• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•18-20•16 - Harry Potter's universe is a BEAST, Doctor who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

But similar to how the Hobbit was one book stretched into a trilogy, isn't this one book trying to be stretched into 5 films? Reviews I've seen seem to suggest some plot in FB is stretched thin similarly, so the comparison seem appropriate to me.

The book is just an encyclopedia of the beasts.

The movies plot is original.

spuckthew

But similar to how the Hobbit was one book stretched into a trilogy, isn't this one book trying to be stretched into 5 films? Reviews I've seen seem to suggest some plot in FB is stretched thin similarly, so the comparison seem appropriate to me.

It's pretty much an original story because the Fantastic Beasts 'book' is a 128-page reproduction of the textbook that first-year students use in the first Harry Potter movie.

EDIT: Beaten..

Cipherr

They're probably expecting at least Thor 2 numbers.

Damn they are feeling themselves then. Expecting 700$ for characters that aren't that popular in films that don't include some of the Avengers is pretty up there. I expect the likes of Spiderman to hit those numbers, and even Thor after being propped up by the Avengers films... But Black Panther might have to fight a bit to get to $700 million man.... Antman only did like $520 million.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
The only straight up BAD thing in Fantastic Beasts was the Jonny Depp reveal.

Even if he is fine as a casting choice (which is questionable), it basically deleted all the investment built up in Colin Ferrell's character over the course of the film.

Otherwise the movie was great, rounded out by a surprisingly bittersweet ending.

Absolutely deserves the success.

Also that mind-reader chick was hot AF.

ayy lmao at SLoP surpassing BvS. I myself didn't really think SLoP was anything great, but I found it a lot more watchable than most of BvS in comparison.

With SLoP also making it in at #5, this also makes four out of the the top five highest-grossing films this year being animated films (counting TJB when I say this).

Doctor Strange also sliding into the top ten also marks half of the top ten highest-grossing films being Disney ventures. With Moana and Rogue One on the way, they're most certainly gonna extend Disney's grip over the box-office this year even more. Pretty fascinating feat from the Mouse House overall.

BumRush

ayy lmao at SLoP surpassing BvS. I myself didn't really think SLoP was anything great, but I found it a lot more watchable than most of BvS.

With SLoP also making it in at #5, this also makes almost four out of the the top five highest-grossing films this year animated films (counting TJB when I say this).

Doctor Strange also sliding into the top ten also marks half of the top ten highest-grossing films being Disney ventures. Pretty fascinating, With Moana and Rogue One on the way, they're most certainly gonna extend Disney's grip over the box-office this year even more.

This was absolutely the year of Disney, by a huge margin. A couple failures sprinkled in amongst a bunch of juggernauts. Next year probably won't be too much different (at least in regards to Disney making bank).

kswiston

Disney will make a ton of money every year. At least during the rest of this decade. I don't see how any other studio nabs first place in either 2017 or 2018.

kswiston

Nah, that Flash, Batman, and Aquaman. Cyborg is April 3, 2020.

That old schedule won't hold. It planned for no sequels in like 4 years other than a second Justice League and that's clearly BS.

Cyborg was tagged on the end, because that film is lowest priority. It's DCs Inhumans.

Sesha

Cyborg is still officially listed for 2020, but no way it doesn't fall off before then. Probably Green Lantern Corps as well. As movies like Birds of Prey and Dark Universe move forward (assuming they don't lose (more) directors or run into other problems), I think we'll see them do a massive.refresh of their slate some time before or after Justice League.

BumRush

Disney will make a ton of money every year. At least during the rest of this decade. I don't see how any other studio nabs first place in either 2017 or 2018.

Star wars / Avengers cycle damn near guarantees it. Throw their animated films in, live action fairytales and marvel solo films and they have a guaranteed 4+ spots out of 10 in the next 3 years.

rekameohs

Banned
Who knows if the schedule will keep but right now 2019 is Avengers 4, Toy Story 4, Indiana Jones 5, and Star Wars 9.

lol

Cyborg is still officially listed for 2020, but no way it doesn't fall off before then. Probably Green Lantern Corps as well. As movies like Birds of Prey and Dark Universe move forward (assuming they don't lose (more) directors or run into other problems), I think we'll see them do a massive.refresh of their slate some time before or after Justice League.

Less likely a massive refresh as adding a third and possibly fourth film each year. Key difference is not every movie is going through the same channels. Shazam and Dark Universe might be connected to the broader DCEU, but the productions are shaping up to be different.

Ross61

That old schedule won't hold. It planned for no sequels in like 4 years other than a second Justice League and that's clearly BS.

Cyborg was tagged on the end, because that film is lowest priority. It's DCs Inhumans.

I can't see WB would hold off on Darkseid, especially with Infinity War..Aquaman is still a go for 2018 since it's already starting production. Batman starting production next spring. Flash will probably be pushed back a little, if they haven't already found the replacement (like rumored).

Also with Johns taking a charge I do see Green Lantern a priority.

I can't see WB would hold off on Darkseid, especially with Infinity War..Aquaman is still a go for 2018 since it's already starting production. Batman starting production next spring. Flash will probably be pushed back a little, if they haven't already found the replacement (like rumored).

Also with Johns taking a charge I do see Green Lantern a priority.

What's the rumor? I haven't been keeping up on DCCU news lately.

BLACKLAC

Who knows if the schedule will keep but right now 2019 is Avengers 4, Toy Story 4, Indiana Jones 5, and Star Wars 9.

lol

ocq89.gif~original

Replicant

Yep not a fan of his acting in the film, or his character.

I'm guessing the character is supposed to be an innocent and clumsy with a hint of competency from time to time especially when in comes to handling Beasts. But what we got instead was borderline creepy and unsympathetic.

Rumor that WB may have already found the replacement for Rick Famuyiwa.

Ok, so I just looked it up, and they have now lost 2 directors over "creative differences".

Does WB just have no idea what they want to do with the movie and therefore keep bringing the wrong people on board, or is it just that they have no idea how to pull this Cinematic Universe thing together, and changes keep being made to fit other movies in the pipeline... and therefore "creative differences" keep happening? or maybe it's both...?

I've always been more of a Marvel Man myself, especially now when it comes to the MCU, but I would love it if DC put together some good efforts, as I've always loved their animated efforts (until some of the most recent).

BLACKLAC

Flash seems pretty difficult considering how broken the character is. Either have him fight other broken speedsters or have eye rolling ass pulls ala Apocalypse.

BLACKLAC

They can strip out a lot of the more broken aspects of the character.

The glimpse we get from the JL trailer seems pretty damn broken but I guess we have to see how it stacks up to a bullet. MCU Quicksilver had the best approach imo, fast but slower than a bullet.

kswiston

The glimpse we get from the trailer seems pretty damn broken but I guess we have to see compared to a bullet. MCU Quicksilver had the best approach imo, fast but slower than a bullet.

DC flash will probably be faster than a bullet, but I don't know if they will make him as fast or faster than the Fox version of Quicksilver. Superman is pretty fast though, so he has to be faster than that.

DC flash will probably be faster than a bullet, but I don't know if they will make him as fast or faster than the Fox version of Quicksilver. Superman is pretty fast though, so he has to be faster than that.

Well, they've already made him fast enough to travel into dreams... is that faster than a bullet?

At the end of the day the characters are as fast as the plot demands. AoU Quicksilver was faster than a bullet, until he wasn't. Apocalypse Quicksilver somehow has his punch caught, because his leg was bound (???). Flash CW, well, Barry's really dumb.

Ross61

Ok, so I just looked it up, and they have now lost 2 directors over "creative differences".

Does WB just have no idea what they want to do with the movie and therefore keep bringing the wrong people on board, or is it just that they have no idea how to pull this Cinematic Universe thing together, and changes keep being made to fit other movies in the pipeline... and therefore "creative differences" keep happening? or maybe it's both...?

I've always been more of a Marvel Man myself, especially now when it comes to the MCU, but I would love it if DC put together some good efforts, as I've always loved their animated efforts (until some of the most recent).

I'd only say they lost one director to 'creative differences". That first one wasn't really confirmed to be a director, just a screenwriter. He would have helmed it if he was more experienced.

kswiston

RIP Dr Strange.

Strange will be Marvel's third best new hero/franchise debut after Iron Man and Guardians of the Galaxy (second by worldwide gross), and is in line with their phase 2 stuff that didn't feature Iron Man. Anything over Thor 2 is gravy.

Damn they are feeling themselves then. Expecting 700$ for characters that aren't that popular in films that don't include some of the Avengers is pretty up there. I expect the likes of Spiderman to hit those numbers, and even Thor after being propped up by the Avengers films... But Black Panther might have to fight a bit to get to $700 million man.... Antman only did like $520 million.

Black Panther is my most anticipated MCU movie right now, but based on how some countries went out of their way to hide Finn in TFA and how Straight Outta Compton bombed overseas, I am having a hard time seeing BP beating Ant Man. Ant man should have done better as well, but regardless, Marvel has a knack for bringing their characters to the prominence. It's amazing to see how a z tier character like iron man is in the same level as batman now, or how captain america is in the same level as superman, and some random group with a talking racoon and tree that keeps repeating itself has a WW BO gross of $700MM.

Star wars / Avengers cycle damn near guarantees it. Throw their animated films in, live action fairytales and marvel solo films and they have a guaranteed 4+ spots out of 10 in the next 3 years.

Hopefully after Episode IX and Avengers 2019 they give those franchises a break for a few years.

The glimpse we get from the JL trailer seems pretty damn broken but I guess we have to see how it stacks up to a bullet. MCU Quicksilver had the best approach imo, fast but slower than a bullet.

I think, much like his sister, he just hadn't reached his full potential yet. He also seemed to get tired unlike Fox's QS which just provides for some random fun scene, but you can't really develop the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom