• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•18-20•16 - Harry Potter's universe is a BEAST, Doctor who?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully after Episode IX and Avengers 2019 they give those franchises a break for a few years.

It'll be interesting to see Disney sticks with trilogies for Star Wars. We'll see how these anthology movies perform, because a break from 9 to 10 filled with yearly side stories could work. Don't see them letting a year go without a Star Wars movie of some sort.

Beasts setting self justification, bowing wayyy high update : 145.5M + 75M = $

Okay, between this post and all the Suicide Squad ones from the other months, you have to be a joke character posting on behalf of WB now.

SS Fan drive ? 13days to 509M WW.1/2

Need a bank account to putup 700M in cash...wait...critics freeze DC accounts in banks...imma take a disney locker!1/2

My highly confidential sources around POTUS which cannot be named at the moment are revealing that WB is F.O.A.T, infact it is not making money at all...it is making Milk..because money is paper and milk is calcium. And if you drink milk you will get shock and die at point.so basically it is nothing than a walking dead around its grave!

SS Bemoaning 636M WW, critics strings abruptly broke, Probably ran to Disney's refugee camp! ssgotstds.gif

SS Bemoaning 636M WW, critics strings abruptly broke, Probably ran to Disney's refugee camp! ssgotstds.gif

WB got 699.4 tomatoes but review aint 0.6 1/2

Wow SS legs got bolt branding, -28% - 4.1M wknd vision.

Skwads seedings grew to new area (panning grows B0), this dick is 760Msize

Fuckin cow cash, SS total already 740M, now it need another 99cent and 1cent for advertisment cost...anothe 2billion to fukin break10trillion

I have no idea what you are on about in half of those.

kswiston

Deadline has Moana at $50M for the 3-day and $75-80M for the 5-day (wed-sun) Thanksgiving period.

They have Fantastic Beasts at $37-40M for the 3-day weekend and $65-75M for the 5-day

Personally, I don't think their 5-day projection for FB makes much sense given the 3-day estimate. Last Year Mockingjay pt 2 made $76M on the 5-day Thanksgiving period, with a Fri-Sun of $52M.

kswiston

The exchange rate hurts its USD total, but Doctor Strange passed Winter Soldier in China today to become the fourth highest grossing MCU film in local currency. Age of Ultron and Civil War are well ahead of everything else. Iron Man 3 will end up about 5% ahead of Doctor Strange.

Deadline has Moana at $50M for the 3-day and $75-80M for the 5-day (wed-sun) Thanksgiving period.

They have Fantastic Beasts at $37-40M for the 3-day weekend and $65-75M for the 5-day

Personally, I don't think their 5-day projection for FB makes much sense given the 3-day estimate. Last Year Mockingjay pt 2 made $76M on the 5-day Thanksgiving period, with a Fri-Sun of $52M.

Is that good? Seems horrible for Moana and good for FB, but idk.

The exchange rate hurts it's USD total, but Doctor Strange passed Winter Soldier in China today to become the fourth highest grossing MCU film in local currency. Age of Ultron and Civil War are well ahead of everything else. Iron Man 3 will end up about 5% ahead of Doctor Strange.

Seems like Marvel is top dog for foreign franchises in China, probably over Star Wars there as well, but I want to wait for Rogue One's reception first before I call it.

The strong dollar has affected a lot of movies total gross this year, I believe.

Dahbomb

Okay, between this post and all the Suicide Squad ones from the other months, you have to be a joke character posting on behalf of WB now.

I have no idea what you are on about in half of those.
One of the most hilarious things I have seen on GAF in a long time.

How is that junior not perma'd yet?

kswiston

One of the most hilarious things I have seen on GAF in a long time.

How is that junior not perma'd yet?

Is he doing anything worth a banning?

Deadline's early numbers don't necessarily mean a ton. Their Fantastic Beasts domestic number was spot on last weekend, but the overseas number was way off. Doctor Strange and Trolls were both way off as well at the beginning of the month. I just post them for tracking purposes.

Disney stated that they would be happy with anything over $70M during Moana's 5-day launch. Tangled made $69M during that period. Frozen made a $93M.

EDIT: Moana is currently sitting at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes after 50 reviews, with an average of 8.2/10. I am not too worried about its chances of success.

BumRush

Is he doing anything worth a banning?

Deadline's early numbers don't necessarily mean a ton. Their Fantastic Beasts domestic number was spot on last weekend, but the overseas number was way off. Doctor Strange and Trolls were both way off as well at the beginning of the month. I just post them for tracking purposes.

Disney stated that they would be happy with anything over $70M during Moana's 5-day launch. Tangled made $69M during that period. Frozen made a $93M.

EDIT: Moana is currently sitting at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes after 50 reviews, with an average of 8.2/10. I am not too worried about its chances of success.

Buzz on moana seems really high, to be honest. I agree there's not much to worry about if you're disney

CassSept

Do trackers expect Rogue One to be a leggy film? There will be less initial rush for sure than for Ep VII, but December legs can take it far if it gets good w-o-m.

So I had no idea what Nocturnal Animals was and I looked it up and found this poster...

Holy fuck is it hideous.

Yeah the poster is hideous, but the movie itself is definitely recommendable and has one of the tensest scenes I have ever seen on film. I was on verge of walking out with how sick one scene made feel and it wasn't due to gore or anything but absolute dread it conveyed.

How many high frame-rate theaters did Billy Lynn open up in exactly? Was shocked to see a local theater here in Canada is actually playing it.

Really surreal experience by the way. Movie itself was somewhat of a dud, but if you're interested in film and film technology then I'd absolutely recommend trying to see it.

...huh

Well my local Cineplex has dubbed it Immersive Cinema so I have no clue. No idea if the version I watched was exactly 120FPS, but it definitely was not the norm.

edit: apparently a few cities actually are playing it in 120 FPS (New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington DC, Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver). It's just 120 FPS, 4K and 3D that's incredibly limited.

milanbaros

Member?
Buzz on moana seems really high, to be honest. I agree there's not much to worry about if you're disney

I think with the decades Disney films last in terms of shelf life, the critical reception is almost as important as + or - $10m on opening weekend.

Doctor Strange looks set to come in 3/7 for first in series Marvel domestic adjusted. Disney must be very happy with its performance.

BumRush

I think with the decades Disney films last in terms of shelf life, the critical reception is almost as important as + or - $10m on opening weekend.

Doctor Strange looks set to come in 3/7 for first in series Marvel domestic adjusted. Disney must be very happy with its performance.

Something else that's often overlooked with Disney film performance: the sheer volume of merchandise. I'd venture that disney films don't play by normal merchandising rules (i.e. their films make a looooot more).

The cars series has merchandise sales of something like $10B...

kswiston

$9.3M for Fantastic Beasts on Tuesday going into Thanksgiving weekend.

Moana made $2.6M from Tuesday preview shows.

Here are some recent preview totals for Disney films:

Zootopia - $1.7M
Big Hero 6 - $1.4M
The Good Dinosaur (same weekend last year) - $1.3M
Frozen - $1.2M

So $2.6M is a solid start

Allied made $600k in previews. Bad Santa 2 made $350k.

BumRush

$9.3M for Fantastic Beasts on Tuesday going into Thanksgiving weekend.

Moana made $2.6M from Tuesday preview shows.

Here are some recent preview totals for Disney films:

Zootopia - $1.7M
Big Hero 6 - $1.4M
The Good Dinosaur (same weekend last year) - $1.3M
Frozen - $1.2M

So $2.6M is a solid start

Allied made $600k in previews. Bad Santa 2 made $350k.

You taking your daughter this weekend?

KHlover

Banned
But similar to how the Hobbit was one book stretched into a trilogy, isn't this one book trying to be stretched into 5 films? Reviews I've seen seem to suggest some plot in FB is stretched thin similarly, so the comparison seem appropriate to me.
The "book" is literally just monster descriptions with comments by Harry, Hermione and Ron. As long as Rowling doesn't run out of ideas she could write a hundred "Fantastical Beasts" movies. Literally not comparable to the Hobbit

kswiston

You taking your daughter this weekend?

Probably not this weekend since my mother-in-law is visiting. Maybe this coming Tuesday or next weekend.

$15.7M opening Wednesday for Moana. Tangled made $11.9M on its opening Wednesday. Frozen made $15.2M. Moana sets a new Thanksgiving opening day record, though Frozen had a slightly bigger Wednesday proper.

Moana will likely end up somewhere between $85-95M over the 5-day weekend.

Fantastic Beasts made $11M on Wednesday. Its 5-day holiday total should end up in the 57-62M range, with the weekend proper somewhere close to or just over $40M.

Strange and Trolls continue to hold pretty well.

Most of the other openers are disappointing compared to their tracking.

BumRush

Probably not this weekend since my mother-in-law is visiting. Maybe this coming Tuesday or next weekend.

$15.7M opening Wednesday for Moana. Tangled made $11.9M on its opening Wednesday. Frozen made $15.2M. Moana sets a new Thanksgiving opening day record, though Frozen had a slightly bigger Wednesday proper.

Moana will likely end up somewhere between $85-95M over the 5-day weekend.

Fantastic Beasts made $11M on Wednesday. Its 5-day holiday total should end up in the 57-62M range, with the weekend proper somewhere close to or just over $40M.

Strange and Trolls continue to hold pretty well.

Most of the other openers are disappointing compared to their tracking.

Wonder if WOM will push moana over $100M

kswiston

Thursday numbers are up:

1) Moana - $9.9M - $26M total
2) Fantastic Beasts - $9.6M - $111M total
3) Doctor Strange - $2.5M - $192M total
4) Allied - $2.3M - $5M total
5) Arrival - $2.2M - $51M total
6) Bad Santa 2 - $1.4M - $3M total
7) Trolls - $1.2M - $125M total
8) Hacksaw Ridge - $1.2M - $47M total

Fox re-arranged their release schedule a couple of days ago.

- The 10/6/17 Fox/Marvel film that was suspected to be Gambit is gone. Replacing it on that date is Kingsman the Golden circle (which is no longer being sent to die in June).
- Alien Covenant moves from August to May 19, the same weekend as 4 other wide releases (Annabelle 2, Baywatch, The Nut Job 2, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid 4)
- Fox is attempting to claim 11/2/18 with an untitled Marvel film (Gambit?). The live action Mulan, and an untitled Paramount film are currently in the same slot.
- Fox is also claiming 2/14/19 with an untitled Marvel film. Deadpool 2?

Looking at China, Fantastic Beasts scored an opening day of $11.3M. Moana opened to $2.0M on its opening day. The Japanese animated film Your Name is also gearing up for a big opening in China. Perhaps in the same neighbourhood as Fantastic Beasts.

BumRush

Thursday numbers are up:

1) Moana - $9.9M - $26M total
2) Fantastic Beasts - $9.6M - $111M total
3) Doctor Strange - $2.5M - $192M total
4) Allied - $2.3M - $5M total
5) Arrival - $2.2M - $51M total
6) Bad Santa 2 - $1.4M - $3M total
7) Trolls - $1.2M - $125M total
8) Hacksaw Ridge - $1.2M - $47M total

Fox re-arranged their release schedule a couple of days ago.

- The 10/6/17 Fox/Marvel film that was suspected to be Gambit is gone. Replacing it on that date is Kingsman the Golden circle (which is no longer being sent to die in June).
- Alien Covenant moves from August to May 19, the same weekend as 4 other wide releases (Annabelle 2, Baywatch, The Nut Job 2, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid 4)
- Fox is attempting to claim 11/2/18 with an untitled Marvel film (Gambit?). The live action Mulan, and an untitled Paramount film are currently in the same slot.
- Fox is also claiming 2/14/19 with an untitled Marvel film. Deadpool 2?

Man, alien moved INTO that slot? What was the August slot it moved out of?

Penguin

I figured that Deadpool would be a 2018 release

3 years seems like a long time, but guess it really isn't.

Any word on the X-men spin-off.... Er the Young Mutant one

kswiston

Those untitled Fox/Marvel films aren't named yet. I just gave my guesses. As far as I know, Deadpool 2 was never dated. Black Panther is already in the mid Feb slot in 2018 though.

Man, alien moved INTO that slot? What was the August slot it moved out of?

The Emoji movie and some small stuff. No idea why it moved.

Those untitled Fox/Marvel films aren't named yet. I just gave my guesses. As far as I know, Deadpool 2 was never dated. Black Panther is already in the mid Feb slot in 2018 though.

The Emoji movie and some small stuff. No idea why it moved.

Could it be Fox is just that confident about it?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Alien v Predator and Prometheus both had multiples in the low 2's so I don't think the release date matters that much domestically tbh. The upside is limited - this isn't Apes.

kswiston

Alien v Predator and Prometheus both had multiples in the low 2's so I don't think the release date matters that much domestically tbh. The upside is limited - this isn't Apes.

Prometheus was about 2.5x OW, which is pretty standard in the summer.

The issue with the May date with be screen availability. None of those other 4 movies are likely to be huge (Baywatch may be a moderate breakout), but they still eat up screens. Pirates 5 is also the following week, eating up most of whatever PLF/IMAX screens Alien was playing on.

August 2017 is pretty dead. The weekend following Aug 4th sees the release of a future Edgar Wright bomb and the CHiPs remake. The rest of August isn't much better.

kswiston

Isn't May always significantly more busy than August?

Yes, because the former wisdom was that August was a fairly dead period of box office, when May releases benefited from summer legs later in their runs.

However, the summer is so crowded now that May films are in second run theatres by the end of June unless they are The Avengers or something. August is not only able to support big films, but also has substantially more breathing room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom