• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus Previews

Charcoal

Quantum Break baby.

HeavenlyGraciousBuffalo.gif
Nightmare fuel

Our preview: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2017/07/hands_on_blasting_baddies_in_wolfenstein_ii_the_new_colossus

In short, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus is shaping up in a very good way. It seems to have successfully taken the positive ingredients of The New Order while evidently acting on feedback of the more negative kind. The New Colossus, in the handful of hours we had with it, built a feeling of struggle and defiance and introduced us to an array of characters we cared about while coherently combining them in an enjoyable narrative. We want to know what’ll go down in this new Nazi America beyond who we’ll be filling with lead next and that’s a really important step in the right direction. We still get to blast heaps of Nazis and robot ninjas to pieces, but we also get more of a feeling as to why we’re doing it – sign us right up for the rest come 27th October.

delqhic

Unconfirmed Member

As an addendum, one paragraph my editor removed but I'd still like to make light of is this:

The highlight of taking the time to eavesdrop on these conversations has to be two men queueing for the cinema; one of them suggests they should come back on Saturday, while the other asks if they should make it a double date and bring "Mary-Jane and Mandy" - two very common street names for the illegal drugs marijuana and MDMA. Interestingly, and potentially immersion breaking to some, is the use of the term Mandy to describe MDMA, whereas that's normally a British word and Molly is a much more common street name in the U.S.

Easily the funniest part of the section I played.

jacobeid

Banned
I'm trying to go in as blind as possible, but I'm curious about whether picking up ammo/health/items will work the same as The New Order and The Old Blood (i.e., pick everything up individually) or if they changed that.

Doesn't matter much to me either way since I play on PC and can point to objects to click on more easily than with a controller. Just wondering.

I'm trying to go in as blind as possible, but I'm curious about whether picking up ammo/health/items will work the same as The New Order and The Old Blood (i.e., pick everything up individually) or if they changed that.

Doesn't matter much to me either way since I play on PC and can point to objects to click on more easily than with a controller. Just wondering.

I'm curious about that too. Though it never seemed to bother me pressing square/E to pick up stuff. I was usually so amped up on adrenaline I just kept hammering that button without thinking about it.

Johndoey

Banned
Looks incredible. I'm curious why they made Wyatt all "Groovy, Man!" I don't remember him being that way.

He's been using acid apparently. Anyway he needed to mellow out.
--
I still really want to know how they get Bj back on his feet.

jett

D-Member
Looks great. Not gonna say day one though, I'll let some other AMD users be guinea pigs for this game. :p

jacobeid

Banned
I'm curious about that too. Though it never seemed to bother me pressing square/E to pick up stuff. I was usually so amped up on adrenaline I just kept hammering that button without thinking about it.

Yup. At worst it was a minor annoyance for me, but I know that it did really bother some people. It would be nice to see the devs have a toggle button in the options to let those who want to just run over ammo (aka modern convenience) do so and let those who want a nostalgic Wolfenstein experience pick up items individually.

Resisted the first time I saw some stuff, but the quality of the visuals in everything I've seen just look incredible. The aural and visual feedback on these weapons just looks fantastic. The smoke from the gun, the recoil, the sound, the impact on enemies.

It all just looks incredible. Only watched the Eurogamer vid (Aoife has to be one of the most entertaining people in games) but I've seen enough.

I didn't realize DOOM engine was confirmed.

Just snagged it on CDKeys.

Lol Nazi USA yet they still speak English?
Missed opportunity more like immersion breaking :(

That's actually worked into the story, which takes place just as a policy is about to be put in place requiring all US citizens to learn German. It's in the strawberry shake video and the "German or Else!" video.

CHC

This is going to be the best shooter of the decade.

Just preordered it now, in fact.

It comes out to 32 dollars on CDKeys.com if you use their 5% off Facebook coupon (you don't need a Facebook account to redeem it).

Usually their prices increase as launch draws closer, so this is probably the lowest price it will be until many months after the game's release.

Aangster

By the looks of it, was America conquered in stages? From the Terror Billy figurine promotional video, the country looks to be divided into three (administrative?) territories. Certainly explains why the language transition deadline is as late as 1961.

From the PlayStation Access video, she was picking up ammo automatically but having to manually pick up health. I'm not sure about armour.

CHC

By the looks of it, was America conquered in stages? From the Terror Billy figurine promotional video, the country looks to be divided into three (administrative?) territories. Certainly explains why the language transition deadline is as late as 1962.

Yeah it seems like the actual logistics of the takeover are sort of a concern, which I love. The German language "deadline" is amazing, haha....

This is going to be the best shooter of the decade.

Ya know, I'm not all for hyperbole and am a big proponent of keeping expectations in check, as I believe it's critical to having a good experience with games.

That said, I think you're right. DOOM engine, likely to have a wayyyyy better narrative than DOOM, with what appear to be some solid NPCs. And the combat looks fun and frenetic.

I am really looking forward to it.

E: Also, Max Hass.

GavinUK86

It seems that ammo is automatically picked up this time as are health packs, up to your maximum. You need to manually pick up more to overcharge. That's what I gather from these various gameplay videos.

I've already seen enough of this game. I never really go on blackout but this is one where I think I can do it. I know enough about what to expect (and have seen enough footage at E3 and elsewhere) that I can comfortably wait for the game without seeing anymore of the scenarios. (I kinda already wish I didn't know about the wheelchair bit.)

But I'm glad to hear it is looking great! And that line about a "different point of view" -- OMG HAHAHAHA.

Drewfonse

Yeah, uh....GOOD LAWD

Can't wait for this. Easily my most eagerly awaited game this year. What a nice graphical upgrade. Wow.

Top Bottom