• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2012 Anime Thread 2.22: You Can (Not) Outpost Cajunator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

On the other hand, a cynical take could be that they're running behind the production schedule and it's not a bunch of clips because they weren't finished yet.

This seems more difficult then that. If it wasn't created to be a trailer for this show it seems more likely that it would be a concept pitch. It just feels too well-crafted to be a slap-dash thing.

7Th

I kinda get the feeling that Koike Lupin's PV isn't showing much because they're afraid of the backlash from the family-friendly Miyazaki Lupin fans; they want the audience to watch the first episode without preconceptions.

duckroll

If you're worried about KoikeLupin now, you're REALLY not going to want to hear what I have to say next. I read a report from the Lupin 40th Anniversary event last week, where they apparently said that right now they are only in production for episode 3 of the series. That sounds pretty terrible honestly, considering it airs in a week. :p

Branduil

This seems more difficult then that. If it wasn't created to be a trailer for this show it seems more likely that it would be a concept pitch. It just feels too well-crafted to be a slap-dash thing.

Obviously that's just to convince us that everything is going just fine!

If you're worried about KoikeLupin now, you're REALLY not going to want to hear what I have to say next. I read a report from the Lupin 40th Anniversary event last week, where they apparently said that right now they are only in production for episode 3 of the series. That sounds pretty terrible honestly, considering it airs in a week. :p
Are we sure that SHAFT isn't involved in this?

Dresden

should get shaft to take over

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Crappy outsourcing time, SWITCH ON!

Instro

Maybe its a 12 episode 4 cour split.

Now that is a concern. Could Koike's perfectionism damage the show?

duckroll

I kinda get the feeling that Koike Lupin's PV isn't showing much because they're afraid of the backlash from the family-friendly Miyazaki Lupin fans; they want the audience to watch the first episode without preconceptions.

If that was really the case, why would they have the sort of stuff they had on the official page for the series, along with the nude key visual, and so on? The official site has a short interview with Yamamoto, where she literally says they're making an erotic and bold avant-garde series. She goes on to talk about how the Fujiko she envisions is a cool and crazy woman who loves sex and lives only for the moment.

I would say comments like that certainly... create preconceptions.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I guess the storybook-ish animation style takes a lot of time!

Cwarrior

Don't worry they can get ikuhara to come in and spam some reused animetion and some jpeg image slideshows to fill up the rest of the episodes.

7Th

If that was really the case, why would they have the sort of stuff they had on the official page for the series, along with the nude key visual, and so on? The official site has a short interview with Yamamoto, where she literally says they're making an erotic and bold avant-garde series. She goes on to talk about how the Fujiko she envisions is a cool and crazy woman who loves sex and lives only for the moment.

True enough; I'm just extrapolating my thoughts about Toei not doing what they usually do with Saint Seiya Omega's PVs: showing clips from the henshin/transformation bank footage for 15-30 seconds. I get the feeling they know that hardcore fans are going to be angry over the lack of totems.

duckroll

True enough; I'm just extrapolating my thoughts about Toei not doing what they usually do with Saint Seiya Omega's PVs: showing clips from the henshin/transformation bank footage for 15-30 seconds. I get the feeling they know that hardcore fans are going to be angry over the lack of totems.

My thoughts are a bit mix. I think you have a solid point about being afraid of too much backlash because of visual differences, but I also wonder if maybe they are really going a bit too far with the content and they find it hard to get good footage which would be... fit for public audiences. The key visual is already pushing it pretty far, but the show itself might be worse. I'm kinda imagining something like Kemonozume in my head honestly, and I'm not even sure if NTV can air stuff like that... so I dunno.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Another 12 (END):

ಠ_ಠ

Reiko? REIKO?!?!?!? AAAAAAAAAAAFHGHDHGDGHHdhgdh. I'm okay with the twist in the sense of it being "9-3's teacher was the extra person rather than a student". In fact, I had considered that this very thing was going to be the ultimate twist, however after Kubodera killed himself I didn't begin to suspect Ms. Mikami. Still, just so I don't make an ass of myself, the fact that Ms. Mikami and Reiko were the same person was the other part of the twist, right? I'd hate to think that it had been immediately established that they were the same person and I had somehow missed this.

If it WAS part of the twist, though, it was an incredibly silly thing to hide from the viewer for the entire series. All of that deception just for a few moments of extra anguish from Kouichi over having to kill his aunt? I would have been just as satisfied if the extra person had been Ms. Mikami and a separate person from Reiko.

Well, on the whole, the series didn't end nearly as tightly as I would have liked. I was expecting the death phenomenon to have some kind of connection to Yomiyama Misaki's death deeper than "it started happening after he died". Because there was never any dirty secret or foul play behind the death, it never made any sense for Misaki's death to result in such a terrible, grudging curse against Class 9-3. I had originally expected the show to have a heavy focus on Kouichi and Mei investigating the true nature of Misaki's death and bringing about an end to the phenomenon from the information they uncover. The show certainly opened strongly, but as several other people have complained, it discarded its own identity and just became Final Destination by the end. It was never a bad show, but it failed to realize its potential.

/XX/

There was present at their TAF booth a different storyboard from a pilot film, and it probably was already used for that pitch you comment (as the mentioned Mr. Koike one for Afro Samurai).

-Minsc-

I'm liking the preconceptions I'm having. More please.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Rurouni Kenshin: Shin Kyoto-Hen OVA:

Mari Okada strikes again. ;_; I'm going to list the negatives first, and then a couple positives.

Negatives:
1) They took a TON of liberties with the original story. I would think this was to try and cram as much into 45 minutes as possible, but then there's stuff that was just thrown in there that made me say "What the fuck?" (You'll know when you see it)
2) The artwork/animation aren't as good as the original TV series.
3) Again, this just can't be condensed into an OVA. It's too long and the whole thing suffers. I'd say it's for "fans only", but they're more likely to be pissed than not.

Positives:
1) The new renditions of TV series music are REALLY nice. Pulled on the ol' nostalgia strings
2) They found a good replacement for Saito's voice actor. Decent impersonation.

Dead

well not really...yet
Okay currently here are the shows from Spring 2012 I feel deserves an OT because of interest beyond just Animegaf:

Saint Seiya Omega
Lupin the Third - The woman named Fujiko
Eureka Seven AO
Kids on the Slope
AKB0048

Has anyone claimed the rights to make each OT yet? I think Dead is going to make the E7AO one, and I believe someone said 7th was going to do AKB0048? I'm claiming Kids on the Slope for myself, unless someone else claimed it earlier. I wouldn't mind doing Lupin either, unless someone else wants it. Maybe 7th is doing Saint Seiya Omega too? Not sure.

For Fate/Zero, we should just continue to reuse the existing OT, since it's a returning series.
If I make an OT for the show, when should I put it up? Don't want to do it too early.

/XX/

If I remember correctly, there was a similar comment expressed at the recent Lupin the night event, along with ones that stated they barely finished the promotional video in time (same one shown today) for it to be projected on said event (and some people there assumed it was a sloppy effort on their part for what they thought was placeholder music and a lack of footage).

duckroll

If I remember correctly, there was a similar comment expressed at the recent Lupin the night event, along with ones that stated they barely finished the promotional video in time (same one shown today) for it to be projected on said event (and some people there assumed it as an sloppy effort on their part for what they thought was placeholder music and a lack of footage).

But haven't they been working on this for like.... quite some time now? Based on the rumors they would started production ages ago. What could have gone wrong?

Instro

Ano Natsu 12

Are we sure Ano Natsu wasn't some sort of tie-in anime to Men in Black 3?

Anyway nice end to a nice show. I'm quite pleased with how good the series ended up being, one of the few highlights in an otherwise dull season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ano Natsu fin:

What a fantastic way to end the series. Unlike another certain show (
Angel Beats
) that tried to eat its cake and have it to, Ano Natsu pulled it off with a fairly soft touch that just made everything that happened feel earned.

If anything, it's exactly like the end of
Toradora
but without the dumb
melodrama

That said, the one thing that could have made it better was if they had somehow worked Secret Base in there... because, come on!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Mawaru-Penguindrum 18

AsO2l.jpg

Yeah, erm... This is... Ok.

Who the hell comes up with this stuff? Wow.

Dunno if I missed something or if this was mentioned already, but if Gintama ended on episode 252, why does Crunchyroll have episode 253 listed to come out in six days?

Toriko - 49

Gourmet World is some serious business. Toriko barely got past the starting line. o_O

Whoa, they're there already!? Oh shit, that's my favorite part of the series so far, especially since (spoiler by being a lack of something)
they STILL haven't gone back to the Gourmet World yet >:/

e_i

Another episode 12

Reiko...no Ms. Mikami! No Reiko! Akazawa didn't need to die so brutally. She didn't need to die at all. But...didn't Kouichi kill his aunt? It sure looked like him. Then at the end...really? "Our friends died horribly, so let's go on a ferris wheel!" And really, and a MD?

Rinne no Lagrange episode 12

Bye bye! Matte ne! Bye bye! Matte ne! *cries* God, this scene is a punch to the stomach. Don't need goggles for Madoka and Lan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom