• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Final Fantasy |OT| Lightning Inside

ffvorax

Arrived today! Actually playing Xenoverse 2, so I will play both time by time...

How long is the main quest?
Should I play the main before then all the side quest?
Or is it better to play all the content togheter?
Any other suggestions?

Thx! :D

Question about Mirages:
Ifrit, shiva and Ramuth, I have the 3 samall versions, and I'm only able to transform them to the medium version ( I'm in the chain dungeon (to bahamuth castle or something like that? part of the story, after you get the airship ), How do I get the higher transformations? do I have to advance more in the story or what?

Try not to spoil me too much if that's the case.

I think I'm regretting getting this on Vita. Game seems to look jaggy and low frame rate. Might return it for PS4 version.

For me it looks fine, and the fps doesn't bother me.. but the loading times man!, every time a battle start, you have like 10seconds wait =( (or it feels like it), and some times it gets stucks and take some times to load something or the next conversation.

Razmos

Question about Mirages:
Ifrit, shiva and Ramuth, I have the 3 samall versions, and I'm only able to transform them to the medium version ( I'm in the chain dungeon (to bahamuth castle or something like that? part of the story, after you get the airship ), How do I get the higher transformations? do I have to advance more in the story or what?

Try not to spoil me too much if that's the case.

For me it looks fine, and the fps doesn't bother me.. but the loading times man!, every time a battle start, you have like 10seconds wait =( (or it feels like it), and some times it gets stucks and take some times to load something or the next conversation.
You get the mementos from the coliseum

ZeroX03

Banned
So mirage board mastery, it seems stat+++ boost is almost always the best choice? The spells are usually things you can get from mirajewels. I suppose you could get resistance++ if you wanted a team that can't be exploited at all, but +50 for a stat is pretty significant and not easily replicated any other way.

Nose Master

Plot question, spoilers for the area right before balamb garden:
are you supposed to know who the fake wyn was at this point? I'm assuming it was kros or tearoom girl (who I think is just a young kros cause time magic), cause she was curiously out of her room when I checked inbetween story events.

BOTEC

I just got the first
key (fire), and got flushed down to the swamp where I met Snow.
Not really feeling this game. The Mirages are lame, raising them isn't fun, or very beneficial beyond stat upgrades. Making stacks feels like a chore, and again doesn't give me any tangible benefit. The character cameos aren't doing anything for me.
Oh cool, Faris and Quistis are in this game. Sweet. OK, now I'm on a boat without them, and oh, I just fell down a waterfall and cameo over.
What was even the point of that? Random NPCs could have replaced them in that scene. If the idea behind this was a throwback to Final Fantasy 1 where the gameplay was a slog, and story sucked, they've achieved their goal. Or did they channel FF13 where I need to play 80 hours before it gets good?

Wazzy

Banned
I just got the first
key (fire), and got flushed down to the swamp where I met Snow.
Not really feeling this game. The Mirages are lame, raising them isn't fun, or very beneficial beyond stat upgrades. Making stacks feels like a chore, and again doesn't give me any tangible benefit. The character cameos aren't doing anything for me.
Oh cool, Faris and Quistis are in this game. Sweet. OK, now I'm on a boat without them, and oh, I just fell down a waterfall and cameo over.
What was even the point of that? Random NPCs could have replaced them in that scene. If the idea behind this was a throwback to Final Fantasy 1 where the gameplay was a slog, and story sucked, they've achieved their goal. Or did they channel FF13 where I need to play 80 hours before it gets good?
You need to continue playing. The cameo's don't end there. There's quests involving the characters plus some appear and return later.

I mean I can't help how you feel in regards to the battle system but if it's about callbacks you're interested in they get way better.

BOTEC

You need to continue playing. The cameo's don't end there. There's quests involving the characters plus some appear and return later.

I mean I can't help how you feel in regards to the battle system but if it's about callbacks you're interested in they get way better.

I mean I'd like SOMETHING interesting to happen soon. I feel like I'm treading water and nothing is happening. One of the characters actually said something along the lines of "we don't know what to do other than to keep collecting these pokem... mirages." I feel like I've put in a lot of time and effort into this game, but haven't received anything for my troubles yet.

@GlassEmpires:
I get the fundamentals of stacks but, a) I don't have Ifrit yet, and b) swapping in some other dude with higher fire resistance can for example lower my attach strength. Why would I want to do that? I'll take more damage from elemental attacks sure, but I'll hit back harder. I don't see the practicality of stack management. Especially when in a few screens I'll be in a water elemental area. It all feels like a waste of time.

Weird I don't have a capture prism for the green bihydra found in the Dragon Scars. Apparently I'd met it before as it showed up on the map greyed out when I entered the area. So how can I get a prism to capture this?

BibiMaghoo

There's more? I thought I was done, saw the credits and back to title screen. Well, back to it I guess.

It's pretty funny you say this, and is amusing to me as someone that watches credits. When the first (and second) credits roll, you are not presented with an option to skip them, only to 'return to main menu'. If you do this, your last save will be pre-final boss, and so there is no continue. If you watch both sets of credits, it puts you straight back in the game each time and you continue.

Let this be a lesson to all who skip credits.

I get the fundamentals of stacks but, a) I don't have Ifrit yet, and b) swapping in some other dude with higher fire resistance can for example lower my attach strength. Why would I want to do that? I'll take more damage from elemental attacks sure, but I'll hit back harder. I don't see the practicality of stack management. Especially when in a few screens I'll be in a water elemental area. It all feels like a waste of time.

Then you swap out the mirage that gives you a negative water resistance for the newly acquired mirage that can give you negate, maybe even absorption, of water. And since the entire stack shares an hp pool it's not giving up too much offense for defense and will quickly make up for any sacrificed power by being on the frontline and quickly leveling.

And it's not just elemental resistance, status resistances can stack and individual mirages can be powered by seeds on top of all that.

Brakke

Banned
If you don't enjoy stack-crafting, you really should just walk away from this game.

I've been having fun with Manticore - Lilikin - Big Shark. Manticore can poison and then has some "more likely to crit against poisoned enemies", Shark gets STR buffs every time he crits and has a bunch of crit+ upgrades. Easy to start and snowballs pretty well. Bonus points to pair with a Chrome Giant or whatever it's called stack, who can apply poison on hit.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Are there any really solid early-ish game mirages worth leveling? I hit chapter 8 and, while my Zapt (M) is basically taking care of just about everything, I wouldn't mind a good status and/or multi-element mirage to help capture the random "Inflict 'x' status" or "Use 'x' element attacks" that I don't typically carry around.

Are there any really solid early-ish game mirages worth leveling? I hit chapter 8 and, while my Zapt (M) is basically taking care of just about everything, I wouldn't mind a good status and/or multi-element mirage to help capture the random "Inflict 'x' status" or "Use 'x' element attacks" that I don't typically carry around.

I usually stock items that cause status effects and elemental attacks. No idea about a good starting mirage.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Weird I don't have a capture prism for the green bihydra found in the Dragon Scars. Apparently I'd met it before as it showed up on the map greyed out when I entered the area. So how can I get a prism to capture this?

Same thing happened to me with Kuza Kit. What probably happened was that you unlocked Bihydra's board while leveling Dualizard. Once you unlock a board, it'll appear as having been seen before in the bestiary, and you won't get a prism for it when you first encounter it. I don't know if this is a bug or not.

You can simply transfig your dualizard into a bihydra and unlock the first SP slot on its board and it will be marked as captured after that.

Pejo

Gold Member
The answer to this is probably no, but do you ever get the ability to make a 3rd stack, like hopefully out of monsters only? I feel extremely limited with builds, and it seems like every good monster I have is Mid sized, which really sucks for my stacks. I wish you could turn the player characters into baby mode and have them be Small sized.

BLCKATK

Just got the game on Friday, about 16 hours in on chapter 13. I've been going back to old areas, and doing a bit of grinding too. It's fun to level up new mobs and I love when you take down those secret bosses. Windswept Mire Spoiler:
Flan Princess and Malboro Menace
gave me some trouble and it was the first time I felt challenged. Was handsomely rewarded with a TON of exp.

The only thing that has bummed me out about the whole experience is that some of the unique mirages that don't have connections in their boards are criminally underpowered. I've been using Phoenix (it's easily my favorite FF summon) and it just does not compare to other large mirages, doesn't even come close. It's a huge bummer. Any way to power these guys up (or another way to transfig or reach Phoenix on the Board)?

The answer to this is probably no, but do you ever get the ability to make a 3rd stack, like hopefully out of monsters only? I feel extremely limited with builds, and it seems like every good monster I have is Mid sized, which really sucks for my stacks. I wish you could turn the player characters into baby mode and have them be Small sized.

You'll find Large Mirages that are good, trust me. Once you're medium guys start making their way to the end of their boards they may change into something you can use.

No 3rd stack, but Post Game Content Spoiler:
you can remove Reynn and Lann from the party if you want in the post game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm trying to get the three baby elementals. Grinding for baby Ifrit is destroying the balance haha. My party is just silly at this point.

How do linked stat mirage boards work? Do all forms benefit from all forms of stat and skill boosts or do you have to do something to get those bonuses?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I caved and have this downloading now. Anything I should know? Advice?

I'm only 10 hours in, so take this for what you will. If you want to overlevel, pick Ramuh. He allows you to farm early game and get 6-10k exp per fight crazy easily. Also, you'll get a chance relatively early to recruit Right Claw - do so and level him to get the skill that prevents enemies from escaping. Really helpful for a few specific early game mirages that like to flee.

Oh and check out your mirages and make sure you work towards the field abilities. Sizzle, Flutter, etc. These are important for finding secret areas and such.

kaiiri

Having some issues with the Japanese Dialogue.

I have the preorder version, and I've installed all the DLC (including the Japanese VO one), yet it still won't let me turn on Voiced Dialogue in the options. Am I missing something? I even tried reinstalling the DLC but still nothing. = (

squall211

If you examine the book in the middle it goes page by page with an accurate Blue Magic spell from the Pg enemies from FFV. Thought that was a nice touch.

