• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter-Spring 2014 Anime |OT3| People incapable of guilt usually do have a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 4
The_Boredom_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_(anime).png
Thoughts during episode:

- Mikuru you are too nice. Declaring best girl right now. Love Haruhi for her antics but Mikuru is just the nicest person.
- "This episode goes something like this--" HAHAHA. It's impossible to not laugh to this show.
- Baseball game. Of course. It's Japan's national sport. Or that's what I would think if I went by anime and how much they mention or do something with baseball. -_-'
- Yes Haruhi! Tune out Kyon's descending voice of reason and boredom. We don't need that.
- I grin when Haruhi grins. :3
- Haruhi went for the ear. I repeat, Haruhi went for the ear.
- Lol. Everyone's happy faces.... then Kyon.
- Haruhi is very forward. No please or thank you's. I love it!
- Yes Haruhi. Mikuru's body is at your disposal to get your way. :p
- Ahahahaha. It's too much. Lol.
- She's like a small child. Both Mikuru and Haruhi. This is so entertaining now that it's more coherent!
- Kyon to rescue! :/
- Kyon's sister is adorable.
- HAHAHA. Haruhi is riding Kyon about
bringing his sister
- Lol. Haruhi taunting the other team.
- This ragtag group of a baseball team is just too funny.
- That ponytail comment by Haruhi and her getting upset makes so much more sense now. I should've been watching it in chronological order from the beginning.
- So like always, this is Kyon's fault.
- Lol. What cheaters. If Kyon pulled his weight that wouldn't need to happen.
- I like you Haruhi.

Summary:

So like every episode Haruhi's mood determines
the fate of the world
. Kyon decides to be uncaring in the episode, which you would think he would stop doing after what he's witnessed and what's at stake but he does regardless. He realizes, once again, mid episode that he should be more serious but the other members of the SOS Brigade pick up the slack for him by basically
cheating

For all the other reasons I love this show Kyon isn't one of them. His commentary is amusing at times but his character is quite off-putting and waits until things are at their worst before deciding to do something about it. I get the whole "wanting him to be different" and "that's just the way he is" talk but honestly you would think this guy would learn what is at stake with his serious attitude problem. He's snarky for all the wrong reasons.

Anyways. This was another solid episode with laughs thanks to all the other characters in this show.

k0SDLU6.gif

Who knew that the Phoenix Wright clone would be one of the better characters in this series. His family is also absolutely adorable. Such a happy couple and cute daughter.

Neptunia OVA

Welp, this re-opened the Neptunia fan in me. It made me remember that I needed to buy the Season 1, so I got it on Xbox Video. And I'm currently stuck listening to the OST on loop.

I really enjoyed that they went back and re-brought in Peashy and Plutia considering how much of a harsh ending it was at that episode with Peashy just remembering who Neptune was right before she was teleported away without the chance to say goodbye. When Neptune and Peashy we're re-united I managed to produce a "Daawww".

Even better, was at the end because of Neptune's Neptuniness, she managed to accidentally create a permanent Trans-dimensional portal so that they can go see each other anytime. Really hoping this show gets a season 2

KtSlime

And with that episode of Haruhi Suzumiya, following chronological order, I must now go into season 2 episode 1. Lol.

What episodes have you watched? If you don't know much about the story I recommend going via the airing order, the show is much better that way, although it makes less sense.

Oh and Mikuru is a home-wrecker.

Gazoinks

Mushishi S2 2

Wow, this was a fantastic episode. One of the best of the series, I think.

As other have said, it was cool how the mushi played a relatively small role. This was a very human-focused story, about forgiveness and the need to rely on others, and it was moving. Also had some great visuals and direction, the last scene in particular was beautiful.

Visually, I really like the hatching they've been using for shading since the special. Gives the art a bit more texture, very nice touch.

What episodes have you watched? If you don't know much about the story I recommend going via the airing order, the show is much better that way, although it makes less sense.

Oh and Mikuru is a home-wrecker.

I have found the opposite to be true. I watched it in airing order up till episode 13 and had a miserable time and subsequently dropped it. This time I am watching it in chronological order and it is much more enjoyable with some important comments and jokes sticking out better because of the chronological order I am going in.

I have watched The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part I-VI, The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya and I am currently watching episode 1 of season 2 with Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody.

And Mikuru is adorable and will never recover from Haruhi's abuse.

Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou 02

I'm liking the interactions between the characters here. It's pretty fun and I'm liking the presentation of this show with the colors and reaction faces.

Jex

Basically, half the population wants us to become professional reviewers in order to enjoy our hobby. The other half is all like, "No U."

I don't think anyone thinks that. People would, however, like to see a slightly better level of discourse with slightly more courtesy being shown to fellow posters.

Jex

That reminded me of this:

So good. Need that writer to write the blurb for everything I watch.
Here's a couple of blurry "good ones" I snapped

To be clear, that Patlabor one reads "When there are Criminal Minds on the loose and Unsolved Mysteries to be solved, it's time for Goto's Angels to start Breaking Bad".

Can I get paid to do this?

Haha, these are amazing, thank you. Marketing really is a little sad sometimes.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Gochuumon wa Usagi Desuka - 01

I don't know why but this remind me of ...kirino mosaic

Also anime logic :

Anyway , this anime is going to be quite difficult to stay calm with , the 3 girl are inherently Skill focused and their chemistry is quite good.

8.5/10 Must watch.

I got the same Kiniro vibes too. Will be a good substitute for this season.

KtSlime

I have found the opposite to be true. I watched it in airing order up till episode 13 and had a miserable time and subsequently dropped it. This time I am watching it in chronological order and it is much more enjoyable with some important comments and jokes sticking out better because of the chronological order I am going in.

I have watched The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part I-VI, The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya and I am currently watching episode 1 of season 2 with Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody.

And Mikuru is adorable and will never recover from Haruhi's abuse.

Ah, when I watched it I really enjoyed the confusion (I hadn't read the books and watched them as they aired, admittedly I almost didn't go back after watching episode 0) and the moment of clarity when it was revealed why things were going the way they were. After episode 13 yeah I suppose watching in chronological order is preferable. Don't forget to watch The Disappearance. It's probably the best out of the work KyoAni did.

wonzo

Banned
Puchimas!! 7-9

puchimasus28.jpg

This show's way better when they just focus on the Puchidols and no-one else.

Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 1

inugaminekoyama1.jpg

well this was garbage

Gazoinks

Knights of Sidonia 1

This CG is not quite doing it for me. The models themselves are fine, and the show actually has pretty strong art direction. I like the design of the suits, it conveys the sterile but decaying feel well, and there were some really good backgrounds. But the animations... The animations are the sticking point. They're just so stiff and choppy, everything moves like an animatronic and it's kind of jarring. Hopefully it'll either improve or I'll stop noticing eventually.

Story-wise I don't feel like I have much to say yet. It was a relatively typical sci-fi mech setup, and as such we don't really know anything about what's going on. We're introduced to our protagonist, who's currently uninteresting but hopefully he asserts a personality. We're introduced to our obvious love triangle. We're introduced to our obvious asshole rival. We're introduced to the world. That was probably the highlight for me. They did a nice job of making the world seem fairly intriguing and making me want to know more about it, without going in for long awkward info dumps.

Right now I could see this show going either way, quality-wise, but I'll keep watching and hope it goes well. Has anyone read the manga?

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka joins The Tatami Galaxy on my entirely pessimistic list of series that I'd pay big monies for western blu-rays of, but will probably never see.

The Tatami Galaxy not coming I can understand. Hyouka I won't.

*Girlock Holmes would be the grossest misrepresentation of the series. I actually wouldn't buy that even if it was available.

yeah you would buy it, else be part of the problem.
id buy it regardless. Might change the cover and crop out the right half.

One more thing before I run back through the thread: full sales list for March 31 - April 6:

http://www.someanithing.com/?p=1200

Updated Winter Vol.1 Rankings (not necessarily representative of long-term series sales due to possible ticket effects, etc.)

Mikakunin with the flawless victory! Nisekoi right behind. Shaft shows sell.

It's because we STILL DON'T HAVE A NEW FUCKING THREAD FUCK YOU DUCKROLL FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

Too tsun

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Let it be known that Firehawk has dodged Utena for what is approaching a half a decade:
God, I don't know if I can go back to the 80s. :lol
I will say, random exploring got me Planetes and Aria. I'll just have to set some time for backlog and just bite the bullet. Bebop and Utena would be on the top of that list for sure.
On January 20, 2009, Barack Obama became the first black president of the United States. A year later, firehawk12 would put Cowboy Bebop and Revolutionary Girl Utena on the top of his backlog.

It is now 2014, halfway through Obama's second term as President. We have seen landmark advancements of civil rights for gays, a flawed but extant national healthcare system, a slow but steady recovery from the economic crisis of 2008, and the opening shots, but not really, of a new Cold War.

Firehawk12 STILL has yet to watch Revolutionary Girl Utena.

KtSlime

Let it be known that Firehawk has dodged Utena for what is approaching a half a decade:

On January 20, 2009, Barack Obama became the first black president of the United States. 2 months later, firehawk12 would put Cowboy Bebop and Revolutionary Girl Utena on the top of his backlog.

It is now 2014, halfway through Obama's second term as President. We have seen landmark advancements of civil rights for gays, a flawed but extant national healthcare system, a slow but steady recovery from the economic crisis of 2008, and the opening shots, but not really, of a new Cold War.

That's just shameful.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

On January 20, 2009, Barack Obama became the first black president of the United States. 2 months later, firehawk12 would put Cowboy Bebop and Revolutionary Girl Utena on the top of his backlog.

Meanwhile, I got caught up on Justified, Friday Night Lights, and Breaking Bad. Seems like a fair trade!

Enron

Banned

So basically the world's gotten worse since that time. Maybe you should fucking watch it firehawk, before we all die in a nuclear fireball.

Jex

On January 20, 2009, Barack Obama became the first black president of the United States. A year later, firehawk12 would put Cowboy Bebop and Revolutionary Girl Utena on the top of his backlog.

firehawk's going to get to it right after he finished making Duke Nukem Forever.

Bringing politics into it is literally the worst thing ever. If my parents taught me anything it's: "Never bring up politics or religion when not needed or being discussed."

Basically you just unlocked Pandora's box. :p

sonicmj1

Look, in the 35,448 hours since that post, he can't possibly be expected to have found the thirteen hours it would have taken to watch Utena to completion.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S2 - 1
Thoughts during episode:

- This looks.... different....
- "Brigade Leader -- Haruhi Suzumiya" I get a kick out of when they put her in the credits.
- Do the school bells in every Japanese High School make that same sound or just every Kyoto Animation anime?
- Everything feels off. This new "updated" art is bugging me.
- Haruhi's comment on Kyon's
wishes
was funny.
- Lol. Haruhi's
wishes
- Awwwww. Mikuru. How can anyone say no to that face?
- That makes 3 times Kyon has said "so cute" in the episode.
- "Really? Really." Mikuru is even adorable when she's serious.
- Why does everyone like Kyon?!
- Lol. Kyon seriously considering it.
- Gasp! No way. AWESOME!!!
- LOL. Yup
that's Haruhi
- Ah Ha! So it was Kyon!
- Was he the one to
plant all these idea's into her head
?
- Also they keep mentioning people from other dimensions but yet for some reason we haven't meet anyone like that. Yet the other three types do exist and are even apart of the cast. That's a bit strange.
- I shouldn't laugh when Mikuru is crying but for some reason it's hilarious.
- Nagato.... that was cool. Like a magic trick.
- Hehehe. Haruhi being all melancholy.
- This ED is super cool--- OH JEEZ. I AM GOING INTO A SEIZURE!!

Summary:

Well I think I got used to the cleaner art by the end of it. I kind of got engrossed into everything that was happening mid episode. The
time travel
aspect was really cool and I love how they
met the younger Haruhi
. I also like how he's the one who might've put the
idea's into Haruhi's head with the decisions she makes now
. What Nagato did when
Mikuru and Kyon were trapped in that time was super cool
. The new ED was cool until it gave me an epileptic seizure.

I really dig this episode. Next time I come back to Season 2 it will be the endless eight so I look forward to seeing that and possibly regretting that I did. :p

Jex

PhsychoNinja is ANN writer?

See now this is what I'm talking about, even if this isn't a serious. It just comes off as a pretty dumb attempt to slight another poster that's built on the assumption that everyone thinks ANN writers are awful.

It's just not necessary or helpful. If you disagree with someone's reading of a particular show than respond to that. If you simply don't share the same tastes as someone else then there's not really anything interesting that you can say about that because everyone has different tastes in terms of what they enjoy.

See now this is what I'm talking about, even if this isn't a serious. It just comes off as a pretty dumb attempt to slight another poster that's built on the assumption that everyone thinks ANN writers are awful.

It's just not necessary or helpful. If you disagree with someone's reading of a particular show than respond to that.

You know it's funny... I get more offended about someone that attacks me for my opinion then someone who just takes weird pot shots at me for no discernible reason. Pot shots I can usually roll off of and turn it into a joke. Or at least I try.

Also he spelt psycho wrong. So...

Jex

You know it's funny... I get more offended about someone that attacks me for my opinion then someone who just takes weird pot shots at me for no discernible reason. Pot shots I can usually roll off of and turn it into a joke. Or at least I try.

Also he spelt psycho wrong. So...

I assumed he was just going for the traditional spelling.

Anyway, it's expected that on a forum other people will challenge you on your opinions and comments. It's not expected or acceptable to simply slight other posters. It's even in the TOS:

NeoGAF is a forum for holding civil, evidence-based discussion. Do not post disingenuously, or in an inflammatory manner for the sole purpose of upsetting others.

Has anyone read the manga?

I'm familiar with it. It's.... erm. Interesting I guess? Like everything screams out-of-the-box but then you have typical anime shit. Like physical violence ala "protagonist no ecchi!!!!" and also harem hijinks. By no means is it a harem or a comedy. Which is why it's a bit jarring they decided to add these bits. Also the look of the manga isn't much different in its simplicity to that of the anime. The 3D might've been a good choice, since all the faces of the characters are so simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom