• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Wild Hunt (PC) is currently $15.79 or £10.80 at gog.com (using Hola)

It's really not unless you believe people in poor countries, (like india) should just wait, always.

The Euro/Dollar conversion stuff is bad but i don't exept people in india to pay the same prices i do. The game just gets pirated in these countries if you sell games at european prices, and since GOG is DRM free you don't even have to crack the game.
But the prices in India are the same as the Steam USA prices. No special pricing like Russia.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm not quite sure why people are finding the things I am saying controversial.

Obviously GOG can do whatever they want with pricing (providing it's within the law I suppose). My primary complaint is that their current actions undermine their previous statements on these issues.

They heavily market themselves on the idea of charging everyone the same prices no matter what, but are not following through on this. Yes there are pros and cons to different pricing strategies, and there is an interesting tangential discussion to be had about these, but I can't see any way that failing to deliver on your stated aims is a good thing.

Either they have been repeatedly making promises they can't keep, or they are willfully going against their stated values.
Okay, you win, Mister Bruised Ego.

Ukrainians should scrape enough to pay what everyone else does. Would that scenario make you happy?

It's hypocritical, but it only seems to benefit people who live in regions where they can't afford the full price. I'm trying to understand where anyone gets hurt by this.

This is why hypocrisy is such a weak criticism. If GOG sees a win-win situation, why not take it? Oh no, they made a Youtube video a year ago? Who cares?

methane47

It's hypocritical, but it only seems to benefit people who live in regions where they can't afford the full price. I'm trying to understand where anyone gets hurt by this.

This is why hypocrisy is such a weak criticism. If GOG sees a win-win situation, why not take it? Oh no, they made a Youtube video a year ago? Who cares?

I agree. Ukraine is a super tiny market.
Most regional pricing works the other way, where the super large market gets great volume discounts, while the smaller markets have to pay more.

I'm ok if the smaller markets get discounts from the standard price from time to time.

Zaph

So I posted instructions for how to take advantage of this deal on my website SavyGamer. I am also signed up to GOG's affiliate program.

I just got this email from them.

[IMG ]http://i.imgur.com/fpeY9El.png[/IMG]

I was pretty shocked. I think their decision to engage in aggressive regional pricing discrimination in order to maximise revenue is unfair, and a great deal of their marketing and stated policies seem to agree with me.

By all means they can go down this path, but they should recognise that it directly contradicts their prior stance on this. A stance which has gained them a great deal of positive reputation.

You seriously detailed how to exploit pricing with one hand, while attempting to profit from the same company with the other?

Unprofessional is putting it lightly.

There's an expected price range for stuff in your country, how much you expect to pay for a particular product. As long as I'm not charged above that range, I can't complain.

Markups like on Steam (€60 is roughly +30%) are bullshit. But I don't consider it a right to get access to another country's pricing, paying a third of what I otherwise would.

Bydobob

I've been lukewarm about Witcher 3, and I must admit this "deal" would have tipped me towards buying. However, having read the responses in particular GOG/CDPR's own stance I'll sit the game out till the inevitable Steam discount.

Ukraine is a country in complete turmoil and creating such a price differential in these circumstances is laudable. CDPR are clearly taking the hit in their own pocket so condemning them, whatever their stated policy, is absurd.

LewieP

You seriously detailed how to exploit pricing with one hand, while attempting to profit from the same company with the other?

Unprofessional is putting it lightly.

I've never made any agreement with GOG to only post deals that they approve of, or to ignore exploits and loopholes. If the cut they offer me for sending customers their way were contingent on agreeing such, I would decline the offer.

Only posting deals that retailers/publishers/developers approve of would be a terrible idea. I always prioritise serving my users.

I did not use my affiliate code on the post instructing people how to bypass regional pricing.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Ukraine is a country in complete turmoil and creating such a price differential in these circumstances is laudable. CDPR are clearly taking the hit in their own pocket so condemning them, whatever their stated policy, is absurd.

Pretty sure this is just the CIS price and nothing to do with what is going on in Ukraine.

frontovik

Banned
I'm also going to say that you should support CDPR and purchase the game for full price. IIRC, you'd get a discount if you own the previous Witcher games on GOG.

But if you're going to go with the unethical route, then by all means :/

maty

It's perfectly possible to charge one fair price globally, and then later on offer discounts so that people with less disposable income can buy. This is incompatible with trying to make the largest profit possible though.

Again, GOG have actively marketed themselves as being against regional pricing, and even called their competitors' policies "unfair", even though they have now adopted similar policies.

So fuck people who live in developing countries. Whenever I buy a game in US dollars I have to multiply by 11. So let's say they sold the game even with a 50% discount it would still be expensive for me.

When I hear fair prices I think they mean selling for the same price between the US and the tier 1 markets in EU. Not 1 price for the whole world (which is impossible). So if a game is sold for $50 in the US, it should be sold for the equivalent amount in €.

These countries where they offer regional pricing are not that big to make a difference in their finances but if everyone buys from them they probably would.

eot

Banned
Changing your stance on something is not being a hypocrite, saying one thing and doing another is. That video about regional pricing is from 2012, not 2015. Besides, with all the goodwill CDPR have bought they should be cut some slack. It seems like the opposite happens though, if a person or company tries to hold themselves to a higher standard than most then people will forever hold them to that standard. I imagine that if CDPR decided to charge for DLC people would flip their shit even though basically every other publisher does it.

Denton

As if "for consoles" meant anything bad at a time when consoles are running x86 and GCN..
as for controls, plenty PC gamers me included prefer gamepad, so greater focus on that is a good thing, in TW2 gamepad support could have used a bit of work.

It is not a port when it is being developed simultaneously. Yes of course it keeps the constrains of the consoles in mind, what else are they supposed to do?

Denton

Couldn't they simply deliver a game without multilanguage support? More specifically, without english support.

This is CDP, they want all gamers to have a choice in language, so all versions will have all VOs and all subtitles selectable at will just like in Witcher 2.

heringer

This is CDP, they want all gamers to have a choice in language, so all versions will have all VOs and all subtitles selectable at will just like in Witcher 2.

Seems to me that would be the best solution to avoid exploits. It wouldn't completely eliminate it, but at least it would disencourage a lot of people.

And people from Ukraine would get the game in their own language. I mean, sure, I'm a brazilian gamer and I usually avoid portuguese translations, but for $15 I wouldn't complain.

Monster Zero

I wasn't gonna buy it because the Witcher 2 turned me off the series, but it's $15, is some money rather than none still unethical?
Not that it's gonna change my decision

I just bought it. I feel bad, but it was to much of a good deal to pass on. I just built a new pc so I have to save money when ever I can

Tovarisc

Couldn't they simply deliver a game without multilanguage support? More specifically, without english support.

In their FAQ in Witcher 3's store page in GoG they say that every copy will get all localizations and all subtitle packages from which you get to choose ones you want to use, no matter where you live.

Sources would be handy rather than conjecture

Maybe they just don't like that CDPR is also in console space and not 100% PC focused?

Top Bottom