It really is amazing how many things like this there are for long time fans of the series. I absolutely adore this game.

Saphirax

Having some issues with the Japanese Dialogue.

I have the preorder version, and I've installed all the DLC (including the Japanese VO one), yet it still won't let me turn on Voiced Dialogue in the options. Am I missing something? I even tried reinstalling the DLC but still nothing. = (

Did you have the game running as you were DLing the VO? You may need to close it and start it up again.

kaiiri

Did you have the game running as you were DLing the VO? You may need to close it and start it up again.

I tried that as well. Even closed the game, rehit the install button, loaded up the game and nothing. Bleh. Guess I'll try again. English VA isn't bad so far, just very curious to hearing the Japanese VAs, especially since I'm an anime watcher and use to reading subtitles.

I tried that as well. Even closed the game, rehit the install button, loaded up the game and nothing. Bleh. Guess I'll try again. English VA isn't bad so far, just very curious to hearing the Japanese VAs, especially since I'm an anime watcher and use to reading subtitles.
I will say that if you're not fluent in Japanese but have picked up a little bit of understanding from watching anime (that's about where I'm at), the game's not terrible played with Japanese VA and English subs. The humor in the Japanese dialogue seems to be extremely dependent on their brand of wordplay and that kind of stuff rarely translates well, so you'll definitely know when stuff is flying over your head.

English VA tends to annoy me because I'm usually done reading the text before the actor gets past the second word in the dialogue box, so I tend to turn it off or switch to Japanese when it is available.

I'm only 10 hours in, so take this for what you will. If you want to overlevel, pick Ramuh. He allows you to farm early game and get 6-10k exp per fight crazy easily. Also, you'll get a chance relatively early to recruit Right Claw - do so and level him to get the skill that prevents enemies from escaping. Really helpful for a few specific early game mirages that like to flee.

Oh and check out your mirages and make sure you work towards the field abilities. Sizzle, Flutter, etc. These are important for finding secret areas and such.

Thanks for the tip. Just got done downloading.

Can anyone tell me how much longer I have to go?
Chapter 21 I believe, doing the intervetion story quests to kill the cogna the twins let in. Getting a little bored as I've had all the fights on auto using basic attacks for almost the entire game and I didn't even spend any time leveling. =\

Same thing happened to me with Kuza Kit. What probably happened was that you unlocked Bihydra's board while leveling Dualizard. Once you unlock a board, it'll appear as having been seen before in the bestiary, and you won't get a prism for it when you first encounter it. I don't know if this is a bug or not.

You can simply transfig your dualizard into a bihydra and unlock the first SP slot on its board and it will be marked as captured after that.

Hmm yeah you could be right. Makes some sense. I feared it could be a bug :(

Thanks.

Hmm yeah you could be right. Makes some sense. I feared it could be a bug :(

Thanks.
I did the exact same thing with Dualizard/Bihydra, and if you really want to catch one yourself while keeping your Dualizard, just switch the Dualizard over to Bihydra and spend points to get a Prism for it, then switch back. Or catch a second Dualizard and move it into that Mirage tree permanently. Both give Prisms somewhere on the Mirage Board, so it isn't too huge a deal as you can always go back and catch a new one as long as you get enough SP on the old one. And Points earned can be spent once per evolutionary branch, so it isn't like you lose anything.

Brakke

Banned
I'm trying to get the three baby elementals. Grinding for baby Ifrit is destroying the balance haha. My party is just silly at this point.

How do linked stat mirage boards work? Do all forms benefit from all forms of stat and skill boosts or do you have to do something to get those bonuses?

A given mirage benefits from all boards visible on the Mirage Boards screen where you pick which board to spend stats on. Except for abilities with little borders around them (listed in green text in the View Abilities screen), which are only active in the form corresponding to the board they're on.

Some mirages can transfix to different trees. So the forms in the cubes on the Mirage Board screen changes. Those get their own set of SP but don't benefit from abilities unlocked on the other tree. For example, lil chocobo and regular chocobo share abilities except for example Stroll, which is exclusive to lil. Chocobo can also tranfig to black chocobo who's level will stay the same, but have his own SP pool.

In short, you basically never want to level two mirages at the same time if one can transfig to the other.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
A given mirage benefits from all boards visible on the Mirage Boards screen where you pick which board to spend stats on. Except for abilities with little borders around them (listed in green text in the View Abilities screen), which are only active in the form corresponding to the board they're on.

Some mirages can transfix to different trees. So the forms in the cubes on the Mirage Board screen changes. Those get their own set of SP but don't benefit from abilities unlocked on the other tree. For example, lil chocobo and regular chocobo share abilities except for example Stroll, which is exclusive to lil. Chocobo can also tranfig to black chocobo who's level will stay the same, but have his own SP pool.

In short, you basically never want to level two mirages at the same time if one can transfig to the other.

That's sort of what I thought, but the confusing part is the last chunk of the second paragraph.

Why can't my black chocobo benefit from my regular? What is the indicator on my screen to show me this explicitly? And on some boards, I've noticed a transfig spot and a mirage board slot. What's the difference there?

Top Bottom