• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Upcoming Xbox One Patch To Include 30 FPS Lock

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have barely played my PS4 version because I was waiting for all this stuff to get sorted out. Is the PS4 version not getting a 30FPS lock?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Personally, I'd rather have slightly lower resolution and more stable frame rate. On either console.
It's only a few areas that have issues on PS4. I'd rather have a higher res 100% of the time (I'm sensitive to non-native res) instead of lowering to avoid drops in specific situations that make up a tiny percentage of the experience.

Dropping res wouldn't be a good solution on PS4. We'll just have to see what CDPR does in the long run.

Gurish

Personally, I'd rather have slightly lower resolution and more stable frame rate. On either console.
It's not really slightly though, more than 30% is significant, some however would still prefer the better FPS, I personally care about visuals more and the PS4 version runs good enough to me, I'm just not as sensitive as others to dips.

It's only a few areas that have issues on PS4. I'd rather have a higher res 100% of the time (I'm sensitive to non-native res) instead of lowering to avoid drops in specific situations that make up a tiny percentage of the experience.

Dropping res wouldn't be a good solution on PS4. We'll just have to see what CDPR does in the long run.

Dynamic resolution might help in the PS4's case. It would be at 1080p most of the time in that case at least.

No, it really doesn't. Just look at the DF comparison.

During the comparison it was basically above 30fps the whole time. Only dropping to 29 fps 3-4 times during a ride through a town. The only other drops in the comparison video are during cutscenes where they both hit the low 20s.

This is the Ps4 v x1 article.

I had been playing in Novigrad before the patch hit, downloaded it, went back to playing. I can say that the difference is like night and day. Absolutely amazing, even more so once you venture outside of Novigrad. Well done CDPR!

Conduit

Banned
It's not really slightly though, more than 30% is significant, some however would still prefer the better FPS, I personally care about visuals more and the PS4 version runs good enou0996036363gh to me, I'm just not as sensitive as others to dips.

Just saw BlimBlim's video. Where Xbone performed better than PS4 version ( patch 1.03 ) in Griffin video? You mentioned difference in CPU's, but framerates are the same. Just curious.

Caddle

For those one the Xbox one using an external drive reduce the load times significantly. I purchased the collective mind gaming hub external hard drive add-on along with a 7200 rpm drive. After dying the load time is about 8 seconds.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It has a cap already. It just has bigger FPS dips at this point, it seems.

It seems from what source? The only like for like video shows both at 30. Is there any comparison in the later parts of the game with the new patches?

omonimo

Banned
During the comparison it was basically above 30fps the whole time. Only dropping to 29 fps 3-4 times during a ride through a town. The only other drops in the comparison video are during cutscenes where they both hit the low 20s.

This is the Ps4 v x1 article.
Ps4 it's quite stable in normal conditions. It becomes terrible when wind physics it's very intense in the vegetation because raining or there is a storm. I noticed that more than time. Especially in the swamp area. If I can say, it seems this issue it's more caused when tons of physics stuff it's in action. Still I'd like to see how change on xbone. I'm not expect drastic fps improvement, in all honesty. The major issue it's just that. Still I'm surprise to haven't heard anything about xbone users because it seems quite improbable to me game it's steady in such situations.

Noobcraft

Ps4 it's quite stable in normal conditions. It becomes terrible when wind physics it's very intense in the vegetation because raining or there is a storm. I noticed that more than time. Especially in the swamp area. Still I'd like to see the same stuff in action on xbone. I'm not expect drastical fps difference in all honesty. The major issue it's just that. Still I'm surprise to haven't heard anything about xbone users because it seems quite improbable to me game it's steady in such situations.
If you're talking about the swamp, I can't speak for post patch but prepatch it ran pretty well. I had a bug where the framerate took a nosedive until I restarted the game (it had been suspended for ~24 hours) but it runs well otherwise. I can make a video running around the swamp if anyone's interested.

omonimo

Banned
If you're talking about the swamp, I can't speak for post patch but prepatch it ran pretty well. I had a bug where the framerate took a nosedive until I restarted the game (it had been suspended for ~24 hours) but it runs well otherwise. I can make a video running around the swamp if anyone's interested.
It's not just the swamp area which cause this issue. Game it's absolutely fine without intense wind physic effects in the vegetation, there. But with the combination of intense wind effect in the vegetation, fps becomes really terrible. I started to notice it because it wasn't just the rain effects, it happened also with the simple wind storm.

