• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

I dunno, it got #2 in the AOTY thread, that's pretty much a lot of people treating it like a serious work of art.

Literally accurate choice of words.

Please. People vote for AoTY not because they have AnimeGAF's Stick of Good Taste shoved up their asses, but because they liked the shows. A vote in AOTY doesn't mean "Oh yes this is a well written example of character development by jove eh wot" but "I liked this and had fun with it."

And even shit doesn't happen in Hyouka. The show is constipated in all senses of the word.

Czbhs12l.jpg

Haha

Tenumi

Banned
All this talk about AOTY reminded me of something....

I still need to start Pokemon XY, now that the dub is airing.

Branduil

Please. People vote for AoTY not because they have AnimeGAF's Stick of Good Taste shoved up their asses, but because they liked the shows. A vote in AOTY doesn't mean "Oh yes this is a well written example of character development by jove eh wot" but "I liked this and had fun with it."

And even shit doesn't happen in Hyouka. The show is constipated in all senses of the word.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but saying stuff isn't in the show is just objectively wrong.

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka 11

No.

You know what? Fuck this show.

Melodrama over a fucking shitty movie the girl never bothered to finish. Holy shit if I wanted lame ass, pointless, meandering, blathering arguments over fucking nothing I'd come into this thread and read my post history.

Fuck Hyouka. There has been no character development of any sort in 12 episodes now, and the addition of bullshit melodrama over a fucking home movie is, God I can't even think of a word strong enough to express my discontent with this boring, pointless, absurd, horrible, over rated piece of shit of a show.

Fuck KyoAni. Fuck them for dropping things like Full Metal Panic! to make SHIT like THIS.

and last of all, FUCK ME for not listening and thinking this show would ever improve. God I haven't wasted my time on a horrible show like this since at LEAST 00 Gundam.

Holy shit what a waste of my time this entire, awful, miserable piece of filth has been. Hotaro is deplorable, Chitanda is right there near the top of my list of most awful female characters in anime ever, Satoshi can go fuck himself with his bullshit Sherlockian vs Christie nonsense and Mayaka can call me when she wants to be in a show that doesn't suck as much as this.

FUCK.

seriously just skip ahead a few episodes to festival arc. Youll probably like it at least a little.

It's okay, it would be a boring world if everyone had good taste.

Thats not true. I dont think lower of you for liking Hyouka.

Quasar

Thats not how I either approach voting nor the results.

CorvoSol

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but saying stuff isn't in the show is just objectively wrong.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

This is my believing face.

Thats not how I either approach voting nor the results.

Then that's your problem, not mine, but by no means does a vote in the AOTY thread automatically imply people found a show to be high art.

Episode 11 is full of all of that, though. It has a lot of really important character development and suspense, coupled with really striking direction which handles all the reveals really well.

Not liking something is one thing, but I don't see how you can simply deny those aspects of that episode.

Narag

If that was the case, I'd have voted for Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

So intellectual enjoyment is now somehow a less valid form of enjoyment? Do you even realize what you're saying?

CorvoSol

If that was the case, I'd have voted for Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman.

So what, voting in the anime of the year thread is based solely on people's artistic interest in a show and not their enjoyment of it?

I don't and won't buy that for a minute.

So intellectual enjoyment is now somehow a less valid form of enjoyment? Do you even realize what you're saying?

I do, even if no one else does. Because what you're saying here is not what I have said.

Anyway, I can see how this is going, so I'm out for the night.

survivor

Banned
I really have a hard time imagining not liking episode 11 of Hyouka. That was such a magical, perfect episode, and the way that arc ended was just brilliant. Seeing everything get broken down was a chilling experience.

Actually, Corvo's posts are just making me remember how perfect Hyouka was.

Yep, the film arc ended in such a fantastic way. Houtarou getting played and the aftermath of solving the mystery, just so good.

So what, voting in the anime of the year thread is based solely on people's artistic interest in a show and not their enjoyment of it?

Are you saying that artistic interest doesn't involve enjoyment?

Personally, I find well written, thought provoking and well produced shows to be highly enjoyable. It's not like anyone is sitting around saying "wow, this is artistic, but I don't find it enjoyable". One leads to the other.

Narag

So what, voting in the anime of the year thread is based solely on people's artistic interest in a show and not their enjoyment of it?.

I'd argue enjoyment might go hand in hand with the quality. Also that a show can be well-made/good/etc but that I also might not like it despite these positive qualities the show might have.

Nobunagun 5
Seems like they heard me last week and wanted to prove me wrong by getting her cozy with the rest of the platoon. And Gaileo is really cute though a different kind of cute than Nobunagun. And when is Asao-san entering the story again? I really want to see that ship more

Soma

You two should know better than to stoop to such comments!

For the record, my comment wasn't intended as an insult.

I'm just saying that someone is willing to take a number of personal preferences despite how mediocre the result may be over good production values and subtle character introspection.The fact that someone isn't willing to pick up on the finer details of the show is troubling but you can't please them all, unfortunately. It's an anime that rewards patience and I guess that's just not his kind of show.

Man, you know you've been on the internet if you read the word "artistic" as "autistic". Quite a shame.

Get refreshed for tomorrow, yo

Midonin

Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works
Archer/Vice

After some consideration, and realizing that the new series in October will tie into the prequel, I've decided I will watch Fate/Zero. Just, in a little bit. I've got plenty of other series in my backlog, and want to jump across a bunch of different genres before I return to this world.

