• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Upcoming Xbox One Patch To Include 30 FPS Lock

How is it semantics if DF (or whoever) doesn't show more stressful parts in their performance clips that can happen during normal gameplay.

This is semantics:
You don't know what you are talking about. "locked" is sloppy short hand. You cannot lock a frame rate, only cap it.

If you cap is 30fps and your next frame takes >33ms to render what happens? It drops to sub-30fps. Even if you are running Quake 2 on a Titan and internally rendering at 700fps, you still can only cap it to 30.

Has someone captured endless Forza Horizon 2 footage and gathered all the online cars into one place and kicked up dirt? Have they captured the near infinite variations in cars, locations and weather and analysed the frame rate? No, you have only seen 3 minutes from DF and thus declared "locked"?

Stop using the word, it doesn't mean what you think it means.

Eh
That was more directed towards the people who kept defending the "locked" thing. CDPRs community manager just chose the wrong word, which for those who have been paying attention would know he meant capped.

Well that's what they were going off. LOCK and CAP are different things.

How is it semantics if DF (or whoever) doesn't show more stressful parts in their performance clips that can happen during normal gameplay.

That was a 12 minute clip with full races flying across fields. They stress tested it.

You are just sounding like a fanboy if you think Digital Foundry was going easy on them.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Fanboy of what? Just anti-ms?
I assumed tire smoke dropped fps like the guy said...happens in lots of racing games but those clips look smooth, you're right. I take back my offensive implications about forza.

This is semantics:

Shit my bad, I agree with that.

Maybe a tad paranoid this friday :p

RedAssedApe

Banned
So I traded in my ps4 version. The best buy guy just gave me a straight trade and didn't charge me anything, which was pretty cool. I don't know what people are talking about, but that panning stutter is still clearly there and I have the latest update. It's not all the time and just kind of randomly occurs. Also looks noticeably worse than the ps4 version and I'm not a resolution snob or anything

Edit: The stutter seems to be most noticeable when you you change the speed of the camera. Start spinning it then speed up/slow down and you'll see a stutter every time

Edit2: Holy crap, the world map is chop city

i'm confused...you traded in the ps4 version for the xbone one? why? they both sound largely the same besides the resolution difference? for science?

Shit my bad, I agree with that.

Maybe a tad paranoid this friday :p

No problem it was my fault when I just said "the guy above", I should have been more specific. I see why you thought I may have referred to you. But yeah the framerate in the swamp looks ugly and clearly not locked lol.

soyun

Neo Member
Sorry guys, is this the thread about The Witcher 3 frame rate or that about Forza Horizon 2 frame rate? Thanks.

i'm confused...you traded in the ps4 version for the xbone one? why? they both sound largely the same besides the resolution difference? for science?

I thought it was running better from a lot of reports, but clearly that wasn't the case. Science failed me >_<

Tripolygon

Banned
This specific scenario is the area where most ps4 users are reporting it gets cripplingly bad. Watch every other xbox video pre and post patch. Pre patch it rarely dipped below 30 and averaged like 35, post this is the first video showing an average below 29.8 that I've seen. It's nto like ps4 videos don't exist in the exact same manner.
PS4 version deeps below 30fps because it is capped at 30fps. if it were unlocked it would go above 30fps. That is why the Xbox One version is now going below 30fps.

Edit: My PC version hovers between 30 and 35 and sometimes goes to 40 but when i cap it at 30, it deeps to 28 and hovers between 29 and 30.

So the PS4 version still runs better?

Eh, it's hard to say since I'm only in the starter area. I didn't notice the panning stutter thing so much on the ps4. Maybe the xbone patch introduced a smoother frame rate, which in turn had a side effect of making the stutter more noticeable

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I thought it was running better from a lot of reports, but clearly that wasn't the case. Science failed me >_<

Listening to people on forums is never science, unless maybe you study anthropology.

They both run like garbage, but now you also have a lower resolution.

I'm not entirely sure but it seems to me the pop up in the game has gotten worse. Fields grow in front of me as I ride my horse, textures, shadows, light, etc pop up out of nowhere even if I walk slowly. Didn't notice the pop up to be as prominent prior to the patch.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Apoleptica/video/2748951
A clip I recorded of sunlight appearing and disappearing over a corpse indoors, also can see textures appear and disappear in the back around the brick. I don't have anything to compare though so this might have been in 1.01 too.

thelastword

Banned
This specific scenario is the area where most ps4 users are reporting it gets cripplingly bad. Watch every other xbox video pre and post patch. Pre patch it rarely dipped below 30 and averaged like 35, post this is the first video showing an average below 29.8 that I've seen. It's nto like ps4 videos don't exist in the exact same manner.
Well, I only gave my impression of the PS4 version prior to all these patches against that of the XB1 with the latest patch. I'm sure the PS4 version has improved since then with it's own patches as well. The people who are reporting how cripplingly bad it is in the swamps on PS4 have never posted a video showing so, but as it stands according to the videos at DF with the PS4 version at 1.01, it never falls below 25fps in gameplay and it usually fluctuates in the 29-30fps region, mostly 30fps.

You see I knew that when they capped the XB1 version to 30fps that it would fall below 30fps more often and more steeply than the PS4 version, (it's just par for the course). Also, if the PS4 was unlocked, I'm also sure it would hit high 50's and even 60's at times giving it an overall better average over XB1 too, that is why it does not make sense to compare capped games to unlocked games, it sends a wrong impression.

In any case, I hope that DF and NXgamer will make another video showing the framerate difference between the versions at present since both are now capped. It will show the real difference between the two versions on equal footing. They could do so now since 1.03 is now available for both consoles or they could wait on the 1.04 patch which is coming shortly.

In the meantime, NXgamer did a very nice comparison between all versions of the Witcher 3 including various pc configs, very interesting analysis. I attempted to give a breakdown of it in the Witcher 3 DF faceoff Thread..

Jedi2016

Wait a sec, the patch made the framerate worse?
Well, look on the bright side.. it will never go over 30fps now. That's progress, right?

Technically, it is, frame timing and all. But I'm shaking my head at the people that don't understand how framerate caps work, regardless of what you call them.

Pikma

Banned
The patch brought a whole different array of problems for me, yay! At least it fixed the main issue I had with the game

Well, I only gave my impression of the PS4 version prior to all these patches against that of the XB1 with the latest patch. I'm sure the PS4 version has improved since then with it's own patches as well. The people who are reporting how cripplingly bad it is in the swamps on PS4 have never posted a video showing so, but as it stands according to the videos at DF with the PS4 version at 1.01, it never falls below 25fps in gameplay and it usually fluctuates in the 29-30fps region, mostly 30fps.

You see I knew that when they capped the XB1 version to 30fps that it would fall below 30fps more often and more steeply than the PS4 version, (it's just par for the course). Also, if the PS4 was unlocked, I'm also sure it would hit high 50's and even 60's at times giving it an overall better average over XB1 too, that is why it does not make sense to compare capped games to unlocked games, it sends a wrong impression.

In any case, I hope that DF and NXgamer will make another video showing the framerate difference between the versions at present since both are now capped. It will show the real difference between the two versions on equal footing. They could do so now since 1.03 is now available for both consoles or they could wait on the 1.04 patch which is coming shortly.

In the meantime, NXgamer did a very nice comparison between all versions of the Witcher 3 including various pc configs, very interesting analysis. I attempted to give a breakdown of it in the Witcher 3 DF faceoff Thread..

Thanks for the breakdown.

He says console version uses 16bit colour instead of 32bit. I wonder if this is really true?

c0de

Just saw BlimBlim's video. Where Xbone performed better than PS4 version ( patch 1.03 ) in Griffin video? You mentioned difference in CPU's, but framerates are the same. Just curious.

They are not the same as you can see in the screenshots he provided.

hunchback

I came in looking for info about the patch for Xbox One and stumbled into a console war. Shouldn't these arguments be moved to the Witcher performance thread?
People are saying the font is larger . I have the patch and it doesn't seem much larger to me. That or I'm blind as a bat. I'm only in White Orchid but thing seem smoother to me.

c0de

How would the game on ps4 be able to reach high 50's if it's constantly around 29-30 fps? When does the xbone version fall more often and more steeply than the ps4 version? Any video showing this?
But yes, I am also eagerly awaiting a comparison video, by now I only know the screenshot from blimblim which shows a good advantage from xbone over ps4.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I came in looking for info about the patch for Xbox One and stumbled into a console war. Shouldn't these arguments be moved to the Witcher performance thread?
People are saying the font is larger . I have the patch and it doesn't seem much larger to me. That or I'm blind as a bat. I'm only in White Orchid but thing seem smoother to me.

this release notes actually say nothing about font. It actually just says:

Enlarges the size of the loot pop up window in the Ui.

Not sure if the font is even larger for that window. The font that people are complaining about (I.e inventory, bestiary, books) is untouched. They said that stuff is getting updated in a future patch.

Mastperf

How would the game on ps4 be able to reach high 50's if it's constantly around 29-30 fps? When does the xbone version fall more often and more steeply than the ps4 version? Any video showing this?
But yes, I am also eagerly awaiting a comparison video, by now I only know the screenshot from blimblim which shows a good advantage from xbone over ps4.
A good advantage? There's a fraction of a frame per second difference between the two. Even dark10x's human FRAPS eyes couldn't notice the difference. If you were being sarcastic then I apologize. It's hard to tell sometimes.

p3tran

Banned
You don't know what you are talking about. "locked" is sloppy short hand. You cannot lock a frame rate, only cap it.

If you cap is 30fps and your next frame takes >33ms to render what happens? It drops to sub-30fps. Even if you are running Quake 2 on a Titan and internally rendering at 700fps, you still can only cap it to 30.

Has someone captured endless Forza Horizon 2 footage and gathered all the online cars into one place and kicked up dirt? Have they captured the near infinite variations in cars, locations and weather and analysed the frame rate? No, you have only seen 3 minutes from DF and thus declared "locked"?

Stop using the word, it doesn't mean what you think it means.

the only thing that is obvious, is that you NEVER played ANY forza game,
YET you are making rigid statements, without having a CLUE.

so, guess who is the one who doesnt know what he is talking about......

Turn10 refers to their 60 frames tech as "static 60". everyday, you learn something.

c0de

LOL! What the hell you trying to prove?
What advantage in BlimBlim's screenshots? I don't see it. 1 fps drop few more times is an advantage? In cut-scenes? OK then.

We don't have any other data. If you have, feel free to share with us.

thelastword

Banned
Thanks for the breakdown.

He says console version uses 16bit colour instead of 32bit. I wonder if this is really true?
No problem. It's the only thing I couldn't pick up in the video tbh, maybe screenshots would be better able to show those differences he's talking about, albeit with some zoom ins. I hope he can highlight his take on it a bit further in the next video. I'm sure there will be another video from both sites, since patch 1.04 is coming, and both console games are now capped with performance improvements and the like.

Well, the xbone version goes up to 40fps at times where it's unlocked with a lesser GPU. I was only looking at blim's video which shows the xbone version staying below 30fps quite a bit. From the videos I've seen of the PS4 version, it never really dips like that or stays at these low frames so consistently. From what I saw of PS4 it's mostly falls to 28-29fps whilst loading areas or horseback riding. As it stands, new comparisons would have to be done to get a more proper take with the latest patches installed. I'm waiting to see such videos from the comparison sites any time soon.

Certinty

I'm feeling the game runs a lot worse now. Map is more laggy, menus take longer to appear and I actually think the gameplay isn't as smooth either.

RyudBoy

I'm feeling the game runs a lot worse now. Map is more laggy, menus take longer to appear and I actually think the gameplay isn't as smooth either.

Menus/inventory definitely feels more sluggish now. Takes longer to load items and switch between tabs. Actually gameplay is much smoother, however.

I'm currently in Skillege so I can't comment on how other areas compare.

The lock/cap discussion is hilarious.

cap= Not allowing the fps to go over a certain threshold.

lock = layman term that implies a framerate that never dips below the capped value.

So a cap can be locked, but a lock is always capped. (lol) The whole "locking" terminology is misleading and people don't really understand what it means. (The game must internally be capable of running a much higher fps to achieve not dipping below the cap in extreme situations).

edit: V-Sync can have additional negative effects on this, as seen in the PS4 version.

The game overall is sluggish. The frame pacing is still off, which makes combat a dice roll. I'd love to be able to weave through groups of enemies, dodging, striking and blocking while mixing it up with my powers like the game intends but in practice I have to stay on the outside, rolling around and occasional coming in for a strike like its witcher 2 or something. I'll use the aard sign but due to the frame pacing or some other sluggish element what often happens is they'll be hit by the sign and then somehow still get their attack off and damage me. Other issues like this are crippling my enjoyment.

c0de

Well, the xbone version goes up to 40fps at times where it's unlocked with a lesser GPU. I was only looking at blim's video which shows the xbone version staying below 30fps quite a bit. From the videos I've seen of the PS4 version, it never really dips like that or stays at these low frames so consistently. From what I saw of PS4 it's mostly falls to 28-29fps whilst loading areas or horseback riding. As it stands, new comparisons would have to be done to get a more proper take with the latest patches installed. I'm waiting to see such videos from the comparison sites any time soon.

Wait, did blimblim upload a new one? I only saw three little spikes in the video, far away from quite a bit. Than I saw a comparison graph for ps4 in the same scene as a screenshot showing way more spikes on ps4. There has to be another video when you see low frames consistently.
But yes, we need new ones, obviously the current situation leads to too many opinions based on what other people haven't seen.

Seanspeed

Banned
Wait, did blimblim upload a new one? I only saw three little spikes in the video, far away from quite a bit. Than I saw a comparison graph for ps4 in the same scene as a screenshot showing way more spikes on ps4. There has to be another video when you see low frames consistently.
But yes, we need new ones, obviously the current situation leads to too many opinions based on what other people haven't seen.
The only video on Gamersyde that shows the framerate going under 30fps for anything but a tiny momentary blip is the video of the swamp, where apparently there are lots of problems on the PS4 side as well. Overall, from the other videos, XB1 definitely looked to have a more solid framerate for the moment.

Have no idea what thelastword is talking about, honestly. I think he's trying to pass info off as true hoping nobody has actually checked themselves.

EDIT: An inconvenient truth:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_tw3_ps4_framerate_analysis-16581_en.html

PS4's framerate is actually worse than XB1 in the swamp areas. By quite a bit. Now I understand what people were complaining about.

The game does have a stuttering issue that seems related to camera movement. This is present on all platforms and all levels of performance. I'm playing at a pretty solid 60fps and have the same sort of stuttering at times.

Same here. It's weird because it seems like the stuttering is happening to the image that's close to camera but not far away. You can test this by riding the horse and just walking it at a brisk pace and looking at the bottom 3rd of the screen.. if you look at the upper 3rd of the screen, it appears smooth.. really weird.

Top Bottom