There would be no economic benefit to do it.

You're probably right, although I don't know what kind of heroics would be involved in re-working a game for DX12. I know it can be a real pain to backport changes in the networking equipment world, but that's a different beast.

I wonder if a big non-DLC/expansion patch has ever caused a brief bump in sales. Hmm.

TheYanger

It's not just the swamp area which cause this issue. Game it's absolutely fine without intense wind physic effects in the vegetation, there. But with the combination of intense wind effect in the vegetation, fps becomes really terrible. I started to notice it because it wasn't just the rain effects, it happened also with the simple wind storm.

yeah the xbox version hasn't had that problem. I love watching the trees bending intensely in the storms when it's a heavily wooded area.

omonimo

Banned
yeah the xbox version hasn't had that problem. I love watching the trees bending intensely in the storms when it's a heavily wooded area.
Sorry but I believe when I see a concrete fps analysis. Because even for different users ps4 has no problem. Oh it happens in Velen in particular in the Swamp, with some Npc in combination with more intense weather effects.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Never seen this happen on PS4. Really strange how some things are causing more framerate issues for some than others. I'm generally pretty perceptive in reference to framerate and the movement of the wind in foliage has impressed me with the performance during it. I only get sustained drops in storms, the bog, and around the fires in Novigrad. I really hope CDPR can figure out the variance. I feel really lucky.

omonimo

Banned
Never seen this happen on PS4. Really strange how some things are causing more framerate issues for some than others. I'm generally pretty perceptive in reference to framerate and the movement of the wind in foliage has impressed me with the performance during it. I only get sustained drops in storms, the bog, and around the fires in Novigrad. I really hope CDPR can figure out the variance. I feel really lucky.
Novigrad it's fine to me. But Velen it's terrible with different npc and intense weather effects combined.

TheYanger

Sorry but I believe when I see a concrete fps analysis. Because even for different users ps4 has no problem. Oh it happens in Velen in particular in the Swamp, with some Npc in combination with more intense weather effects.

You asked because you hadn't heard anything about it from Xbone players, you had replies afterwards confirming no issues, and even offers to capture video. DF already stated that the ps4 version had those issues in the original release while the Xbox version didn't, so I'm not sure what more you want.

LordOfChaos

Good. Unlocked with a framerate so close to 30 anyways was just weird. It would only make sense if they were up in 45ish fps, like I think God of War was when that went unlocked.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Well this wonderful patch seems to have caused a glitch with the minimap... It's covered in black now.

WTF!

1424778984_image.gif

^CDPR trynna fix bugs

It's not really slightly though, more than 30% is significant, some however would still prefer the better FPS, I personally care about visuals more and the PS4 version runs good enough to me, I'm just not as sensitive as others to dips.

The only time I notice them and they are a bit better since the latest patch is in the Bog when it rains, framerate goes to shit, otherwise I've had a pleasant experience.

Skyzard

Banned
I am not sure if this is what you're after or not but looks like they uploaded some swamp footage.

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_xb1_fps_analysis_swamps_1_03-34750_en.html

It's kinda odd how they update the average framerate continually (as if it's the current framerate - to seem smoother) but only do 1 update per second for the actual framerate.

Also...surprise, it's not 100% locked to 30, just a cap.
Can't tell you how much better it is now as I'm playing on PC but I'd imagine it's quite decent and less stuttery if it's like what happens to me when I try going for a higher framerate (if it can't keep up with a framerate I set it to in RTSS, it's a shitstorm and can drop lower than if you were to lock it), might be different though but doesn't look like it.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It's kinda odd how they update the average framerate continually (as if it's the current framerate) but only do 1 update per second for the actual framerate.

Doesn't matter, just look at the graph. Still pretty bad imo.

Top Bottom