• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 11•18-20•16 - Harry Potter's universe is a BEAST, Doctor who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlorgan

I'll probably go see Assassin's Creed in the theater at least once. It looks like it'll at least have some good stunt work.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates:

1) Moana - $21.8M - $47M total
2) Fantastic Beasts - $18.6M - $130M total
3) Doctor Strange - $5.4M - $197M total
4) Allied - $4.9M - $10M total
5) Arrival - $4.5M - $56M total
6) Trolls - $4.2M - $129M total
7) Almost Christmas - $2.3M - $31M total
8) Bad Santa 2 - $2.3M - $5M total
9) Hacksaw Ridge - $2.2M - $49M total

Moana is more front loaded than Frozen was. Expect an $80M 5-day. I'd also guess that the total will be more in line with Big Hero 6 than Zootopia or Frozen. We'll have to wait and see though.

Fantastic Beasts is turning out to not be font loaded. I am not convinced that it will manage a 3x opening weekend multiplier (around $225M), but it will probably be pretty close.

milanbaros

Member?
Friday Studio Estimates:

Moana is more frontloaded than Frozen was. Expect an $80M 5-day. I'd also guess that the total will be more in line with Big Hero 6 than Zootopia or Frozen. We'll have to wait and see though.

Great for Strange, Beasts and Arrival.

kswiston

Great for Strange, Beasts and Arrival.

Thor The Dark World was sitting at $180M domestic at the same point, coming off a $4.48M Black Friday.

After Sunday, Doctor Strange would hit $225M domestic if it simply made the same as Thor 2 did post Thanksgiving Weekend.

Anything over $233M domestic beats Deadpool for the best superhero legs of the year.

Penguin

Going back a page, I've seen way too many video game adaptions, I think enough to make me cynical of seeing any of them in theaters really.

And AssCreed seems to be focused on the element of the game most people just wanna get through as quickly as possible.

Thor The Dark World was sitting at $180M domestic at the same point, coming off a $4.48M Black Friday.

After Sunday, Doctor Strange would hit $225M domestic if it simply made the same as Thor 2 did post Thanksgiving Weekend.

Anything over $233M domestic beats Deadpool for the best superhero legs of the year.

Impressive if it does that. Deadpool had the benefit of having that monstrous opening weekend too get the final gross higher. It is still impressive how well that film did considering the rating and budget.

BumRush

Friday Studio Estimates:

Moana is more front loaded than Frozen was. Expect an $80M 5-day. I'd also guess that the total will be more in line with Big Hero 6 than Zootopia or Frozen. We'll have to wait and see though.

Fantastic Beasts is turning out to not be font loaded. I am not convinced that it will manage a 3x opening weekend multiplier (around $225M), but it will probably be pretty close.

Good start for Moana, and nice to see Beasts and Strange holding pretty well.

kswiston

Fantastic Beasts is having a good weekend overseas as well. China opened to $11M yesterday, and might end up close to $40M for the weekend. Japan has a really strong opening holiday, and seems to be heading to a decent first weekend.

Fantastic Beasts was sitting at $357M Worldwide as of Friday. It should end up somewhere between $435-450M worldwide by the end of this weekend.

milanbaros

Member?
Fantastic Beasts is having a good weekend overseas as well. China opened to $11M yesterday, and might end up close to $40M for the weekend. Japan has a really strong opening holiday, and seems to be heading to a decent first weekend.

Fantastic Beasts was sitting at $357M Worldwide as of Friday. It should end up somewhere between $435-450M worldwide by the end of this weekend.

What do you think was the internal bar for success? Whatever it was, think they must be happy.

kswiston

What do you think was the internal bar for success? Whatever it was, think they must be happy.

It's always hard to know how realistic movie execs are going to be with their expectations (Sony expected ASM2 to have a shot at taking the franchise into the $1B+ club), but I can't imagine most sane people being disappointed with its run. $750M +/- $50M depending on legs overseas is a pretty solid base to work with. Especially if the next film starts to tie in more closely with Potter lore people actually care about.

The Domestic total is in the range I have been seeing from analysts for months, with the opening weekend a bit lower and the subsequent legs a bit better.

milanbaros

Member?
It's always hard to know how realistic movie execs are going to be with their expectations (Sony expected ASM2 to have a shot at taking the franchise into the $1B+ club), but I can't imagine most sane people being disappointed with its run. $750M +/- $50M depending on legs overseas is a pretty solid base to work with. Especially if the next film starts to tie in more closely with Potter lore people actually care about.

The Domestic total is in the range I have been seeing from analysts for months, with the opening weekend a bit lower and the subsequent legs a bit better.

Thanks. I have to agree. They would probably take the legs and reviews over a bigger gross or opening weekend.

I'm guessing $275MM domestic and $800MM WW for FB. Too optimistic?

kswiston

I'm guessing $275MM domestic and $800MM WW for FB. Too optimistic?

Yes for domestic. This week might be fooling you, but the weekdays next week will be down 70-85% depending on the day. A 60% drop next weekend is probably about the best case scenario as well. Thanksgiving week is majorly inflated.

Fantastic Beasts is just shy of $5M ahead of where Doctor Strange was on its second Friday, but things will quickly begin to return to normal starting today. Fantastic Beasts' second Sat-Sun gross will likely be about even or a little less than Doctor Strange's second Sat-Sun (with Sunday definitely being less). The $4-5M lead will be gone within the next 10 days, with Doctor Strange pulling ahead by several million before the X-Mas Holidays.

Given that Doctor Strange is likely to end up somewhere between $230-245M domestic, I'd say that $230-235M is about the best case scenario for Fantastic Beasts.

I suppose $525M could happen overseas. It depends on holds.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) Moana - $55.5M - $81M total
2) Fantastic Beasts - $46.1M - $156M total
3) Doctor Strange - $13.4M - $205M total

Penguin

Really good hold for Fantastic Beasts,wonder if Potter fans were holding out to see if it was worth checking out before seeing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom