• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman has surpassed Suicide Squad and BvS domestic Box Office

Well deserved. Movie stumbles pretty badly in the third act (which, to be fair, is true of plenty of other superhero films I could name, including in the MCU), but it's miles ahead of the other DCEU films by virtue of having two good acts and a genuinely likable, compelling protagonist.

Congrats. Guess what happens you make a good movie, you get good legs. Doubt Marvel's losing any sleep over this though, there's really no actual rivalry thankfully.

*slides Black Canary spec script across the table*

It's time, Warner Bros. It's time.

Very happy for the Wonder Woman crew. Well deserved win.

Black Canary barely has his own comic series in the past. There's no way she's getting a film greenlit, she may be involved with BOP though, lol.

Farsi

That massive boycott probably had about the same amount of people as Cyborg has fans so I doubt it made much of an impact at all.

giphy.gif

Whompa02

BvS may have been critically lambasted, did less numbers, and just wasn't as good as Wonder Woman, yes. But hating on the movie is a boring and tired cliché at this point.

So Wonder Woman told an inspiring tale featuring a powerful immigrant freshly introduced and seeing our world for the first time, and that's good, and people needed it.

hXrgL9W.gif

BvS told a dark tale of an immigrant who has always been here, was a part of our world from the inside and felt he belonged, who then revealed his true power, and lost that sense of belonging when he saw how the America around him recoiled in fear.

I have the sense that if these movies grow shallow and weary the audience of their escapism, people will look back on BvS more kindly.

The problem is that argument would never happen from the same god adoring crowd. If a Superman ever came to earth, the "god hates ____" crowd would never be against him. They would revel in his glory.

The narrative Snyder wrote doesn't consider the motivations of the people he's trying to depict. The scenario is just so painfully unrealistic and goes against all political norms. It's trying to be smart, and failing miserably. Not to mention the other slew of narrative faults the movie has.

The movie was garbage and will always be regarded as garbage. Painful acting, painful storytelling, painful pacing. Nothing redeeming, at all. It's actually shocking how poorly structured that movie was.

Teggy

Film execs: "hm, what other female superheroes could we add to the DCU? Well, this Power Girl character looks perfect!"

Schlorgan

Got a list of movies this summer that I want to see, but it's harder to go out to do stuff now that we have two dogs.

Wonder Woman, Apes and Spider-Man are all on my list because of the good reception (I didn't have much interest in seeing any of those until the reviews hit, but I do now).

Film execs: "hm, what other female superheroes could we add to the DCU? Well, this Power Girl character looks perfect!"
The casting will be based on which actress can pull off the boob window best.

Deserved success

Really amazed at the film , was expecting meh since it's D.C. but it was an awesome movie
Gal the goddess :D

Take the L OPman

Justice league fucked up having Cyborg
Could have been a huge hit if they made a teen titans movie, that property is huge

On one hand, I enjoyed Bats v Supes and Suicide Squad more.

On the other hand, I wish DC much success in all of their endeavors! So I'm happy ^^

BvS may have been critically lambasted, did less numbers, and just wasn't as good as Wonder Woman, yes. But hating on the movie is a boring and tired cliché at this point.

So Wonder Woman told an inspiring tale featuring a powerful immigrant freshly introduced and seeing our world for the first time, and that's good, and people needed it.

hXrgL9W.gif

BvS told a dark tale of an immigrant who has always been here, was a part of our world from the inside and felt he belonged, who then revealed his true power, and lost that sense of belonging when he saw how the America around him recoiled in fear.

I have the sense that if these movies grow shallow and weary the audience of their escapism, people will look back on BvS more kindly

Take that crazy to the IMDB boards... Jesus

Considering the rumoured price tag, it's probably the most profitable by a mile.

Anyways, deserved. Didn't like the final fight but evetything up to that point was really good.

DarkestHour

Banned
I remember the threads and posts here about how the movie was getting no coverage and it was being sent to die because a woman was in the leading role.

I remember the threads and posts here about how the movie was getting no coverage and it was being sent to die because a woman was in the leading role.

This happening doesn't mean none of that was true.

If anything, it just makes the fact that that did happen a lot more gross. We knew the movie would be fine if it was good, its gross that we still have to convince execs of that where women are concerned.

"YOU DON'T GET IT! THE BOOB WINDOW SYMBOLIZES HOW SHE HASN'T CHOSEN TO DEFINE HERSELF BY A SYMBOL, LIKE SUPERMAN! IT'S SUPER IMPORTANT TO HER CHARACTER, GUYS!"

I'm howling thinking of the thinkpieces.

God, they just wanna fap in the theater.

JCHandsom

I so badly want something like All-Star Superman on the big screen.\

You want to see a movie about the death/leaving of Superman right after we had him killed by Doomsday?

Actually, come to think of it, why are so many of the well-known Superman stories about Superman dying or peacing out: Red Son, Death of Superman, All-Star, Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow, etc.

Alienous

"YOU DON'T GET IT! THE BOOB WINDOW SYMBOLIZES HOW SHE HASN'T CHOSEN TO DEFINE HERSELF BY A SYMBOL, LIKE SUPERMAN! IT'S SUPER IMPORTANT TO HER CHARACTER, GUYS!"

But she doesn't believe in putting shields between herself and humanity. She leaves that space empty to show that she can be exposed and vulnerable, just like us

Litan

You want to see a movie about the death/leaving of Superman right after we had him killed by Doomsday?

Actually, come to think of it, why are so many of the well-known Superman stories about Superman dying or peacing out: Red Son, Death of Superman, All-Star, Whatever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow, etc.
I meant something that gets all that's awesome about the modern interpretation of the character right, not an adaptation of ASS (heh...).

Because (opinion warning) Superman is the biggest Gary Stu of all and eye-meltingly boring. He's practically invincible except for shenanigans (Magic, Kryptonite), and even then he just goes Super Saiyan and powers through it.

Supes is at his best when he's a villain (how to stop such a powerful force) like in
Injustice 1&2
, or when he's dead and other heroes have to fill in his shoes.

Wonder Woman is infinitely more interesting - backstory, powers, character, etc... Same goes for Bats.

geomon

I'm not surprised. I watched it again yesterday and there were still rows being filled up. This was on a Thursday morning showing.

I want to see the Power Girl that's currently appearing in Christopher Priest's Deathstroke. She's really fun.

I don't mind the classic version of Power Girl, she has some good stories. But most people only remember her because of the the boob window thing sadly.

caliph95

I want to see the Power Girl that's currently appearing in Christopher Priest's Deathstroke. She's really fun.

I don't mind the classic version of Power Girl, she has some good stories. But most people only remember her because of the the boob window thing sadly.
I can already hear the White Genocide and The SJWS assembling

Makes you wonder what BvS would have made if it had actually been a good movie.

Non shit Nolan Man of Steel with the look of Malick and the action of Snyder (which the first trailer implied).
Nolan-verse Bale-man.

The sky would have been the limit and Sculli would have been crying about a pulverized Abatar boxoffice.

a916

That massive boycott probably had about the same amount of people as Cyborg has fans so I doubt it made much of an impact at all.

That's uncalled for good sir!! You're going to look SOOOOO foolish when Cyborg standalone outgrosses both Justice League and all Avengers titles.

Makes you wonder how the dceu would have turned out if they hadn't trusted the whole thing to freakin Zack Snyder of all people.

Trusted? Sounds like the only guy who was doing DC movies... by the time they got around to even having a "universe", Snyder was knee deep in pre-pro on the third movie. WB has been very knee jerk reactionary and short sighted throughout this entire thing. Here's hoping they have a plan in place now... finally... (and I loved BVS)

Sojgat

It's always funny to me that Superman is apparently such a boring character, who's so impossible to write an engaging and relatable story about, when actual good writers have been doing it in the comics for decades.

There comes a problem with maintaining that over multiple titles year after year, but this isn't a thing with the movies. You've got like half a dozen stories to come up with at the most.

Ivan 3414

You could have said that a few weeks ago and everyone would have thought you were crazy. It is most definitely damning of BvS, but also shows that quality matters.

Yep, and it shows that Rotten Tomatoes matters too. I think there was a topic here a few weeks back about studios ending early screenings for critics just to weaken the influence of RT. I wouldn't be surprised if that's in the future for some of these DC movies.

Yep, and it shows that Rotten Tomatoes matters too. I think there was a topic here a few weeks back about studios ending early screenings for critics just to weaken the influence of RT. I wouldn't be surprised if that's in the future for some of these DC movies.

Rotten Tomatoes only matters to the degree that your movie stinks, though. Make a great movie, you're gonna want those early impressions out there.

WW surpassing BvS makes BvS look even worse. I still don't understand how you have two of the most recognizable heroes and don't make mad bank. On the bright side, I love that people love WW.

Top Bottom