• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection releasing on June 6

Banned
we’ve also added 28 licensed music tracks from famous musical artists. Pilot your favourite ships to killer tunes from Swedish House Mafia, Chemical Brothers

I hope this doesn't mean they've taken out any of the old music... I'd rather take out the 28 new music tracks they added and I havent even heard them yet

So just to be clear on preorders:

- Retail gets 4 static themes (at least at Amazon)
- PSN gets an exclusive dynamic theme, 4 PSN avatars, plus an exclusive new ship?

I'm irritated at this trend of PSN getting exclusive items. I get that Sony wants us all on digital, but locking an exclusive ship behind it? Ugh. I guess I know which version I'm buying.

So far in WipEout I suck eventually when I hit a certain difficulty speed and can't progress (there are 5 speed tiers, right? I think I start sucking at 4), but it's just so much fun until that point at least!

I don't think I've really played a WipEout since one of the PSP ones (got it free from Sony as an apology for when they got hacked or something like that) and I really loved it. Got the Vita one free with PS+ and liked it, but didn't play much of it. Since I skipped the PS3 one, this collection is going to be amazing for me.

I almost bought Fast Racing RMX, but I've played enough racing games to know just from videos whether I'll like a game or not, and I was getting a lot of warning signals that I wouldn't like it. I can wait another 2 months for a great racing game, its been a LONG time since I played a racing game I really loved.

- PSN gets an exclusive dynamic theme, 4 PSN avatars, plus an exclusive new ship?

I'm irritated at this trend of PSN getting exclusive items. I get that Sony wants us all on digital, but locking an exclusive ship behind it? Ugh. I guess I know which version I'm buying.

where do you see this about a new ship?

dracula_x

where do you see this about a new ship?

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...tion/cid=EP9000-CUSA05670_00-WIPEOUTPREORDPSN

UNDER THE HOOD
• Challenge friends in 8-player online races, or in classic 2-player offline split screen.
• Fly to an all-new soundtrack featuring electronic beats from Swedish House Mafia, The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers and DJ Kentaro.
• Bonus ship.
• Digital Artbook.
• Enhanced with PS4™ Pro.

edit: I guess "bonus ship" is included in retail version too.
and it seems, the only pre-order bonus in UK Store is dynamic theme

Pre-order now to get an exclusive WipEout dynamic theme for your PS4™.

Koopatrol

Yup, pretty irritating. I cancelled my Amazon pre-order of Gravity Rush 2 and pre-ordered on PSN instead for the avatars.

Anyway, can't wait for this. Loved HD Fury but never played 2048, so I'm excited!

I'm going digital. Bit disappointed at the PSVR support omission; after Dirt Rally VR I'm sure it could have worked, but would probably need a lot more work than a remaster. I'll have to live with dynamic <4k 60 FPS on a 55" HDR TV. Guess I'll live!

I've&#8203; bought and loved every Wipeout game (Fusion was a stretch, but even that), except for 2048. I couldn't justify a Vita, so this is going to be 1/3 new to me.

Not too bothered about the included music as I'll probably Spotify. There's an official Sony Wipeout playlist and I might recreate my PS3 custom playlist. Always needs to have PETROL by Orbital as it reminds me of playing the original, many years ago.

Pogonip

Neo Member
Instantly pre-ordered. Will try for the Platinum again too provided the online trophies aren't total crap (ex. Bling Brigade in HD, All Gold Medals for the 200+ online "events" in 2048)

The dynamic skin looks great (applied it immediately), although I agree that something more like Fury HD's main menu would make for much more badass skin.

Melchiah

Love the theme, and the fact it comes with digital art. The price seems a bit steep though. Now, all I need to know whether it features supersampling or not.

Jonnax

4 player split screen? They need to do this. Like seriously.

Edit:

Watched the video. It says 2 player only.

Boo. This is totally just increasing some sliders isn't it?

edit: I guess "bonus ship" is included in retail version too.
and it seems, the only pre-order bonus in UK Store is dynamic theme

The US PSN store says:

Wipeout Omega Collection from the PlayStation Store includes:
- Game
- New Wipeout Omega Collection racing ship
- 4 PS4 avatars

(pre-order for dynamic theme)

That wording has me pretty sure the ship is a PSN exclusive. It's not listed on Amazon, nor is the dynamic theme.

I hope this doesn't mean they've taken out any of the old music... I'd rather take out the 28 new music tracks they added and I havent even heard them yet

They might have because of music licencing but I'm sure the new music will be great too, most Wipeout soundtracks are normally good.

Jeels

Is this going to be like the KH collections where the games are separates out by a splash screen menu?

It would be great if all the tracks, etc were available like it was always one game.

Is this going to be like the KH collections where the games are separates out by a splash screen menu?

It would be great if all the tracks, etc were available like it was always one game.
They've said it's separate, unfortunately

I do hope there is some kind of weird cross game playlist (be it online or whatever)

Buzzy42

Neo Member
Day 1 for me. Strongly prefer physical although for this game I like the idea of digital for always available. I'll probably end up double-dipping (triple? since this already the second time buying these games) when whichever version of the game I didn't buy goes on sale...

The US PSN store says:

That wording has me pretty sure the ship is a PSN exclusive. It's not listed on Amazon, nor is the dynamic theme.

Okay, maybe I was wrong. Either I missed this on the Amazon page or they updated it:
Wipeout Omega Collection includes: Remastered Game; NEW Van Uber racing ship; 4 PS4 Avatars (Feisar, Quirex, Auricom, AG-Sys).

So it looks like both PSN and retail include the new ship and the PS4 avatars. The difference is the PSN version has the dynamic theme as a preorder, whiel Amazon's preorder includes 4 static themes.

Melchiah

Okay, maybe I was wrong. Either I missed this on the Amazon page or they updated it:

So it looks like both PSN and retail include the new ship and the PS4 avatars. The difference is the PSN version has the dynamic theme as a preorder, whiel Amazon's preorder includes 4 static themes.

Does the retail version include art book, like the digital does? That, and the convenience sways me towards digital. If I'll be playing this as much as the PS3 version, it's better without having to use a disc every time.

Played a wipeout game once. Couldn't turn a single corner without crashing into the railing. Quit after 40 minutes and never looked back.

Funny story: this was me when I got the first Wipeout in 1996. The only reason I didn't quit was because I just had this and Ridge Racer to play on my PS1, so at some point it was either git gud or only play Ridge Racer for god knows how long. It took a while to crack that first corner, and way longer to finally win the full championship, but by that point I was hooked.

I wonder sometimes if I would love Wipeout as much as I do now if I'd found it much later in life, when time is at a premium and I have so many games at my disposal.

BigEmil

How many tracks were in the originals combined?

Not sure but this got me wondering does this include the Wipeout HD Fury DLC pack
"An expansion pack for Wipeout HD entitled Wipeout HD Fury was released on the PlayStation Store worldwide on 23 July, 2009. The pack consists of eight new tracks, 13 new ship models, and three new game modes: Eliminator, Zone Battle, and Detonator. The add-on also includes a new 80-event campaign mode, a redesigned menu interface, 13 new Trophies, and six new music tracks. Four of the new tracks included in the Fury pack are from the PlayStation Portable Wipeout games (The Amphiseum, Talon's Junction, and Tech De Ra from Wipeout Pulse; Modesto Heights from Wipeout Pure) and include accompanying "reverse" tracks. The remaining four tracks in the expansion pack (Pro Tozo, Mallavol, Corridon 12, and Syncopia) are taken from Wipeout Pure and are playable exclusively in Zone, Zone Battle, and Detonator events."
http://wipeout.wikia.com/wiki/Wipeout_HD

Bishop89

giphy.gif
Was Coming to say the same thing lol

My eyes will melt on that day

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I hope this game does well enough for Sony to develop a real deal sequel. Imagine a game built from the ground up for the PS4? Shit I think eyeballs might skip the melting process and just straight up pop. Turn on HDR and your soul is gonna burn.

I can confirm that the dynamic theme, visually, is excellent.
My only nitpick being I would've preferred they just use the HD fury title music.

Love the work you guys put into your own, it looks and sounds fabulous!

"Exceeder" better be on the soundtrack.

Oh man, you're so right. But I could say that about most of the songs in the games! I want my Steady Rush, Aerodynamic, Just Hiss, Le Night Dominator etc!

No lies detected. If this menu music is not in the game in say way or form, I will not be getting rid of my PS3. I'll boot that bastard up and listen to that bass all day.

Day 1. Wish there was a steelbook or vinyl collectors edition. :/

Especially with the renowned status the games have for their soundtracks. Seems like a perfect opportunity to follow up one of the first games to have their soundtrack released on vinyl (WipEout 2097) with a new compilation.

It would be awesome if this game just became a platform. For example, they could put out an expansion pack that is just all the tracks from the PSP games and they could put out dlc that is just the soundtracks from those games. Then if Wipeout Fusion ever comes to PS4 owning that game would unlock a Wipeout Fusion track pack in this collection. Basically, I would love this to just become EVERY Wipeout game.

I'd love to see a DLC pack down the road with more remastered tracks! Pure had godlike DLC support (at least in EU), I would be over the moon being able to experience those again.

So excited to pick this up and revel in WipEout again, finally! Thanks for throwing us a bone Sony, I'll buy it digital for the theme and extras and also physical because I love this series so much. Hope it gets enough interest to warrant a potential new title! That'd be my dream come true.

Top Bottom