• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•18-20•16 - Harry Potter's universe is a BEAST, Doctor who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Prometheus was about 2.5x OW, which is pretty standard in the summer.

The issue with the May date with be screen availability. None of those other 4 movies are likely to be huge (Baywatch may be a moderate breakout), but they still eat up screens. Pirates 5 is also the following week, eating up most of whatever PLF/IMAX screens Alien was playing on.

August 2017 is pretty dead. The weekend following Aug 4th sees the release of a future Edgar Wright bomb and the CHiPs remake. The rest of August isn't much better.

2.4 😋But the larger premise being that the new Alien film will most likely achieve similar results to Prometheus - there isn't some upside potential that the property can achieve by switching release dates.

Agreed that August seems barren and it may be better suited there, but Alien isn't going to win any new converts in that period that's going to bring the property performing $400M WW to $600M if decided to release in August instead of May.

That's how I see it anyway. I may be off the mark completely.

kswiston

2.4 ��But the larger premise being that the new Alien film will most likely achieve similar results to Prometheus - there isn't some upside potential that the property can achieve by switching release dates.

Agreed that August seems barren and it may be better suited there, but Alien isn't going to win any new converts in that period that's going to bring the property performing $400M WW to $600M if decided to release in August instead of May.

That's how I see it anyway. I may be off the mark completely.

2.48x is close enough to 2.5x for me!

I think the biggest question is how Pirates 5 will be received overseas. If it is way down overseas, then it probably doesn't matter. However, if Pirates 5 is still a $500-600M OS franchise (I don't think it has a real shot at coming close to On Stranger Tides given exchange rates), it could put a dent in second weekend business overseas. I don't think that Pirates 5 will be big enough to matter much domestically, especially since the following week when it launches is Memorial day weekend.

vinnygambini

2.48x is close enough to 2.5x for me!

I think the biggest question is how Pirates 5 will be received overseas. If it is way down overseas, then it probably doesn't matter. However, if Pirates 5 is still a $500-600M OS franchise (I don't think it has a real shot at coming close to On Stranger Tides given exchange rates), it could put a dent in second weekend business overseas. I don't think that Pirates 5 will be big enough to matter much domestically, especially since the following week when it launches is Memorial day weekend.

Neva! It's 2.4!
In my mind I thought it did $120M sorry ahah

Overseas is going to be down regardless for both, especially Alien in comparison to Prometheus. It did $40M in the 🇬🇧. No way Alien is achieving that. It's going to be interesting to watch - wonder if Alien will release in China? I don't think Prometheus did.

kswiston

Hopefully Fox was smart with the budgeting. Disney wasn't smart with their Pirates budget for the third time in a row.

EDIT: Doctor Strange moves up the MCU list, topping Iron Man 1's worldwide total. It will probably top Iron Man 2's total ($624M) this weekend, eventually landing somewhere between Thor 2 and Winter Soldier. Despite a much weaker exchange rate than other MCU films, Doctor Strange will likely end up with the highest overseas gross outside of the $1B+ club MCU films.

BumRush

Hopefully Fox was smart with the budgeting. Disney wasn't smart with their Pirates budget for the third time in a row.

EDIT: Doctor Strange moves up the MCU list, topping Iron Man 1's worldwide total. It will probably top Iron Man 2's total ($624M) this weekend, eventually landing somewhere between Thor 2 and Winter Soldier. Despite a much weaker exchange rate than other MCU films, Doctor Strange will likely end up with the highest overseas gross outside of the $1B+ club MCU films.

It deserves it. Really fun film.

kswiston

I don't understand how Pirates movies are so goddamn expensive beyond Depp being a derp

They film in areas that are prone to tropical storms, construct a lot of physical sets, and make use of water on said sets.

Basically the same reason why Waterworld cost $175M twenty years ago.

kswiston

Just saw a commerical for the Ass Creed movie. I didn't know it was so soon

You'll be able to grab it for $10 at Walmart by April or May. If it's not worth your $10, wait until June and watch it on Netflix.

So opening day for Moana was $500k higher than Frozen, but fell over $1m below it on day 2. Guessing it ends several $m below Frozen for the weekend, but still a great start.

Deadline updated their prediction to $86M for the 5-day weekend.

Slayven

You'll be able to grab it for $10 at Walmart by April or May. If it's not worth your $10, wait until June and watch it on Netflix.

Deadline updated their prediction to $86M for the 5-day weekend.

Nah it is going to be in a 3 for 5 pack with Fantastic Four, and Need for Speed.

The story put me to sleep in video game form, I doubt putting it on the big screen will change that.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Every time I'm reminded that the AssCreed movie is coming, I remember that Jerry Bruckheimer made a Prince of Persia movie and turned it into an allegory for invading Iraq. That was a thing that actually happened.

Slayven

Every time I'm reminded that the AssCreed movie is coming, I remember that Jerry Bruckheimer made a Prince of Persia movie and turned it into an allegory for invading Iraq. That was a thing that actually happened.

You are the first person i have heard of watching that.

kswiston

I never purposely avoided Prince of Persia. I just didn't make a point of seeing it. Sort of like John Carter or the Lone Ranger.

Post-cable, movies are no longer just on for me to passively watch when I have nothing better to do.

kswiston

I almost went to the theater for John Carter (I had movie passes that were expiring at the end of the month), but I couldnt make time for a couple of weeks and after that my wife wanted to go to the Hunger Games instead.

nah John Carter sucked, the only good part of it was the main gal carrying everyone like a backpack
Main gal shoulda been Wonder Woman.

lynncollins_300.jpg

Slayven

John carter is one of those movies that is good, but not good enough to see in the theaters.

Loved it at home, also Battleship fits in that category too.

John carter is one of those movies that is good, but not good enough to see in the theaters.

Loved it at home, also Battleship fits in that category too.
I can agree to a certain extent with that description of John Carter. Still haven't brought myself to watch Battleship though.

kswiston

I think Fantastic Beasts and Doctor Strange set a tied record for the most consecutive films over $500M worldwide at (an eventual) 9 a piece for the Potterverse and the MCU.

Pixar had an 8-film streak going as well until The Good Dinosaur ruined it.

vinnygambini

I actually saw Fantastic Beasts tonight - fantastic film.

Praise me Bronson - no cheapy Tuesday movie for me this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom