• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aquarion Evol 13
tumblr_m1ik7sVyrl1qaur2ao1_500.png

If I knew my wish would come at such a sacrifice then I wouldnt have asked for it.
Mikage for the absolute anger inducing character, killing Jin in the midst of the union, Jin was so happy and it was so great for a defector to actually be embraced by everyone else, Andy and Amata even lose a roommate darn that must be terrible! I was such a ball of tears at the end and then the preview

Oh yes, now I remember. So wouldn't that mean that
she's still there? I guess she set up the whole MIB thing. :p

I guess she could have. I'm wondering
whether Remon is actually the same person as Ichigo from Please Teacher or just a new character that's identical to her with the same voice actress.

Was the whole
MIB
thing in the original show as well? I can't remember if it was.
I don't think it was.

Lain

Another 12

This too finished with a bang. Finding out who the dead person was felt a bit anti-climatic for me, but I liked how everything connected.

duckroll

Btw, since checkeredknight is so interested in scenario of a total schedule/production failure, I should take the time to talk about Kissdum again. What an amazing show. The month leading up to the start of the series was a true internet drama circus.

One of the animation directors on the project started posting on his blog about how the entire production is doomed, the director has fled the studio, and they have a barely complete storyboard for the first episode and nothing else for the series. He declares that the production is pointless and that it would be better off if they canned it. Except the sponsors did NOT want to can it. They paid for a show, and they are damn well getting one! LOL.

So Satelight scrambles together a backup plan, and starts animating based on whatever they have, and making up whatever works from the pieces. The staff are clearly lacking any motivation whatsoever, but somehow the process works and they are able to make it to air. From the first 3 episodes, it was clear that this was an extremely rushed production. There are missing scenes, incomplete animations, sometimes even cuts to black screens while voice/sfx continue in the audio track because there is no animation for it.

When episode 4 aired.... it was a recap episode. Yes, after 3 episodes, they air a recap episode made up of footage from the first 3 episodes. The best part was how in some of the recap footage, the scenes are shown in a more complete fashion, since they actually finished animating them. Lol. After the recap "break", they managed to continue pumping out episodes on a weekly basis with really, really awful production values, until they needed another semi-recap episode at I think.... episode 8 or so.

The entire series was pretty hilarious because this went on for 26 goddamn episodes. The most shocking part is that by the final 2 episodes, they actually managed to get motivated enough to put out a really surprisingly competent and above average conclusion in terms of art direction and animation. I guess it's true that if you work hard enough at shit, if you have the right mind set you can actually accomplish something. Lol.

Bandai Visual wasn't very amused though, and they cancelled the DVD/BD release of the series before they could be released. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess she could have. I'm wondering
whether Remon is actually the same person as Ichigo from Please Teacher or just a new character that's identical to her with the same voice actress.

I don't think it was.

If it's the same character, then that means that she
must have gone back to space after returning at the end of Onegai Teacher since she needs to have somehow given her genetic memory of Earth to Ichika and her sister...
This is so weird. lol

wonzo

Banned
All this negative news about Koikelupin's making me pretty worried. :(

Natsume Shi 13 END

A rather bitter-sweet and dissatisfying ending to this season of Natsume's Book of Friends. I'd say this was better than the 3rd season but not as good as the first two mostly due to the very strong first half. Shame about the later episodes
except for the one involving Nyanko-sensei and Nanase being stuck down a well.

Branduil

Btw, since checkeredknight is so interested in scenario of a total schedule/production failure, I should take the time to talk about Kissdum again. What an amazing show. The month leading up to the start of the series was a true internet drama circus.

One of the animation directors on the project started posting on his blog about how the entire production is doomed, the director has fled the studio, and they have a barely complete storyboard for the first episode and nothing else for the series. He declares that the production is pointless and that it would be better off if they canned it. Except the sponsors did NOT want to can it. They paid for a show, and they are damn well getting one! LOL.

So Satelight scrambles together a backup plan, and starts animating based on whatever they have, and making up whatever works from the pieces. The staff are clearly lacking any motivation whatsoever, but somehow the process works and they are able to make it to air. From the first 3 episodes, it was clear that this was an extremely rushed production. There are missing scenes, incomplete animations, sometimes even cuts to black screens while voice/sfx continue in the audio track because there is no animation for it.

When episode 4 aired.... it was a recap episode. Yes, after 3 episodes, they air a recap episode made up of footage from the first 3 episodes. The best part was how in some of the recap footage, the scenes are shown in a more complete fashion, since they actually finished animating them. Lol. After the recap "break", they managed to continue pumping out episodes on a weekly basis with really, really awful production values, until they needed another semi-recap episode at I think.... episode 8 or so.

The entire series was pretty hilarious because this went on for 26 goddamn episodes. The most shocking part is that by the final 2 episodes, they actually managed to get motivated enough to put out a really surprisingly competent and above average conclusion in terms of art direction and animation. I guess it's true that if you work hard enough at shit, if you have the right mind set you can actually accomplish something. Lol.

Bandai Visual wasn't very amused though, and they cancelled the DVD/BD release of the series before they could be released. :p

Episode 3 of that was quite the spectacle, from what I remember.

Also, why did they make them finish the series, but then cancelled the home release? Seems like they should have just canned it in that case.

iammeiam

Another - The End

I wonder if they'll leave a tape saying
to seek out Misaki Mei, because she can actually ID the dead person so they can kill him/her before like half the class bites it in increasingly hilarious ways.

Mirai Nikki 16-23

That was an amazing amount of shit hitting the fan. So Yuno's
master plan is to keep winning and resetting time so she can win and be with Yukki again and again? That is respectably batshit. Self-imposed groundhog day and all.

I'm going to be pretty disappointed if this ends in a way that isn't entirely crazy.

duckroll

Episode 3 of that was quite the spectacle, from what I remember.

Also, why did they make them finish the series, but then cancelled the home release? Seems like they should have just canned it in that case.

I think you misunderstand. The sponsors who wanted the show to air weren't Bandai Visual. Bandai Visual is simply the home video distributor for the series. They simply opted not to go through with the home video release at the time. I'm sure if it were up to Bandai, they would probably have canned it instead of putting in more money. :p

Another - The End

I wonder if they'll leave a tape saying
to seek out Misaki Mei, because she can actually ID the dead person so they can kill him/her before like half the class bites it in increasingly hilarious ways.

Mirai Nikki 16-23

That was an amazing amount of shit hitting the fan. So Yuno's
master plan is to keep winning and resetting time so she can win and be with Yukki again and again? That is respectably batshit. Self-imposed groundhog day and all.

I'm going to be pretty disappointed if this ends in a way that isn't entirely crazy.

Where did you get that form? I thought shes only doing it again so that she can get it to the point where she could try to win in such a way that she and Yuki survive? Well I thought that was what the plan was.

Branduil

I think you misunderstand. The sponsors who wanted the show to air weren't Bandai Visual. Bandai Visual is simply the home video distributor for the series. They simply opted not to go through with the home video release at the time. I'm sure if it were up to Bandai, they would probably have canned it instead of putting in more money. :p

Ah, okay. Seems like if the sponsors wanted them to release it, they should have delayed it.

duckroll

Ah, okay. Seems like if the sponsors wanted them to release it, they should have delayed it.

Research indicates that some VC company of some sort called World Business Enterprise was probably responsible for this horror. It is to no one's surprise that this company has since gone out of business and their website is dead. Lol.

iammeiam

Where did you get that form? I thought shes only doing it again so that she can get it to the point where she could try to win in such a way that she and Yuki survive? Well I thought that was what the plan was.

I might have missed something, but I thought
she said she wanted one good day with him before flipping out and trying to axe-murder him? Since she knows she can't bring him back, I figure the only reason she'd want him dead is to guarantee her win so they can do it again?

Thoraxes

Ano Natsu de Matteru FINAL

Remon confirmed for best character of Winter 2012.

Also, I was all happy till the very end
that manstealer Ichika came back (I assume), bastard.

Kanna 4 life.

Also, those connections!!! and just damn. I didn't think I was gonna get welled up a little, but I did when Kaito did that speech about how when people die they live on in your heart. The "breakup" scene I felt happy inside. This is what I get for liking the second best girl on the show.

I got pretty nostalgic when they started showing the unfinished film.

TAKE ALL MY MONEY! I want dat OST.

zeroshiki

Alot of manga have a lot of filler. Maybe they're skipping the filler-y parts and/or not doing certain arcs. I don't see how the volume count is any indication of quality one way or the other.

Hilarious. (though not for the poor workers involved, I'm sure!)

Thought the standard length for a noitamina series was 11 episodes. Well, I'm not complaining.

There have been some 12 episode noitamina shows, such as Paradise Kiss, Mononoke, Antique Bakery, and most recently House of Five Leaves.

trejo

Rinne 11-12

All I ever wanted out of this show was mecha and "friendship" so in that regard I am satisfied. Hopefully the second season will focus more on this and less on the other shit no one cares about.

And man, the people of Kamogawa are just real chill about everything.

Branduil

Brain Powerd 7

Brought to you by the power of high-quality animation:

itnb1MJmnjrRL.gif

iFsQtkvL1gVtN.gif

This whole episode was basically a fight scene. Unfortunately it was just as incomprehensible as the rest of the series. Absolutely zero attention was paid to staging the combatants in a logical manner or explaining what the stakes were. But that's pretty much par for the course. It ended up just being a bunch of badly-animated mecha that you can barely tell apart flying around in random directions and shooting their stupid-looking guns.

ibqDWsdEZR7dwB.jpg

iux6TMlm6P80y.jpg

Believe it or not, these lines still don't make any sense in context.
ibfCE0HG4MjOtU.jpg

What's with this pose? How can her body even bend like that?
ib2BpEvEWBYZiu.jpg

Oh unintentional humor, you are my only remaining friend.

Dead

well not really...yet
You know whats the funniest/saddest part about Brain Powered.

I bought the VHS tapes of the show (VHS!, You have any idea how expensive that shit was for anime? How the fuck did I come up with that kind of money?) when it first came out in the US in the tail end of the 90s, as well as imported the model kit. IIRC (my memory might be pretty hazy on this). Shit had some hype riding on it.

Had 2 or 3 of the tapes total I think, lol.

Branduil

You know whats the funniest/saddest part about Brain Powered.

I bought the VHS tapes of the show (VHS!, You have any idea how expensive that shit was for anime? How the fuck did I come up with that kind of money?) when it first came out in the US in the tail end of the 90s, as well as imported the model kit. IIRC (my memory might be pretty hazy on this). Shit had some hype riding on it.

Had 2 or 3 of the tapes total I think, lol.

Well why wouldn't it, it's from the creator of GUNDAM after all.

zeroshiki

I own 13 (14 if you count EoE) Evangelion VHS tapes. You guys complaining about prices have no idea the abuse we've had over the years.

EDIT: Also, wtf page 398. OT3 coming?

Dead

well not really...yet
I own 13 (14 if you count EoE) Evangelion VHS tapes. You guys complaining about prices have no idea the abuse we've had over the years.
I kinda miss those days. Walking into Suncoast, or Babbages, and checking out the latest VHS tapes and then the very first DVDs from Pioneer. Also, Protoculture Addicts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom