• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman has surpassed Suicide Squad and BvS domestic Box Office

Astral Dog

No doubt, but it's all relative, and a movie with Batman AND Superman should have made more than just "a shit ton of money".

I don't get why Suicide Squad was such a big hit considering it had no real brand cache prior to release. I blame Millennials.

Really,? hint, puddin

Never would have thought that this was even remotely possible.
My optimistic prediction for the US was around 250 million I believe.

Now, I'm prepared for Aquaman to shatter my expectations as well. And if it does, I will give all credit to Black Manta, supreme asshole emperor of the seas.

Really,? hint, puddin

Yeah, but why was Harley Quinn such a bit hit? She was created about 25 years ago in BTAS, yet the general public didn't even know she existed.

Did the costume redesign really capture people? Was it Margot Robbie? I dunno, just seems like a surprising reason for Suicide Squad to have done well, given the anonymity of the character to the general public beforehand.

MartyStu

BvS may have been critically lambasted, did less numbers, and just wasn't as good as Wonder Woman, yes. But hating on the movie is a boring and tired cliché at this point.

So Wonder Woman told an inspiring tale featuring a powerful immigrant freshly introduced and seeing our world for the first time, and that's good, and people needed it.

hXrgL9W.gif

BvS told a dark tale of an immigrant who has always been here, was a part of our world from the inside and felt he belonged, who then revealed his true power, and lost that sense of belonging when he saw how the America around him recoiled in fear.

I have the sense that if these movies grow shallow and weary the audience of their escapism, people will look back on BvS more kindly.

This attempt to rehabilitate the movie is just as boring and tired.

Alienous

Yeah, but why was Harley Quinn such a bit hit? She was created about 25 years ago in BTAS, yet the general public didn't even know she existed.

Did the costume redesign really capture people? Was it Margot Robbie? I dunno, just seems like a surprising reason for Suicide Squad to have done well, given the anonymity of the character to the general public beforehand.

I'd probably ascribe it to Harley Quinn's relationship with the Joker, which was something advertised in the trailers. So "puddin" is quite accurate - not so much Harley Quinn, but that she's the Joker's girlfriend.

caliph95

Damn, WW really killing it, that's truly great to hear for so many reasons.

Somehow I don't think Marvel really gives a fuck how they make it to a billion lol...
From the trailers of SM
(i know it's probably sony being sony)
don't be surprised if they add a picture of RDJ in the poster or trailer for BP

I was saying this in the BO thread yesterday, but: Marketing teams like to brag about that worldwide number because it's really, really big. But studios care way more about that domestic number.

Hitting a billion is good for fans building brickbats to swing over artificial rivalries.
Clearing $400mil domestic makes the studio a lot more money than clearing $400mil international.

I'd probably ascribe it to Harley Quinn's relationship with the Joker, which was something advertised in the trailers. So "puddin" is quite accurate - not so much Harley Quinn, but that she's the Joker's girlfriend.

People cared about the girlfriend to Leto's lousy Joker?

I still blame Millennials.

caliph95

I was saying this in the BO thread yesterday, but: Marketing teams like to brag about that worldwide number because it's really, really big. But studios care way more about that domestic number.

Hitting a billion is good for fans building brickbats to swing over artificial rivalries.
Clearing $400mil domestic makes the studio a lot more money than clearing $400mil international.
To add to it while it is different for each movie and is not exact but genrally movies make around 40- 50% of the domestic box office

Less so in the international markets,IIRC in china and what is used to estimate for global market in those entertainment articles it would be around 25%

Slayven

BvS will never stop being hated on because it's a piece of shit, and it's not going to look any better just because we've cleaned it off our shoes.

Glad to see Wondy showing the boys how it's done: make a good film. I'm so tickled at the performance.

Damn, swatting flies with sledgehammers

JCHandsom

BvS may have been critically lambasted, did less numbers, and just wasn't as good as Wonder Woman, yes. But hating on the movie is a boring and tired cliché at this point.

So Wonder Woman told an inspiring tale featuring a powerful immigrant freshly introduced and seeing our world for the first time, and that's good, and people needed it.

hXrgL9W.gif

BvS told a dark tale of an immigrant who has always been here, was a part of our world from the inside and felt he belonged, who then revealed his true power, and lost that sense of belonging when he saw how the America around him recoiled in fear.

I have the sense that if these movies grow shallow and weary the audience of their escapism, people will look back on BvS more kindly.

tenor.gif

Hero

After MoS, BvS, and SS, I swore off DCEU movies but the reviews and WoM for Wonder Woman made me go see it. Great movie, happy to see this doing well.

LionPride

Banned

hXrgL9W.gif

giphy.gif

It also told the tale of a crazed billionaire who tried to get a senator to drink his urine.

Jobbs

Banned
I hope for everyone's sake that studio brass realizes that having the movie be good rather than just jamming a bunch of shit into it can help box office figures.

BvS told a dark tale of an

If I went down a list of comic book characters who should be used as a vehicle to tell a dark and depressing tale of angst and hatred and inner conflict, Superman would probably be very last on the list. Last.

Hagi

It also told the tale of a crazed billionaire who tried to get a senator to drink his urine.

Probably the most believable part of the film.

Glad this is doing so well I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the sequel, hope Aquaman beats expectations as well.

Tagg9

Let's hope this drives home to the studios how important a movie's actual QUALITY is in relation to ticket sales.

jiiikoo

Banned
I still haven't seen the movie (don't feel like going to the cinema on my own) but I'm so glad the movie has gotten good reviews and has done well in the box office. Really happy to see that. As soon as it comes to iTunes/Blu-Ray I'll see it though.

kewlmyc

Good for Warner and WW. I guess this is what happens when you finally make a good movie.

There is no ceiling on DCEU box office.

Marvel better start sweating.

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves here. I still think GotG2 has WW beat. Even then, let's see any DC movie match Civil War or the Avengers movies.

Good. Hopefully from here on out this whole universe will shift direction.

Still boggles my mind how anyone could fuck up Batman and Superman together on the big screen for the first time. Considering all the comic books out there with these two, it almost writes and directs itself.

Mael

WW is the best super hero movie I've seen in quite a fucking while.
Really glad it turned out as well as it did.
I really didn't like anything to do with WW in BvS.
WW team proved me very wrong there and I'm pretty glad they did.

That meshes well with the immigrant losing all kind of sense that he belongs in the place he lived all his life...

Lothars

BvS will never stop being hated on because it's a piece of shit, and it's not going to look any better just because we've cleaned it off our shoes.

Glad to see Wondy showing the boys how it's done: make a good film. I'm so tickled at the performance.
Same, Wonder Woman being a good movie is just an ideal situation after how bad the rest of the dc movies have been. I still have very little faith on any of the rest of the DC movies coming out but at least I can be happy with Wonder Woman.

I love wondy and I'm glad it's doing so well :)

Now y'all dceu bros of mine, time to acknowledge my superior tastes and stop hating at me from when I told y'all that wondy > bvs

:>

Here's looking forward to more hits than misses from dceu! 👍

Shaanyboi

Banned

hXrgL9W.gif

BvS' thematic ambitions won't ever escape the utter failure of execution.

poutmeter

While the movie wasn't banned here in Jordan, none of the cinemas are risking to run it due to the boycott campaigns. Guess I'll have to wait for the BR release to watch it :(

I just hope the Justice League movie doesn't face the same issue later this year.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That tells you a lot about the quality of the respective films. BvS was truly terrible.

Certinty

Still think it's overrated. But at the same time it was far better than BvS and SS so I'm glad it's grossed more.

Litan

Let's not get too ahead of ourselves here. I still think GotG2 has WW beat. Even then, let's see any DC movie match Civil War or the Avengers movies.
I think all JL has to do to break a billion is, at the very least, be an okay movie.

Reeves' Batman will either pass a billion or get really close.

Superman is in this weird poace where he is one of the most recognizable heroes worldwide, yet no-one feels confident in saying his solo movies can pass that billion mark.

I so badly want something like All-Star Superman on the big screen.
The reason you always see people saying they think Supes is boring is because he hasn't been done justice on-screen since Reeves, and that movie, imo, hasn't aged well.

I don't understand being so surprised by this movie surpassing BvS and SS. Anyone genuinely THAT shocked is denying that lack of quality is what stopped BvS from reaching a billion. I'd argue it only made as much as it did off name brand alone. Hell, I thought it looked like shit in the trailers and sounded like shit from interviews and everything was telling me to stay away, and even I HAD to see it in theaters.

Batman will be better than all the mcu and dceu movies

lol

Top Bottom