim

Some people in here make it sound like he insulted a person or something. Its a plastic box that plays video games; no need to get all salty about it.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Lmao God damn, some of you hardcore Nintendo fans are sensitive as hell.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to that one poster that equated criticising the Wii U to talking bad about his mother?

Link to that? It was the 4th best selling title in November's NPD after CoD, BF1, and Pokemon.
It did well critically but completely bombed financially. It was already half off in November despite releasing a week or so before. It was the worst selling shooter that released around that time as well. It's the definition of BOMBA.

You dont want to play a great game like TF2 because a dev answered a question? Jesus get out of Nintendos ass.
I'm saying nobody wants to play Titanfall 2. I'm basing this on the fact that nobody bought Titanfall 2.

T_V_H

Salty response as expected, I can assure everyone that Nintendo is not a person and its feelings have not been hurt. And yes he was drunk I guess, even if he was not this is hardly anything to get upset for.

Does a Nintendo defence force bingo exist? If not, someone should make one.

Some Nobody

Why couldn't he just deny the release without being a douchebag ?

It's not even like he has anything to brag about : his game is bombing.

Titanfall charted poorly the month it came out with only a day or two, but charted much better the following month when it had a full 30 days on the market. In short: it did fine, and you sound hurt lol.

I don't wanna defend Titanfall. I hate FPS as a genre. And I want Nintendo to not fail--if anything, I want the Switch to succeed so Japan has a place to put all its RPGs lol. But some of ya'll gotta stop.

Seems like some devs still see Nintendo as a company that produces underpowered hardware not good enough to handle their games. This mentality by many third party devs has plagued Nintendo since they released the Wii

Seems like you think Nintendo's hardware ever since the Wii hasn't been underpowered?

Ah man. Looks like the objective of the video is to get drunk whilst having a chat with some Devs.

The respawn guy looked pretty tispsy when he said that, it's a slip up. A bad PR move to say what everyone is thinking.

But hey, let's crucify him online about it! Woo.

For real. My thoughts exactly. Anyone taking offense to this should take a deep breath. It was a slip up for sure. Not the best move and it certainly could've been said nicer. Yet, his point is important because it likely reflects what other developers are thinking. Seems to be that Nintendo has yet again made it hard for big third party games on Xbone and PS4 to run on Switch in a meaningful way. As a long time Nintendo fan, it's a hard pill to swallow but it's the reality of the situation.

I almost feel that the design of the Switch warrants these kind of remarks from devs at this point. We'll see what unfolds over the next couple of years with the Switch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom