• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another episode 12

Reiko...no Ms. Mikami! No Reiko! Akazawa didn't need to die so brutally. She didn't need to die at all. But...didn't Kouichi kill his aunt? It sure looked like him. Then at the end...really? "Our friends died horribly, so let's go on a ferris wheel!" And really, and a MD?
I remember someone saying that the Another manga is more of a psychological/mystery story rather than Final Destination: the Anime. I wonder if
Kouichi murdering his aunt
was more significant in that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Or Will Smith.
Fresh Prince of Secret Base.

---

lh2Qgl.jpg

It's over. *sobs*

It's not like I liked anime anyway. Hmph.

/XX/

But haven't they been working on this for like.... quite some time now? Based on the rumors they would started production ages ago. What could have gone wrong?
I wonder myself, but their situation seems to be pretty tense... you only have to check Cédric Hérole (or Bambin, as I explained here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35654147&postcount=8802) posts to asses their situation; apparently, as of March, 9 they still didn't even handed to him some of the corrected parts of his animation work for the first episode (http://www.catsuka.com/interf/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5099&start=60).

If you're worried about KoikeLupin now, you're REALLY not going to want to hear what I have to say next. I read a report from the Lupin 40th Anniversary event last week, where they apparently said that right now they are only in production for episode 3 of the series. That sounds pretty terrible honestly, considering it airs in a week. :p
If that was really the case, why would they have the sort of stuff they had on the official page for the series, along with the nude key visual, and so on? The official site has a short interview with Yamamoto, where she literally says they're making an erotic and bold avant-garde series. She goes on to talk about how the Fujiko she envisions is a cool and crazy woman who loves sex and lives only for the moment.

I would say comments like that certainly... create preconceptions.
Oh dear.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ano Natsu de Matteru 12 -END-

l2u0D.jpg

Remon... So badass.

The perfect ending to the best series this season.

Dat final scene.

wonzo

Banned
Ano Natsu 12 END

Fuck yeah
MIB Remon owning it up as usual. While I'm glad it showed Ichika managed to make it back to Earth at the very end (typical) I'm kinda disappointed it didn't resolve any of the relationships with the other characters.
Still, this was a pretty good show in a rather disappointing and forgettable season. It's not only had the best ending of the season so far but it's also had the best character, Remon!

Kōji Yamamura: Kafka, A Country Doctor

I couldn't have imagined it any better myself.

If people are interested, I highly recommend they read the short story first. The short really brings the writing to life in weird and interesting ways.

http://records.viu.ca/~johnstoi/kafka/countrydoctor.htm
I have to give props to this short for making Kafka's short story even more incomprehensible.

Thoraxes

Rinne no Lagrange episode 12

Bye bye! Matte ne! Bye bye! Matte ne! *cries* God, this scene is a punch to the stomach. Don't need goggles for Madoka and Lan.

I didn't expect to have any feels in the last episode. They built that part up good because it was adorable and so cute, and then BAM!
If that was really the case, why would they have the sort of stuff they had on the official page for the series, along with the nude key visual, and so on? The official site has a short interview with Yamamoto, where she literally says they're making an erotic and bold avant-garde series. She goes on to talk about how the Fujiko she envisions is a cool and crazy woman who loves sex and lives only for the moment.

I would say comments like that certainly... create preconceptions.
Fund it!....

Oh wait a second...

Ano Natsu 12
Predictably they went pretty heavy on using elements from Please Teacher here. At least there was no pocky or
memory wipe
this time. I suppose the ending worked fine, though I'd have preferred something that wasn't identical to the first show.

duckroll

I wonder myself, but their situation seems to be pretty tense... you only have to check Cédric Hérole (or Bambin, as I said here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35654147&postcount=8802) posts to asses their situation; apparently, as of March, 9 they didn't even handed to him some of the corrected parts of his animation work for the first episode (http://www.catsuka.com/interf/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5099&start=60).

I don't understand how they could have started contributing in episode 1 and 4 way back in June 2011, and still not be done with episode 1 in March 2012. It really makes no sense.

I wonder myself, but their situation seems to be pretty tense... you only have to check Cédric Hérole (or Bambin, as I explained here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35654147&postcount=8802) posts to asses their situation; apparently, as of March, 9 they still didn't even handed to him some of the corrected parts of his animation work for the first episode (http://www.catsuka.com/interf/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5099&start=60).

Oh dear. Now I'm growing concerned again, that does seem awfully fishy. Also, it seemed weird for that PV to show off concept art and hardly any footage... guess it makes sense seeing as they've only done three episodes. Maybe it's to do with licencing? Getting everybody confirmed and on-board? Maybe it's had multiple revisions.

I'm hoping, praying this series is good. Please don't fuck this up.

Another 12 (end)
tumblr_m1ijcuICQP1r6yb53o1_500.png

Sums the whole anime.

I enjoyed the series even if it had a slow start but it picked up fast. Background imagery was its selling point as well as cool cast designs and intriguing setting and music. Enjoyable characters interactions and mystery throughout kept it fun. A bit intense in the blood department for me but I managed. Anamnesis is great. 7 / 10.

Favorite Character: Sakakibara, Mochizuki, Teshigawara
Worst Character: Head of Countermeasures, Teshigawaras friend
Best Scene:
Both scenes with glasses shattering, lightning striking umbrella
and the Dance scene.

Hopefully it gets dubbed and released in the Fall for at most 49.99...

Episode 12 was actually pretty great and shocking. Seeing how predictions turned out was a fun part, of course
I was dead wrong, but the shock of Reiko was baffling and actually pretty ingenious. I like when series do the unexpected. I thought my favs would die but they all made it, which was great. Some of the deaths were brutal but intense, glass from the lightning was pretty and that scene memorable.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Anonatsu 12 - I was completely satisfied with how this ended; goodbye boob alien, I'm going miss you, bring on SPRING!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Another episode 12

Reiko...no Ms. Mikami! No Reiko! Akazawa didn't need to die so brutally. She didn't need to die at all. But...didn't Kouichi kill his aunt? It sure looked like him. Then at the end...really? "Our friends died horribly, so let's go on a ferris wheel!" And really, and a MD?

It was 1998,
MDs were new technology and didn't wear down like an old cassette. Did you want it on vinyl?

duckroll

If they have really only completed 3 episodes by the time it starts airing, I think there is almost no hope. Even if the other 10 episodes are in various stages of completion, it doesn't seem like there is enough lead time at all. The season would run for 3 months, which is probably enough to complete maybe 3-4 episodes at best. Even then you have to consider the lead time. By the time episode 4 is due to air, that would have given them 3 weeks to finish ep4. But only 1 extra week to finish ep5, 2 extra weeks to finish ep6, etc.

I just don't see it, and it doesn't make sense at all. For a typical 13 episode series, you usually need about a 6 episode lead by the time the show starts airing, to give a solid buffer to complete the remaining episodes before they are due to air.

Oh dear. Now I'm growing concerned again, that does seem awfully fishy. Also, it seemed weird for that PV to show off concept art and hardly any footage... guess it makes sense seeing as they've only done three episodes. Maybe it's to do with licencing? Getting everybody confirmed and on-board? Maybe it's had multiple revisions.

I'm hoping, praying this series is good. Please don't fuck this up.
It has the writer of Black Rock Shooter (TV) and the director of Michiko to Hatchin, what could go wrong?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If they have really only completed 3 episodes by the time it starts airing, I think there is almost no hope. Even if the other 10 episodes are in various stages of completion, it doesn't seem like there is enough lead time at all. The season would run for 3 months, which is probably enough to complete maybe 3-4 episodes at best. Even then you have to consider the lead time. By the time episode 4 is due to air, that would have given them 3 weeks to finish ep4. But only 1 extra week to finish ep5, 2 extra weeks to finish ep6, etc.

I just don't see it, and it doesn't make sense at all. For a typical 13 episode series, you usually need about a 6 episode lead by the time the show starts airing, to give a solid buffer to complete the remaining episodes before they are due to air.

They can air some sketches and then finish it up for the BD.

Then it can't be true... surely they'd delay it? What would happen if they start airing on the 4th and can't keep up? Would they just end up cancelling it?

It has the writer of Black Rock Shooter (TV) and the director of Michiko to Hatchin, what could go wrong?

Don't do this to me. Don't. /rocks back and forth

Ultimadrago

Milky Holmes 7

*looks at clock* It's beach time already?!
N(looked upon kindly)FWork:http://i.imgur.com/a3EFy.jpg

Ha, I swear these girls have spoken on food for over five minutes in every episode thus far!
But if all I got were a potato a day, I would too.

The walkie-talkie scene transitions made me chuckle. If anything, for how random they felt.
N(looked upon kindly)FWork one: http://i.imgur.com/TwLmC.jpg
Dat eyecatch.

Okay, so I'm not getting this. Is the relationship between Phantom Thieves and Detectives hostile or more of a light-hearted rivalry?
Henriette seems to be one of the main thieves Milky Holmes kept an eye on in their "powered" detective days, but yet Henriette/Arsene never fails to help, understand and assist Milky Holmes. It's kinda confusing me. Either I'm taking the tension between the groups too seriously, or there's an underlying factor yet unexplained?
Ha, the Cordelia knockouts got me a bit. The
stripping scene
as well.
"Just Strip NORMAL, WOULD YOU?!

Also Cordelia is confirmed to be a batshit crazed delusional again. I love it!

Also coolio,
Nero got some powa back in this one. She's my fav Milky member thus far, so this pleases me.

Overall, fun episode with some typical beach elements.

Note: Yes, the NSFW's I put up aren't bad, but I'd rather take it safe just in case anyone's employer/employee/whoever saw it scrolled through.

Lain

Inu x Boku SS 3

Cute episode in its own right. I still can't seem to learn to remember the names of the characters in the show and I'm too lazy to go look them up, but I keep liking the main girl's personality, though I feel she should be proud of her ability to put such a front and tell assholes off like it's the easiest thing in the world.

When KoikeLupin fails and he successfully puts both Madhouse and TMS Entertainment out of business, where will Koike go next?

If this show ends up being a bust, it'll be a huge one considering the importance of the franchise involved. Couldn't you see it being big enough to be career-killing? And maybe not just for Koike.

Do you ever watch Shaft anime? Lol.

To be honest, I've only ever watched five or six different animes. I'm assuming they tend to do everything last minute and end up with rushed artwork?

I'm wondering how the old Lupin Part II series was done exactly. A lot of the episodes got passed between studios, some taking longer to complete their episodes than others. I assume there was a six or so episode gap with that too.

Averon

Are Remon and Ichigo actually the same person? If they are, she hasn't aged much, though I suppose there's still that standstill nonsense.

I really need to go back and watch the show because I don't remember a damn thing from it. After watching the episode again, it's implied these events takes place many years (25? 30?) after
Onegai Teacher
since the elder sister talked about their ancestors while
Mizuho's recorded message was playing

duckroll

To be honest, I've only ever watched five or six different animes. I'm assuming they tend to do everything last minute and end up with rushed artwork?

I'm wondering how the old Lupin Part II series was done exactly. A lot of the episodes got passed between studios, some taking longer to complete their episodes than others. I assume there was a six or so episode gap with that too.

When I say 6 episode gap, I'm referring to how many episodes are generally pretty much completed by the time a 13 episode series goes on air. For longer series, the buffer is also much larger if the production management at the studio is good. The reason for this is that While a 6 episode buffer is considered pretty good for a 13 episode series (since by the time you catch up on it the series is over), it would not work as well for a 26 episode series, since you will eat through the buffer by episode 15 or so at best, and it becomes extremely hard (impossible?) to finish one episode per week for another 11 weeks, even if you have 4 production teams working on rotation.

This is another reason why split-seasons are getting more and more popular in terms of making it easier for the production staff to not kill themselves. By airing 13 episodes first, and then taking a break, they are able to start airing a series with a shorter lead time, and once they hit the middle they can stop and take an airing break, while money is already rolling in from CD sales, DVD/BD sales, etc. Meanwhile the studio can continue working on the rest of the series and they have 3 months to buffer up for the next 13 episodes again.

I really need to go back and watch the show because I don't remember a damn thing from it. After watching the episode again, it's implied these events takes place many years (25? 30?) after
Onegai Teacher
since the elder sister talked about their ancestors while
Mizuho's recorded message was playing
The alien from Please Teacher was half-human, so there is some history of aliens and humans having children. It'd be weird if Please Teacher took place 30 years before Ano Natsu.

When I say 6 episode gap, I'm referring to how many episodes are generally pretty much completed by the time a 13 episode series goes on air. For longer series, the buffer is also much larger if the production management at the studio is good. The reason for this is that While a 6 episode buffer is considered pretty good for a 13 episode series (since by the time you catch up on it the series is over), it would not work as well for a 26 episode series, since you will eat through the buffer by episode 15 or so at best, and it becomes extremely hard (impossible?) to finish one episode per week for another 11 weeks, even if you have 4 production teams working on rotation.

This is another reason why split-seasons are getting more and more popular in terms of making it easier for the production staff to not kill themselves. By airing 13 episodes first, and then taking a break, they are able to start airing a series with a shorter lead time, and once they hit the middle they can stop and take an airing break, while money is already rolling in from CD sales, DVD/BD sales, etc. Meanwhile the studio can continue working on the rest of the series and they have 3 months to buffer up for the next 13 episodes again.

Makes sense. Sounds like you're right then. If the 3 episode thing is true, they are buggered. Hopefully they'll either delay it or scrap it all together (thought I can't see that happening this late in.) Rather have no new series than a terrible unfinished one...

Mein eyes! Yeah, that is terrible.

Ano Natsu END

A bit of a 'downer' ending even though it fits the whole summer thing well (He doesn't even get to bang the alien like in onegai sensei!).

Remon steals the show though. Shame that MiB3 will probably be dog shit.

iHPNZck1WJOQd.gif

ibxXfwXxPRlLaG.gif
ibzOLzMDCufzO3.gif

Best animes start and end with headtilts.

Aquarion 4

This show is my kind of dumb.

Branduil

Another 4

Final Destination: the anime

Too bad about the nurse, she totally had the hots for him too.

There was one point in the cafe where they had a long shot showing the entire seating are, and normally that kind of shot is an excuse for minimal animation, but I was impressed that they actually had people moving and talking in the background. You don't usually see that kind of effort in a TV show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Before the last episode Ano Natsu could have just been a re-imagining, but there
Mizuho from Please Teacher speaks about the events of the first show at the Lake she crash landed at.
I really can't remember the original show... but isn't she
allowed to stay? I seem to remember her mother appearing and giving them her blessing.

I really can't remember the original show... but isn't she
allowed to stay? I seem to remember her mother appearing and giving them her blessing.
She leaves and everyone gets their memories wiped. She comes back a year late and the main character remembers everything because of pocky.

duckroll

Makes sense. Sounds like you're right then. If the 3 episode thing is true, they are buggered. Hopefully they'll either delay it or scrap it all together (thought I can't see that happening this late in.) Rather have no new series than a terrible unfinished one...

The thing is, it just cannot be true. Even if Koike turns out to be the most incompetent animation director of all time, I find it highly unlikely that something which started production in mid-2011 at the latest, is this incomplete after 9 months.

I'm going to provide a silver lining here, and suggest that what the producer actually meant when they said they're in production for episode 3 now, is that they're recording the voices for episode 3 now, which is the near-end process for the production of an episode. This doesn't suggest that the other episodes are far from completion, just that they haven't entered the recording stage yet, which is done in a linear fashion, unlike the production on the actual animation. This means they could be well on schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom