• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman texted "driving drunk woo" just before fatal crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hex

Banned
0.178 Per mille? Sorry, but I wouldn't call that drunk.

Didn't take long for the first to arrive.
You usually top that when you drive?
It is pathetic that DUIs are treated so lightly that people get off so easily and that there are so many lawyers out there who thrive on making DUIs go away.

lem0n

Real question is, did the driver of the truck even notice the Smart t-boning him?

Really though, what a dumbass, lock her up for life. Absolutely zero tolerance for drunk drivers, let alone those that text and drive.

Lagamorph

How the hell is she pleading not guilty? She was twice the legal limit two hours after the crash so at the time of the crash she'd have been even more over!

She was driving whilst drunk and texting, blasted through a red light, smashed into a truck and her passenger was killed. How do you even begin to build a defence to that with the evidence they have?

Rival

Gold Member
The only way this could be worse is if she was snapping pics with a selfie stick too. I hope she goes to prison for a long time. Dumbass.

Kozak

Banned
As stupid it is what she did, I do feel some sympathy towards her. She acted on a sudden rush of emotions that she will regret for the rest of her life. I hope the friend wasn't put in a situation where she thought that being with her in that car was a better idea than leaving her inside the car alone.

RIP to her friend and I hope her ex-boyfriend does not blame himself at all. My condolences to the families involved.

As stupid it is what she did, I do feel some sympathy towards her. She acted on a sudden rush of emotions that she will regret for the rest of her life. I hope the friend wasn't put in a situation where she thought that being with her in that car was a better idea than leaving her inside the car alone.

RIP to her friend and I hope her ex-boyfriend does not blame himself at all. My condolences to the families involved.

Yeah, I don't want to be saying things like "she should have died or get the death sentence!" because I have no clue what was going through her mind at the time or still is. Break-ups can definitely make you go through the full spectrum of emotions and that can have disastrous results, and of course one is all it takes to ruin a life even if the person is otherwise stable.

That being said, no way would I justify this. If she's in jail for a decade+, I have no problem with that even if I can feel sympathy for her and the situation.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Are you fucking serious?

I agreed with the poster you quoted, if I can choose between her life and the passenger she killed. The drunk driver should be the one that died.

Unfortunately life isn't that convenience, I hope she live long and suffer. what she done is unforgivable.

I agreed with the poster you quoted, if I can choose between her life and the passenger she killed. The drunk driver should be the one that died.

Unfortunately life isn't that convenience, I hope she live long and suffer. what she done is unforgivable.

Everyone deserves forgiveness. To wish suffering or death unto any person is wrong.

Reminds me of this

naavONo.jpg

He died that night http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/09/19/aspiring-rapper-drunk-tweets-yolo-just-before-fatal-car-crash/

No sympathy at all

Siegcram

Fuck drunk drivers. Scum of the earth.

Also, this thread gives some real insight into some people's reading comprehension.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not condoning drinking and driving, I think his point is she was not out of her mind drunk. I'm fairly confident I could hide .178, I actually know I could. She was too drunk to be behind the wheel but that level is not pissed or anything.

That's cool, we'll all trust you over the legal limit set by the government and we'll put our lives and safety in your hands.

Sigh.

Shit like this happens because of ignorant and irresponsible people like you decide arbitrarily that 'you can handle it' and then have another drink, go out and kill some fucking innocent person. This isn't a game. By all means have a few drinks and then see if you can balance on a handrail on a bridge high over a freezing cold river. Then the only person you affect if your amazing judgement is off, is yourself.

Red

A quick conversion for those in countries who don't measure blood alcohol as grams per 100 milliliters:
.178 %BAC =
178 milligrams per 100 milliliters of blood (I think this is the UK's scale, which prohibits driving over 80 mg/100mL)
38.7 mmol per liter of blood
1.78 grams per one liter of blood (%w/v)

Not that there is any level of drunkenness that's okay to drive at. Only to clarify some confusion.

She was being reckless with her own life, the life of her friend, and the lives of any people she might have run into on the road that day. I hope she spends a good amount of time in prison and is never allowed behind the wheel again.

OuterLimits

Feel horrible for the family and friends of the deceased. She will have the live with the guilt that she killed her friend.

I hate driving during the middle of the night but I often do since I finish work around 1am. Not many cars on the road but it seems like quite a few of the ones that are have drivers who have been drinking.

I have had a couple close calls over the years. The scariest occurred several years ago while driving in the right lane on the interstate at 1:30am. A car sped by me in the middle lane heading the wrong way. It was a super foggy night so I didn't see the car until it was passing me. I was only driving about 50mph because of the weather. The car going the wrong way was probably going over 80mph. Glad I wasn't in the middle lane. I pulled over and called the state police. Hopefully they caught the person.

Shadybiz

Horrible waste of life. I'm sure she could have taken a cab or found a place to sleep it off. I hope they throw the book at her.

^^^ Probably either didn't see it because she was drunk, or didn't see it because she was texting.

Raiden

Banned
I told u I was hardcore

Edit: oh wait, she's alive. Huh. Well this isn't nearly as apt.

I'm surprised a smart car has the ability to deliver a fatal crash to a truck. How goddamn fast was she going for that?

EDIT: Okay, so truck guy didn't get killed, much more sense.

I don't understand. Is she dead and the police are charging her with DUI manslaughter?

She could have killed someone, don't drive if you're drunk.

Edit: Damn I just saw that she killed her friend, well, good luck to live with that in your mind...

There are texts where she's BRAGGING about it?

Lock her up and throw away the key. What a monster. Poor victim.

She did? The truck driver she t-boned, right?

Edit- I read the full article at the link; it was her passenger. God damn. I'm glad the other innocent in the truck she hit survived.

lolkarma?

Reading hard yes

At first I thought that she was the one who died. Sad to hear that it was somebody else, but I'm "relieved" that at least it was her passenger rather than the driver of the other vehicle, as her passenger shares some of the blame for letting her not only drive drunk, but also texting.

Dago has pleaded not guilty to DUI manslaughter, vehicular homicide and two counts of DUI with damage to a person.

Bitch, you're fucking guilty. At least admit to it.

I think drunk drivers are some of the biggest scumbags on earth and I absolutely can't stand the fact that the drunk driver is almost NEVER the one that is killed. I am not saying they need to die, but it is always somebody else that dies while the drunk driver survives.

I really wish this country would actually take DUIs seriously. I worked at a jail for a while and you could see what people were in for and you'd sometimes see "DUI: 3rd or more." I think after 1 you should get your license suspended for 5 years. If you get caught driving within those 5 years, drunk or not, you should go to jail for 5 years. Second one should be 15 years. Might be extreme, but we need to do something.

DarkKyo

God damn, why is it that the losers who cause these drunk driving accidents survive them about 75% of the time, but kill everyone else around them? It's bizarre.

Dryk

I wonder what goes through someone's head when their drunk and depressed friend is driving them around while texting. Whatever it is it can't be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom