• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Wild Hunt (PC) is currently $15.79 or £10.80 at gog.com (using Hola)

Jedi2016

There's a difference between finding a deal and exploiting a loophole to effectively rip them off. Might as well buy it from one of those grey-market sites that deal in stolen keys.

No, I know I'll be getting my money's worth out of this one, I have no problems paying full price.

FiraB

Banned
More then happy to buy it twice.

Have the steam version already but hell I know giving a each $20 to CDP through GoG isn't a bad deal at the end of the day because I know the profits go straight to them. Plus I can hand this to my brother-in-law so he doesn't pirate the thing, CDP deserves every penny they can get for this game even if through loopholes.

tauke

Got it for $14 since I already owned both Witcher 1 and 2.

Problem with GOG fair pricing for me is that it is not applicable in my country. So paying $48 after the discount is still very steep for me.

I know I can get it through Steam (which is $36.45 after conversion), at least I know the money is going straight to CD Projekt.

b0uncyfr0

Got it for $14 since I already owned both Witcher 1 and 2.

Problem with GOG fair pricing for me is that it is not applicable in my country. So paying $48 after the discount is still very steep for me.

You're funny, i own both W1 and W2. Its $72 for me.

I spent $48 on it on Steam for owning TW1&2

no regrets.

Pillars of Eternity for $15 though? It's pretty tempting! But I'll wait for a sale.

LewieP

So I posted instructions for how to take advantage of this deal on my website SavyGamer. I am also signed up to GOG's affiliate program.

I just got this email from them.

fpeY9El.png

I was pretty shocked. I think their decision to engage in aggressive regional pricing discrimination in order to maximise revenue is unfair, and a great deal of their marketing and stated policies seem to agree with me.

By all means they can go down this path, but they should recognise that it directly contradicts their prior stance on this. A stance which has gained them a great deal of positive reputation.

jaina

So the solution in line with their "regional pricing policies" would be to raise the price in Ukraine? Other way around isn't feasible.

Denton

So I posted instructions for how to take advantage of this deal on my website SavyGamer. I am also signed up to GOG's affiliate program.

fpeY9El.png

I was pretty shocked. I think their decision to engage in aggressive regional pricing discrimination in order to maximise revenue is unfair, and a great deal of their marketing and stated policies seem to agree with me.

By all means they can go down this path, but they should recognise that it directly contradicts their prior stance on this. A stance which has gained them a great deal of positive reputation.
Shocked? Really?

Vintage

Asking 50eu for a new full AAA game is now discrimination?

MaxiLive

Aahaha, you are shocked? What....

You posted how to abuse their regional pricing which is very fair, think of all the peeps in the Ukraine and their living conditions versus's the average living conditions of someone in the US/UK. Add to that tax, employees for those regions (support, distribution etc) and advertisement/affiliate costs for those regions. That is why prices vary.

eot

Banned

Wow, you're quite something.

LewieP

Asking 50eu for a new full AAA game is now discrimination?
Discrimination in the economic sense, yes. It simply means treating different customers or groups of customers differently. Charging people different prices depending on nationality is a textbook example of price discrimination.

Zemm

What's wrong with regional pricing in this case? Eastern Europeans aren't really getting it cheaper when you compare wages, the fairest way is them paying the equivalent of what we would in Western Europe/RoW. It can get abused, such as Australians paying ridiculous prices, but it seems OK in this games case?

Corpekata

Banned
Given that GOG has tooted their own horns to the point of making fun of other competitors for their regional pricing even in advertisements, I would agree that it is goofy to see them upset about it.

LewieP

It's perfectly possible to charge one fair price globally, and then later on offer discounts so that people with less disposable income can buy. This is incompatible with trying to make the largest profit possible though.

Again, GOG have actively marketed themselves as being against regional pricing, and even called their competitors' policies "unfair", even though they have now adopted similar policies.

Striek

I don't particularly care about people who do this but I hate these being posted as "deals" every single time a new game is released on PC. They're not deals. Its the way of things.
Discrimination in the economic sense, yes. It simply means treating different customers or groups of customers differently. Charging people different prices depending on nationality is a textbook example of price discrimination.

Going to have to explain how its unfair to maximise revenue or even how it is fair to expect to pay $16 for a AAA game and have it be profitable.

Go on.

It's perfectly possible to charge one fair price globally, and then later on offer discounts so that people with less disposable income can buy. This is incompatible with trying to make the largest profit possible though.

Again, GOG have actively marketed themselves as being against regional pricing, and even called their competitors' policies "unfair", even though they have now adopted similar policies.

Its actually impossible to grant "fair", equitable access to the title at one price globally.

LewieP

Going to have to explain how its unfair to maximise revenue or even how it is fair to expect to pay $16 for a AAA game and have it be profitable.

It's perfectly fair to aim to maximise revenue, but abandoning your stated ideals in order to do so is obviously worth criticising.

If $14 isn't a "fair" price, GOG shouldn't be charging it.

patapuf

It's really not unless you believe people in poor countries, (like india) should just wait, always.

The Euro/Dollar conversion stuff is bad but i don't exept people in india to pay the same prices i do. The game just gets pirated in these countries if you sell games at european prices, and since GOG is DRM free you don't even have to crack the game.

Shari

Its actually impossible to grant "fair", equitable access to the title at one price globally.

Then dont advertise you're against it and call others out for doing it.

You do the same as the rest of publishers? Not a problem, just dont brag about being against regional pricing, etc etc

Also, to me its unfair to call this "a deal" because some users won't understand the full extent of this but its also lame all this white knight shit that some of you guys are trying to pull off.

Lach

It really rubbed me wrong when they went back on their one price for everyone policy (with Witcher 3 nontheless!).

On their frontpage it says
Everyone should be treated fairly and not overpay for purchases just because they reside in a different part of the world.
This should also be the case when they choose to go with dumping prices in certain parts of the world.

[edit] I'm perfectly happy with what I paid for Witcher 3! In fact I preored both digitally and the Collectors Edition on Amazon. But gog.com has introduced some disappointing policies lately, no doubt due to pressure from the market.

Zemm

The only thing Gog have done wrong is come out with the initial statement about one global price, it just isn't possible unless you want Eastern Europeans or people in developing countries to revert back to piracy because of insane local prices.

Everyone should be treated fairly and not overpay for purchases just because they reside in a different part of the world.

The bolded is the important part and that's what they seem to be doing, treating everyone fairly.

LewieP

It's really not unless you believe people in poor countries should just wait, always.

The Euro/Dollar conversion stuff is bad but i don't exept people in india to pay the same prices i do. The game just gets pirated in these countries if you sell games at european prices, and since GOG is DRM free you don't even have to crack the game.

There are millionaires in Ukraine and India. There are people in poverty in many of the richest countries.

GOG's polices are not out of charity. It is seeking to make the most money possible by charging the highest price the market will bare in a given region.

Striek

It's perfectly fair to aim to maximise revenue, but abandoning your stated ideals in order to do so is obviously worth criticising.

Its a fair price...in Ukraine.

GOG has always said they don't want users to pay more than in the US. Ie. they don't feel the need to gouge additional profit from consumers over the "base" rate. They follow through on that by charging the same price or giving exact credit to regions like mine, Australia.

Its COMPLETELY different to what you are trying to imply, which is they've broken a promise to never charge more or less in any area of the globe. Regional pricing like this is designed to nuture and encourage developing markets and give the game the broadest base possible.

In short, your expectations are fucked, and you are acting like an ass in posting that email looking for sympathy.

Nillansan

fpeY9El.png

I was pretty shocked.

You decided to post instructions on how to exploit a partner. I am shocked.

It's perfectly possible to charge one fair price globally, and then later on offer discounts so that people with less disposable income can buy.

You sound fucking clueless.

Oublieux

It's a fair price for the country it was intended for: Ukraine. Currency is not made equal everywhere and, for obvious reasons, average income differs between countries based on how strong or weak it is against the dollar.

There are millionaires in Ukraine and India. There are people in poverty in many of the richest countries.

GOG's polices are not out of charity. It is seeking to make the most money possible by charging the highest price the market will bare in a given region.

Millionaires are also part of the average country income.

LewieP

It really rubbed me wrong when they went back on their one price for everyone policy (with Witcher 3 nontheless!).

They actually specifically cite The Witcher 3 here when talking about giving store credit to achieve similar to consistent global pricing. I wonder if all Witcher 3 customers will get store credit to make up the discrepancy between local and Ukrainian pricing.

patapuf

Yes, it's not charity. I still don't see anything wrong with charging developping countries less than first world countries.

Taking advantage of regional pricing just means they'll stop doing that and people in developping markets won't be able to play the game (legally) outside of a select few rich people. It's pretty self centered to think that this is the "fair" outcome.

antonz

Ukraine is a country in economic freefall as large chunks of its land fall under foreign occupation. How much it costs to purchase a game in Ukraine would obviously be cheaper than it would be in say Poland or the UK.

If you are looking for sympathy you are in the wrong place. You partner up wiht GOG then post how people can exploit the system and not pay a fair price based on their own economic standards versus the situation in Ukraine and are shocked when you get an email expressing disappointment.

Ogawa-san

If Steam and others didn't "discriminate" with their prices, a $59 game released this month would cost us 10% of our average monthly income. Comparatively, it's like Bloodborne being about $220 in the US.

If you feel screwed for paying more, you need to think this over.

Vintage

They actually specifically cite The Witcher 3 here when talking about giving store credit to achieve similar to consistent global pricing. I wonder if all Witcher 3 customers will get store credit to make up the discrepancy between local and Ukrainian pricing.

I smell a little bit of butthurt here just because someone will get the game cheaper.

Oublieux

You are misunderstanding GoG's stance on the whole matter. Firstly:
"We will adamantly continue to fight for games with flat worldwide pricing. If that fails and we are required to have regional prices, we will make up the difference for you out of our own pockets."

GoG is all for flat global regional pricing, but they never said it was a full 100% guarantee because there are most likely barriers and hurdles when it comes to releases of certain games, Witcher 3 included.

Secondly, the vouchers that GoG hands out are for games that are priced higher than the USD price because the USD is the standard unit of currency in international markets:
Effectively gamers from all around the world will be able to benefit from the US prices.

Countries in which the regional pricing falls below the standard does not apply, this is Ukraine and the remaining countries that have a weaker currency.

LewieP

I'm not quite sure why people are finding the things I am saying controversial.

Obviously GOG can do whatever they want with pricing (providing it's within the law I suppose). My primary complaint is that their current actions undermine their previous statements on these issues.

They heavily market themselves on the idea of charging everyone the same prices no matter what, but are not following through on this. Yes there are pros and cons to different pricing strategies, and there is an interesting tangential discussion to be had about these, but I can't see any way that failing to deliver on your stated aims is a good thing.

Either they have been repeatedly making promises they can't keep, or they are willfully going against their stated values.

UnrealEck

I'm feeling a bit sympathetic in that I guess I agree that some regions should get discounts but $14 or $16 or whatever it is is really really low to the point where other regions will feel they're being had.
I live in the UK and I don't have any money currently. However, if I have a job in the UK and want to buy the game, I can probably find it easier financially to buy the game at £30-£35 than I might do if I was from a country with much lower wages and had to pay the same for it. So I can see why it can be a fair thing to do. But, I think that the extent of the discount might be a bit extreme.

At the end of the day, they set the price.

Do you think the solution is to start charging $15 world wide or to raise the price to $60 in Ukraine? What is "fair"? What is more based on reality?

Keasar

Nice deal but nah, I like CD Project too much. I am always ready to go in full when it comes to their games. Especially on GOG.

Yeah no, I don't support taking advantage of "deals" like this at all.

I don't think GoG's support for flat pricing was ever meant to mean literally everyone pays the same price regardless of where they are, I always interpreted it as in relation to the USD (i.e. a game that is $60 USD shouldn't also be 60 euros because the number is the same when the value of the currency isn't.) Ukraine's economic situation pretty much makes a full price retail title there a no-go.

I'm not quite sure why people are finding the things I am saying controversial.

Obviously GOG can do whatever they want with pricing (providing it's within the law I suppose). My primary complaint is that their current actions undermine their previous statements on these issues.

They heavily market themselves on the idea of charging everyone the same prices no matter what, but are not following through on this. Yes there are pros and cons to different pricing strategies, and there is an interesting tangential discussion to be had about these, but I can't see any way that failing to deliver on your stated aims is a good thing.

Either they have been repeatedly making promises they can't keep, or they are willfully going against their stated values.

Oh no a company changes their mind to benefit developing nations and provide access to their game. This is horrible.

SOMEONE POST ON GAF WE'VE GOT A DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION PLATFORM THAT MADE AN EXCEPTION FOR THE BETTERMENT OF GLOBAL REACH

Top Bottom