Though I was always planning on seeing the movie. If there's one thing I know from years of visual novel playing, it's that the Skip button is important. The ability to gloss over information already read and get to the new parts is a must, and this movie kind of had its own version of the skip button. The entire first three episodes of the TV show were compressed into a single montage. Though the entire thing was compressed, but it had its tradeoffs.

The first and most obvious one to notice is that it looked much better. The character models, the fluidity of the action scenes, even the small things like the effects when the Servants popped in and out of scene. Gilgamesh's new duds were classy, but he's still not the most pleasant person, I feel. On the other hand, I gained a whole lot of respect for Lancer. He may be aloof, but he's got a good conscience.

As for the story itself, while I had some idea of what to expect going in, things like
Saber becoming Rin's Servant, or Shinji having a more major role, including being the sacrifice for the Grail, not to mention Illya's gruesome death - these kinda shocked me.
The reason why I think Stay/night isn't so bad was the central point of this movie. Shiro's idea of being a hero, stubborn as it is, is repeatedly called out by everyone as messed up, up to and including
himself. Archer being what happens when that philosophy is turned into a lifelong goal. He said as much himself.
Sure, Shiro wins because he's the hero, but not without a fair bit of struggle to get there.

Though knowing this was the Rin route, Rin herself took a backseat to Archer at times, it felt like. The scene with her memories and her tsundere embarrassment afterwards was cute, but having her be kidnapped for part of the movie left not a lot of room for her magic. Part of a tradeoff for losing the daily life scenes, I suppose. I still have Prisma Illya Rin for that. (When is Drei going to be airing? I'm pretty hyped for it.)

Final Thoughts: I found the movie cohesive enough, and very nice to look at. The ending theme was a good listen, as well. Compressing one route of a VN into a 12-episode series is hard, let alone putting it into a movie. Quite a lot of fight and action scenes - and it's clear this movie was made for people who have at least some familiarity with the world, likely from the TV series, or elsewhere. I enjoyed it.

Yep, the film arc ended in such a fantastic way. Houtarou getting played and the aftermath of solving the mystery, just so good.

Indeed, the moment when everyone starts breaking down Oreki's thoughts is great, and that confrontation between him and Irisu is legendary.

What I think works so well about it is that not only was Oreki played, but his being played was also the audience being played, because we've been trained over the previous 10 episodes to think of Oreki as being this great genius who could solve anything if he just made an effort and believed in himself, so the viewer gets completely sucked in along with Oreki to Irisu's deception.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Next HappinessCharge! Precure episode details. Will leave it spoilered if you want to read (not that it'll matter shortly after). Reveals an aspect to the dress up thing.

Someone call Erika to have a heart to heart with Princess.

Quasar

Then that's your problem, not mine, but by no means does a vote in the AOTY thread automatically imply people found a show to be high art.

High Art? Well I couldn't consider 99% of media let alone anime to be high art. And generally things considered high art I have no interest in.

I tend to approach my voting as titles that are well made pieces of media that I liked and feel that others should be exposed to. Not the latest piece of escapism I enjoyed this week.

And I have been approach the results as a list of things a large community deems to be things its worth my time in investigate. Tsuritama and Kids on the Slope from last year being two great examples of this. Well made things that I never would have tried out if it wasn't for the vote.

Of course its a bit different this year for me. Last year I had only just started watching anime so the list was a great 'things to check out' list, event shows outside the ten. This year year though its a little less that and a little more barometer of the community versus me (with the result being that my tastes don't align with the community - at least this year).

Noragami 5

jg6ozaF.jpg

I really like this shot, the way the line on the floor emphasizes the distance, both in being and in mindset, between Hiyori and Yukine, in addition to connecting thematically with the episode's overall theme of the boundary line.

The comedy in this show is pretty good, but what I really like is when it goes into a darker mood. The somber, tense, terrifying atmosphere it gets out of scenes like the confrontation at the end is something that's rarely done as well as it is here. The design of the ayakashi, both visually and aurally, is so good.

Very curious to see what Sawashiro's character brings to the equation.

Silver Spoon S2 1-2

I liked the first season, but this is definitely a step up, with more interesting direction and layouts and tighter pacing and structure. The tone is set from the opening of the first episode, which goes through a really well edited montage of a day in the life, presenting the agricultural school routine that Hachiken has grown accustomed to. His dog is also pretty cute.

World Conquest 1

"Lincoln had potential, but his weakness was that he couldn't handle bullets."

Ha ha ha, what are you doing, show?

Geneijin

For the record, my comment wasn't intended as an insult.

I'm just saying that someone is willing to take a number of personal preferences despite how mediocre the result may be over good production values and subtle character introspection.The fact that someone isn't willing to pick up on the finer details of the show is troubling but you can't please them all, unfortunately. It's an anime that rewards patience and I guess that's just not his kind of show.
I know, hence, the exclamation!

As to the rest of your post, I'll just leave them at that. I don't want to instigate further.

Dresden

Indeed, the moment when everyone starts breaking down Oreki's thoughts is great, and that confrontation between him and Irisu is legendary.

What I think works so well about it is that not only was Oreki played, but his being played was also the audience being played, because we've been trained over the previous 10 episodes to think of Oreki as being this great genius who could solve anything if he just made an effort and believed in himself, so the viewer gets completely sucked in along with Oreki to Irisu's deception.

It's one of the most overt moments in the series, where a character is completely torn down and is made helpless for the first time in the show. The next one is Mayaka crying at the festival. ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom