• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•18-20•16 - Harry Potter's universe is a BEAST, Doctor who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

0SFkRMn.jpg
6vjrapP.jpg
xY6aC0j.jpg
ps693ia.jpg
EEtd30J.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
76% Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them
9wcOG.gif
90% Doctor Strange
kavuF.gif
74% Trolls
8vteV.gif
93% Arrival
5f4ew.gif
50% Almost Christmas
-
CBq5r.gif
95% The Edge of Seventeen
CBq5r.gif
63% Bleed for This
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
CBq5r.gif
73% Nocturnal Animals

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Fantastic Beasts’ Debuts to Magical $75 Million

'Bleed for This' and 'Billy Lynn's' Bomb

“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” dominated the weekend box office, debuting to a boisterous $75 million and launching a new cinematic franchise.

It confirms Warner Bros.’ high hopes for the property and its decision to back five installments in the fantasy series. The film is a spin-off of the Harry Potter films, but instead of Hogwarts, it unfolds in 1920s New York City and features an entirely new cast of wizards and mythical creatures.

The studio spent $180 million to make the picture, enlisting Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowling to write the screenplay and bringing back David Yates, the director of several previous boy wizard outings. Eddie Redmayne stars as Newt Scamander, a textbook writer and collector of the titular beasts.

“This is dead on what we were looking for,” said Jeff Goldstein, “Jo Rowling brilliantly told a story that inspired her fan base to come out in a big way.” Audiences may have embraced the return to Potter-dom, but they gave the cold shoulder to several new films, among them the boxing drama “Bleed for This” and the Iraq War drama “Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk.” Both films bombed, with “Bleed for This” eking out $2.4 million and “Billy Lynn’s” mustering $930,000 after expanding from four to 1,176 theaters. It has earned $1.1 million.

Open Road is distributing “Bleed for This,” which looks at Vinny Pazienza’s efforts to get back into the ring after a car accident. It has a $6 million budget.

Sony is backing “Billy Lynn’s” along with Bona Film Group, Film4, and Studio 8. The $40 million is a technological gamble. Ang Lee shot the picture to be exhibited at 120 frames per second in 3D at 4K HD resolution in order to achieve greater clarity and realism. Critics have been divided about the look of the picture, with some faulting it for looking too much like a telenovela. It’s something of a moot point, as less than a half dozen theaters have the ability to exhibit the film at the higher speeds.

STX’s “Edge of Seventeen” didn’t fare much better than the other struggling new releases. The teen dramedy with Hailee Steinfeld only managed to pull in $4.8 million for a seventh place finish. Heading into the weekend, it was expected to gross $10 million. The film centers on a high school girl grappling with the fact that her best friend is dating her brother. It cost $9 million to make.

Second place went to Marvel’s “Doctor Strange,” which brought in $17.5 million to push its domestic gross to $181.5 million after three weeks in theaters. DreamWorks Animation’s “Trolls” took third, earning $17.5 million to bring its haul to $116.2 million.

Paramount’s “Arrival,” a science-fiction thriller with Amy Adams, nabbed fourth place, picking up $11.8 million to bring its stateside gross to $43.4 million. Universal’s “Almost Christmas” rounded out the top five, picking up $7 million to push its domestic total to $25.4 million.

In limited release, “Manchester by the Sea” capitalized on glowing reviews and Oscar heat to open to $241,230 with a robust $60,308 per-screen average. Amazon bought the film out of Sundance for $10 million and is releasing it in conjunction with Roadside Attractions. Casey Affleck stars as a janitor trying to come to terms with a personal tragedy.

Focus Features also debuted “Nocturnal Animals,” Tom Ford’s noir-ish thriller, in 37 theaters where it made $493,000.

More to come…

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Sean C

The Edge of Seventeen was very good, for what it's worth. It's weird how teens are as big a market for Hollywood films as ever, but the "teen film" genre has pretty much withered and died. Teen dramas, especially. Coming of age movies now feel like niche products mostly watched by adults.

I guess teens are too busy watching YouTube videos or something.

The Edge of Seventeen was very good, for what it's worth. It's weird how teens are as big a market for Hollywood films as ever, but the "teen film" genre has pretty much withered and died. Teen dramas, especially. Coming of age movies now feel like niche products mostly watched by adults.

Do teens actually want to watch movies about teens?

banktree

Banned

Edge of Seventeen is also rated R, meaning that most teens, including the main character, couldn't go see it.

A real successful movie is a blockbuster,which is a bomb. But if a movie is a failure. ..it's called a bomb.

Blockbuster is more about a huge budget and star power than box office revenue.

Tons of blockbusters are bombs and some movies make a ton of money but aren't blockbusters

The Edge of 17 is one of the best films of the year. Of course Fantastic Beasts would make bank but Eo17 deserves your money far more than FB does.
Don't sleep on it.

Fantastic Beasts is SW prequel/Hobbit tier too but that's besides the point.

Schlorgan

The Edge of 17 is one of the best films of the year. Of course Fantastic Beasts would make bank but Eo17 deserves your money far more than FB does.
Don't sleep on it.

I wouldn't worry too much about it; it's a $9 million dollar movie that will probably come up again during Oscar time.

kswiston

So November delivered on the $200M films finally. Doctor Strange. Probably Fantwdtic beasts as well. We'll see where Moana lands.

My guess is that Moana tops Doctor Strange, rounding out a top 10 that is mostly $300M films. All $300M films if both Rogue One and Moana hit that number

So November delivered on the $200M films finally. Doctor Strange. Probably Fantwdtic beasts as well. We'll see where Moana lands.

My guess is that Moana tops Doctor Strange, rounding out a top 10 that is mostly $300M films. All $300M films if both Rogue One and Moana hit that number

What is the list looking like right now?

So there's probably not even a chance at Doctor Strange coming within sniffing distance of Suicide Squad and BvS either Domestic or Internationally?

BTM

Beasts was great, glad to see it doing well. 9th movie in the franchise and still chugging along with good movies.

Cuburt

Surprised that Doctor Strange's opening weekend beat a Harry Potter prequel/spin-off's opening weekend.

I always figured that even with a more tepid response from critics and general audiences, Potter fans would still show up opening weekend to push it over the $100M mark and then it may start dropping fast after that.

After all, it seemed to me a side story in the Harry Potter universe would have more built in fans than a side story in the MCU, especially since this is the first Harry Potter-related film since 2011 and that was huge. Doing a quick search, $75M was on the bottom end of opening weekend box office predictions.

It makes me wonder if Rogue One will under perform.

Anecdotally but lots of people around me were hesitant about FB after Cursed Child (never read it and was told I was lucky). Legs should be good if word of mouth is strong. Hell even my parents are curious enough to watch it after only seeing HP1.

kswiston

So there's probably not even a chance at Doctor Strange coming within sniffing distance of Suicide Squad and BvS either Domestic or Internationally?

Doctor Strange may hit $700M. Suicide Squad finished with $745M. Even if it doesn't hit the $700M mark, Doctor Strange will probably top Man of Steel worldwide.

Domestic won't be close in either of those cases.

Doctor Strange may hit $700M. Suicide Squad finished with $745M. Even if it doesn't hit the $700M mark, Doctor Strange will probably top Man of Steel worldwide.

At least Doctor Strange should top Thor 2 domestically. (I hope that comment doesn't derail conversation. LOL) It's only got $25M to go, should have that before end of year, right?

Ashhong

Don't sleep on it.

Fantastic Beasts is SW prequel/Hobbit tier too but that's besides the point.

Did you actually watch the movie?

FB was a great movie and deserves money just as much as any other movie.

kswiston

At least Doctor Strange should top Thor 2 domestically. (I hope that comment doesn't derail conversation. LOL) It's only got $25M to go, should have that before end of year, right?

Doctor Strange will be over $200M next weekend, and over Thor 2 a few days after that.

BumRush

What do you think we're Disney's expectations? $500M?

Ashhong

Saying that FB is SW prequel/Hobbit tier is straight up false.

Indeed. If it was a terrible movie and straight cash grab I might understand the "deserves" comment. But it's a solid/great movie which took countless hours by hundreds of people as well.

Was supposed to watch Edge and Arrival as well this weekend but plans changed. Very sad

Cuburt

Saying that FB is SW prequel/Hobbit tier is straight up false.

But similar to how the Hobbit was one book stretched into a trilogy, isn't this one book trying to be stretched into 5 films? Reviews I've seen seem to suggest some plot in FB is stretched thin similarly, so the comparison seem appropriate to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom